Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Star Fox Assault was the long-awaited return to arcadey rail-shooting space action for the franchise after the odd Zelda-ish detour that was Star Fox Adventures (which we previously played through). While the reaction to Adventures was mild bafflement, Assault proved to be more what fans had waited for, albeit hampered by a very short campaign and less of Star Fox's bread-and-butter space shooting levels in favor of janky third-person levels on the ground. But just change your control settings to the one that's like a modern third-person shooter, and boom, it's another really good Star Fox! Not a gold star like 64, but a solid silver.

----------------

The Story:
The Star Fox team - now with Krystal from Adventures on board and Peppy stepping back into an adviser role - jump into a battle between the Cornerian Armada and the remnants of Andross' forces, with Andross' nephew Oikonny at the helm. Their easy success over him is short-lived, as an enemy from Corneria's past crashes the party: the Borg-like bugs of nightmares, the Aparoids. It's up to Star Fox and some unlikely allies to stop them before they've assimilated the entire Lylat System into their collective.

----------------

The LP:
I'm playing on Silver difficulty, as getting all silver medals unlocks a playable arcade game, Xevious. I'm not concerned with any other unlockables or secrets you can find, so this is otherwise a straight playthrough. Mugiwara Yoshi and JigglyJacob join me on co-commentary, both of whom are familiar with the game. No edited/uncut commentary for this LP, because the game audio sounds like it was peak limited to 0, so you'll hear it anyway.
Updates are every Monday and Thursday.
This LP was originally shown to my Patreon patrons first from December 25, 2019 to January 23, 2020 before it started going public.

----------------

----------------

Fanart

(By Digamma-F-Wau)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I spent way too much time playing multiplayer with my friends on this.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
My main comment on Assault is this: When one of the worst things you can say about a game is "It's too short"... you probably have a winner on your hands.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I remember renting this game back in the day, got really excited playing the first level playing a Starfox 64 sequel, only to find out most of the other levels were on foot or in a tank.

It's still a decent game however, better then Adventures.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wait, you can unlock Xevious? Did they work with Namco on this game, or did they just ask them to let them put it in and Namco went 'yeah sure'?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

From what I'm seeing it was developed by Namco, and Nintendo is only the publisher.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

From what I'm seeing it was developed by Namco, and Nintendo is only the publisher.

Certainly explains why Xevious' in there.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Cool! I remember playing way too much of this game years ago.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Commander Keene posted:

During the mid-2000s when this came out, Nintendo was licensing out their properties to a bunch of companies to make new games. So we had this, Sega doing F-Zero, Capcom working on Zelda, etc. The results were, by and large, pretty solid and every game that came out as a result of these deals is still pretty highly regarded. They've never repeated it on the same scale since, which is a shame.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
The lack of "GENERAL PEPPER HERE!" is very disappointing.

As for the VA, I'm going to chalk it up to bad voice directing, because no one that gives a drat would hear Mr. Ship Captain Dog and think that's ready for prime time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I remember playing this game but I don't remember much outside of like 3 levels, I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
All I know about this game is the songs that got into Smash Bros, and I must say it gives me hope

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Okay I wasn't really paying attention to Star Fox Adventures but was Krystal always a telepath?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Brunom1 posted:

The lack of "GENERAL PEPPER HERE!" is very disappointing.

As for the VA, I'm going to chalk it up to bad voice directing, because no one that gives a drat would hear Mr. Ship Captain Dog and think that's ready for prime time.

Nintendo games, generally, have weak voice acting. I don't know what Namco's excuse is, though.

I remember being disappointed by the flying sections because I assumed they would be like Ace Combat.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 28, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looking forward to this LP! I never had or played any Star Fox game so Smash Bros is about all I know them from. From what I've seen so far, Falco's already calmed down into that sweet spot of kind of an rear end in a top hat but not too much already.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/b/b8/Scout_misc07.wav

Kibayasu posted:

Okay I wasn't really paying attention to Star Fox Adventures but was Krystal always a telepath?

She spends so much of the game as not a character that I can't remember her having any powers at all either. She could've gotten that from being in the crystal for all I know.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I don't remember much of this game.

It was that short.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Kibayasu posted:

Maybe they went and mixed her up with that character from Bucky O'Hare. :shrug:

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i'll be the naysayer and say i hated this game and my fond experiences end at 1) choice examples from the soundtrack and 2) the multiplayer, which i'd have loved to have a generation later for some 6v6 or something.

this first level isn't too bad though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

I don't remember much of this game.

It was that short.

