Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furnaceface posted:

So wait now Im confused. Should I watch season 1+2 of the anime before starting Date a Live? Or is that covered in Rinne Utopia?

I honestly dont even know what its about so I dont want to jump in at the mid point and miss out on important details.

Only season one is before the first VN, I guess you could try it but honestly the whole thing is kinda generic and its probably not worth going to a lot of trouble for. From what I remember it gives a rundown of previous events at the start but I'd seen the anime so I dunno if its comprehensive enough for someone who hasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sakurazuka posted:

Only season one is before the first VN, I guess you could try it but honestly the whole thing is kinda generic and its probably not worth going to a lot of trouble for. From what I remember it gives a rundown of previous events at the start but I'd seen the anime so I dunno if its comprehensive enough for someone who hasn't.

Yeah, it gives you a rundown of what happened. You can read as is if you want.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Colonel posted:

that fha scene is one of the best scenes i've ever seen in a vn

As a Sakura Stan I hate it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
higanbana's weird, the first game is like half stories i liked and half stories i didn't or at least thought had lots of weird aspects, so far the second night has had a really good start tho. lunar festival and 13 steps are two of the strongest stories in this whole thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
im readimng fata morgana

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You post about it in the discord well after I go to bed so I'm not able to comment on it in real time but I hope you like it!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

You post about it in the discord well after I go to bed so I'm not able to comment on it in real time but I hope you like it!!

i've been enjoying it, the first door was kinda eh but the second door was pretty interesting and the third door was cool. i'm i think midway through the fifth door right now and the stuff with giselle and michel has definitely kicked into a really interesting gear

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
fata morgana rules!! maria rules!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I also wasn't sure how I felt about the early doors, especially when my initial impressions were that it was going to be mostly only vaguely connected vignettes, but I do think by the end when you look back at them they feel very necessary and absolutely do contribute a lot to what the story actually has to say. They're awkward in spots but it winds up feeling purposeful, if that makes sense.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Which Discord are we in?

I've been dragging my feet through Making Lovers. It's good but just motivation for stuff is low now. The date stuff isn't that big of a deal. I've never chosen wrong but it is a nice sweet series.

After I finish, I'll finally get off my rear end and start going through Higurashi. I finished Chapter 1 but got distracted before doing the rest.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wow michel's door

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Michel Bolinger’s No Good, Very Bad Life

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm on the final door. i like that the first two 2/3rds of the story are largely kind of dour and freaky, and then a lot of the last 1/3 is michel having incredibly goofy back and forths with everyone else while going on an adventure through time and space to bring morgana peace. it's probably my favorite part just for how big and weird a shift it is in the writing

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's the exactly the sort of tone and shift you needed after how harrowing so much of the rest of the story was, and the way/when it is pulled off makes it feel earned. And while it's obviously not 100% the case, in a lot of the sidestories and especially the story postmortem by the cast it's a tone that carried on through. It always gave me the strong impression that Novectacle deeply cared about the world and characters they had written.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I really do recommend reading the two additions that came out after. I think it caps off the series beautifully.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm playing ai and it's weird playing a new uchikoshi game after not playing one for eight years cause i skipped out on ztd after i played vlr

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've begun experiencing marco & the galaxy dragon

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

The Colonel posted:

im readimng fata morgana

hell yueah, its so good. need to try the sequel soon!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm reading flowers 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
an english translation of the psp port of the classic ps1 adventure game with animation from production ig, double cast, just came out

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5777/

i haven't jumped into it quite yet but the translator who handled it does pretty good work from what i've seen and this is a pretty wild game to see translated into english after all these years

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
Just finished Raging Loop and I sort of liked the ending. It feels like it ran on dream logic. Yeah they just pipe in dogs into the village, don't think about it too much. Haruaki deals with the feast by knowing exactly where the first sacrifice victims are, even though I don't remember seeing it mentioned. Then he settles Rikako with a True Name technicality that seems to serve no other purpose and has everyone reeling. And then finally he just walks up to the people who have been organizing these mass murders for years, beats them up and tells them "actually, here's a better story, did you like it? okay, leave" and they shrug and do it. It's like he had a plan in his head, and by sheer will the world just conformed to it.

There's one thing that skeeved me out about Rikako. I was a little leery on the "Bedroom Womanservant" thing but it was never too detailed up to the ending so I assumed it was just background. And then it's just revealed that she had sex everyone in the village. It feels so incredibly unnecessary when there were so many other ways to explain away her goals and objectives. Am I misinterpreting things? Is this contextualized in the extra content? I saw several recommendations for the game around the forums but that single story tidbit left a bad taste in my mouth.

