Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Ever want to be in command of (small) fleet of Star Destroyers, and crush the Rebellion? Dream of outflying an Imperial Blockade in the Tantive IV? Want to tell multiple squadrons of Alphabet Fighters "All Fighters Follow Me!" as you charge them into a Super Star Destroyer.

Maybe you just want to use that Super Star Destoyer to evaporate multiple ships in a single salvo of shooting.

"Fantasy Flight Games posted:

Rebel and Imperial fleets fight for the fate of the galaxy in Star Wars™: Armada, the two-player miniatures game of epic Star Wars space battles!

Massive Star Destroyers fly to battle against Rebel corvettes and frigates. Banks of turbolasers unleash torrential volleys of fire against squadrons of X-wings and TIEs. Engineering teams race to route additional power to failing shields. Laser blasts and explosions flare across the battlefield. Even a single ship can change the tide of battle.

In Star Wars: Armada, you assume the role of fleet admiral, serving with either the Imperial Navy or Rebel Alliance. It’s your job to issue the tactical commands that will decide the course of battle and, perhaps, the fate of the galaxy.

Grab some pretty well painted plastic starships that you can actually feel pretty good about using as display pieces, and plop them down on a table to shoot other starships using customized dice. It's actually really fun, and I know I spend way too much time doing it.

If you want to get started and see what it's like, check out these links:

http://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/p/welcomewhere-to-start.html
http://www.steelstrategy.com/p/welcome-to-armada-new-players-resource.html

or if you'd rather watch videos:

youtube.com/user/STIM007

While the ships come prepainted, the squadrons come without any paint on them so it's a good introduction to the hobby of painting your own miniatures. If that's not your thing though, the capital ships don't require anything, and you don't have to worry if you want to put unpainted squadrons on the table. No one cares. This isn't Warhammer.

New ships are coming out on Friday, including two ships which basically never existed outside being mentioned in the new (not very good) books and a visual dictionary or something. Also if you're not into Rebellion vs Empire, the Clone Wars was recently announced to be coming to the game, though no reports of exactly what that will look like are out quite yet.

So come on and play the game! Head down to your local game store and see what they've got in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Is this space warhammer?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

Is this space warhammer?

No, Star Wars Legion is space Warhammer.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

then whats warhammer armada

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I just bought the Armada starter box and played my first games today. There's a few rules we kind winged, but overall it's fun as hell, and a nice change in pace from the frantic mess of the X-Wing miniatures game.

Admittedly I lost both times in different ways. The 6 turn limit really makes you weigh up your decisions. Personally I found we spent a lot of time circling before we finally clashed, but I'm sure that's us getting used to the different factions.

What's the meta, and what are the play styles so I can choose which side to play?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm gonna play this and make mouth noises like, alot

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cuntman.net posted:

then whats warhammer armada

Battlefleet Gothic i guess

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

reignofevil posted:

I'm gonna play this and make mouth noises like, alot

You should and add lights!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Val Helmethead posted:

No, Star Wars Legion is space Warhammer.

is legion good? ive played it a bit on tts and its seems fun but also kinda swingy and the rebels look like their heroes are the only real good parts of their lists. probably just me playing against myself because im a sad rear end in a top hat though

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

is legion good? ive played it a bit on tts and its seems fun but also kinda swingy and the rebels look like their heroes are the only real good parts of their lists. probably just me playing against myself because im a sad rear end in a top hat though

Legion is a lot of fun for casual playing and painting pretty miniatures. I think Armada is a really good tournament game, but there are some fun "have a good time" rules if you want to slap a ton of ships onto the table.

crowtribe posted:

What's the meta, and what are the play styles so I can choose which side to play?

The cool thing about this game is that the meta crazy enough that you can basically play anything and if you've learned how it works long enough you can do well. That being said, there are a few things that emerge as "really good". Most of the Meta is best described as "Commander" + "Key Ships" and sometimes "Key Upgrades"

Imperials:
Grand Admiral Thrawn & Imperial Squadrons involves taking a bunch of Imperial Ace Squadrons along with an ISD and a Quasar to push them, then uses Grand Admiral Thrawn's command dials to ensure that you can always push squadrons and (probably) navigate with your regular dials.

Admiral Sloane & Imperial Squadrons does pretty much the same thing, but with an ISD Avenger and Quasar, and a lot more Blue Dice non-Bomber squadrons.

Super Star Destroyers are big with Moff Jerjerrod or Admiral Piett as the commanders to give them some actual mobility.

With the Onager coming out on Friday, you're looking at General Romodi and an Onager and some other stuff being really, really strong.

