Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

5 hours ago I didn't have loading blocks that would fit 458 socom

Now I do

Not my prettiest print but its 100% functional for its intended use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

IMO that kind of stuff is 100% the sweet spot for 3D printing. Nice work!

Here's something kind of neat. The guy made a laser-dot target system but the real neat part is the 3D printed cowboy rifle with working lever action. The lever cranks a motor, using it as a generator, which powers the laser enough to flash a red dot when the trigger is pulled. Pretty clever.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4297613

Goldfinger
Aug 6, 2006

Hi Guys, I've been away a while but heres my newly completed p80 compact. I have a lot of projects going on involving 3d printers, and other plans involving a pending MP5K purchase.

Wuelf battleworn slide and fluted barrel
Syndicate Arms trigger
Glock oem parts kit with Ď-Ď connector
Magpul magwell
Ameriglo Hackathorn sights
Grey Ghost Precision CP frame

Same slide, different frame. Currently working on a Brownells G19LS slide for this, slow going because I suck.

Let me know what you think.

Goldfinger fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 25, 2020

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Now I have a drill press

Ho Ho Ho

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Now I have a drill press

Ho Ho Ho

I am so jealous. One of these days I'll have a garage and a workshop.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

infrared35 posted:

Now I have a drill press

Ho Ho Ho

I recently bought one as well. One of the things I wish I'd gotten years ago that would have made some of the construction projects in the house look nicer with a lot less effort. Same with the Kreg jig I bought at Christmas.

I have an eFile Form 1 for a suppressor in progress, check is cached so sometime in the next ~45 days I can put bits to metal. Used my Ender to print a test set of centering jigs to go from 1/16" to the final bore of 7/16" and tested them on some dowel rods and it's all concentric when I stack them up, so we're good there. Also printed up an end cap wrench.

I had toyed with the idea of printing one of the super heavy duty AR15 lowers for shits and giggles, but I may just go the 80% route. Seems way more fun and I have way too much spare time and the money to play with right now.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

This is dumb. I finished a Gen1.5 P80 frame and an Advantage Arms .22 upper fits and hand-cycles fine... but the barrel won't lock onto the frame. On the other hand, I have a 9mm upper that locks onto the frame, but is so tight that the slide has to be forced back and forth.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

time to get self clearancing

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

This is less about 3D printing really, but it involves projectiles and 3D printing and photography so here it is: https://td0g.ca/2019/07/01/cheap-tr...eed-photography

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Has anyone tried printing a AR mag follower?

I have a mess of stanag AR15 mags and want to print another follower for 6.8spc and am having issues finding models and am curious how they hold up.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Comfy sponk posted:

I have a mess of stanag AR15 mags and want to print another follower for 6.8spc and am having issues finding models and am curious how they hold up.

Probably wouldn't work that well, the ribs on the magazine body are different between a 5.56 mag and a 6.8 mag. So you'd probably still have binding issues after a couple of rounds, assuming the follower was designed to fit with the 5.56 ribs.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Wa11y posted:

Probably wouldn't work that well, the ribs on the magazine body are different between a 5.56 mag and a 6.8 mag. So you'd probably still have binding issues after a couple of rounds, assuming the follower was designed to fit with the 5.56 ribs.

I hadn't noticed those slight differences before.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Comfy sponk posted:

I hadn't noticed those slight differences before.

Unless someone points them out, or you have mags to compare and are specifically looking for difference, you probably won't notice them. It's subtle, but the two rear ribs are more narrow and shallow, I expect to make up for how fat the body of the 6.8 SPC/.224 Valkyrie/6.5 Grendel/7.62x39 cases are compared to 5.56 (if the mags aren't supposed to be interchangeable for all 4, they sure seem to be! I can't see much difference between my 6.8 SPC/.224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, and 7.62x39 magazines, and ammo seems to fit just fine between them).

C-Products 15-round 6.8 SPC/.224 Valkyrie on the left, Brownells 20-round 5.56 on the right.

Of course, you MIGHT be able to find magazine body plans to print with that follower....

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Comfy sponk posted:

I don't know if that would print well on a consumer printer, lots of overhangs and such. You'd have a lot of supports to remove and sand away.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Oh hey I didnít know this thread existed until just now! Cross posted from the pics thread:

Designed and 3D printed myself a SITES Spectre mag loader since no less than four different people told me they'd have one available soon and never delivered

Printed in resin on an Anycubic Photon Zero. This is version 2. First version was in a weaker resin that I knew wouldn't be up to the task. v2 had the dimensions tightened up a bit to fit better and was made using a resin that's theoretically much stronger. We'll see if it holds up over time.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's loving cool. Nice work!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I have a sig 226 22lr conversion, and the mags were freakishly expensive. They only old 10 rounds but I found if you work a new spring, follower, etc I can get a legit 15 in there

I used an old follower for a black dog 22lr ar mag, and that was a hack to get working. I would love to 3d print the parts I need to more exact fitting

In fact, the mags are plastic in themselves. Is there any reason they could not be printed as well?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Roundboy posted:

I have a sig 226 22lr conversion, and the mags were freakishly expensive. They only old 10 rounds but I found if you work a new spring, follower, etc I can get a legit 15 in there

I used an old follower for a black dog 22lr ar mag, and that was a hack to get working. I would love to 3d print the parts I need to more exact fitting

In fact, the mags are plastic in themselves. Is there any reason they could not be printed as well?

3d printed mags are totally a thing

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Yes they are

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Does anyone know of anyone making a picatinny rail section that clamps onto a lever actions's tube magazine? There are machined aluminum options, but they start at $75. Is anyone printing such a thing?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Beardless posted:

Does anyone know of anyone making a picatinny rail section that clamps onto a lever actions's tube magazine? There are machined aluminum options, but they start at $75. Is anyone printing such a thing?

