Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

shalafi4 posted:

Last bit came off the printer today

Still to do.

Add springs to triggers, mag catch/lifter assembly

all the electronic guts (on order)

I love it. Amazing color scheme!

Please tell me what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Captain Log posted:

I love it. Amazing color scheme!

Please tell me what it is.

backup a few posts and there's a video I posted from the designer of it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

shalafi4 posted:

backup a few posts and there's a video I posted from the designer of it.

I am a dingus.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have a pair of British Knights that match.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

shalafi4 posted:

Last bit came off the printer today

Still to do.

Add springs to triggers, mag catch/lifter assembly

all the electronic guts (on order)

Awesome. I try to buy clearance nerf guns for Christmas every year. How much are the non-printable components on a per gun basis?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

BeAuMaN posted:

Awesome. I try to buy clearance nerf guns for Christmas every year. How much are the non-printable components on a per gun basis?

It can vary a lot depending on how simple or complex you want to make it. (this one is a flywheel design so it can vary quite a bit)

A really basic setup you're probably looking at $25~$35. (Assuming you have a lithium battery and charger already)

A High end one you could easily drop about $100 in motors/switches (again w/o battery and charger)

A Lithium battery you're looking at $10~$20 generally and a good charger is running you ~$40.

Changing gears. Spring powered ones you're almost always in the $10~$40 range. That range is so wide based more on model/design rather than choices to within a design. One I'm probably making next the guy who designed it sells hardware kits for $30. Piecing all of the components for it out it came to about $70 BUT I'd have parts for several blasters if I went that route. (Problem of not having a super well stocked hardware store close. Makes it difficult to buy 1 or 2 of a specific nut or bolt)

Also, hit up thrift stores. If you're patient you can find nearly anything nerf related over time at them.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

That's not terrible at all price wise. I have 3 cousins... this would be worth getting a 3d printer for.

Will have to try and budget that in. Thanks.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

BeAuMaN posted:

That's not terrible at all price wise. I have 3 cousins... this would be worth getting a 3d printer for.

Will have to try and budget that in. Thanks.

There are a lot of designs out there. Lots of them are "meh"

Look up Captain Slug both on etsy and thingiverse. He does designs and then both posts files for free and sells them. This is really good because he actually makes designs that are made to be printed. (many don't have the best print ability to them)

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

I've been trying to reorganize my 12 gun SnapSafe which ultimately led to me taking out the long gun/small shelf divider and making a second full-width shelf from 1/2" plywood. I moved most of my pistols to this shelf and lined the bottom with velcro so I could make some DIY rifle rods. They're 3D printed with a 3/16" diameter fiberglass rod glued in and the corresponding velcro side glued to the base. The rods are for running wiring and were purchased at Harbor Freight and are something like $10 for 33ft. They were cut into 18" lengths and I put a piece of heat shrink tubing on the free end to try and protect the exposed fiber a little. The total cost of each anchor is something like 25 cents.

unknonymous fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 10, 2020

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Velcro on the bottoms of those things? That's neat and I haven't seen anything like it before.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Velcro on the bottoms of those things? That's neat and I haven't seen anything like it before.

Yeah the hook side is stuck to the shelf and the loop side is stuck to the 3D printed base. It's not an original idea, people sell them by a couple of names like Rifle Rods. Just seemed kind of spendy. For ~$30 I got enough stuff to make 22 of them, a bunch of felt I'm sure I'll use somewhere, and enough hook and loop material to do another full shelf. Not that as many long guns will fit in the safe.

It came out really well and the only change I'd make is reducing the diameter of the base. It doesn't need to be that strong to hold the guns upright and having them that size makes it kind of annoying to remove, especially if you have to do it several times to get to the gun in the back of the safe. I'm particularly pleased with the fiberglass rods which are a great combination of flexible, strong, cheap, and non-marring.

edit: As it turns out there's one on Thingiverse that does it the exact same way. I didn't even think to check.

unknonymous fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 10, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Cross posting my insane rant to this thread too because gently caress 'em.

my kinda ape posted:

Thanks for the pic. I emailed them this morning and they replied just now asking for my address to send me a replacement. Pretty good customer service!

