Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Impure love also acceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can't say I regret my time spent on muv-luv but the longer time goes by the more I think Alternative wasn't actually that great.

Altered Fable on the other hand.....

Alternative is very exciting in the moment, but I look back more fondly on Unlimited now that it's been a few years since I played them all in one hit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin.

Gaius Marius posted:

Well you have to do meiya and sumika before you can move on. Also meiya us by and by far the best

Everytime I hear "Meiya" I just think "noble confidante" and laugh. Something about her character is sort of amusingly sad.

Luceid posted:

Alternative is very exciting in the moment, but I look back more fondly on Unlimited now that it's been a few years since I played them all in one hit.

Nice to see other people with this opinion.

I liked the first portion of Alternative quite a bit, though. Not sure what fraction of the overall story it comprises, but roughly until it starts becoming more action-packed.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jesus Christ

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

There's a lot going on and it has me feeling a very specific way

WarpDogs
Apr 30, 2009

That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.

College Slice

Alternative is infamously brutal, and there are a couple scenes in particular that'll gently caress with even the most hardened gamer

It's absolutely worth it. But buckle up

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Everything comes from a regional processing and distribution center in outer space

Just jumped into House in Fata Morgana and man, the art and music are great but I loving hate Mell so far. Someone please tell me that his story/part/whatever is at least somewhat short

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

it's only a small chunk

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Everything comes from a regional processing and distribution center in outer space

The Colonel posted:

it's only a small chunk

Ah cool. Just got to a part whose title mentions "fast-acting poison" so I'm assuming I'm near the end of part 1 lol

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Alrighty so I'm gonna try and parse my thoughts covering my last session, since I took a few days off to recharge. It's gonna fail miserably but I'm gonna try. Just gonna probably throw the whole thing up in spoilers because while I'm sure I can cover a lot of it vaguely enough and it's probably well trodden ground, if I'm only going through it right now there may be someone else who has dilly dallied this long, idk, but I'm liking things enough that I would hate to ruin something for them.

-Gonna be honest, I was pretty excited about the whole 'tournament arc' idea with the new OS training thing but something in the atmosphere seemed... Off. Takeru has kinda jumped between being a smug prick and an absolute wreck and this was kinda his height of smug prickness.I mean, I get it, it's to set him up high before cutting him off at the knees but god drat was it kinda hard to read. But the whole thing with the legit nice guy squad being introduced so soon after you had stuff like the (ostensibly) good guy-ish american forces being nice right before they got taken out, it seemed very obvious that they were intending Something Bad to happen. But I'll get back to that in a sec.

-The attack seemed normal enough for a Muv Luv action scene but what threw me through a loop was the hypnosis trigger sequence. I know they had talked about stimulants and stuff setting off pilots before with Chizuru and such but that scene was kinda the first time they really show you the hosed up ness of the military beyond just vaguely uncomfortably militaristic fervor. Does the hypnosis ever come up before this point, and I just zoned out over it? Either way, at the end of the attack I was totally expecting Takeru to get killed and start another loop but nope.

-Instead we got That Scene. I don't think I can really say more beyond the Jesus Christ from earlier, but also the whole thing about the Something Bad from earlier does kinda roll around from being an obvious marker to a pretty decent piece of misdirection in my mind. You go from Takeru being smug and overconfident and getting praised to high heaven setting up a very obvious poo poo goes south moment, to freaking out and being saved and comforted which makes it seem like he's gotten through the worst and then bam, that happens to make things even worse just when you thought you were in the clear. It came out after such a tense moment that it just left me feeling empty, which I suppose was the intent but god drat.

-Literally everything after that, from the interrogation to the pushing down Meiya to the running back 'home' and the being an rear end in a top hat to everyone there made me feel sick to my stomach. Just absolutely miserable. It's understandable, mind you, and I can't say that in the same situation I wouldn't find it hard to go back to a life like that but jesus.

-And just when it can't get even more hosed up the entire thing with 'home' marimo. And then there's the thing with seeing Meiya's memories fade right in front of us was also a pretty nasty bit of knife twisting, at least for me. And even for me not liking Sumika, the explanation and memory fading and flashbacks to the diaries that we see in early Extra was a gut punch.

