Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I do.

it was an Atari 400 and it had a horrible membrane keyboard. it was just a membrane underneath a printed plastic sheet. you had to mash pretty hard to type on it. I mostly used it for games though. meanwhile my dad had a 1200XL I think.

of course it had basic and I tried learning to program, but my child brain couldn’t get much further than typing in listings from Antic magazine. I think I managed to get one game to work that way. I had plenty of cartridge games and I still like to play some of them in emulation!

what was yours? any fond memories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
no

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My first computer was a BBC Micro model B and I often wonder how much better my life would have been if my parents had not made me travel down this dark path

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2knYNDNKfY

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
my dad was a computer toucher at Bull and when I was little when he got back from work he would tell me "I asked my computer if you have been nice" and since the french word for computer (ordinateur) sounds a little like radiateur I would picture my dad standing in front of a radiator and asking it questions

then when I was 7 my dad bought a to7/70 which came with a drawing program using the lightpen and that's the first thing we tried

at this point it became clear that a computer wasn't a radiator but something that lets you draw on the telly

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh yeah! I had AtariArtist and the touch tablet. It was fun to play with, for a child

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
does a speak n spell count as a computer op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes and i still have it

apple //gs, christmas '87

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
heres an old pic of me hacking com satellites :allears:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Mine was a IIci named Bookend and I still have it.

Every time I get rid of a computer I regret it later.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

mine was some DEC terminal that could do nothing but type out a screen of text, unless you connected it to a phone line and dialed in

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yes.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i had a ti99/4a and i saved the programs i wrote on a cassette tape.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

My dad's laptop with Lego Island on it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i remember the 20th of september, op

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
commodore 64. it was a classic and i had a ton of fun learning on that thing as a kid.

my first pc was a 286 computer but i don't remember much about it.

second was a 486 "headstart" computer which had a 1x cd-rom with a caddy. looked a bit like this:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

computers are so boring now that everything is part of the same standard ecosystem

it was much cooler when every new computer had its own operating system and completely incompatible hardware architecture

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

r u ready to WALK posted:

computers are so boring now that everything is part of the same standard ecosystem

it was much cooler when every new computer had its own operating system and completely incompatible hardware architecture

yeah when i discovered BBSes i reasoned that

* terminal software existed for apple // platform
* modems were just serial devices
* my gs had a serial port

my dad did not believe that i could buy this external modem out of the back of computer shopper and then buy a cable out of the back of macworld magazine or w/e and hook it up and have it work. i had to wager him the cost of the modem and cable and pay it back via lawn mowing if i was wrong.

i was right

Gerbil Ambassador
Jan 24, 2020

Death To All Evil Demons! and Hamsters! and Sunflower Seeds!
I remember my parents coming home with a Gateway 2000 with windows 95 on it from Best Buy or Circuit City and my brother being really excited, but me, being a dumb kid, thinking it was pointless because I couldn't play Donkey Kong Country on it. But I eventually came to love it when one of my uncles introduced me to Warcraft 2.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah when i discovered BBSes i reasoned that

* terminal software existed for apple // platform
* modems were just serial devices
* my gs had a serial port

my dad did not believe that i could buy this external modem out of the back of computer shopper and then buy a cable out of the back of macworld magazine or w/e and hook it up and have it work. i had to wager him the cost of the modem and cable and pay it back via lawn mowing if i was wrong.

i was right

there was a local bbs that was run by a rich kid and was just filled with teens doing multi-line chat (the guy had like 10+ phone lines) hooking up, bullshitting, and buying/selling drugs to each other.

there was a girl who was still dialing in with an atari ST until 1997-ish when the BBS shut down because her parents wouldn't let her get a PC.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i had a tandy with a sick amber crt and mathrabbit

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
The first computer in our house was a Commodore 64 that we borrowed from my grandfather to help him with genealogy research.

After that we didn't get another computer until mom brought home a Macintosh Performa 405 for us to use "for school".

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my first computer was my brain op.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
are brains really computers?

computers: good a math, tend to make beeps

brains: notoriously bad at math, generally silent

i say 'no.'

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hmmmm....

my bio-computational analysis seems to suggest that you are wrong.

most illogical.....

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

rotor posted:

i say 'no.'

hot wet fatty computer, hell yeah

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my brsin computer is super smooth. makes it compute faster. if i smell enough gasoline it feels like hitting the turbo button

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

rotor posted:

i say 'no.'

I like this reasoning

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Yes OP it was a QOMPAQ386 that I dismantled completely once as a kid because the monitor wasn't turning on and it was because the VGA cable wasn't screwed in and came loose but I learned how to build a PC that day.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

my first compooper was some Macintosh SE that must've been the last black and white version, cuz I remember using a colored Mac SE in elementary school a year or two later.

i mostly remember the "Uh Oh!" from crashes

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

that was the last time i ever used a mouse on the left side of the keyboard

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gently caress SNEEP posted:

that was the last time i ever used a mouse on the left side of the keyboard

my experience was very different

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
hell yeah i do

it was the Epson Equity ii

a offbrand 80186 clone that my dad snaked the 20mb HDD out of and just left me with floppies

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
It was a dell i386-SX with DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11.

GORRILAS.BAS for life (and Commander Keen)

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Heck yes.
My first machine that was actually my own and not my dad's was a 486 DX2 66. It had DOS and Windows, a TURBO button and some sweet floppy drives, plus I think a CD Rom drive too. And a QUANTUM FIREBALL hard disk with something like 800 MEGABYTES of available space (that's as many as eighty tens. You could put like 500 floppies worth of stuff on there and have space left over!)

I miss my turbo button. I used to turn it off for some games because they couldn't handle my super fast machine and would become unplayably fast.
I think all PCs nowadays should come with a turbo button that, even if it doesn't affect the speed of your machine, makes some sort of afterburner noise when you press it and maybe adds a motion blur effect around the edges of your screen.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

President Beep posted:

my experience was very different

:whitewater:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Atari 800

chonking cassettes into that thing was so satisfying

also lol sneip your first computer was a printer

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

lord funk posted:

Atari 800

chonking cassettes into that thing was so satisfying

also lol sneip your first computer was a printer

i did have a printer but it was not even an epson lol it was uuh, microline 9? or something?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Mine was a vic-20. I remember how awesome it was when I got the Programmer's Reference Guide for my 11th B-day, along with the game "Snake Byte". I made so many stupid BASIC games once I learned how to do graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a TI-99/4A that my mom bought used at work for my older sister