Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

It begins to soften at 60C, though the "melting" point is quite a bit higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Ya I didn't mean literally melt, I meant soften and deform. Basically I'm saying that I don't think you want it contacting the barrel.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

standard jet fuel - steel beam interaction

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

Came up with I thought would be an elegant way to tighten up the clamp on that mag tube picatinny. I revised it with two M5 nuts and M5 set screws that would screw in perpendicular to the picatinny side and push blocks that match the curve of the mag tube in order to snug it up, kind of like using a non-marring set screw. Below is a cross section of the part showing where the M5 nut rests and the hole the block would sit in. Didn't really work in practice but I liked the idea. In the new version the sides are slightly thicker and get nearer to the barrel. Additionally, the gap between the main body and sides was reduced as previously it was to allow the sides to screw in farther and flex out in an effort to clamp tighter, however in the revision I was relying on the set screw blocks to add tension. The total rotation is cut way down just because there's less clearance to the barrel and it does feel moderately more difficult to rotate it around. The excessive clamping force on the sides in the previous one cracked the PETG in a few days so even though it didn't work as well as hoped, it's still a better design just for the longevity.

It might still work with some modifications. Probably the best thing to do would be to take out the captive nuts for the side pieces and use sex bolts instead. Possibly remove the middle screw altogether and make the set screw block one larger, continuous piece. For all I know the bike inner tube is just not enough friction and it should be changed out for grip tape.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Well, I tried (and failed) to build an AR off of a couple of 3D printed lower receivers. Both of them had the slot for the mag catch slightly out of spec, and the forward takedown pin hole was far enough forward that the rear would not engage, and there was about ~3/32" gap between the rear of the upper and the buffer tower. Probably ok if I reamed out the front hole to be a bit oblong, but didn't want to mess with it anymore. The buffer tube threads on both of them were serviceable though, which was where I thought the problem was going to be. So I hit up the LGS and they had a single Anderson lower in stock among the random assortment of Spike's lowers, including a color filed Unicorn that, to be honest, I would have been OK with taking back the term "Libtard" on if it wasn't almost 3x the cost of the Anderson.

I did end up 3D printing the BAD lever though. No bolts, it just slides overtop of the bolt release paddle, with a bit of tapping from a small deadblow mallet. Finished product and two lovely lowers below. Might try using the one on the left as a .22 AR build in the future, I really don't want to throw them out.

Got the Form1 back for my suppressor, and I'm waiting on the kids going out of town in a couple weeks to run out and get it engraved while I wait.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Neat. What did you print the (failed) lowers in?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

How much would one of you fine goons would be willing to make a thing?

Thing in question would be a simple front sight on a round mount to go around a light bezel.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

How much would one of you fine goons would be willing to make a thing?

Thing in question would be a simple front sight on a round mount to go around a light bezel.

Making that hold zero at all would depend heavily on the light. What kind of recoil will it have on it?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Neat. What did you print the (failed) lowers in?

Both of them are PLA+. Not the best choice, but support with PETG is a bitch and there is a shitton of bridging. I'm waiting on MicroSwiss to get their direct drive extruder and hotend package back in stock before I mess with ABS. Mag fits in both just fine, but the slot for the mag catch on both is too small (could probably work it in with more sanding) and the distance between centers on the takedown pins is about 1/8" off. Printing it at 102/103% would probably fix it but after I had the parts in hand I just wanted to build it and not wait another day and another 1/3 spool of filament to try again for something that probably wouldn't last all that long in use anyways. Once I get the upgrades on the printer, I'm going to get another parts kit and try it in ABS.

The BAD lever is PETG since it didn't need supports, and I have some PETG hex-pattern rail covers and hand stop ready to go on when Amazon decides to deliver the replacement for the mlok screw/nut package that USPS lost last week. Should be here today. I don't see why the lever shouldn't hold up to extended use, but the rail covers might end up warping from the heat around the barrel. And if the lever snaps, I can always beef it up a bit, and it was a 45 minute print.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It doesn't need to be super accurate or really adjustable- it's going on an 8" barrel 300 blk AR, so it just needs to be a basic aiming point for back up

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

It doesn't need to be super accurate or really adjustable- it's going on an 8" barrel 300 blk AR, so it just needs to be a basic aiming point for back up

Can you post a picture of your setup? Like where exactly you want it? Is this because you have the light at 12 oclock on the top rail?

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

What kind of light are you running? I'll design/make it if I have access to that model.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, 12 O'clock light. Right now, it's an Olight ValkPro 2. I have calipers and poo poo, so I can get measurements,

L0cke17 posted:

Can you post a picture of your setup? Like where exactly you want it? Is this because you have the light at 12 oclock on the top rail?

I have no clue how to post pics from the Android Awful app- if someone can help me out on how (preferably without signing up for more poo poo/more apps)I'll gladly post this unholy abomination that I love.

