Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man all that sexual tension talk and you guys didn't even mention Wolf wants to spank Fox (by "tanning his hide"). The foxhole goes deep here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPx4s0sxfU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The on foot sections give off such strong EDF vibes. All it's missing is Fox singing "To save Cor-ner-ia from an-y a-li-en a-tack."

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DoubleNegative posted:

The on foot sections give off such strong EDF vibes. All it's missing is Fox singing "To save Cor-ner-ia from an-y a-li-en a-tack."

I would totally play a Star Fox-themed EDF game that lets you strafe a swarm of bugs in an Arwing.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

DoubleNegative posted:

BisbyWorl posted:

I would totally play a Star Fox-themed EDF game that lets you strafe a swarm of bugs in an Arwing.
I am envisioning this scene except it's while Fox is standing on Wolf's wing.

Fox: Okay Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf grenade time Wolf Wolf I'm gonna use my whole body! oh my god I used my whole body- OH drat

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BisbyWorl posted:

The Cornerian military is even named the CDF, for added bonus.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jacob confirmed for not-scalie.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Honestly I think Star Fox is best when it's restricted to just the Arwing. My dream Star Fox game is one made by the Ace Combat guys, the dogfights with Star Wolf would be amazing.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 20, 2020

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Err... Wasn't this game already made by the Ace Combat team, though?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The Aparoids also played 64, it seems.

And yeah, the devs had also worked on Ace Combat 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Listening to the last episode, I'm shocked that Wolf calls Fox Fox instead of just McCloud

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's a good thing no one has missiles then, just bombs. Otherwise things would get really confusing, really quick.

'Fox 5!'
'5 of what?'
'what of what?'
'you said my name and then a number. 5 of what, 5 enemies on my tail, 5 rings to collect, 5 switches to shoot, what?'
'no fox i'm just firing a missile'
'oh ok then.'
'Fox 3!'
'3 of what?'
'damnit fox'

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's a good thing no one has missiles then, just bombs. Otherwise things would get really confusing, really quick.

'Fox 5!'
'5 of what?'
'what of what?'
'you said my name and then a number. 5 of what, 5 enemies on my tail, 5 rings to collect, 5 switches to shoot, what?'
'no fox i'm just firing a missile'
'oh ok then.'
'Fox 3!'
'3 of what?'
'damnit fox'

Is there an effortpost about what those callouts mean and where they came from? I would assume one of the Ace Combat LPs has one and I'm interested.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Long story short: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_(code_word)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Had to throw in a bad one before the game was over.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God I wish that dialogue was better when Peppy was ramming through the shield.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
To answer your question about if this mission was a multiplayer map:

Yes, it is! So is every other ground level in the game!*

*the topmost area of Sargasso isn't accessible; the elevator just doesn't move

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Peppy you were the worst mercenary I have ever seen in my entire life. They'd just paid off the mortgage on that thing. :negative:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Bonus: At least he cut off any potential boss fight of the team versus him and rob in the Aparoid'd Great Fox!

For good or ill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Typical Star Fox run; you do well until the second-last stage, and then one of your wingmates suddenly gets Downed just to tank your perfect run and make the last stage harder.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Well, I don't actually remember much about my time with the game, but I remember this level took me like an hour.

Always felt like that big moment toward the end came out of nowhere, too. Though I suppose Peppy does say pretty early on things aren't looking great for the fleet.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Last part was tough just because it was poorly thought out, but our final dive to the center of the Aparoid Homeworld is the right kind of tough.

Thank you all for watching! LPs are stalled for the moment due to issues with my audio interface and all three of its replacements (fourth should be here tomorrow, here's hoping it actually works), but the next non-Sekiro LPs in the coming months will most likely be Jet Force Gemini, Jacob's Doom LPs, and Twilight Princess HD. Star Fox Command will come after Jet Force Gemini since JFG is fully recorded and edited, and I only have the first route of Command recorded so far.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fox and team sit still listening to the bad guy talk for several minutes. Fox contemplates as he listens, there's something nagging at him...

