Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hungry posted:

it clearly lacked a central editor
hello, welcome to the Visual Novel Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Somebody I know was talking about how good Raging Loop was so I bought it. I didn't realize it was literally the werewolf forum game turned into a VN. It actually wasn't that bad until it got to the ending though. It turns into an incoherent, contradictory mess at that point, and expects you to play a bunch of extra chapters to explain the story.
You also get a sortof newgame+ mode that reveals everything you didn't get to see the first time around, have fun!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought everyone in Yomi was still eating at the dining hall except for Haruaki?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hope this is the first of many reactions to the ending of Darkness

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Namtab posted:

All in all I know this series plays around with narration and red words and whatnot, but I hope it'll tell me what the rules over the whole mystery are
There are rules but a lot of the challenge is working out what they are.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. You basically want to fastforward through the whole game, it will stop for the new content. Make sure to keep a lookout for the secret endings.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Since people are talking about Raging Loop and I can't be bothered to play all the extra scenarios myself. Does the game ever explain what Meiko's deal is. I love how at the end of the game Fusaishi thinks a very young girl disappearing is ok, and somehow things will turn out alright for her.
I strongly suggest playing the Sheep chapter, it explains a bunch of stuff. The other chapters are more epilogues for various characters.

Meiko also apparently appears in the author's other game, "Death Match Love Comedy", but that's not in English and I have no idea what it is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like what FHA does with the servants, you never get to chill with most of them in the original for obvious reasons so chatting with them is fun. It also explains how their legends are related to their masters and the events of the game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The When They Crys are good. House at Fata Morgana would be the next obvious suggestion once you've finished.

They are strictly linear though, and personally I think that's the better way to write VNs for the most part. It means you can avoid repetition and have a stronger meta narrative between routes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the villain reveal a lot more after reading through all their thoughts on NG+. Although I'd suggest doing the Sheep extra first since that has some explanations that aren't in the main game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

What exactly did she do to everyone in the village that had Haruaki freaking out? She didn't actually sleep with them all, right? But if it was just some ritual, then it wouldn't make sense to freak out about it.
I mean, she did? She described how and when she did.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd recommend doing at least the sheep epilogue.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Erika presented a large number of pieces of circumstantial evidence, presumably because she had already arrived at a conclusion (that her boyfriend didn't love her anymore) and was looking for evidence to support it. This distrust ruined her relationship, therefore guaranteeing that she was correct. Such is the power of the Witch of Truth.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

batteries! posted:

Just finished Raging Loop and I sort of liked the ending. It feels like it ran on dream logic. Yeah they just pipe in dogs into the village, don't think about it too much. Haruaki deals with the feast by knowing exactly where the first sacrifice victims are, even though I don't remember seeing it mentioned. Then he settles Rikako with a True Name technicality that seems to serve no other purpose and has everyone reeling. And then finally he just walks up to the people who have been organizing these mass murders for years, beats them up and tells them "actually, here's a better story, did you like it? okay, leave" and they shrug and do it. It's like he had a plan in his head, and by sheer will the world just conformed to it.
Good interpretation - one of the afterstories backs it up somewhat. I think the True Name thing just relates to Haruaki being a scumbag who deceives women though, I assume he always gives a fake name to make it harder for them to track him down after he ditches them.

batteries! posted:

There's one thing that skeeved me out about Rikako. I was a little leery on the "Bedroom Womanservant" thing but it was never too detailed up to the ending so I assumed it was just background. And then it's just revealed that she had sex everyone in the village. It feels so incredibly unnecessary when there were so many other ways to explain away her goals and objectives. Am I misinterpreting things? Is this contextualized in the extra content? I saw several recommendations for the game around the forums but that single story tidbit left a bad taste in my mouth.
The Uematsus going from being a revered group of sacred prostitutes to a shunned caste as society changed is an important part of Rikako's motivation and the mythological throughline (it's a take on the "whore spider" youkai). Having sex with everyone as part of her plan plays into that mythology but yeah, it might be too much for a villain who's still mostly presented as sympathetic.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We all respect the sanctity of the Blind Umineko Playthrough

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fata Morgana does a bunch of interesting things with the format and is also very good in general.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Just read the alternative-side stories from Muv Luv Photonflowers and they were decce but I wish the marimo and chicken divers one had been more fleshed out.
Yeah. I liked the one that was just Full Metal Jacket. I also liked the Sumika Afterstory on the Extra side, and thought it was an interesting contrast to the Marimo story where she talks about how she wants to create a world where people can receive a proper education rather than just military training.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gnosia is an upcoming game very much in that vein.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Incredible BGM for that scene for sure.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I read the episodes as they came out and saw it floated a lot as a theory before chapter 6 so it shouldn't detract too much from the experience.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Looking forward to it. MLA is great but I was always curious about what would happen after MLU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RIP ciconia, suspended for being too prescient.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Killing characters off is the whole point of Dangan Ronpa, but you can do it in better ways where it contributes to the story. Maybe the character achieved something before they died, or they died for a personal reason that related to their character, or their absence after their death is keenly felt and leads to development for other characters. I do think Case 3 of DR2 is particularly bad and fails to meet any of these criteria - it mostly just takes out 3 pretty random characters for a completely arbitrary reason.

