Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I posted one upthread that I had good success with, no luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I posted one upthread that I had good success with, no luck?

I should have added Flat grips for the 75.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

So... if one had CAD files for, say, a handgun frame... what would it take to translate that into a 3D print? I know it wouldn't be strong enough to hold up to any kind of abuse, but it's just going to be a display model.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

infrared35 posted:

So... if one had CAD files for, say, a handgun frame... what would it take to translate that into a 3D print? I know it wouldn't be strong enough to hold up to any kind of abuse, but it's just going to be a display model.

If it just needs to look good just load it into your slicer of choice and print it. I am not a lawyer, so make sure you're aware of whatever local laws you are subject to.

When you say "display model" do you mean something to stick on the wall and look pretty? Or do you mean something that would function for dry fire but not handle actual firing?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Yeah, the difficult part would be making all of the parts fit together. If you want just a plastic block the only thing I would say is make sure to print it lying on its side. 3D printing does not like overhangs.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

L0cke17 posted:

If it just needs to look good just load it into your slicer of choice and print it. I am not a lawyer, so make sure you're aware of whatever local laws you are subject to.

When you say "display model" do you mean something to stick on the wall and look pretty? Or do you mean something that would function for dry fire but not handle actual firing?

It'd be legal here; dry fire would be cool but I'd be okay with just bolting on as many real parts as possible - including slide and barrel and grips - even if the parts didn't really move.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I took a little time to model the knobs for my cheek rest. They have little snap fit arms that clip the nut in place.

Have to redesign because the little arms just snapped when trying to push the nut in past them. Oh well, it's just the first kick at the can and I simply cowboyed it up.

My camera's focused on the wrong stuff so it's blurry but the little arm to the right of the nut is missing (snapped clean off and fell out) and the one on the left is just hanging on by a wee bit. Need to slightly redesign and try again.

On the bottom there's a recess for a washer. It's optional but is there to just be a buffer between the knob and the rest if needed. Haven't made my mind up about it yet.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

infrared35 posted:

It'd be legal here; dry fire would be cool but I'd be okay with just bolting on as many real parts as possible - including slide and barrel and grips - even if the parts didn't really move.

Do you have, and are you proficient in, a 3D modeling program? And what gun are you looking to print?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

L0cke17 posted:

Do you have, and are you proficient in, a 3D modeling program? And what gun are you looking to print?

I do not have and am not proficient. It'd be a SIG P228, since there are CNC plans out there as well as parts kits that have everything but the frame.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Those clips are probably going to break forever based on the layer lines. I'd ditch them and use epoxy instead.

You can see that here a little bit on my aperture sight adjuster knobs:

That whole thing is printed in PLA, works pretty well but I need a version 2, a few enhancements after the range testing.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

IR35 - I'm neck deep in printing as much of a fully plastic dry fire g19 as possible. I'll populate it with a FCG and everything.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Yaaaayyyyy

Dielectric posted:

Those clips are probably going to break forever based on the layer lines. I'd ditch them and use epoxy instead.

Well, I'm specifically after 3d printing as much of it as possible. A quick redesign did wonders, and those clips are going to do very little work after the initial insertion so I'll see where this gets me.

The knobs are in PLA for prototyping but I'll probably do them in PET for reals.

Dielectric posted:

You can see that here a little bit on my aperture sight adjuster knobs:

That whole thing is printed in PLA, works pretty well but I need a version 2, a few enhancements after the range testing.

That rear sight is all 3D printed? I'd love to give it a try if you're sharing.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Elite Taco posted:

IR35 - I'm neck deep in printing as much of a fully plastic dry fire g19 as possible. I'll populate it with a FCG and everything.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Elite Taco posted:

hello I would like to know more

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Are you going to use the fcg that allows constant trigger pull without resetting the slide each time?

Red flock? Purple Glock? I cant keep all the types straight

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Looks great!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

With a mockup Glock you wouldn't need a special trigger. Just don't have your firing pin go forwards further than the sear and the slide wouldn't need to cycle for the two to catch on reset.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

The Eyes Have It posted:

That rear sight is all 3D printed? I'd love to give it a try if you're sharing.

It's a modification from this to fit my 11mm dovetails:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3416524

Consider it sort of a casting that requires some post-processing. You really need to sand the slides down to smooth them out so it all moves nicely.

I either need to make a new front sight or sink the adjustment assembly down a few more mm. I can't get the peep low enough to zero it at 25 yards, I'm still like 4 minutes high with it bottomed out. That's specific to the Rossi model that I have, though. It's got a spiffy green fiber optic dot for the front sight and I kinda like it, but I think for precision it needs to be pointier anyway.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Thanks! That's awesome, I'm going to mess with that someday. Always wanted to try 3d printing my own aperture sights so it's cool to see someone's got it mostly done.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Most of the gear, most of the time

Not gun related but I figured someone here may know. My 3d printed gopro mount for my helmet is kind of broken, it still works ok but I'd like to keep it from breaking completely and having my gopro fall off on the freeway. Is there a preferred way to fix something like this? Just a little bit of epoxy? I'd buy a new one but the guy who makes them got in a bad bike accident and stopped selling them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

That is a hilariously simple print, the one guy not selling them anymore is a non-obstacle if you feel like removing it and taking measurements. That's a ten minute model and probably single digit dollar print on Shapeways, which will yield you better build quality than that thing has as well

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

If you've got access to a 3d printer there's several models on Thingiverse already.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:114571
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:115070
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:767416

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Roundboy posted:

Are you going to use the fcg that allows constant trigger pull without resetting the slide each time?