my kinda ape posted:

Waaaaay back on May 18th I posted this. I'd like to follow up on how it turned out! On May 20th they shipped out what I was led to believe would be a replacement unit. What I received, a day short of 8 weeks later, was this:

Zero instructions. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined so it's within my abilities to remove a bunch of screws and replace a thing and plug it in, but receiving that after I was extremely pleased with them for being nice enough to send me a whole new unit is an absolutely tremendous "gently caress you". And the real kicker is the problem was just that the original plug had just come a bit loose since it doesn't lock in place when pushed in. I suggested to their customer support that that might be the problem and asked for guidance and they offered to send me a new unit so hey I guess I don't have to deal with that hassle, great! Once I was forced to figure out how to open the thing up (which took a lot longer than if they had just told me how to) I fixed the problem pretty quick. Absolutely the most insulting experience I've had with any company.

gently caress Anycubic, please don't give them any of your money.

Anyway here's the inside of the Anycubic Wash & Cure Station.

Back side of the LED array

The replacement LED array they sent me appears to have been used from the marks around the screw holes? The board looks a bit different than the one it came with, and the + and - wires are on opposite sides. Both have v1.0 on them. Maybe the replacement was a preproduction part they had lying around?

I took every single screw off the top of the thing and still couldn't get the top lid off. The solution was just to pry harder as only the eight corner screws actually hold it on. Again I was working with no instructions so I just had to guess until I actually got it open.

The insides. That's everything.

The offending connector is the one closest to the camera here. It was just slightly loose. Nothing keeping it pushed in besides friction.

Original LED array is completely functional if it's plugged in.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

Cross posting my insane rant to this thread too because gently caress 'em.

QC? what's that?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have to admit I like this

https://twitter.com/inteldotwav/status/1283886773765013505?s=20

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If I could buy that in purple or bright green, I'd have it on the way before I stood up. That's loving awesome.

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

Unless that u bolt holding on the buffer tube is just a placeholder for something else, um, what?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

It's to help distribute the load from the buffer tube ring which is usually a weak point in printed lowers. Being resin, though, that's totally sketchy as gently caress. I wouldn't be surprised if the first time dropping the bolt doesn't just bust it all apart at the takedown pin holes.

darnon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 17, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly I'm more curious how the stock does. The lower is a problem part as we all know for this kind of thing, but the stock might hold up for a good while.

I mean, range barbie good while. Probably not a good idea to equip your militia with those and then throw them 30 feet butt first out of helicopters hovering over parking lots or whatever.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FWIW "resin" is like saying "plastic"; there are loads of different ones all with very different properties for different applications.

That being said I have no idea what that thing is made of our how well it's been thought through, but it's not necessarily brittle hobby grade stuff.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Might be Siraya Blu which is pretty strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Strong-Precise-Resolution-Printing/dp/B07X84C2FW

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Apparently the clear/translucent electronics fad was tied to manufacturers specifically making clear electronics to comply with prison regulations, as clear enclosures make contraband highly visible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3PfsndsihY
...probably not a prison-approved AR-15, though.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, it's Blu which has the advantage of being slightly more flexible. I actually haven't used the stuff at 100%; I mix it 50/50 with elegoo gray for miniature printing and some hotend parts on my Ender. It's a bit tricky to work with since you want print it heated. I mounted a temperature controller and relay in an enclosure bolted to the side of my Anycubic Photon with a PTC heater inside that can keep it at 30C pretty easily.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

darnon posted:

Yeah, it's Blu which has the advantage of being slightly more flexible. I actually haven't used the stuff at 100%; I mix it 50/50 with elegoo gray for miniature printing and some hotend parts on my Ender. It's a bit tricky to work with since you want print it heated. I mounted a temperature controller and relay in an enclosure bolted to the side of my Anycubic Photon with a PTC heater inside that can keep it at 30C pretty easily.

I've only printed one thing with it (that mag loader I posted a while back) but it's held up very well so far. Before and during the print I put a seed warming mat under my printer to keep it warm

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ought ten posted:

Unless that u bolt holding on the buffer tube is just a placeholder for something else, um, what?

