Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Here's another thing I came across: Rail-mounted 22LR ammo carrier -- https://grabcad.com/library/22-lr-p...m-2-20-rounds-1

I tried it out. Printed great but I don't like that there isn't a positive stop to keep it securely in one spot on the rail, so I added a hole for an M3 bolt.

It was pretty tight getting the first rounds out, but after the first to break it in it seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Oh man that rules

However, instead, I'm going to model one that clamps onto a scope instead, because my cool 22 is rail-less

E: gently caress that, I can make these for 22 hornet on my single shot, this is brilliant

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Javid posted:

Oh man that rules

However, instead, I'm going to model one that clamps onto a scope instead, because my cool 22 is rail-less

E: gently caress that, I can make these for 22 hornet on my single shot, this is brilliant

Oh, scope mount would be boss.

Also if I had one of those Chiappa Little Badgers it would be perfect for those.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

The Eyes Have It posted:

Oh, scope mount would be boss.

Also if I had one of those Chiappa Little Badgers it would be perfect for those.

They have the ability to clip twelve rounds into the shoulder plate/pad/whatever. Admittedly, that would make it look so much more Fallout Chic, with additional bullets clipped in all over the rifle. I need that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I'm not thrilled with the top "joint" but I'll dick with it tomorrow.

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019

Finished printing and assembly the other day. Compared to my other conversion, this gun has the worst trigger feel in the world. Looking forward to trying it out at the range this weekend.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

A free floated rail? Who needs that? Mount a foregrip on the barrel and torque it around all over the place.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

22lr boxes printed!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Parts Kit posted:

22lr boxes printed!

Fukkin beautiful

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Ok, those are pretty cool and I kind of want some.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Brackit posted:

Finished printing and assembly the other day. Compared to my other conversion, this gun has the worst trigger feel in the world. Looking forward to trying it out at the range this weekend.

Where exactly is the trigger rod in this photo? Does it run somehow up inside the receiver?

Parts Kit posted:

22lr boxes printed!

These look like they turned out great! Anything different from your first print that broke the lid?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Dropped the perimeters down to 2, from whatever I had before. Seems to have a bit more flex that way. There was still a little crackle when I first installed these but it looks good.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

The Eyes Have It posted:

Where exactly is the trigger rod in this photo? Does it run somehow up inside the receiver?

These look like they turned out great! Anything different from your first print that broke the lid?

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. Did you opt to go with a mechanical linkage this time, or have you gotten your fancy-smancy electrical trigger setup even more compact?

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019

The Eyes Have It posted:

There is a brake cable running through the inside of the receiver, with a narrow plastic tube to guide it. There's just enough room to squeeze around the left side of the magazine. It's connected to the sear on the trigger, and pulls from the top.

We tested it out this weekend, and aside from having a lot of extra travel, it's not as bad as I thought.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Would having it 100% solid (like a bar) clean that up and help reliability? Like what is to assure you get proper trigger reset?

I imagine a threaded shaft would help adjust takeup and assure a proper reset.

Note: I have zero experience I only have an internet account.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I'm not an engineer, but I know some bullpup guns use a bar rather than a cable and it's supposed to help somewhat. Problem is that it's a lot more work to make a specifically shaped bar to get around all of the bits inside the gun and you might be dealing with rigidity issues with a bar as well depending on how much space you have.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Bullpup_triggers.txt

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Javid posted:

I'm not thrilled with the top "joint" but I'll dick with it tomorrow.

This is neat and got me wondering if you could print an mlok mounted caddy for some .357s. I like the idea of this:

But I'd want the rounds parallel with the barrel, and Hoptic only does that for their .45-70 and .30-30 mount

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I happen to enjoy modeling this kind of stuff, so if you want that to exist, my price is doing the measuring/googling to give me mlok connector specs cuz I don't know them or have one to measure

honestly my first impression of that picture last time you posted it somewhere was that the vertical rounds were stupid and space inefficient

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

unknonymous posted:

After a 16 month hiatus I was inspired to spend 30 minutes re-doing my broken Star Super B grips model. Now to continue never printing it.

I had to fashion my replacement grips out of a piece of left over cherry flooring. The plastic grips that came with that damned gun were vile.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Hooray, printed my first dumb accessory for a gun. Up until this point, the 3d printed gun stuff I have made has been useful (chamber flags/pistol storage mount thing/ammo boxes/etc)

BEHOLD!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

You will spend more time then printing trying to find the perfect shade of fleshtone.

Also is that on thingverse yet?

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Roundboy posted:

You will spend more time then printing trying to find the perfect shade of fleshtone.

Also is that on thingverse yet?

It sure is! I used the remixed version which fixed the first layer.
Original / Flat bottom remix

I've also been shopping for flesh PLA, I'm going to see how "sakura pink" looks.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

quicksand posted:

Hooray, printed my first dumb accessory for a gun. Up until this point, the 3d printed gun stuff I have made has been useful (chamber flags/pistol storage mount thing/ammo boxes/etc)

BEHOLD!

Mmmm, I love garlic!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

quicksand posted:

BEHOLD!

My cheek rest seems to have printed fine. Too bad the PETG is slicker-feeling and not quite as nice as the textured kydex original but oh well the price is certainly right. I'll have to model some nut holder knobs for the nuts next.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If itís slick could you rough it up with some sandpaper or maybe texture it with a soldering iron then sand the jaggiest bits down?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I dunno, I'd wrap fabric around it and call it good.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

-Grip tape
-fabric
-scuff it with sand paper
-my favorite idea, checker it with a knife or tool.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ugh sounds like work

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Most of the gear, most of the time

Twitter thread with videos of various 3d printed gun failures

https://twitter.com/freegunzone/sta...4521077761?s=20

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

MomJeans420 posted:

Twitter thread with videos of various 3d printed gun failures

https://twitter.com/freegunzone/sta...4521077761?s=20

Cool that the Keltec R&D team is posting videos to twitter.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I always wondered if you could get away with modeling the bores for a 22lr sleeve so the actual pressure was contained by steel instead of plastic.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Some of the designs do exactly that; being basically gun part zip guns with 3d printed furniture and dressing around them instead of being hose clamped & nailed to a two by four.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

This is neat and got me wondering if you could print an mlok mounted caddy for some .357s. I like the idea of this:

But I'd want the rounds parallel with the barrel, and Hoptic only does that for their .45-70 and .30-30 mount

This got me thinking and dicking around in tinkercad.

After a little while I have this:

It has some grooves on the inside for an o-ring to securely keep a round from falling out.

My test prints are having some issues so I need to troubleshoot my printer when I have a chance. but from what has been successfully printed, I can say that it will hold two rounds of .357 and fit on an m-lock fore end.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Cool!

I made a holder for a couple shotshells once and getting it just tight enough to be secure but still with enough give to let go when needed was probably 90% of the work at least.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Found some 1911 grips on Thingiverse and printed them off.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Oh hey I made that too

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b...f63948c76a69328

I just added some geometry to squeeze the rounds, no idea if it will work as I don't have a printer on hand

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kitty Burger posted:

Found some 1911 grips on Thingiverse and printed them off.

That's nice, last time I found grips online they didn't actually fit

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's nice, last time I found grips online they didn't actually fit

I had to do a little bit of fitment as they didn't have a relief cut for the plunger tube but a few minutes with a file and bingo bango, them fuckers fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

I just wish there was more than the one model for CZ75 grips that I've found. That model is setup more for subtractive manufacturing and I don't own a CNC mill.

yet.