What I find most memorable is it's when Star Fox starts getting seriously into body horror stuff out of nowhere.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I never thought of Falco being from the Five Points, but I'm definitely cool with the interpretation

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Looking forward to this LP! I never had or played any Star Fox game so Smash Bros is about all I know them from. From what I've seen so far, Falco's already calmed down into that sweet spot of kind of an rear end in a top hat but not too much already.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/b/b8/Scout_misc07.wav

She spends so much of the game as not a character that I can't remember her having any powers at all either. She could've gotten that from being in the crystal for all I know.

it was in the star fox adventures manual and nowhere else.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like how they put all that effort into fully animated cutscenes, but left the lip-flapping portraits for in-game dialogue.

Also, I can verify that the game audio really is that tinny in person. I have no idea what the hell they did to make it sound so awful. It has to be an error in the recording or compression or something that they neglected or didn't have time to fix.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Why does Pepper have no pupils in this game

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Procrastine posted:

Why does Pepper have no pupils in this game

He does, but they're constantly all the way at the top of his eyes.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We've discovered the Aparoids, and now it's time to fear them. With ground levels.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Psst, Halo, can I copy your homework?"

"Sure, but change it up so it doesn't look exactly the same."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh man, now I remember that I didn't beat this game. Because of an On-Foot segment.

It wasn't even the options menu shenanigans that got me that time, it was just the obtuseness of that particular one.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kibayasu posted:

Krystal spends like, most of Adventures talking to Fox as a giant floating head telling him how the staff works.

I'm assuming they just turned that into general telepathy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Why can't they make Star fox games as Star fox games? :(

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Slaan posted:

really they need to drill deep into the essence of Ace Pilot Culture and make a game that reflects what is found there: Star Fox Beach Volleyball

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played this game in a great many years. I need to find a copy of it. I kinda forgot how good it actually is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I absolutely don't remember Star Fox: Ground existing at all, wow.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Slaan posted:

Starlink is pretty cool if you only play as the Fox characters

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Starlink is pretty cool if you only play as the Fox characters

Starlink's a decent game if you don't mind it being yet another Ubisoft game, with all the trappings that come with their design philosophy, plus some clunky space travel. I mean I love FromSoftware games and they're very similar, but when I found and cleared out the first of dozens of outposts, it was so rote it was almost comical.
Although I played it with it downloaded directly to my Switch, and one game crash set me back like two days' worth of progress, so maybe get the cartridge version or just skip it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

ThornBrain posted:

Starlink's a decent game if you don't mind it being yet another Ubisoft game, with all the trappings that come with their design philosophy, plus some clunky space travel. I mean I love FromSoftware games and they're very similar, but when I found and cleared out the first of dozens of outposts, it was so rote it was almost comical.
Although I played it with it downloaded directly to my Switch, and one game crash set me back like two days' worth of progress, so maybe get the cartridge version or just skip it.

I wound up picking up the cartridge version of it after the topic came up in your SF64 thread a while back. I've enjoyed it so far, though I certainly would have let it pass me by if it weren't the closest thing to a real Star Fox game anybody's made in the last few years.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

A tricky level becomes a tickly one. Goddamnit Jacob.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I remember Panther, but I forgot that Star Wolf is outright down a member which makes him wanting to attack Fox funnier.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, their fourth thought he was too good for a Wolven (supposedly what their fighters are called) and needed to make a robot face with the exact same weaknesses.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I forgot how sloppy just sits inside the base doing nothing all mission. Even when wolf shows up he just hangs out inside twiddling his thumbs.

For that matter, there's only 1 sewing inside. How did he get there? Riding in the tricky chute on Fox's ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Posted this on the youtube video itself, decided to just throw it in here, too.

In short, the enemy AI in this kind of sandbox arena is vastly inferior to Starfox 64. Every named character, barring those scripted segments where they get chased around, just sticks to their own little area and flies around doing whatever, including Star Wolf. They don't make any real efforts to fight their counterparts. None of the Star Wolf members will "attach" themselves to you like in 64, they won't follow or chase you around like they used to - they might take shots at you, but even Wolf himself just sticks to his little area. I remain partially convinced that the game spawns new enemies for those instances where you suddenly find enemies on your tail, rather than existing enemies actually managing to "aggro" onto you and chase you that closely.

And as for actually attacking them, since they do stick to one area and don't really do much, they would be rather trivial to take down, so they artificially extend the life of each Star Wolf member, by making it so any time they take damage, be it from a regular laser shot, or a charged shot, they suddenly start flying in this really tight upward spiral, making them basically impossible to hit for the next couple seconds.