Apparently it makes it a lot stronger, but I don't know if that holds true for the resin printed lower/stock

https://twitter.com/Ivan_Is_Back/status/1283893714356711426?s=20

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Apparently it makes it a lot stronger, but I don't know if that holds true for the resin printed lower/stock

https://twitter.com/Ivan_Is_Back/status/1283893714356711426?s=20

Well thatís fair enough then. I was struck by the way the u bolt looked so bodged-together-garage-project, but I guess the funny thing about 3D printing is so is the rest of it, really

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

Finally bought a semi-auto 22 pistol and made a bolt racker for it from PETG. Since printing I moved the hook forward because it didn't need to be that far back.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's pretty sweet, I like that idea a lot.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

That's pretty cool, let us know how well it holds up to use.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

unknonymous posted:

Finally bought a semi-auto 22 pistol and made a bolt racker for it from PETG. Since printing I moved the hook forward because it didn't need to be that far back.

Nice.

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019

In the copious amounts of free time I've had ever since 'these times' started, I built a replica of my favorite gun from Destiny 2: the Manannan SR4.

I wanted it to still be functional, so the entire thing had to be redone in CAD, though I did use an STL from the game as a reference. It's built around an airsoft gun, so I wouldn't have to get into NFA territory for a dumb art project.

Those orange lights on the side are fluid filled tanks with fluorescent dye lit by UV LEDs.

Painstakingly modeled using FreeCAD 0.18, a program so feature-scarce, I had to write my own python script to get a sketch wrapped around a cylinder.

Printed in ABS on a Qidi X-ONE2. Bigger parts like the stock had to be split up into multiple pieces and welded together with acetone.

Overall, a fun project and a decent wallhanger.

Full imgur album

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's bad rear end. Neat idea on the fluid filled bulbs lot by UV -- I did that for a lamp once.

Next time I need something like that I'll probably just SLA 3d print a shape in clear resin, I discovered long time ago that it fluoresces nicely with UV but haven't found a use for that yet. Basically makes a self-lighting light guide.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Brackit posted:

In the copious amounts of free time I've had ever since 'these times' started, I built a replica of my favorite gun from Destiny 2: the Manannan SR4.

I wanted it to still be functional, so the entire thing had to be redone in CAD, though I did use an STL from the game as a reference. It's built around an airsoft gun, so I wouldn't have to get into NFA territory for a dumb art project.

Those orange lights on the side are fluid filled tanks with fluorescent dye lit by UV LEDs.

Painstakingly modeled using FreeCAD 0.18, a program so feature-scarce, I had to write my own python script to get a sketch wrapped around a cylinder.

Printed in ABS on a Qidi X-ONE2. Bigger parts like the stock had to be split up into multiple pieces and welded together with acetone.

Overall, a fun project and a decent wallhanger.

Full imgur album

You're going to sell those, right?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The captain has a pretty good mind for this stuff. If he says you're onto something then you probably are!

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019

Nah, this one's just for me. There are plenty of other etsy shops selling replicas, though probably not as interactive as this one.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Well regardless that's some stellar work, especially to integrate an airsoft gun. Designing around some other object is usually a pain in the rear end.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

That's pretty drat impressive. Really impressive.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

DkHelmet posted:

That's pretty drat impressive. Really impressive.

Seriously, this. That looks absolutely amazing

Youíre right, there are a ton of boutique cosplayer shops in the world. But you could name your price for something like that.

But, I respect doing it for yourself.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Grimey Drawer

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well regardless that's some stellar work, especially to integrate an airsoft gun. Designing around some other object is usually a pain in the rear end.

The weapon modelers in Destiny seem to have done what a lot of movie prop makers do and build their space guns on the frames of models of real guns.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The weapon modelers in Destiny seem to have done what a lot of movie prop makers do and build their space guns on the frames of models of real guns.

If you think about it that is what actual gun manufacturers are doing too. Sig for example have gone to AR style lowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

MK Machining makes and sells 3D printed versions of products (such as antistatic powder funnels and adapters) which is cool.

Here's another cool thing: turret magnifier

That's pretty nifty.