Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

Modeled and printed an N-frame sized t-grip knockoff. It's got some typical FDM printer fighting gravity issues, but I'm generally pleased with it. I put pockets in the back and then superglued an insert around the 0.016" x 1/4" brass strip. Originally I was hoping I could glue the insert in and just finagle the strip through it, but it's too thick to really work that way. I was testing it with some nickel plated steel strip I had on hand which worked but it's ~1/3 the thickness of the brass. Ideally I'd like to find a thinner copper strip in 1/4" widths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

unknonymous posted:

Modeled and printed an N-frame sized t-grip knockoff. It's got some typical FDM printer fighting gravity issues, but I'm generally pleased with it. I put pockets in the back and then superglued an insert around the 0.016" x 1/4" brass strip. Originally I was hoping I could glue the insert in and just finagle the strip through it, but it's too thick to really work that way. I was testing it with some nickel plated steel strip I had on hand which worked but it's ~1/3 the thickness of the brass. Ideally I'd like to find a thinner copper strip in 1/4" widths.

FWIW, when copper is thin enough you can cut it with a paper cutter, scissors, or a razor and a straight edge, so if you can find the thickness you want but can only find it in sheets or wider strip, you can probably trim it down.
Copper clad for making PCBs is sometimes sold as "scissor cut" if the fiberglass layer base layer is thin enough.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

poeticoddity posted:

FWIW, when copper is thin enough you can cut it with a paper cutter, scissors, or a razor and a straight edge, so if you can find the thickness you want but can only find it in sheets or wider strip, you can probably trim it down.
Copper clad for making PCBs is sometimes sold as "scissor cut" if the fiberglass layer base layer is thin enough.

Yeah I just want to be lazy and avoid spending a bunch of money on a sheet when I only need a 3 inch x 1/4 inch piece.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's awesome. How did you model the inside curve to mate to the grip? Curved stuff is a pain in the rear end.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's awesome. How did you model the inside curve to mate to the grip? Curved stuff is a pain in the rear end.

I took a photo of the actual t-grip I have to use for the front strap curve, extruded it as a block, then just swept a semicircle cut down the spine. Turns out it doesn't really need to be all that precise.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I am currently modeling up a replacement trigger guard for a gun, and there is barely a straight line on the goddamned thing. As a fun bonus it has holes in it for the break barrel release or something, too.

I scanned it and am drawing the outline from that, but drat this kind of stuff is some square peg round hole poo poo. 3D scanning, as nasty as it often is, has a place.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

I am currently modeling up a replacement trigger guard for a gun, and there is barely a straight line on the goddamned thing. As a fun bonus it has holes in it for the break barrel release or something, too.

I scanned it and am drawing the outline from that, but drat this kind of stuff is some square peg round hole poo poo. 3D scanning, as nasty as it often is, has a place.

How are you doing scans?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hah! I am not (yet) 3d scanning except for paying for it once to be done by pros, and dabbling in photogrammetry.

e: Thought you meant 3D scans. I'm doing 2D scans on an old scanner to get a profile of flat sides.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 26, 2020

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

I had that problem once when trying to get some curves off of a helicopter fairing. If there's a flat surface you can press up against, sometimes the best solution is to trace the shape onto graph paper. Then, depending on your cad program, you can either measure some points and drive a spline off that or (2D) scan and scale the paper right into the defining sketch for reference.

Incompetech is a great resource for graph paper if you just want the one sheet, or if you need a nonstandard size.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Iím getting super bored stuck at home and need a new project. Anyone have any ideas for things I can design and build that might actually have any use? Just need something to occupy my time/3d printer to keep from going stir crazy

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

L0cke17 posted:

I’m getting super bored stuck at home and need a new project. Anyone have any ideas for things I can design and build that might actually have any use? Just need something to occupy my time/3d printer to keep from going stir crazy

https://hackaday.io/project/12211-arduino-glasses-a-hmd-for-multimeter

I've been hoping that someone would make a dumbed down version of a smart glass (something that's not capturing video and just pushes text). It'd be cool AF to integrate that into a weapon-mounted laser range finder.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Not a gun part, but I'm currently working on printing one of these F-16 grips which is pretty cool.

If you want to stick to gun stuff, the easy go-to is custom grip panels/hand stops/vertical front truck nuts.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Oops when I said "scan" I meant a 2D scan for th trigger guard I'm working on. Scan it then sketch the outline.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

I suppose on balance that makes a bunch more sense! Here I was thinking you had off-hours access to a Faro arm or something

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Here is the scan (with bits of putty jammed into the voids so I can see where they (kinda) start and end in profile:

Here's after tracing a sketch (incomplete, doesn't show the inside hole)

Then extruding and scaling, etc

And since I want to avoid overhangs and supports when printing the model, I'm experimenting with printing it as two pieces that I glue together.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

All glued up. Turned out okay, we'll see how well it works.

I don't actually have the gun on hand, so not my favorite way to design anything so fingers crossed.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I saw this on Twitter today and it really makes me want a 3D printer and some rainbow filament

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

MomJeans420 posted:

I saw this on Twitter today and it really makes me want a 3D printer and some rainbow filament

I need all four. Now.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

The fun part about those is that they are all from the same spool of filament.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

Tangentially 3D print related but I made a box. I got sick of all my pistol mags just laying in a disorganized pile on top of my safe so I put them in a cardboard box. Then I decided it'd be lousy to dig through the cardboard box to find the mags I want every time, so I made an organizer from corrugated plastic and 3D printed edge pieces. Pretty happy with how it came out, now to make another for the rest of the mags.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's cool. Coincidentally I have also been working on using corrugated plastic for stuff too, I think it's an under-appreciated material.