Like I said, I don't mind flipping a goon some cash for work- I just figure one of you cats would do better than my attempt at things...which would probably involve hoseclamps.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, 12 O'clock light. Right now, it's an Olight ValkPro 2. I have calipers and poo poo, so I can get measurements,

I have no clue how to post pics from the Android Awful app- if someone can help me out on how (preferably without signing up for more poo poo/more apps)I'll gladly post this unholy abomination that I love.

Like I said, I don't mind flipping a goon some cash for work- I just figure one of you cats would do better than my attempt at things...which would probably involve hoseclamps.

https://imgur.com/upload

Hit browse, then select your image and upload it, then copy the URL and post it here

Tbqh though a hose clamp will probably be sturdier than anything you can 3d print on hobby printers.

The 2 most useful images I think would be a side view and a view through your optic to see what the sight picture looks like and what would need to be done to get a backup front something

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

https://imgur.com/upload

Hit browse, then select your image and upload it, then copy the URL and post it here

Tbqh though a hose clamp will probably be sturdier than anything you can 3d print on hobby printers.

The 2 most useful images I think would be a side view and a view through your optic to see what the sight picture looks like and what would need to be done to get a backup front something

I'll try and get side pics tomorrow.

I might have to hold off for a bit for a 'through the sights'- right now, I'm trying to figure out how to mount my OEG on a trigger type charging handle upper. My current make do is an RMR on the handguard, which is less than ideal.

I have other optics, but they all run into the same issue, so if I'm going to get stupid, I'm going to get stupid.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't have access to one of those, but if you want to drop it in the mail I'll send the light + part back your way in a few weeks. I'm not big on working off of other people's measurements for something like this. Should be pretty simple, and it'll be plenty rigid + hold zero. Don't worry about the cash, just cover return shipping. Shoot me an email at username at gee📧 if you are interested.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

If itís anything like on the iPhone version you should be able to tap on the screen and get an option to insert an image and then pick whether itís from the camera or library

Like so

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

If it’s anything like on the iPhone version you should be able to tap on the screen and get an option to insert an image and then pick whether it’s from the camera or library

Like so

My only problem with doing it this way is with the photos my phone camera takes, the filesize is too large for the app to upload.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Tyro posted:

My only problem with doing it this way is with the photos my phone camera takes, the filesize is too large for the app to upload.

This is the problem I've always run into.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I have a general 3D printing question -

I'm about to hit a year long goal and might want to get some sort of token for the accomplishment. My health app has these little "trophies" it awards for hitting certain goals. I'm thinking of getting something like that to commemorate hitting the goal.

What's the best place to look for a small, one and done thing getting printed? Would I be expected to figure out all the ins and outs, or is that a service that can be paid for?

I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash, but I'm not worried about being a cheapskate either. What would be my best bet? Or would I just be better off engraving a piece of silver?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Captain Log posted:

I'm about to hit a year long goal and might want to get some sort of token for the accomplishment. My health app has these little "trophies" it awards for hitting certain goals. I'm thinking of getting something like that to commemorate hitting the goal.

What's the best place to look for a small, one and done thing getting printed? Would I be expected to figure out all the ins and outs, or is that a service that can be paid for?

I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash, but I'm not worried about being a cheapskate either. What would be my best bet? Or would I just be better off engraving a piece of silver?

If you have the 3d model already my preference is https://www.xometry.com/

I use them a lot at work for outsourcing prototypes, they're usually on the cheaper end of quotes and they also typically have quick turnaround time.

If you need a model made, that might cost you a bit, depends on how complicated. I do 3d design for a job and like helping out when I can, so if it's small/simple I could probably help out for free or for coffee money and I'm sure other people would help too.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 6, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

L0cke17 posted:

If you have the 3d model already my preference is https://www.xometry.com/

I use them a lot at work for outsourcing prototypes, they're usually on the cheaper end of quotes and they also typically have quick turnaround time.

If you need a model made, that might cost you a bit, depends on how complicated. I do 3d design for a job and like helping out when I can, so if it's small/simple I could probably help out for free or for coffee money and I'm sure other people would help too.

Thanks for the direction on this. I'm just trying to look into it and see how reasonable the project is, or isn't. I'll do some poking around and see what turns up.

I'm always game to throw money at a goon for services, by the by.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captain Log posted:

You might also want to take a look at https://www.ponoko.com/ . They don't 3D print (as far as I can tell) but they do a lot of engraving and laser cutting, so something plaque-ish would be right up their alley, and designing that would probably be a lot easier than a 3D print.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I'd like to get into a 3d printer with some of my Corona cash. What's the entry level these days for something that will make objects without a lot of tuning and hassle?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Javid posted:

I'd like to get into a 3d printer with some of my Corona cash. What's the entry level these days for something that will make objects without a lot of tuning and hassle?
I want to say the 3d printing thread in DIY likes the Ender 3. Another option would be a Prusa Mini, but they're backordered until September.

