Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i predicted one thing about higurashi and as of episode 5 have predicted no things about umineko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Namtab posted:

Stop saying uu uu, Maria

No.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a part of it is that iirc they have literally one programmer working on it and for the past few months he was also the single programmer working on baldr sky

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Just lol if you don't read Umineko in a fugue state over two and a half weeks

i did that with higurashi just a few months before so i ran out of fugue state energy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished episode 6 of umineko and the ep6 tea party scenes

the ride never ends

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
on ep 7 of umineko and i've really enjoyed it overall but uh

man

i'm really starting to get why this is viewed as one of the best vns ever, drat

i think between this and higu ryukishi is one of my favorite writers ever lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished umineko

i think i liked it about as much as higurashi in a very different way

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm halfway through the 25th ward: the silver case. the kill the past games sure are a hell of a mood

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
reading higurashi and umineko still did not prepare me for ciconia

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think literally anything can prime you for what umineko is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lucia's was written by ryukishi so that's probly why it sticks out lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
higanbana's an interesting vn, glad i've read like 2 1/8 07th expansion vns already so i came into it knowing that i should take it as its own thing rather than expecting it to be like everything else ryukishi's written. constantly swings from being insanely loving rough to having pretty neat character bits

i've also been finishing up kagetsu tohya, the 10 nights of dream are cool but i will say i just don't feel like a lot of the comedy in it can stack up to shiki walking into kohaku's room, seeing her playing a fighting game and saying "Kohaku... is a gamer." and then immediately getting bodied

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that fha scene is one of the best scenes i've ever seen in a vn

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
higanbana's weird, the first game is like half stories i liked and half stories i didn't or at least thought had lots of weird aspects, so far the second night has had a really good start tho. lunar festival and 13 steps are two of the strongest stories in this whole thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
im readimng fata morgana

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

You post about it in the discord well after I go to bed so I'm not able to comment on it in real time but I hope you like it!!

i've been enjoying it, the first door was kinda eh but the second door was pretty interesting and the third door was cool. i'm i think midway through the fifth door right now and the stuff with giselle and michel has definitely kicked into a really interesting gear

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wow michel's door

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm on the final door. i like that the first two 2/3rds of the story are largely kind of dour and freaky, and then a lot of the last 1/3 is michel having incredibly goofy back and forths with everyone else while going on an adventure through time and space to bring morgana peace. it's probably my favorite part just for how big and weird a shift it is in the writing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm playing ai and it's weird playing a new uchikoshi game after not playing one for eight years cause i skipped out on ztd after i played vlr

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've begun experiencing marco & the galaxy dragon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm reading flowers 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
an english translation of the psp port of the classic ps1 adventure game with animation from production ig, double cast, just came out

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5777/

i haven't jumped into it quite yet but the translator who handled it does pretty good work from what i've seen and this is a pretty wild game to see translated into english after all these years

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did not know the trial sequences in danganronpa would be so long holy moly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you want to use updated sprites you're gonna want to mod in those ps3 ones cause among many other things the pachinko sprites don't even consistently cover every character, and they don't have some of the extra touches the ps3 ones add that make those worth using for a revisit even if you like the original sprites

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the anime fucks up meakashi so badly lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the tokyo stuff is kind of a short sidenote and the real major backstory they give is a lot more compelling and does a lot to tie together higurashi's themes heading into the end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
uhhh some of them are side stories that are pretty okay iirc and some of them are alternate takes on existing chapters that like... well do you really want to go back and just read More Stories About Bad Things Happening

really if you're gonna go into any extended higurashi stuff at this point you should do higurashi rei first, if you can uh, find a way to get the original vn. the ova adaptation for it is okay too but there are some bits in killing dice that are weird in it to me and i dunno how much is the adaptation or not cause the anime adaptations for higurashi are a bit weird overall

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished danganronpa 1. it was alright but i didn't come out feeling super strongly about it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the original ending pushing keiichi into the background doesn't really read as a problem to me given that the point is he's officially just a regular part of the group and not like, a main character or an outsider

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
welcome to rokkenjima

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
needed a more relaxed game to chill with in between playing 13 sentinels so i started flowers 3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if it's any consolation you're really close to the point where the story basically spells it out for you anyway

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
flowers 3 actually like. super rules. i was worried that flowers 2 only worked as well as it did because erika is a great character, but flowers 3 has me convinced that flowers 1 being kinda slow and boring was just cause they weren't quite sure what they were going into yet, cause this third game might be heating up to be my favorite. the back and forth between the characters is super on point and basically everything around yatsushiro is super interesting and does a great job expanding on her character from flowers 1 and 2, and every scene she has with erika specifically is absolute gold

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
somehow every chapter deeper i get into flowers 3 it gets more incredible. legitimately this could end up being one of my favorite lesbian stories, let alone just vns, ever, the dialog and character writing is absolute loving gold

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished flowers 3. it's one of the funniest yuri vns i've ever read and has lots of really strong writing and drama in general, flowers started kinda slow but it really feels like the writer found their footing by the second game and by the third one has just turned it into one of the coolest yuri vns series ever. highly recommend

i'm sad flowers 4 probably is still a ways off from being translated but the writer's other work got tled recently so i'm definitely gonna give those a look later, i haven't heard much about their route of yumeutsutsu but i know someone who seemed to enjoy curse of kudan

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Thuryl posted:

i am also someone who seemed to enjoy curse of kudan

depending on how you like your mystery stories, you may or may not find it completely satisfying on that level: you're expected to pay enough attention to understand the broad strokes of the solution to each case, but the details involve the characters coming up with information that the player doesn't have access to until it's revealed at the end of the chapter. the characters and yuri are good though, and they actually bothered to subtitle the bonus voice actor comment sections that you unlock after each ending, which is something i don't see nearly as often as i'd like to

that sounds like basically the same weaknesses and strengths as flowers, just with a bit more note keeping required. flowers does the same thing with every other chapter ending with a mystery solving scene, but usually requiring you to make random leaps based on extremely small hints with the actual conclusions being things only the characters themselves could really reach sometimes, and usually it just comes down to trial and error if you've forgotten anything and you don't want to just use a guide. looking forward to the character writing though, flowers 3 fully brought me into loving them with how like, frankly it talks about yuzuriha's homosexuality. a lot of its best gags unironically are literally her just saying "man. this reminds me of how much i am gay and love women."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished dead end junction

did this 2014 visual novel just end on a loving cliffhanger with no sequel

anyway i really uh, can't recommend this game, in general. it's super flashy visually and it's got some good music but holy gently caress the writing is dry and feels totally unwilling to commit more than a couple seconds to any potentially emotional or impactful scene. it's a really weak script for how well presented everything else is

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 11, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i reading 428

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished 428 a couple days ago, it was fun. i enjoyed the type-moon canaan bonus scenario too, it was a different bent but i usually get something fun out of nasu's writing and in this case it was fun enough that i'll probly watch the canaan anime later even knowing it's not really much like 428

today i finished oshirabu, it was a cute vn. not like, outstanding, but its characters are fun and the art's good, and there are a few legitimately cool bits in its script. lol that the steam release cuts out the epilogue because of its r18 content though, it's insanely vanilla lesbian sex between two adults and it provides more satisfying resolution to akuru's feelings about ren than the base story provides.

now i'm starting danganronpa 2, can't wait to become best friends with this komaeda guy