Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fata Morgana does a bunch of interesting things with the format and is also very good in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gaius Marius posted:

As in loving with the engine like ddlc or in terms of loving with the conventions of the genre like ever 17?

Both! Though I guess in my case, I’m more likely to try and gently caress with the engine, or at least with preconceived notions of what a VN “is”. Kind of like if you do something weird like implement an RPG, cookie clicker, or operating system in a VN’s engine. Which I suppose is somewhere between the two example games.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Pollyanna posted:

What are the weirdest, most imaginative and creative visual novels you’ve ever seen?

I’m brainstorming ideas for a game mod I’m making, and part of it involves making a handful of small but creative and engaging VNs, or at least VN-like experiences you can accomplish with Renpy.

That got me thinking about what kind of cool poo poo you can pull off in a VN that isn’t just about clicking through text boxes and dialogue. Unfortunately, the extent of my VN experience amounts to Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, which aren’t all that creative or weird. And they’re certainly not transformative, game-like, or boundary-pushers.

But I know there’s good, cool, weird poo poo out there, even if it isn’t necessarily popular! I just need to find it. Any recommendations on that front?

Have you tried If Found yet? I wouldn’t say it’s one of the most creative I’ve ever seen but the way you interact with the story is really cool, and i loved the art and animation

https://youtu.be/q_Qs6CjGeQc

VVVVVVV yea that’s another I was thinking of

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 28, 2020

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Both! Though I guess in my case, I’m more likely to try and gently caress with the engine, or at least with preconceived notions of what a VN “is”. Kind of like if you do something weird like implement an RPG, cookie clicker, or operating system in a VN’s engine. Which I suppose is somewhere between the two example games.

Not sure if this is reasonable for a small project, but 428: Shibuya Scramble does a neat thing where you play from different character's viewpoints and, depending on your choices as you progress, unlock more parts of the other character's stories. So you constantly go back and forth between characters, with the side effect that you get some lighter comedy moments between the heavy stuff and that the tension builds up slowly as you try to figure out how the stories are connected.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Pollyanna posted:

What are the weirdest, most imaginative and creative visual novels you’ve ever seen?

I’m brainstorming ideas for a game mod I’m making, and part of it involves making a handful of small but creative and engaging VNs, or at least VN-like experiences you can accomplish with Renpy.

That got me thinking about what kind of cool poo poo you can pull off in a VN that isn’t just about clicking through text boxes and dialogue. Unfortunately, the extent of my VN experience amounts to Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, which aren’t all that creative or weird. And they’re certainly not transformative, game-like, or boundary-pushers.

But I know there’s good, cool, weird poo poo out there, even if it isn’t necessarily popular! I just need to find it. Any recommendations on that front?

For more traditional VNs:
  • Umineko maybe? It is definitely very unique, one can't really deny that.
  • Fata Morgana was already mentioned, and it is pretty unique I think.
  • I think IO is weird and convoluted, but that is in a bad way.
There are some things that are often considered VNs that are more than just clicking text boxes and dialogue, but you would have to consider the success and how unique these these are on your own merits.
  • The Zero Escape series works through "escape the room" type puzzles, which are a fun break from the VN segments.
  • I remember WILL: A Wonderful World is a Chinese VN that had a unique rewriting the past mechanic thing, though I never finished it (I had a weird teacher student relationship you see often in eastern media)
  • The Ace Attorney/Danganronpa games are sometimes considered VNs, though the classification is controversial. Obviously the gamepay is investigation followed by courtroom for the both of them.
  • There are several fighting game/VN fighter hybrid like Melty Blood and BlazBlu
  • Baldr Sky has action game gameplay segments.
  • The Utawarerumono series is the most well known strategy hybrid, but there are a bunch more
Honestly, looking at the vndb hybrid page is a helpful snapshot of that, though they are biased against western visual novels IMO (they removed LLTQ, for example).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I don't actually play all that many Vn's but I thought up a couple ideas.