Here's a link to the thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193&pagenumber=546#lastpost

On the software end if you don't already have a 3d design suite you like Fusion 360 has been great and it's free for non-commercial use.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Unfortunately you just missed out on Creality's Kickstarter for the CR-6 SE which is basically an Ender 3 with some nice upgrades included. Delivery is slated for in the fall so might be able to pick them up at retail then. TeachingTech has preproduction review here. He also has some good reviews on the Ender 3 as well common upgrades and other 3D printers.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

It's worth noting that for hundreds I definitely need something in my hands in a timely manner, so anything on a "fall I guess" timetable is effectively out

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Javid posted:

I picked up an Ender 3 Pro from the local Microcenter for just over $200. Dropped $40 on a 32-bit drop in replacement board and $20 on a glass bed, but other than that it's stock, outside printable upgrades. It's a good starter machine and it's a fun hobby. AutoDesk Fusion 360 is free for personal use as well.

otter
Jul 23, 2007
word.

Mrs. Otter just surprised me with an Elegoo Mars for our anniversary.
I was wanting to print an mlok foregrip for my AR but I had been reading some about the resin curing and wondered if anyone had tried this yet. I was wondering if it would be strong enough if hollowed out, or if its better to print it solid and have a few holes in it for being able to get uv inside it to cure.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Having issues with uncured resin internally is more a problem if its hollow and the part can't drain excess. If it's a solid piece then the volume is getting cured in its entirety.

otter
Jul 23, 2007
word.

Good to know.
I am hoping to have time tonight to set it up and play with it.
I haven't played with CAD software since somewhere around 1997 so that should be exciting. I was never good at it in the first place, but I don't think I'm very creative by nature. More of a tinkerer than a creator.

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019

ARES report on the state of 3D-printed firearms in 2020.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

otter posted:

Good to know.
I am hoping to have time tonight to set it up and play with it.
I haven't played with CAD software since somewhere around 1997 so that should be exciting. I was never good at it in the first place, but I don't think I'm very creative by nature. More of a tinkerer than a creator.

tinkercad.com is maybe a good option, it's what-you-see-is-what-you-get with a really good set of simple tutorials.

Basically you make your object out of a variety of primitive shapes with really good manipulation tools. It's not as abstracted as most more serious CAD stuff (where learning the interface alone nevermind the particulars of the underlying paradigms can be an exercise in itself.)

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

3D printed BAD lever survived the first range trip. Only put 90 downrange to get it zeroed, but shooting 3 rounds at a time and locking the bolt back, used it quite a bit. MLOK handguard covers survived as well, although the metal handguard under them was definitely hot enough to hit the glass transition temp of PLA, so I don't imagine that they'll be a permanent solution. Going to try reprinting them in either PETG or ABS, or modifying the design to print as rail covers instead of directly attaching them to the handguard.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I'd give a 3D printed BAD lever a shot, except there's little point since the Canadian government recently made ARs (which are highly regulated and used for the sole purpose of target shooting since like 1979) prohibited devices.

The cheek rest I made up earlier in this thread has turned out really well. I'm not happy with how PETG looks though, it's way too shiny, maybe I'll try ASA which is supposed to be like ABS but friendlier to work with. Also want to do some 3D model fuckery to print the circumference of the bolt slots as 100% infill but leave the rest as-is.

Not perfect and takes work, but awfully nice to save like $65 on 'em.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

X-postin from the NFA thread

Did someone here have the quietbore 22lr drill fixture? If I could pay to borrow it please drop me a PM or email my username at gmail

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 1, 2020

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

I don't know how I missed this thread the past 6 months.

Used to run industrial sized 3d printers at ohio state and finally got my own last fall.

It's an ender 3 and poor thing has been ran so hard I'm starting to wear parts out.

One of the projects I drew up for it was holders similar to the .22lr design but was doing it for 5.7x28. (potentially others) Once I'm done with work I'll do a photo dump of the current project I'm working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5XemqKH99Q

Dude put a TON of engineering time into this to make it cleanly printable. So far I have *nearly* the entire body printed out. Just have trim and small pieces.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's neat. Never seen the Bulwark before.

I find myself needing a holster (for my SIRT pistol) and I don't have one anymore so I'm printing this Glock holster as something quick and dirty and will see how it goes.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1259285

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's neat. Never seen the Bulwark before.

I find myself needing a holster (for my SIRT pistol) and I don't have one anymore so I'm printing this Glock holster as something quick and dirty and will see how it goes.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1259285

Printed this and well it's aggressively so-so.

Anyway, I printed it out and the belt attachment is crappy but the holster itself mostly fits. There's a retention button that requires both a bolt and nut and a weird spring. I used an M3x24 but an M4 would probably be better. The spring is hopeless, I think. I sure don't have anything on hand to fit it so oh well.

The model is a classic example of a CAD file that is not designed with 3D printing in mind. Tons of overhangs requiring a shitload of supports. Also poor design in that the additional hardware needed is not documented and not readily available. Just another crappy 3D file online. I suspected this was the case but thought I could cowboy it and get lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Last bit came off the printer today

Still to do.

Add springs to triggers, mag catch/lifter assembly

all the electronic guts (on order)