Red flock? Purple Glock? I cant keep all the types straight

I've got an extra FCG from a po surp slide I bought. Just gonna use that. I'm currently working out how I want to modify it to never be able to chamber a round.

I've got the gcode done for the slide, barrel, frame, and magazine. I need to find or design sights.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Elite Taco posted:

I've got an extra FCG from a po surp slide I bought. Just gonna use that. I'm currently working out how I want to modify it to never be able to chamber a round.
3d printed barrel with no chamber?

edit: may need a relief area so the striker doesn't beat it up though.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 23, 2020

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Parts Kit posted:

3d printed barrel with no chamber?

edit: may need a relief area so the striker doesn't beat it up though.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to fill in the chamber most of the way.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I ended up reprinting my cheek rest in PLA, it looks nicer than PETG's "polished lino" finish and frankly with 3 perimeters and 50% infill it's pretty solid. The supports needed for the bolt holes are much easier to deal with, too.

One thing I learned from my PETG print is that my original idea of making a one-size-fits-most-stocks rest that the bolts would just take care of clamping down wasn't great for a 3D printed one. It works much better with kydex which is overall just a lot tougher and takes squish-to-fit better. But when 3D printing one, you might as well just measure the stock it's going on and print one that's just a hair wider. And if I'm doing that then I don't really need the extra toughness of PETG.

I'm going to give it a proper trial run sometime within the next week or two probably.

Also considering, if I have time, making a small 3D printed gun stuff display for an upcoming gun show. People might find it interesting.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Javid posted:

That is a hilariously simple print, the one guy not selling them anymore is a non-obstacle if you feel like removing it and taking measurements. That's a ten minute model and probably single digit dollar print on Shapeways, which will yield you better build quality than that thing has as well

That's probably the better answer, the one thing to note is the shape isn't as easy as those other mounts because the helmet has a crease in it and changes shape in the middle of the mount, so it needs to get thicker partway through. Although it sounds like I could figure this out with my calipers in 10 minutes. I've been looking at getting a printer anyway so this may be a good reason, I want to 3d print mags and accessories anyway.

Is there any particular material that's better than others for printing something that can take high forces, and will most entry level 3d printers be able to use that material? I haven't done the math, but I imagine a GoPro mounted to a helmet imparts a fairly high force on the mount when I turn my head sideways at triple digit speeds.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Range report for the .22 holders!

Dont take this the wrong way, but they're more sturdy than I was expecting. Easy to work with and the lids stay in place on the go and when working with that at the bench.

Thanks to Parts Kit for providing these.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I swear Gerd, some of you have skills that could become a solid side hustle.

If I had the ability to print those, I'd be selling the poo poo out of them on Ebay.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I have discovered a new thing I can do with this modeling software, so I've been making spacecraft all weekend

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Action-Bastard posted:

Dont take this the wrong way, but they're more sturdy than I was expecting. Easy to work with and the lids stay in place on the go and when working with that at the bench.

I want to print some of those. Are the .stl files up anywhere?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

armorer posted:

I want to print some of those. Are the .stl files up anywhere?
Right here!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2837937

Action-Bastard posted:

No problem! Let me know if they give you any troubles. The box is seriously sturdy, it's the lid that bugs me a little.

Also you should totally post your surprises in the chat thread.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Javid posted:

I have discovered a new thing I can do with this modeling software, so I've been making spacecraft all weekend

Yesss

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I made an Enterprise ornament once for a friend who hosted a Christmas party, she's a huge Star Trek fan and she loved the poo poo out of it

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Captain Log posted:

I swear Gerd, some of you have skills that could become a solid side hustle.

If I had the ability to print those, I'd be selling the poo poo out of them on Ebay.

Amusingly the designer did find someone on ebay selling them, and he C&D'd them.

I like the Galaxy Black cheek rest (top) much better than the glossy black PETG (bottom).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Can you cease and desist someone selling an item from a 3D printed file? I'm not even vaguely sure how all that works.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I said C&D but I don't remember exactly. My impression was that whatever ebay's process for flagging IP infringement or whatever, they engaged it and the guy took it down. (The original design is licensed for attribution / non-commercial use.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's an intellectual property thing.

E: beaten

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

"ghost" guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Can you cease and desist someone selling an item from a 3D printed file? I'm not even vaguely sure how all that works.

At least as far as I know, the creator/first uploader of a file gets to set the uses and one of the options is that others can not sell the file or make money from the use of the file.

random one from Thingiverse:

The icons mean Creative commons licence and that if you do anything with it you must attribute the creator. This one, you could make money off of or make a derivative and be good with.

The ammo box one has a no commercial clause and no derivatives. That means that if you are trying to sell the finished print, that they can shut you down from selling it.

Standard clauses, IANAL YMMV. HTH HAND