Oh yeah, "don't hesitate, just act." That was it!
"poo poo."

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's funny, I was going to say it's real weird the rivals showed up when they did, because the last episode emphasized that Peppy's sacrifice was the only thing that opened the regenerating "shield", and it closed immediately after Fox et al passed through. So how did the rivals also get through? I was going to say it trivializes Peppy's sacrifice since they could just shoot their way in, but the game makers pre-empted me by trivializing the sacrifice in a different way in the post credits sequence!

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Since you didn’t mention doing the SNES games, I’m assuming none of you have a SNES classic? Merely curious.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
We have access to them but no plans to LP them since none of us have played them. They're not completely off the cards I suppose.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

It's funny, I was going to say it's real weird the rivals showed up when they did, because the last episode emphasized that Peppy's sacrifice was the only thing that opened the regenerating "shield", and it closed immediately after Fox et al passed through. So how did the rivals also get through? I was going to say it trivializes Peppy's sacrifice since they could just shoot their way in, but the game makers pre-empted me by trivializing the sacrifice in a different way in the post credits sequence!

The same thought crossed my mind.

Still, I like our new cyborg uncle Peppy

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

On one hand, peppy being alive felt like a cop out. On the other hand, years later I still find it hilarious that the reason he survived is that he just launched the escape pod because no poo poo, who wouldn't?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Peppy still had damage invincibility from when he caught Pepper's ship and that's how he survived this.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Right, I forgot how short this game is. Feels like probably the shortest game in the entire series. I think that's why I didn't bother picking it up, thinking back on it. I got so much replay value out of SF64, this one hardly seemed worth it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The REAL difference between Assault and 64 when it comes to length?

64 has multiple routes. Assault doesn't. Assault packs more story into that one route it has, but 64 has 2-3 potential different levels you could be playing at any stage past the first of any given run. So it has more levels. However, a single run through of 64 would take a similar amount of time.

That's why Assault feels so much shorter. It's not that it's actually any shorter to play through once, it's that in 64 you have to play through multiple times to see all the levels.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is true, Blaze. I feel like you get a whole lot more out of 64 because of that though--it allows you to fly many different routes through the game, so while it's about the same amount of time from Corneria to Andross as Star Fox Assault, one playthrough of it can be drastically different from the next.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Star Fox 64 is a lot like an arcade game. It's very short per playthrough, but you're meant to play it over and over to try and find every alternate path or secret.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The secret paths in Star Fox 64 are real motherfuckers too, because you're sure as poo poo not clearing the Sector X warpgates on the single laser, and if you suicide because you missed one the midpoint is right in front of where they start.

You also have to know EXACTLY where the Asteroid Belt jump rings are before you hit them, or you won't reach the last one in time. I felt so badass swinging that route the first time as a kid :allears:.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I always had trouble getting to the Aquas as a kid, I could do it but not reliably. I only managed to clear Sector Z successfully when I went back and replayed as an adult.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I successfully saw all the routes and got the true ending as a kid, but it took me a year or two of ownership to actually do it. I didn't even know how to do it at first.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think I mentioned it in Thorn's actual SF64 thread, but the only thing I never managed to do in that game was get the loving medal for Titania. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zushio posted:

I always had trouble getting to the Aquas as a kid, I could do it but not reliably. I only managed to clear Sector Z successfully when I went back and replayed as an adult.

Even when you know what you're doing, 150 Hits on Sector Y is a pretty tall order.

chitoryu12 posted:

I successfully saw all the routes and got the true ending as a kid, but it took me a year or two of ownership to actually do it. I didn't even know how to do it at first.

When I first played it as a kid, I could just never beat Sector X, or even get off the Easy Route (Corneria->Asteroids->Fortuna->Sector X). I felt so amazed somehow getting through that boss for the first time, even though I lost Slippy to it, and made it all the way to Bolse before losing all my lives. Then at some point the game clicked for me and I started blasting my way right into the Intermediate and Hard routes.