I read that the author was working on another vn titled RD back in 2019. Did it get delayed or cancelled because of COVID?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

batteries! posted:

Just finished Raging Loop and I sort of liked the ending. It feels like it ran on dream logic. Yeah they just pipe in dogs into the village, don't think about it too much. Haruaki deals with the feast by knowing exactly where the first sacrifice victims are, even though I don't remember seeing it mentioned. Then he settles Rikako with a True Name technicality that seems to serve no other purpose and has everyone reeling. And then finally he just walks up to the people who have been organizing these mass murders for years, beats them up and tells them "actually, here's a better story, did you like it? okay, leave" and they shrug and do it. It's like he had a plan in his head, and by sheer will the world just conformed to it.
Good interpretation - one of the afterstories backs it up somewhat. I think the True Name thing just relates to Haruaki being a scumbag who deceives women though, I assume he always gives a fake name to make it harder for them to track him down after he ditches them.

batteries! posted:

There's one thing that skeeved me out about Rikako. I was a little leery on the "Bedroom Womanservant" thing but it was never too detailed up to the ending so I assumed it was just background. And then it's just revealed that she had sex everyone in the village. It feels so incredibly unnecessary when there were so many other ways to explain away her goals and objectives. Am I misinterpreting things? Is this contextualized in the extra content? I saw several recommendations for the game around the forums but that single story tidbit left a bad taste in my mouth.
The Uematsus going from being a revered group of sacred prostitutes to a shunned caste as society changed is an important part of Rikako's motivation and the mythological throughline (it's a take on the "whore spider" youkai). Having sex with everyone as part of her plan plays into that mythology but yeah, it might be too much for a villain who's still mostly presented as sympathetic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

batteries! posted:

it's a story pretty heavily based in fairly old and extremely, extremely small town Japanese stuff, where that sort of thing would actually happen, but it's a bit strange for a story set in the modern day, yeah.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Uematsus going from being a revered group of sacred prostitutes to a shunned caste as society changed is an important part of Rikako's motivation and the mythological throughline (it's a take on the "whore spider" youkai). Having sex with everyone as part of her plan plays into that mythology but yeah, it might be too much for a villain who's still mostly presented as sympathetic.

I didn't make that connection, interesting. They touch on it a little at the end but it moves so fast.

Endorph posted:

it's a story pretty heavily based in fairly old and extremely, extremely small town Japanese stuff, where that sort of thing would actually happen, but it's a bit strange for a story set in the modern day, yeah.

It surprised me, wasn't expecting a switch from comedy to that. I think it's about half an hour between the protagonist being buried in sheep poo poo to reset the loop and getting to that part.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Part of the implications i caught when the whole story starts coming together is that its implied that this isnt Haruaki's first rodeo. Throughout the story we see an affinity for him telling stories, get an idea that hes not telling the whole truth, and he never seems too suprised by the supernatural elements. The actions he takes to resolve everything, including the spoilers stuff, makes more sense if you consider hes dealt with other stuff like this before - that this is one entry in a series of adventures we haven't witnessed.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
With all that, plus the ending basically putting Haruaki roughly back where he started, I was surprised when I looked it up and didn't find any indication that it was intended to be a series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

With all that, plus the ending basically putting Haruaki roughly back where he started, I was surprised when I looked it up and didn't find any indication that it was intended to be a series.
There's some crossover with other VNs but Haruaki isn't the connective tissue.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

So my umineko speculation for episode 1, which is entirely based on reading up to halfway through, is that the inevitable murders are someone trying to word for word copy the epitah

Why did nobody lol at me for this basic bitch speculation

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We all respect the sanctity of the Blind Umineko Playthrough

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Speaking of (mostly) blind umineko playthroughs, I just finished Chapter 3 and I'm going to post my current speculations so you can ahahahah.wav:

Assumptions:
- Magic isn't real
- The murderer isn't necessarily the same murder and isn't necessarily different each time.
- as a corollary to point 1, any scene where a character talks to (any) Beatrice isn't real, and if the character relates that encounter later, they are deliberately lying
- The red truths are always true but only as exactly worded. Anything that Battler inside the board (as opposed to the Battler playing against Beatrice) sees is more or less real. Any scene where Battler is not present is always dubious at best.

Okay, so with those in mind:

My working hypothesis each time is that a different set of parents are the murderers, in the order Krauss -> Rosa -> Eva -> (Rudolf or Kyrie in Ch. 4)

Chapter 1:
Red Truths and player-Beatrice haven't even been introduced yet on this board, so none of the "closed rooms" are necessarily closed at all. Natsuhi is the big focus character here and leads the group around on a wild goose chase to discover the seemingly closed room murders. Krauss looks like one of the corpses from the first twilight with his face fully smashed in, but since we never get the red truth we can't be sure he's actually dead. The game spends a lot of time looking at what Battler and George are doing in the scene where the first twilight corpses are discovered and they're busy mourning Shannon and Rudolf/Kyrie respectively. Natsuhi's apparent death happens so close to the end that we aren't even sure what's going on since everyone's too spooked during the final twilight.