You could have the MC in a sort of desperate situation they need to escape, say a fire. Autosave to not piss people off and then the first time through the person playing would be clicking and clicking through dialogue, and then, bop. Your MC dies in the fire. Auto load and then second time stick a timer on top, one constantly counting down, they start clicking as fast as possible but the dude just keeps thinking and the time runs out. Load again and this time the intrepid player starts text skipping, bam text starts hitting so fast they're finally able to extricate themselves. Cap it off with another character asking how they made it, and the MC just goes IDK man I couldn't think I just had to run like hell and not think.

Bam, you've used the traditional VN engine in a unique way, and played with the idea of what it'd be like in real life, you can't stop and think you have to start action immediately in such a situation.

Another idea is to create a strong division between the player and the MC. Have a generic as hell plot start with the MC waking up but commenting that he feels odd. As the game progresses you have decision points that are either what the MC would do or things that vary wildly from his normal behavior. As the game continues have them become more and more extreme, sort of like the old adventure game Harvester. Also start slipping in that his internal monologue is not exactly what's being presented to you. To cap it off have a text file in the game directory that writes as the game progresses in realtime. If you keep doing what he would normally, maybe just giving him an extra bit of confidence to ask out the cute girl or somesuch. he'll express gratitude that despite feeling strange he feels more confident and sure of himself. However if you start doing poo poo that he would never. His log's would become more and more distressed, Begging for whatever possessing him to stop, falling into depression, and wishing for death so he can be free of whatever is violating his will.

For smaller thing's I've always liked the idea of a character that speaks a foreign language. If you do nothing you can never understand them, pop open the options and switch their language to English and bam now you got the story.

Have a character ask something simple like what their birthday is, when you go back in the text log to check and come out. You'll have to make it a text entry instead of a choice, they'll comment on how long it took you.

Have a character with some sort of superpower that they can choose to activate at the cost of damage to their own body, not only have people comment on it when you use it but also have it start garbaling your past text log and deleting some of the pages(unused) of save slots to represent the MC being destroyed mentally.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
let's get weirder.

Sinless - This is basically an adventure game using a VN-like interface. So it looks like a VN but it doesn't meet VNDB's criteria. It's weird and it's available for pennies during the steam sale.

The Censor - An unusual visual style and gameplay that will remind you of other later indie games about doing your job and interacting with a dystopian society.

The Mind's Eclipse - Another adventure-game hybrid with a.... different artstyle.

(i should be able to find more but I need to sleep)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pollyanna posted:

Unfortunately, the extent of my VN experience amounts to Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, which aren’t all that creative or weird. And they’re certainly not transformative, game-like, or boundary-pushers.

both of those got spinoffs that take place in pseudo open worlds with timeloop stuff going on that are creative and weird tho.

also i am going to mention dating sim stuff like Tokiemeki Memorial. They tend to get think of as rather standard when you view them from the outside but there is often a lot of creativity with its systems and mechanics. The otome ones I played surprised me with how much was going on.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
ah, here's one of the other weird games I was looking for - Out Of Frame It's a game about a game, so to speak.

Arigatou, Ningen-san! a game where you interact by touching things, but not in a pervy way

Trying to resist just linking a whole bunch of adventure/escape type things. Hmm, what else is weird...

Astrologaster - interact through a complicated fortune-telling mechanic

LIFEPLUS - frankly I'm not really sure what this is, but it's definitely weird.

Airwaves - a game that is deliberately difficult to play

For a game that is NOT a visual novel, but has a gameplay style that could be used in one, FRAMED. You could do something similar with rearranging a sequence of events/interactions/conversational fragments to change the moods of the participants.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, these are a lot of good suggestions. I'm gonna play through all of these if I can! It's been a long time since I played indie-style visual novels, and especially since I played some of the more creative ones.

Guess I know what I'm doing for the rest of my vacation...and maybe for all of 2021.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Pollyanna posted:

npckc's a pet shop after dark comes to mind, it's a really charming little experiment in what you can do with ren'py. something bite-sized for between some of the bigger games.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
finished chapter 2 of Higurashi. Mion is not my best friend

onto chapter 3 now. Keiichi uh, doesn't seem to be very good at cooking...