I think this is something V3 does far better than either of the other games.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Very cool game. Going down an endless rabbit hole of trying to identify NPC-specific quirks and tells.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Say You're Human skill is very powerful but yeah, other than that I think Intuition is fairly ignorable. Once you get a feel for how the game works you can usually work out who the gnosia are in time without the Lie indicator, so it's more a matter of making sure the right person gets voted off (Charisma, Logic) and that you don't get killed yourself (Stealth as Crew, Performance as Gnosia). Charm you also need some amount of to not get randomly dogpiled on quiet days, and it also lets you be more aggressive without getting yourself voted off.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'll try and write up a detailed response tomorrow. As a starter I'll ask you to reconsider what Erika represents, as that seems like the most obvious issue with your reading. In episode 5, is she interested in whether or not Natsuhi actually committed the crime? When she followed her boyfriend around for weeks collecting random circumstantial evidence, did she ever consider that her boyfriend may not have been cheating on her? When Ange is confronted with evidence that her parents were responsible to the massacre what was her reaction?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Erika's behavior is inconsistent with a pure drive to discover the truth, yes. But she isn't fully aware of this and, moreover, she's Bernkastel's piece. The former is important because the reasoning is basically "Erika is deeply insecure and craves validation of her intelligence/usefulness" -> "Erika became obsessed with ferreting out the truth" -> "faced with a situation where she can either prove her worth or pursue the pure truth, it doesn't take much of a push for Erika to do the former." She doesn't, by herself, stand for the proposition that seeking the truth is always wrong or dangerous, but she does stand for the proposition that your motives matter re: whether you should seek the truth or not.

She may not have considered that her boyfriend or Natsuhi were actually innocent, but (unlike Bernkastel, who is fully self-aware and consciously choosing to repay humiliation in kind) I don't think for a moment that she realizes she's settling for falsehoods. Even her "intellectual rapist" speech, as self-condemning as it is, still frames it as a thrill at outing the truth. Her final conversation with Ange in the library is getting pretty close, but she's had a lot of time to reflect by then.

Ange's reaction to evidence that her parents were responsible for the massacre is denial and then despair. Of the two despair is presented as the greatest danger.

To my mind, though, all of this is pretty peripheral. Much more important is the part where Ange predicts that, because Maria can lie to herself about her life with her mother being a happy one, she probably won't grow up to perpetuate Rosa's child abuse. This seems completely backwards to me; it's essential that you understand that what was done to you was wrong, if you want to avoid doing it to others.

And above all there's the incredibly long sequence in chapter 8 where a whitewashed, obviously fraudulent version of the Ushiromiyas is paraded in front of Ange. Ange's dissatisfaction with this obvious lie is presented as a moral failing. The "trick or magic" prompt is a simple question with an obvious correct answer: it's a trick. It's not a question of not investigating sufficiently as with Natsuhi. It's either swallow the lie whole or deny it, no other options. The actual "trick" ending has Ange acting with a willful disregard for the truth, yes, but she got there by choosing the true answer, and the scene has to be interpreted with that context in mind.

In other words, "the truth is unbearable, and you won't be able to sustain an uncompromising drive towards it without either drifting off the path and/or self-destructing anyways, so it's better to just lie to yourself from the start."

What exactly is "the truth" as you understand it?

It is impossible for Ange to actually know what happened Rokkenjima. There is no evidence that could possibly exist which would definitively prove what happened and who was responsible. It's certainly possible that what Eva wrote in her diary is true, but she could equally be lying or deluded. In fact, we know from the gameboards that Eva could've done it given the right scenario, just as it's possible that Ange's parents could've. Pieces cannot move against their natures.

When Ange embarks to find "the truth" in Trick, what is she actually doing? She's trying to prove her parents innocent, in much the same way that Erika embarked on a (successful, I suppose) campaign to "prove" her boyfriend cheated on her. Her truth is that Eva was responsible. She wants to convince the world of that. Perhaps there's some kind of circumstantial evidence she can find that will make that the prevailing narrative in wider society. Or perhaps she can convince people she's right by killing herself. Public consensus is the only "truth" that could ever exist when it comes to the Rokkenjima Incident.

Accepting the truth is all very well and good, but what if it's unknowable and you will never receive true closure?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you're right that you can justify it with the Sheep story. Haruaki has "detective" powers. His thoughts can warp the world. Because he accepted that yomibito and werewolves were real in the first route Chiemi's beliefs became real.

That scene is very similar to one in Umineko now I think about it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the original system of requiring the Meiya and Sumika routes made sense, I'd at least do those. The others are optional.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

There are some very specific aspects of Alternative that I would not have minded exploring in other games or side stories, but as far as I knew pretty much none of the extra stuff that is out there covers it so I felt more than comfortable not bothering. The only thing that I would've been on board for is Altered Fable but AFAIK that never got finished (latest update that I see is from 2014 with a few routes done).
Altered Fable is included in Muv Luv Photon Melodies.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Muv Luv was originally intended to be one game yeah.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Altered Fable is one of the stories in Photonmelodies, it's on Steam.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Requiem mostly covers stuff that was already summarized in the main game, but it's still a decent story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Read the rest of the game

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, although I think it's also mostly a joke.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The summaries you get in Chaos;Child did put me off Head a bit.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah my reaction to the true ending was definitely more "huh?" than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the ep7 tea party is mostly what Eva wrote in her diary which Ange saw (the clips you see from it all seem like part of that narrative). Which isn't definitive proof of anything (Ange would have much rather it was a lie Eva constructed to cover up her own crime) but I do think given Eva's behaviour and how she's framed by the story it's likely to be substantively true. I also personally read episode 4 as Battler's confused half remembered take on what happened given it has a lot of obvious similarities to ep7 tea party.

That said some aspects like Kyrie's true motives are still left up to interpretation even if you assume Eva was telling the truth in her diary.

The manga does go into way more detail on "Beatrice"'s motivations and life story but I dont think it gives a definitive answer as to what ended up happening on that day (unless I just haven't read that part).