Chapter 2:
Rosa is definitely the most suspicious one here. She "witnesses" the arrival of physical Beatrice with Maria. I think it's important that Physical Beatrice is dressed not in Beatrice's usual frilly dress but in more modern looking clothes, which matches the theory that Beatrice is the child of an old affair with Kinzo. Rosa is also the one leading the dwindling group around for a while, and at the very end during the "witches' banquet" she and Maria are implied to both be still alive. The game shows them succumbing to an army of goat butlers but since things like that don't exist, we can come up with an alternative hypothesis: Rosa dressed up like Beatrice (Ch.3 suggests she knew the 19-years-ago real Beatrice), tricks the family, switches back to dressing like Rosa, discovers the bodies during the first twilight, then finishes the rest to keep up the impression that there is a Beatrice. The Beatrice at the end playing against Kinzo is really Rosa, and the scene with Rosa and Maria running and gunning away from the goats is just imagination. Battler doesn't realize this because he's intoxicated during this last scene, possibly drugged as well.

Chapter 3:
It's pretty much outright stated that Eva is one of the killers here, and she certainly shoots Battler in the end. Most of the murders are pretty sloppy, with an obvious murder weapon linking her to most of the crimes (the Winchester/Chiester Sisters). Hideyoshi's clearly an accomplice at least part of the way, since Beatrice practically gives that away while analyzing Kyrie's corpse. The Nanjo puzzle at the end seems impossible until you look at the wording of EVA Beatrice's web of red truths. It may be true that all others except for Eva, Battler, and Jessica are dead now, but this doesn't exclude the possibility of a mutual kill or some kind of delayed action cause of death. We don't get a good look at Nanjo's corpse, so it's possible one of Eva's accomplices was still alive but died in the time between Nanjo's treatment of Jessica and EVA Beatrice springing the trap.

Beatrice's japes got me good though.

I'll be watching Rudolf and Kyrie's actions closely over Chapter 4 to see if it confirms my overall theory.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ooh, Umineko speculation! Keep it up! It wasn't too long ago that I was in my Umineko liveblogging days. In chapter 3 (not a spoiler to you) I was absolutely stumped at the end of chapter 3. EVA-BEATRICE's red web did a good one on me.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
making my first post in this thread to say that i bought all of the higurashi chapters and the umineko question and answer arcs on sale off of steam. diving into higurashi ch 1 now :thumbsup:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

pretty chill time in higurashi so far a few hours in. about to go to this cool sounding festival. seems fun!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

psychoJ posted:

making my first post in this thread to say that i bought all of the higurashi chapters and the umineko question and answer arcs on sale off of steam. diving into higurashi ch 1 now :thumbsup:
When you get to the end of the 4th one, the end credits have some jumbled together text that you shouldn't make any attempt to read/decode. They're commentary from the author that the translation stuck there for some reason, even though they're from something written post-series and spoil things.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

starting chapter 2 of higurashi and immediately i'm afraid of everybody now. interested to see if this is a big ol' flashback chapter, since 15 minutes in that's how it's feeling to me, or if there's something else going on...(there's probably something else going on)

^^^^also thanks for the heads up. i'll be sure to keep that in mind when I l finish chapter 4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did not know the trial sequences in danganronpa would be so long holy moly

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

gotta say(Higurashi Ch 2 spoiler)The Great Curry Cookoff definitely has warmed my heart from seeing everybody back each other up to all win together(except for Rena. oh well)

btw i patched my game(s) with the 07th console patch and i gotta say the opening to chapter 2 is a BANGER. also it's the same singer for steins gate's OPs i think?
(spoilers i think) https://youtu.be/8uKWvgpD6wY

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 26, 2020

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Yeah it is nice (Higurashi Chapter 2) to see the gang back together and hanging out again.

I definitely want to hear Higurashi thoughts during/after chapter 3.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What are the weirdest, most imaginative and creative visual novels you’ve ever seen?

I’m brainstorming ideas for a game mod I’m making, and part of it involves making a handful of small but creative and engaging VNs, or at least VN-like experiences you can accomplish with Renpy.

That got me thinking about what kind of cool poo poo you can pull off in a VN that isn’t just about clicking through text boxes and dialogue. Unfortunately, the extent of my VN experience amounts to Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, which aren’t all that creative or weird. And they’re certainly not transformative, game-like, or boundary-pushers.

But I know there’s good, cool, weird poo poo out there, even if it isn’t necessarily popular! I just need to find it. Any recommendations on that front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As in loving with the engine like ddlc or in terms of loving with the conventions of the genre like ever 17?