Rails are a thing where unless whatever you're mounting you're fine with it falling off the first time you bump it you should not be going with a DIY option right now in my opinion.

If it's just for fun though and you have the dimensions for the tube you're mounting to it shouldnt be hard to cad one up yourself.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Beardless posted:

What have you got in mind for putting there? Just curious.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

The Eyes Have It posted:

What have you got in mind for putting there? Just curious.

A light, probably a TLR-1 or something along those lines. Eventually I'll probably just bite the bullet and get one of these fancy aluminum light mounts from Hill People Gear, they make good stuff, I just figured I'd ask around to see if there were any cheaper options. I searched on Shapeways but didn't find anything.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

It doesn't look like a particularly tough part to design up, but at the same time you'd ideally want to print and iterate a few times to work out the kinks. It would be iffy to design and go straight to ordering a part made, because you might run into a problem with it.

(I also put a 3D printed rail for a tac light on my pellet pistol, because my target setup is in a dark spot in the basement. )

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Beardless posted:

I asked about the exact same thing last page! Javid started working on a design. I got lazy and bought a mlok forend.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

I spent like 45 mins on this just to see if I could. Will it work? Who knows! Should print without supports everywhere but the picatinny part. Though it'd maybe be better to split that off into a separate chunk and glue it on or something. In theory you'd slip 6 M4 nuts into the holes on the curved side of the main bit and tighten it in on both sides.

edit: okay I resized it for a lever action I actually own so I guess I'll print it to see how badly it sucks.

unknonymous fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 21, 2020

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

Printed it off and it's like...95% functional. Slipped around on its own but after putting a piece of old bicycle tubing underneath it, it clamped on relatively tight. Still twists around a little if you apply enough pressure but I didn't have the middle screws in which might give it enough clamping force to prevent that. I also don't have an actual light to try with it so I stuck an Aimpoint PRO on there which weighs ~12 oz with its mount. Whether it'll hold up to recoil and/or the environment I'm not sure, but I wouldn't trust my life to it or anything.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Tyro posted:

I asked about the exact same thing last page! Javid started working on a design. I got lazy and bought a mlok forend.

Oops, guess I should have read the thread more carefully! Unfortunately, I don't think anyone makes Mlok foreends for the Rossi 92.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Beardless posted:

Oops, guess I should have read the thread more carefully! Unfortunately, I don't think anyone makes Mlok foreends for the Rossi 92.

Yeah the two that I know of off the top of my head are Ranger Point Precision and Midwest Industries. I don't think they advertise them as fitting the Rossi, though I'm sure you could email them and ask.

Or channel your inner dremelsmith and stick a short P-rail on the wood forend. I almost did that to my Marlin before breaking down and buying the mlok. I would only try that if replacement forends are easily/cheaply available though. Hell, I'll mail you the rail section I bought if you want to try it.

You could just go old school and put a handheld light up there with sliced up sections of bicycle inner tube.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Tyro posted:

Or channel your inner dremelsmith and stick a short P-rail on the wood forend. I almost did that to my Marlin before breaking down and buying the mlok. I would only try that if replacement forends are easily/cheaply available though. Hell, I'll mail you the rail section I bought if you want to try it.

I actually already tried that. It's solid, but it's so far back that the light gets a ton of shadow.

quote:

You could just go old school and put a handheld light up there with sliced up sections of bicycle inner tube.

This is the current solution, I just wanted something a bit less kludgy.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Beardless posted:

I actually already tried that. It's solid, but it's so far back that the light gets a ton of shadow.

This is the current solution, I just wanted something a bit less kludgy.

Great minds think alike I suppose.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

This is the thing I designed for Beardless adjusted for my own gun. I'm not super thrilled with it because you can still rotate it around the mag tube with moderate pressure, but otherwise it holds tight.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

unknonymous posted:

This is the thing I designed for Beardless adjusted for my own gun. I'm not super thrilled with it because you can still rotate it around the mag tube with moderate pressure, but otherwise it holds tight.

Could you modify the clamps so that they have a part that kind of rests against or near the barrel on either side to prevent rotation? Wouldn't take much I think.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

my kinda ape posted:

Could you modify the clamps so that they have a part that kind of rests against or near the barrel on either side to prevent rotation? Wouldn't take much I think.

Yes as long as you have good measurements because if you go too far the contact with the barrel will keep it from clamping correctly. The barrel is also tapered so it will depend on where you place it.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

unknonymous posted:

The files you sent me included a version with a little more space to put a section of bike inner tube as a buffer, would that also cut down on the rotation, do you think?

Edit: Also, what's that scope mount you have on it?

Beardless fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 23, 2020

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

Beardless posted:

The files you sent me included a version with a little more space to put a section of bike inner tube as a buffer, would that also cut down on the rotation, do you think?

Edit: Also, what's that scope mount you have on it?

Well that one does have the inner tube in it, but I think the rotation would be worse without it because there's less friction between the plastic and metal. The scope mount is from NOE Bullet Molds for the newer rifles with drilled and tapped barrels.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

unknonymous posted:

I don't know if this would work with your particular application, but when I used to hand-make acrylic enclosures for electronics and wanted a way to keep them from sliding around on desks, I'd spray them with a few very thin layers (with a full dry in between) of Plastidip. It doesn't take much thickness to dramatically improve the grip, and if you don't like it you can just peel it off assuming it's not in any big gaps.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Wouldn't any part of it touching the barrel melt if the barrel gets hot?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Some prices you just loving pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

armorer posted:

Wouldn't any part of it touching the barrel melt if the barrel gets hot?
PLA starts to melt around 150C if I'm remembering right so you'd have to get the barrel pretty drat hot to melt it. What's more likely is for it to warp.