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 28, 2020

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

alright i've basically just been shotgunning chapters of higurashi at this point and my thoughts are a mess. on chapter 5. NOT THE loving FINGERNAILS. JESUS CHRIST

also i'm surprised at just how utterly reprehensible shion is when it comes to satoko. but also HER loving FINGERNAILS WHHHHAAT

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, it looks like you can now buy Umineko on PC in English with not-that-terrible sprites and also switch to the original sprites? That's an improvement on the situation the last time I checked.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

It comes with the Pachinko Sprites, lets you change to original, and via modding you can get the PS3 sprites.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you want to use updated sprites you're gonna want to mod in those ps3 ones cause among many other things the pachinko sprites don't even consistently cover every character, and they don't have some of the extra touches the ps3 ones add that make those worth using for a revisit even if you like the original sprites

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

welp i just hit the part later on in higurashi chapter 5 i've been dreading... kind of hoping that it doesn't go into huge detail about rika and satoko's deaths... that might be a bit too much for me......

edit: gently caress

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 1, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Meakashi is a real rough one.

Which makes the anime's choice of removing Shion's TIPs diaries which provide pretty much all of her internal monologues all the more unfortunate because then it's mostly just a series of bad things that happen and then it ends.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the anime fucks up meakashi so badly lol

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

psychoJ posted:

welp i just hit the part later on in higurashi chapter 5 i've been dreading... kind of hoping that it doesn't go into huge detail about rika and satoko's deaths... that might be a bit too much for me......

edit: gently caress

5 bothered me the most out of any of them in terms of gore, so you're far from alone in being uncomfortable with it. If it helps at all, that's not really a preview of things to come (at least in the main series)--5 is just particularly gruesome.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 1, 2021

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

finished chapter 5. it was extremely brutal but in a very compelling way that i could not put it down until i finished it. goddamn.

extremely curious what the "curse" is and if it is actually paranatural. a lot of clues are telling me it isn't buuuuuuut it could very we'll be. i dunno. it's really kind of funny to me how oryou just took credit for all of the murders and disappearances for clout. huge fan of the BAD END where keiichi and mion go on a date and keiichi is randomly stabbed to death, had a big ol lol at that. also i now firmly believe that mion Did Nothing Wrong and she is, in fact, My Best Friend

onto chapter 6: Tsumihoroboshi i goooooooooooo!!!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Pollyanna posted:

If you're interested in this, I kind of think the ur-Example is You and Me and Her, which got an English release this year https://store.steampowered.com/app/1293820/YOU_and_ME_and_HER_A_Love_Story/

Light spoilers, but the fuckery mostly has to do with breaking the fourth wall and characters aware of the fact that they are in a game and trying to modify the game

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 1, 2021

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

immediate Higurashi chapter 6: Tsumihoroboshi spoilers...:
why the gently caress wouldn't you just try to metal gear your way behind mion and then shoot her with your water guns, Keiichi? Shion was fuckin right idiot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So If Found was really hard to get through, especially for me. :smith: I'm glad I checked it out tho. It really was pretty cool.

Fuckin' gobsmacked at all the people involved in creating it, though. Makes me wonder what hope anything I make has.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

one thing about higurashi i gotta ask. do you ever learn a little more about keiichi's parents? they're interesting, to me

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

psychoJ posted:

one thing about higurashi i gotta ask. do you ever learn a little more about keiichi's parents? they're interesting, to me

Kind of? You learn more about Keiichi's life before Hinamizawa, which somewhat involves his family.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think his dad has a slightly larger role in Minagoroshi-hen, and there's one other little interesting thing in Matsuribayashi, but mostly what you've seen is what you get.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

lateish chapter 7 of higurashi: kind of weird to me that nobody doesn't come up with the idea of just getting a huge mob of people in front of satoko's house to scare the poo poo out of teppei. like at this point, when child services just flat out refuses to do anything, it definitely seems like it'd be a smarter use of time and energy. but hey, the sonozaki yakuza just showed up to save the day so that's cool i guess

