Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Wait, there is another thread in ADTRW again? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

I worry by the time Ciconia chapter 2 comes out i will have forgotten most of my theories

I worry by the time Ciconia chapter 2 comes out that I still won't have finished Umineko :smith:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Higurashi is getting an actually good anime now! There is now a trailer

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

i mean nekopara and clannad are right there

Having the two in the same sentence hurts my soul

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

tfw when you snipe a 2 and a half month old post...

At any rate, they bungled it enough to have to make an extra plot arc just to make everything fit together. And I'm not a fan of the old character art style.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm assuming it should only be watched by people that have finished it, right?

Also, ugh another reminder that I still need to finish Umineko. Time, where art thou?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

OK I watched it and without love it can't be steamed killed me.

One thing is that subsume who watches should be at least through chapter 3 to get everything. Also, I'm pretty sure there are music spoilers for 7 and/or 8 as I don't recognize the intense track

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ah yeah, you're right; forgot red text isn't introduced until then.

Also you're correct about that music. I kinda wonder if they meant to use Golden Slaughterer instead, because the tracks are similar.

Red text is introduce in chapter 2, but the end definitely draws influence from the end of chapter 3, particularly with Chalmer's reaction.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

There is a new trailer for the upcoming Higurashi anime. It appears that the Onikakushi and Watanagashi will have 13 chapters based on its scheduling, which would be a big improvement over the original anime's 8.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ooh, Umineko speculation! Keep it up! It wasn't too long ago that I was in my Umineko liveblogging days. In chapter 3 (not a spoiler to you) I was absolutely stumped at the end of chapter 3. EVA-BEATRICE's red web did a good one on me.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah it is nice (Higurashi Chapter 2) to see the gang back together and hanging out again.

I definitely want to hear Higurashi thoughts during/after chapter 3.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

What are the weirdest, most imaginative and creative visual novels you’ve ever seen?

I’m brainstorming ideas for a game mod I’m making, and part of it involves making a handful of small but creative and engaging VNs, or at least VN-like experiences you can accomplish with Renpy.

That got me thinking about what kind of cool poo poo you can pull off in a VN that isn’t just about clicking through text boxes and dialogue. Unfortunately, the extent of my VN experience amounts to Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, which aren’t all that creative or weird. And they’re certainly not transformative, game-like, or boundary-pushers.

But I know there’s good, cool, weird poo poo out there, even if it isn’t necessarily popular! I just need to find it. Any recommendations on that front?

For more traditional VNs:
  • Umineko maybe? It is definitely very unique, one can't really deny that.
  • Fata Morgana was already mentioned, and it is pretty unique I think.
  • I think IO is weird and convoluted, but that is in a bad way.
There are some things that are often considered VNs that are more than just clicking text boxes and dialogue, but you would have to consider the success and how unique these these are on your own merits.
  • The Zero Escape series works through "escape the room" type puzzles, which are a fun break from the VN segments.
  • I remember WILL: A Wonderful World is a Chinese VN that had a unique rewriting the past mechanic thing, though I never finished it (I had a weird teacher student relationship you see often in eastern media)
  • The Ace Attorney/Danganronpa games are sometimes considered VNs, though the classification is controversial. Obviously the gamepay is investigation followed by courtroom for the both of them.
  • There are several fighting game/VN fighter hybrid like Melty Blood and BlazBlu
  • Baldr Sky has action game gameplay segments.
  • The Utawarerumono series is the most well known strategy hybrid, but there are a bunch more
Honestly, looking at the vndb hybrid page is a helpful snapshot of that, though they are biased against western visual novels IMO (they removed LLTQ, for example).

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

It comes with the Pachinko Sprites, lets you change to original, and via modding you can get the PS3 sprites.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

psychoJ posted:

lateish chapter 7 of higurashi: kind of weird to me that nobody doesn't come up with the idea of just getting a huge mob of people in front of satoko's house to scare the poo poo out of teppei. like at this point, when child services just flat out refuses to do anything, it definitely seems like it'd be a smarter use of time and energy. but hey, the sonozaki yakuza just showed up to save the day so that's cool i guess

I think a big thing with Higurashi is about doing things the "right" (but proactive) way. Working around the system can lead to unforseen consequences. In just this example, what if he hurts Satako in retaliation, or uses her as a hostage? What if he fights back and kills someone?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i finished danganronpa 1. it was alright but i didn't come out feeling super strongly about it

Yeah, the later Danganronpas are better IMO

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The golden rule of Umineko is never ever ever google anything about it or use any website involving it until you are done. Even music can have spoilers in the images of the related videos.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

psychoJ posted:

is anybody looking forward to Gnosia. i'm looking forward to Gnosia

Very excited. Will probably not be getting enough sleep in the next week...

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah, I also don't like How if you search for events, it will give you really unfun loadouts, like an 11 person game with 4 Gnosia, with you being one.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

LMAO. What is that from? (also, use timg lol)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I've been meh on it, but I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to tells. The only thing I have noticed so far is (spoiler of a tell) that Gina will always strongly hint that she is gnosia if you visit her before sleep. There are certainly personality traits of picked up on, but not any real tells.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Gnosia question that just came to mind and wasn't that clear from the in-game FAQ - do the "Agree/Defend/etc" follow-up dialogue options contribute to the hidden "players will get suspicious if you talk too much" metric? The FAQ mentions that they are safer and have lower impact, but it's not clear how much safer. Subjectively they don't seem to do much and other players usually only get on my case if I've directly spoken up 2+ times during a round.