Rebels:
Admiral Ackbar, a Large Ship (or 2 Assault Frigates) and some smaller ships for support has always been and continues to be a quality pick. You can even do two larges if you want to be nasty.

Admiral Raddus was recently changed quite a bit from his printed ability but still looks good for dropping something really big and angry onto an area and outflanking your opponent without really trying.

Rieekan, Yavaris, 2 combat ships, and 2 flotilla and 134 points of squadrons has been powerful for a long time now.

And a really strange Garm Bel Iblis, 4 combat ships, and a "robust but not maximized" squadron compliment has won the North American Championship, and made it to Day 2 in 2019 Worlds.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How much do those foot+ long minis cost?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

How much do those foot+ long minis cost?

Pricepoint for the game is pretty good for prepainted minis. Most of the "small" ships are $20 each, with the bigger "smalls" at $30. "Mediums" are $30-$40. "Larges" are $40-60.

The Super Star Star Destroyer is 200 glorious dollars of prepainted plastic, and is definately more than a foot long.

Ninja Edit: Buy from a local game store, but if you can't Amazon has frequent sales.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Last year for my birthday some of my friends pooled together and bought me the Armada starter set. For years I'd been the guy who would play with their collections and they finally got me roped into collecting my own wargame miniatures.

I love Armada, I've always been a big space opera nut and ~*commanding the fleet*~ is inherently fun for me, but Armada does it so much better than other space fleet tabletop games we've tried. The maneuver tool is great in how it simplifies plotting maneuvers - much preferable to tape measures in my opinion. The way you queue up orders for bigger ships is also fun too - if you plan it right then it can give you the edge, but (for the most part) it's not like having the wrong command queued up will make the ship totally useless.

crowtribe posted:

I just bought the Armada starter box and played my first games today. There's a few rules we kind winged, but overall it's fun as hell, and a nice change in pace from the frantic mess of the X-Wing miniatures game.

Admittedly I lost both times in different ways. The 6 turn limit really makes you weigh up your decisions. Personally I found we spent a lot of time circling before we finally clashed, but I'm sure that's us getting used to the different factions.

Something to be aware of is that the starter box gives a very limited impression of the ships. The Vicstar is a slow tub, but an Impstar is actually faster, and the Empire does have smaller, faster ships. The Nebulon-B and the Corvette are small ships that tend to favor firing out the front, but the Rebels also have bigger ships that prefer firing broadsides, like the Assault Frigate (ugh, what an ugly ship) and the Home One.

I'd suggest poking through one of the fleet builders; here's my favorite:

http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/

That'll let you compare and contrast the various ship cards so you can see what kind of shields, firepower, and other stats they're packing.

Also yeah check out the links in the OP.

Val Helmethead posted:

Maybe you just want to use that Super Star Destoyer to evaporate multiple ships in a single salvo of shooting.

Jesus lol I never thought to see a SSD vs SSD duel. But then I just play casual games with friends so it's always Rebels vs Empire with us.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 28, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Another thing that's important for the budding "do I collect Rebels or Empire?" player is that the Rebel starfighters tend to be a bit more generalist - B-Wings for example, while excellent bombers, can also do alright in dogfighting - whereas the Imperial fighters are much more specialized.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 28, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also if the ships from the prequel trilogy are more your jam, FFG does have plans to introduce Clone Wars ships.

Sorry for the multiposting but I'm excited about this thread. :3:

If anyone's interested, I did a fictionalized write-up of a game I played a few months ago over there.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Armada owns. I play X-Wing and if it wasn't for my BIL who also plays, I'd be rid of my X-wing collection to have more Armada space.

X-wing is too much frenetic 4D chess that you play against yourself and your opponent, where one single fuckup means you're really screwed. Plus it's so fixated on The Meta that my locals just tend to be unbeatable, swiftly revealing how much I truly suck at X-wing. Which is sad because it has the Assault Gunboat with a mod to make it into a Missile Boat. ;_;

Armada is a lot of planning on what YOU want to do, and yes you can get into Death Note mode playing against your opponent but it's a little more forgiving and just plain enjoyable. You get to make like you're doing damage control, yelling at your targeting people to fire harder, and maneuvering - usually not as fast but you CAN do fast ships - and then do some fun-rear end dice rolling and blow poo poo up. It is very satisfying to blow poo poo up in Armada because you gotta get stuff right, and it's fun to theorycraft ships and stuff.