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

psychoJ posted:

lateish chapter 7 of higurashi: kind of weird to me that nobody doesn't come up with the idea of just getting a huge mob of people in front of satoko's house to scare the poo poo out of teppei. like at this point, when child services just flat out refuses to do anything, it definitely seems like it'd be a smarter use of time and energy. but hey, the sonozaki yakuza just showed up to save the day so that's cool i guess

I think a big thing with Higurashi is about doing things the "right" (but proactive) way. Working around the system can lead to unforseen consequences. In just this example, what if he hurts Satako in retaliation, or uses her as a hostage? What if he fights back and kills someone?

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

I think a big thing with Higurashi is about doing things the "right" (but proactive) way. Working around the system can lead to unforseen consequences. In just this example, what if he hurts Satako in retaliation, or uses her as a hostage? What if he fights back and kills someone?

this is a good point. i guess over the course of the chapter i got tired of everybody having to deal with childe services just dragging their feet over inane bureaucratic bullshit, but that's probably the point of it i suppose.

overall i enjoyed minagoroshi, i just wished that certain parts didn't drag on as long. for instance, takano's whole villain spiel about "becoming" oyashiro-sama. i don't know if it's better in the original version, but i'm playing the modded version with vo dialog, and during that sequence there is basically just her monologue speech over a blank white background, interepersed with her already ongoing monologue. made it feel like it went on forever tbh

and i'm now just a couple hours into higurashi chapter 8... how long into it does it take for takano's background story to end? i've usually found the preamble in higurashi to be not bad to great overall, but here so far it feels like there is a lot of dry political behind-the-scenes stuff that is kind of interesting, buuuuuuuuuut this ain't why im reading higurashi:anime: edit: actually the answer to the spoilered question is it gets a bit better immediately after i made this post i guess:shepface:

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 5, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the tokyo stuff is kind of a short sidenote and the real major backstory they give is a lot more compelling and does a lot to tie together higurashi's themes heading into the end

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

alright so(laterish higurashi ch 8) getting MASSIVE revolver ocelot vibes off of this nomura lady. kind of really looking forward to the reveal of who she is now lol

edit: fuckin' big lol at everybody just completely nailing takano's motive while thinking they're pitching a manga plot. this legit owns so much

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 6, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

Unless you steal from the Sonozakis, then you torture the person to death and dump their body in a drainage ditch as a warning to others

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

so, hanyuu question: she can just become visible to everyone, and also become a ghost again at will now? does this get explained or should i just not worry about it

edit: more progress on chapter 8: Irie!!!! you hosed everything up!!!!!!!! fuckin dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit 2: THANK you for explaining what a slush fund is to me ryukishi07

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 6, 2021

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

dear god. hanyuu actually kind of loving rules now?? what???

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJY6TRfvq9s

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

sorry for the triple post but i finished chapter 8. goddamn. might be one of the most satisfying conclusions to a video game story i've ever seen. pretty crazy that it became a political thriller in a way that made complete sense

time to play the console arcs!:downs:

^^^jesus christ lol

btw are the console arcs good

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 7, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
uhhh some of them are side stories that are pretty okay iirc and some of them are alternate takes on existing chapters that like... well do you really want to go back and just read More Stories About Bad Things Happening

really if you're gonna go into any extended higurashi stuff at this point you should do higurashi rei first, if you can uh, find a way to get the original vn. the ova adaptation for it is okay too but there are some bits in killing dice that are weird in it to me and i dunno how much is the adaptation or not cause the anime adaptations for higurashi are a bit weird overall

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

psychoJ posted:

btw are the console arcs good
Not particularly.

Saikoroshi-hen has some bits of moderate overall importance and is also super short but the rest can be skipped IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just read the alternative-side stories from Muv Luv Photonflowers and they were decce but I wish the marimo and chicken divers one had been more fleshed out.