Seems to me that so long as you don't speak up directly more than once, they probably won't get on your case about it. Also seems to be on a scale on their character opinions. No one will say anything if you are confirmed, and your allies won't care. So if you speak up like twice, maybe one or two people that hate you will note it, but it shouldn't be too bad with good charm

Also, its interesting to see how you value intuition, since that is my build's dump stat! My character relies on high stealth and charm to stay alive, then persuasion and logic to get people to be persuaded. I don't get any instant confirms (well, I did exactly once somehow with my 1 intuition LOL), but its something I can deal without. Besides, its not super useful as gnosia, especially since sometimes the event search will give you games without an AC or bug.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 8, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I haven't really figured out how to detect gnosia (or other bad actors) without either detecting a lie (or having another character detect a lie and tell me) or having engineer/doctor reports.

I often figure things outside of logical stuff from (strategy spoilers I guess):
  • Noticing what cliques form, as gnosia tend to form cliques together (though there will be some noise in there of course)
  • Noticing if the super intuitive characters (ie: Comet and Chipie) seem to be onto something or not
  • Checking what the smarter characters in general are pushing. If Raqio, Setsu, Yuriko, and Otome are pushing the same person, chances are pretty high that they are right.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And above all there's the incredibly long sequence in chapter 8 where a whitewashed, obviously fraudulent version of the Ushiromiyas is paraded in front of Ange. Ange's dissatisfaction with this obvious lie is presented as a moral failing. The "trick or magic" prompt is a simple question with an obvious correct answer: it's a trick. It's not a question of not investigating sufficiently as with Natsuhi. It's either swallow the lie whole or deny it, no other options. The actual "trick" ending has Ange acting with a willful disregard for the truth, yes, but she got there by choosing the true answer, and the scene has to be interpreted with that context in mind.

In other words, "the truth is unbearable, and you won't be able to sustain an uncompromising drive towards it without either drifting off the path and/or self-destructing anyways, so it's better to just lie to yourself from the start."

First of all, I don't reay get what you mean by the fact that Angie acts with a disregard of the truth in the Trick ending. Amakusa was pretty much clearly stated to be doing exactly as Angie described in the ending, and the captain was a real possibility, and given a priority of survival, she acts in her self interest.

But also, the point I think that is made to be the moral failing is how it dominates her life. It isn't that she needs to accept some whitewashed image of her family, it is that she both holds a strongly negative view of them and the events of Rokkenjima while simultaneously making that the center of her life.

The whitewashed image is just a counter to it. Yes there were certainly many many problems with them, but there were also bright spots, forgotten in the years of agonizing.

The moral of the story I would say is to ask "why do you seek the truth" and honestly take a real clear look at how it is effecting your mental health and the rest of your life, which is something we often fail to consider when evaluating what we should do.

The Trick Ending is meant to be a reflection of the other answer. Angie doesn't want to forgive and ignore the (murderous) failing of those around her, and she shouldn't be required to. Instead, she (literally) charts her own way forward, with the facts that she has.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 19, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: Also, to be honest, I just categorically reject the notion that lying to yourself is a valid coping mechanism -- we're over here splitting hairs over how critical or hostile Umineko is to stubbornly persistent truth-seeking, and it's an interesting question, but it's not strictly relevant as long as the VN is saying it's sometimes okay to lie to yourself and I'm like "lol absolutely not, not ever."

I still feel like there is a disconnect here. Angie's story isn't about lying to yourself, it's about not digging deeper. It's letting sleeping dogs lie. She doesn't need to answer "magic" because she believes it is magic. She can answer that to let it end unanswered.

You could argue Maria's story does, but even then, it largely exists to be something to reflect the ultimate idea with Angie. Does she make herself miserable with an external it to get life or let it go.

And despite how media often frames it, avoidance through jogging, meditation, and other activities can be positive, as opposed to something like drug abuse or binge eating. And in the context of the magic ending, Angie largely focuses on pursuing a passion, which is a perfectly healthy form of avoidance.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 19, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Let us know what you think of Root Film. All I know is that people generally didn't like Root Letter and that the current 2 ratings for Root Film give it a 7/10 while the average for Root Letter is 5.8/10 (which is particularly low for vndb).

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Weird BIAS posted:

It’s nice going through a vn and getting obsessed with a song in it and learning it on piano. Just got through the House in Fata Morgana proper and still have the requiem and reincarnation parts to go.

Cicio will just be stuck in my head for a long time.

Even years later cicio gets stuck in my head still.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Keep up the thoughts and speculation. I enjoy hearing it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ooh boy you are about to get to chapters 6 - 8 which is my favorite part of the story. :)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

As a random note, I always find shortened anime/VN names hilarious. 素敵な (sutekina) is literally just something like "lovely."

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Man there's this big VN hole on my PC now that I'm done with DR V3... If only there was another VN about mysteries that I recently got on a Steam sale that could fill it...

Yeah too bad there is nothing that fits the bill. I think Steam hasn't had any good new mysteries in over 2 months. And its too bad there aren't any yuri mysteries out there. Or Korean ones.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

No idea if it helps given the context, but the first option has a character meaning kill, the second one "pity," and the last one love

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah for a moment I was like "what happened to NarKarma?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

With pretty much all things falling under the umbrella of "nerd media," you should look at the *bad* reviews, not the good ones. Knowing what people dislike about a title will usually give the most useful information.

That isn't just a nerd media thing, that is true for pretty much all things.