It's just great. Unless you want to buy an Arquitens-class cruiser or a "Quasar Fire" class carrier, which we all know is the goddamn Flurry but they won't say it

Armada scalping is loving real, buy someone's used collection to save yourself time and stress and hit the ground running

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i only play star trek armada

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I've bought a few of the models, not to play the game, they're just nice models.

I also got one 3d-printed

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

How good of a value is the core set? Is it enough to field a complete list or would I need more models?

I'm thinking about getting the core set and some y wings and tie bombers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Thats just XWing but really bad

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also if the ships from the prequel trilogy are more your jam, FFG does have plans to introduce Clone Wars ships.

Sorry for the multiposting but I'm excited about this thread. :3:

If anyone's interested, I did a fictionalized write-up of a game I played a few months ago over there.

That's actually pretty neat. You should seriously consider doing something similar for the Let's Play sub. People think it's a sub just for video games, but we've had people LP board games, CYOA adventure books, and text-based games too, so it's a wide open field. Hell, someone LP'd Rock, Paper, Scissors and turned it into a hivemind social experiment. I think it would be pretty interesting to see a session of Armada or X-Wing presented in LP format to show off what the game's about to a potentially broader audience.

Personally, I just think the models look rad as hell :allears:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also, Armada gives you the space to light up the models!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PinheadSlim posted:

How good of a value is the core set? Is it enough to field a complete list or would I need more models?

If you want Y-Wings and TIE Bombers you will absolutely need to get the respective Rebel and Imperial fighter expansions, since the core set only has X-Wings and TIE-fighters.

I'd say for the amount of models you get it's a good value, but it's not really enough to field a "complete list". You get a Victory-class Star Destroyer and a few TIE fighter squadrons for the Empire, and a Nebulon-B Frigate, CR90 Corellian Corvette and a few X-Wing squadrons for the Rebels. If you just have the core set then you're basically fielding everything and not really doing a lot of choosing for the list beyond which commander you're taking and which upgrades to assign to ships.

Do you have a buddy who wants to get into Armada with you? One of my friends decided to get into Armada with me and he wound up getting a core set of his own, then he swapped me his Neb-B and CR90 for my Vicstar. Now I've got a Rebel fleet and he's got a mighty force of angry space triangles.

nine-gear crow posted:

That's actually pretty neat. You should seriously consider doing something similar for the Let's Play sub. People think it's a sub just for video games, but we've had people LP board games, CYOA adventure books, and text-based games too, so it's a wide open field. Hell, someone LP'd Rock, Paper, Scissors and turned it into a hivemind social experiment. I think it would be pretty interesting to see a session of Armada or X-Wing presented in LP format to show off what the game's about to a potentially broader audience.

Personally, I just think the models look rad as hell :allears:

Thanks! I took some pictures of the last game I played but they didn't come out so well; I'll definitely try to get better ones of the next game. I do want to do up another "fleet action report" some time.

Doing an actual LP where players would have input on the next round would be... interesting. Maybe I need to look into one of those tabletop simulator programs...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doing an actual LP where players would have input on the next round would be... interesting. Maybe I need to look into one of those tabletop simulator programs...

Vassal is the one everyone on the FFG board uses.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The star wars mods also have SSDs in them go nuts. Those games were a lot of fun. The Sins mod ain't half bad either.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah I took a look at TTS and its kind of a pain to do stuff. Their Legion module is really good though.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

There is actually an annual Vassal tournament ongoing right now using the ships and upgrades coming out on Friday, if you are interested in the newest meta.

http://www.steelstrategy.com/p/armada-2020-world-cup-homepage.html

Included in the tournament is the current World champion running a very, very broken but mot necessarily "good" list.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Val Helmethead posted:

There is actually an annual Vassal tournament ongoing right now using the ships and upgrades coming out on Friday, if you are interested in the newest meta.

http://www.steelstrategy.com/p/armada-2020-world-cup-homepage.html

Included in the tournament is the current World champion running a very, very broken but mot necessarily "good" list.

I sold out of armada when I got cancer and needed some quick cash and haven't looked back. Playing vassal might trick me into wanting to buy back in and I can't afford it.
One day I hope to reacquire my old interdictor but all I have now is that whale

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

Not good enough to field an actual complete list. Buy someone else's collection. Yeah, it costs more than the core set but if you don't like it, you can resell it to recoup your expenses. If that complete collection has Arquitens, Gladiators, Quasar Fires, or whatever ship FFG hasn't produced lately you can sell those individually at scalper prices and turn a profit.

ask me about my retirement portfolio of Armada futures

But seriously folks, Armada lists with squadrons are SO MUCH FUN. The way the game goes, there's a phase when squadrons can move OR attack. If you use a command to do it earlier in the game, they can move AND attack. There's something really fun about coordinating squads into positions where the enemy ships might move so you can wait for your squadron phase to just whale on them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Some of the unique/ace squadrons are badass, too. Luke Skywalker has the special ability of ignoring shields when attacking capital ships. Dutch Vander will trip an enemy squadron into "activated" status if he lands a hit on them... which pairs great with Wedge Antilles rolling an extra two attack dice against activated squadrons.