Past that is kinda a blur between the big infodumps that 'home' and 'alternate' Yuuko give and the new introductions, but all I can say about that whole segment is A. i am extremely worried for our 'new' squadmates and B. holy gently caress yuuko is a piece of poo poo.

Overall I definitely am engrossed but man this game knows how to pull at my strings. One thing though that I can't really do is assert my preference for any given game so far because honestly, everything has been linked so tightly and called back to so regularly that I can't really mentally register them as different games at this point. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with playing them all back to back like this with basically no stops but it's just been such a tightly knit experience so far. I guess I'll see how things play out by the time I get to the end.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PRETTY SURE THAT ONE'S SARCASM, BOSS

Muv Luv was originally intended to be one game yeah.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljulqkkw6Ik

Wow, hell of a time for this to happen.

Guess now that it's coming back into popular consciousness I'm gonna have to start chugging so as to not see something that's gonna spoil me on stuff.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Also sorry for a double post but I just got past the island in alternative and God I can't stand the whole constantly beating me over the head with 'boy I sure am not interested in meiya' shtick. Feels like it happens every time she shows up and it's really starting to grate.

Having an extended one immediately after the big gut wrenching event and a not so subtle 'hey you should bone down sumika' suggestion from the doc sure spoils the whole gradual cooling down from the emotional high

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Any must-plays worth looking into in the Steam Golden Week sale right now?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

fata morgana
ai
428: shibuya scramble
the silver case
25th ward

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 1, 2021

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Played Umineko and Fata Morgana already, and I own AI, but I picked up 428, Silver Case, and 25th Ward.

Thanks for the recs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

428's a really fun ride and i'm a huge fan of the silver case/fsr/25th ward trilogy so i hope you enjoy

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And I'm finished with alternative.

boy it takes a hell of a game to have me go from a weeping wreck to bittersweet laughing, albeit admittedly still emotional over it, ironically at pretty much the same times takeru did in the epilogue

I'm gonna have to compose my thoughts after this but overall I have to say, I'm super glad I finally got to experience this series. Highs and lows I think it was great.

WarpDogs
Apr 30, 2009

That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about stars to dispute it.

College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And I'm finished with alternative.

boy it takes a hell of a game to have me go from a weeping wreck to bittersweet laughing, albeit admittedly still emotional over it, ironically at pretty much the same times takeru did in the epilogue

I'm gonna have to compose my thoughts after this but overall I have to say, I'm super glad I finally got to experience this series. Highs and lows I think it was great.

I was going to say that you finished it pretty quickly, but after looking at my own logs I think I also finished it in one week. What a game, huh?

It's one of my favorite stories of all time, and while it's had some (understandable) pushback here and elsewhere, I don't think any other VN could top it for me. I still can't listen to that soundtrack without crying

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Asu e no houkou stills got a place on my workout playlist. What a loving opening.

One thing I'll give Alt is I don't think it has a single moment of real downtime, It's hitting highs constantly

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And now I just finished Altered Fable. Gotta say, it made for a pretty good healing experience after Alternative. I can't say I'm a super fan of all the weird spy poo poo that kinda sneaks in all over the place, or the 'all a dream' kinda thing with the simulation machine but overall I feel it was a real good capstone.

Despite it making a good endcap, I'm a little sad to see it end here. I'm probably gonna end up doing more routes in it just to kinda round it out a bit better. That said I do wish the ending had a bit more, idk how to put it, finality to it? I get that it's trying to go for a 'and so the wacky hijinks continue', maybe to leave things open for the future or something, but it would've been nice for a little flash forward to things settling down like Extra had but hey that's admittedly nitpicking. Either way it definitely felt refreshing, like taking the weights from Alternative off.

Weird BIAS
Jul 4, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Itís nice going through a vn and getting obsessed with a song in it and learning it on piano. Just got through the House in Fata Morgana proper and still have the requiem and reincarnation parts to go.

Cicio will just be stuck in my head for a long time.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Weird BIAS posted:

Itís nice going through a vn and getting obsessed with a song in it and learning it on piano. Just got through the House in Fata Morgana proper and still have the requiem and reincarnation parts to go.

Cicio will just be stuck in my head for a long time.

Even years later cicio gets stuck in my head still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Whoa i got my first muv luv reaction this really is the new VN thread