Any tips of any kind on working with it? Like does any way of cutting it work better than another, etc?

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Any tips of any kind on working with it? Like does any way of cutting it work better than another, etc?

Not really, I just used a snap-off utility knife and a straight edge to cut it. Cutting against the corrugations being tougher than going with them, which makes sense. That's the primary reason I used 3d printed reinforced edges was to hide the sloppy cuts, and to give a surface to glue against.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Hello, thread. I'm here to share my AR/AK hybrid project and its 3D printed furniture. all pics link to huge if required.
Basic build info: x39 sidecharging upper with Midwest Industries floating fore-end and Faxon 16.5" barrel. Aero M4E1 lower. Stock internals (H3 buffer) apart from ambidextrous safety. Yankee Hill Machine .308 slant-brake. Magpul flip-up sights.

I found a Hera CQR mesh, and decided to use that for a stock for my AR build because I like the spacegun aesthetic. The basic mesh, seen here in PLA, was pretty good but the grip needed a lot of work with a file to be comfortable and it was a little too thin for my liking.

it's multiple colors and sections because I was still working through some teething issues with my printer at this stage, and it's a prototype so meh

I don't have pics of the interstitial stages but I went through about 3 prototyping rounds of making changes to the original file to better suit my needs.
First I changed the grip to a Magpul MOE style, using another mesh and integrating the two. I changed the recoil pad profile from the original to one from a PRS stock, and then I printed that section in TPU with just enough infill to give it structure but remain soft. Lastly, I integrated a CTR style cheek riser to the stock. The finished product is exceptionally comfortable and looks bitchin' as hell too boot.

While I was at it I also printed an AFG and the side panels, which I had to re-work to make them long enough for my needs as the original file was about half that length. Everything except aforementioned recoil pad was printed in PETG. All parts were printed on a MakerSelect V2.1 with some off-the-shelf and custom mods done for reliability and print QC.

I'm super pleased with the finished product, have put about 180 rounds through it now (would be a lot more but, covid lol) without any issues.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's super rad looking. I like your changes to the cheek rest area and pistol grip, looks really nice!

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

You dont happen to have that AFG file kicking around still?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's super rad looking. I like your changes to the cheek rest area and pistol grip, looks really nice!

Thanks!

Gray Stormy posted:

You dont happen to have that AFG file kicking around still?

All the original files I used came from Thingiverse, hilariously.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2439598 AFG

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2463323 Hera CQR

One day I'll get around to adding my own mod file for my version of the CQR.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Finally putting my ender 3 to good use.

The lid is printing right now. I am going to have so much fun with this. I think rainbow tacsacs are next.

Edit:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 12, 2021

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

Thanks!

All the original files I used came from Thingiverse, hilariously.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2439598 AFG

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2463323 Hera CQR

One day I'll get around to adding my own mod file for my version of the CQR.

Big appreciation.

Ive got a StrataSys F170 in my office that needs to make some more fun stuff

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I may not be taking this hobby very seriously...

Now to make a bunch of old dudes at the range uncomfortable.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

I may not be taking this hobby very seriously...

Now to make a bunch of old dudes at the range uncomfortable.

The people who'd dislike this aren't proper Gun Nutsô.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Powder Bottle Stacker (if anyone actually has enough powder to stack, that is) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4773747

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Not exactly gun related but I got bored at work.

It's scaled for Lego Mini figs and holds 6 minifig bolter rifles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9C-u8JlCzw

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Now that I have a printer, I'm catching up on all my variable scopes that don't have a lever on them yet:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Javid posted:

Now that I have a printer, I'm catching up on all my variable scopes that don't have a lever on them yet:

That's awesome; how durable does it seem?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

I've been using these things on as many scopes as possible for like 5 years now and they've all held up to normal use without a failure. even the extremely lovely ones weird hack lab people with home built printers did for me before I had my own printer. they're extremely great for how little effort and plastic they consume.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Javid posted:

I've been using these things on as many scopes as possible for like 5 years now and they've all held up to normal use without a failure. even the extremely lovely ones weird hack lab people with home built printers did for me before I had my own printer. they're extremely great for how little effort and plastic they consume.

I'm wondering specifically about 3-gun matches; I've broken things by banging my rifle off the side of a shipping container, for example.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

infrared35 posted:

I'm wondering specifically about 3-gun matches; I've broken things by banging my rifle off the side of a shipping container, for example.

That was such a fantastic match.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Would an item that is dimensionally matched to a regulated component (such as a finished AR receiver) but made out of a material which is unsuitable for use in a firearm be a regulated component?

I recently found out that there's a printer filament version of machinable wax and it's got me wondering about lost wax casting in this hobby space.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

infrared35 posted:

If you're regularly smashing your optic into fixed metal objects than I'm sure you could find a way to break one of these. It's just 11 cents of filament, so making it twice as meaty and/or having a half dozen hot spares in your range bag are both solutions available there. I'd be far more concerned about the optic itself in these cases. :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Javid posted:

If you're regularly smashing your optic into fixed metal objects than I'm sure you could find a way to break one of these. It's just 11 cents of filament, so making it twice as meaty and/or having a half dozen hot spares in your range bag are both solutions available there. I'd be far more concerned about the optic itself in these cases. :v

Aimpoint: fine
Polymer C-More: not fine (it still worked, but the zero was way off after impact)