In the last game I played, Shara Bey single-handedly shot down a startling number of my opponent's squadrons, as he kept flinging them at her to shoot her down and I was rolling hot with her Counter 3 retaliation. (some squadrons have Counter, which means they get to shoot back at any squadron that shoots at them)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

it seems like all the online versions are kind of a pain in the rear end to get fleets saved? the tts module for legion has a baked in army builder plus the ability to save and spawn armies

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

it seems like all the online versions are kind of a pain in the rear end to get fleets saved? the tts module for legion has a baked in army builder plus the ability to save and spawn armies

Loading a saved fleet is super easy... but saving it in the first place requires some unintuitive fuckery. Fortunately there are guides that tell you how somewhere.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

I was watching a video on how to play 40k in TTS, and there's a little bit about saving armies that might be useful for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5NRHAZWHz4&t=215s

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Played another game of Armada last night. Basically the lists were as follows:

Empire

Impstar
2x Vicstars
a big wad of TIE/ln, TIE/i, and TIE/b

Rebels (me)

Pelta
3x Nebulon-B
CR90
4x A-Wing (one of which was Shara Bey)

My friend won the bid and decided to make me go first. I picked Hyperspace Assault and gambled on being able to crowd him out of at least one of the hyperspace deployment areas while focusing down one of the other ships first... I lost that bet lol

I goofed a bit on maneuvers although I also got hurt by the Nebulons just whiffing their front-arc attacks... seriously at least three four-red rolls wound up with three or four blanks. I did manage to focus down that Vicstar but the whiffed attacks and me feeling the need to race the Pelta out of range to avoid it getting pasted left me unable to really press the attack on the other Vicstar, so my opponent wound up winning after sinking the Nebulons.

It was still fun bringing a gun line of three Nebulons though, no regrets with that list.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh yeah and Mon Mothma did a shitload of work that battle, being able to force rerolls at close range really allowed those ships to slug it out longer than they otherwise would have.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

That is not a place where Nebs want any ship at all. Nor the Pelta.

Oof.

I picked up my new ships on Friday, and have plans to get them on the tabletop on Thursday! WOOO! Well, maybe not the ships themselves, but at least some of the cards in the packs. Well, okay just the new Rebel Commander, and maybe the salvo token upgrade card.

Still, my opponent may bring the new ships!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

StashAugustine posted:

Val mentioned that there's a way in the builder, but I also keep a Google Drive document where I keep track of everything in my inventory, along with fleet builds I've either used or want to use. The builder I use will spit out a handy link to the build.

Val Helmethead posted:

Still, my opponent may bring the new ships!

Nice! Is the Onager or the Starhawk going to make an appearance? (Or both?)

I'm especially interested in comparison photos of the Starhawk and other models... from what I've seen it looks massive.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Nice! Is the Onager or the Starhawk going to make an appearance? (Or both?)

I'm especially interested in comparison photos of the Starhawk and other models... from what I've seen it looks massive.

It is massive compared to everything else, except the SSD. I'll work on getting some pics for you on Thursday.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh yeah and as to your OP in which you posited outflying an Imperial Blockade...

Jaina's Light squeaked by and managed to survive the battle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Not a place she wants to stay for long, that's for sure!

For new players, one of the more interesting mechanics that is used in this game is the "Last / First" activation. Basically, you trade off activating your ships, moving then shooting with each one. Whoever is the "First Player" gets the first activation, then the "Second Player" does theirs, until both sides have no ship activations left and the game moves on to the squadron phase and then a new turn.

What happens when a player runs out of ships to activate?

Well then they just sit there while the other player activates their ships back to back to back until they have none left. Most players bring between 4 and 5 activations to try and keep activation parity, and when flotilla (which are the cheapest ships) came out it was common to see at least 3 of them in each list just to try and pump up the total activations.

Because if you're first player and you're going to get the very first activation, you can also have an activation advantage to give yourself the very last activation. So Jaina's Light can run that blockade by being the last ship to activate in a turn after the ISD / VSD have gone and shot, and jump in between them. Then at the start of the next turn you blow your first activation to go with Jaina's Light again, take your shots, and run for the hills!