Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
darnon
Nov 8, 2009

It's also possible the 3D design violates patent/copyright which selling it can suddenly draw unwanted legal attention. I believe the creator of the open source bullet feeder for Dillon reloading presses pulled it from Thingiverse and stopped distributing over those concerns especially with folks making them to sell. Warhammer designs are apt to get C&Ded and so creators use some humorously creative names to obfuscate what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Comfy sponk posted:

At least as far as I know, the creator/first uploader of a file gets to set the uses and one of the options is that others can not sell the file or make money from the use of the file.

random one from Thingiverse:

The icons mean Creative commons licence and that if you do anything with it you must attribute the creator. This one, you could make money off of or make a derivative and be good with.

The ammo box one has a no commercial clause and no derivatives. That means that if you are trying to sell the finished print, that they can shut you down from selling it.

Standard clauses, IANAL YMMV. HTH HAND

Huh. That's a bunch of issues I hadn't thought about before. I'd be curious to see how that system holds up in court.

Or how that system holds up when China starts selling your product for a tenth of the price.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Captain Log posted:

Huh. That's a bunch of issues I hadn't thought about before. I'd be curious to see how that system holds up in court.

Or how that system holds up when China starts selling your product for a tenth of the price.

It holds up 100% in court honestly. It's just really expensive to go there so generally doesn't. These licenses evolved in the open source software and media worlds, and are very widely used.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

armorer posted:

It holds up 100% in court honestly. It's just really expensive to go there so generally doesn't. These licenses evolved in the open source software and media worlds, and are very widely used.

The C&Ds are pretty effective, and people respond pretty quick to DMCA Takedown notices because they carry actual weight behind them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I'm pleasantly surprised. The world is made for thieves and cheats so I'm happy creators have an ability to not get robbed.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

You can also contact someone and ask if you can get their permission to sell their thingie and under what terms. It's OK for them as the creator to extend a different agreement to you than the boilerplate for randos.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

The shopkeeper in me sees a huge profit potential for the people getting in on the 3D printing wagon. gently caress, I think most of the posters here could do well selling their wares. I know dick all the nuts and bolts of this stuff, but it's literally exciting seeing what people are accomplishing.

There has also been huge success making prosthetic beaks for injured parrots. That warms my heart.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Captain Log posted:

The shopkeeper in me sees a huge profit potential for the people getting in on the 3D printing wagon. gently caress, I think most of the posters here could do well selling their wares. I know dick all the nuts and bolts of this stuff, but it's literally exciting seeing what people are accomplishing.

I have a huge respect for people who can, either through intuition or long experience, just kind of know things relating to what would make a good product and what kind of price would fly.

I know one guy who laser cuts stuff and he has a real knack for that kind of thing and it always impresses me. I'm more of a doer & designer who dabbles in the entrepreneurial end.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

The Eyes Have It posted:

I have a huge respect for people who can, either through intuition or long experience, just kind of know things relating to what would make a good product and what kind of price would fly.

I know one guy who laser cuts stuff and he has a real knack for that kind of thing and it always impresses me. I'm more of a doer & designer who dabbles in the entrepreneurial end.

Truthfully, the selling side is just trial and error.

My grandmother had a knack for picking up antique silver and finding moneyed buyers. She moved well in that society and turned buying British antiques for the ultra rich into a massive business in the pre-internet days. Sadly, I was far too young to take things over when she died in 2000. (I was seventeen) But with her, she got burned and had things she couldn't sell sometimes. But then things would catch on, like leather trunks. She literally couldn't buy antique leather trunks fast enough, because they sold instantly. Who loving knew THAT would be a big money thing?

Selling toys on Ebay? It's like shooting mortars. Start shooting prices into the ether and see what starts to stick. Adjust pricing upwards or downwards based on interest and speed of sale. The internet has made life as a seller a lot easier, if your product can stand out in rarity or ingenuity.

I think a lot of the 3D printing people, including people in this thread, have a great ability to make niche products that are otherwise either prohibitively expensive or do not exist. I'd love to see someone here start trying to make inroads with selling. The firearms community is small enough that a good product spreads quickly through word of mouth. Some of these scope rings and odd mounts, there might be money in them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

My whole rear end plan for 2020 is turning all the poo poo I can make into a business SOMEHOW and that is on the list. My struggles with finding a place that just wants to take money and print things have been many.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

Mostly to see if I could, I have modeled my own 22LR box. In theory you glue a BB into the rails for a good snapping lid that won't wear down over time. Until it cracks the plastic or something, I dunno.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Nice. I really love the way the original has detents to hold the lid every 10 rounds though.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Nice. I really love the way the original has detents to hold the lid every 10 rounds though.

I didn't see the point of it, I figured I either want the lid all the way on or all the way off. It wouldn't be difficult to add, just doesn't seem useful to me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

When you're using a Ruger/Buckmark or anything else with a 10 round capacity it's pretty handy because you can dump all the rounds for a magazine out at once rather than having to fish them out. It's one of those things that doesn't matter at all until you try to get ammo out the day you clip your nails.

OTOH the detent part isn't really necessary, you can just hold it at that position.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Yeah i do that with the CCI plastic ones too, it's a great feature of that design.

I would use the detents, but personal choice.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

nvm

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Just spit balling but a 22 box with rows of 6 would be nice for some revolvers

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

You want AR-15 grips and skeleton AFGs and poo poo? https://www.thingiverse.com/mr2quik/designs

Some dude posted a picture of a proof of concept printed in resin here: https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comme...ed_pistol_grip/

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Resin seems like a poor choice since it likes to shatter into some nice sharp edges when it breaks. I've heard PETG shatters too when it does break for the filament printing side of things. I haven't experienced that yet but I've only printed a few things with the fussy stuff.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

action-jesus machined a pvs14 adapter and an accessory ring for our spotting scope and it was tite:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...3#post503179255

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Would a light mount similar to this design be reasonable to 3d print?

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...135#description

I'm picturing something shorter and more compact with maybe just 1 or 2 picatinny slots on it. Still intended for a lever gun. Maybe with the slots on one side instead of the bottom.

Basically a little more like the old school M14/M16 Surefire barrel band mounts:

But it would probably still have to clamp horizontally like the HPG one since there's not really room to fit the mount between the barrel and tube mag.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My honest answer to "is x mount thing printable" is to try it and see. It'll break or it won't. But if you're willing to make it bigger and chunkier than a metal one I'm guessing it'll be fine

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Sure, I've designed and made a few light mounts and they've all worked out fine. My advice would be to ditch the pic rail and make a direct mount for your light. The closer you can mount it to the rifle, the less sticking out to get hit and the less leverage any impact will have on the mount.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So pretty much a clamping thing with two diameters and a couple screw recesses. Measure things and I'll happily model one

E: and it wouldn't be terribly hard to make a low profile rail if you have a rail light already, imo

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Thinkfear - I'm currently thinking of putting a Surefire X300U on it, hence the P rail. But if that works, I wouldn't be opposed to making a dedicated Surefire Scout light mount either. I guess I could always measure the dimensions of the P-rail mounting plate that clips into the X300U and make a mount that just connects directly to the light, but then I would lose the QD feature.

Unfortunately I don't have a 3d printer myself, and I'm currently deployed overseas without access for my guns. I am just planning out poo poo I'd like to do when I get home.

PM Sent, Javid!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Figured I'd leave this here:

https://www.3dprintingmedia.network...imation-device/
Some enterprising fellas in Italy resolve a medical part shortage by 3D printing

This just really highlights for me the kind of possibilities 3D printing has.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Action-Bastard posted:

Figured I'd leave this here:

https://www.3dprintingmedia.network...imation-device/
Some enterprising fellas in Italy resolve a medical part shortage by 3D printing

This just really highlights for me the kind of possibilities 3D printing has.

3d printing has been used in hospitals for a while now for a multitude of items. Including Pollypills where they can make patient tailored pill packs of 6 different drugs in one pill. Formlabs really put it out there for practical uses in medical with their SLA printers.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

This looks cool, basically a 3D printed uplula / maglula

But no STL link or anything though because can anyone explain to me why nothing shared on reddit ever includes a loving source or anything? I'm guessing no one on reddit gives a poo poo beyond looking at a new picture / leaving a nasty comment then mashing next?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

No, I've noticed that too. It's the main reason I don't give a huge poo poo about 3d printed guns, despite that I otherwise would - every foray into it ends like that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'd also hazard people (idiots) not wanting others "copying my hard work" etc.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

So follow up DIY question, since I still don't have a 3d printer.

I am considering installing a small section of pic rail onto the wooden forend of a Marlin, so I can use a light on it. There are commercial options to replace the forend with mlok, but I was hoping to keep the aesthetic and not spend the money.

I just want a reality check to see if this is feasible and maybe some suggestions.

Basically I want to mount this rail on the wood at the 9 o clock position
https://i.imgur.com/op4Xn1b.jpg

Like so: (I'll have to relieve the back to fit it over the barrel band)

https://i.imgur.com/l3t9dn5.jpg?1

However it's pretty thin. Like barely a quarter inch. The wood is "walnut" but I think it is stained birch.

https://i.imgur.com/uzkryq3.jpg

My initial thought was to use wood screws and just epoxy the rail to the wood, with the epoxy doing most of the work. But the rail has to be easily and repeatably removable, and nothing can be proud of the wood once it's removed, because the barrel band which holds the handguard onto the gun has to slide past it. It doesn't need to hold zero or go back to exactly the same angle since it's just for a light.

So then I thought maybe tee nuts. But there isn't really room for me to hammer those in from the inside of the handguard or inlet the wood, and they probably need to be flush on the inside.

Then I thought, a brass threaded nut insert. Something like this?

The bolts that came with this thing are 10-24, I haven't been able to find an insert that's only 1/4" long that's meant for wood. I found one made for plastic, maybe I could epoxy it in? Or I could just cut down the length of one of the longer ones that's meant for wood so that it sits flush. I found a similar product that's made for gun stocks, threaded 10-32 unfortunately but buying new screws is simple enough. Again though, these inserts are also 1/2" long.

Is this even worth pursuing or is the wood too thin? Is it time to suck it up and spend $180 on a mlok forend?

Is there a minimum distance from the edge of the wood / the barrel band hole that you'd recommend I put my holes? I was going to assume at least the diameter of the hole away from any edges, is that enough space?

Is a threaded insert the way to go or should I revisit the tee nut or do something else altogether?

I do have a backup OEM handguard in case I mangle mine.

Thanks!

Edited to add links.

Tyro fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 15, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Shortening a t-nut is the way I'd hamfist that if I had to.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Thought about that too but I would still have to inlet the back of the forend.

Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy the mlok handguard.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Move the rail back two inches onto the thicker portion of the hand guard. That way you don't have to screw with removing it to clear the barrel band during disassembly. I'd use threaded inserts like these with a little epoxy on the threads. Might need to shorten them a bit depending on the thickness of the wood.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

T-nuts suck less to deal with and would be fine in that thicker part

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Sure, t nuts are fine, but making a nice flat spot on the inside for the t nut to rest in isn't something I'd recommend as anyone's first gunsmithing project. At least if it not looking like poo poo is a requirement.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

I have an old school RCBS case trimmer with the draw screw collets, and it occurred to me the other day to make it less awful to use with a little leverage assistance. Thus I made this handle:

Could use some fine tuning but it works and I will keep using it until it snaps in half or something. Real quality of life improvement in spite of how rarely I trim brass.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That is really nice. Great little quality-of-life improvement right there.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Here's a good video of a bullet right-side-flipper-upper-feeder:

https://www.reddit.com/r/functional...eloading_press/

Apparently it uses files from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3207921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

I've got one that I use with a hand crank to load tubes into an RCBS bullet feed die. Had to modify the plate a little for SWC but it works pretty well (if you maintain a consistent speed).