Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

i think it's fine to talk about cultural differences and one's experiences with them. i do think it's important to incorporate some humility into those stories and not paint with too broad a brush, tho.

I think a lot of goons still have a bit of trauma from living and working overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Cat is Vietnam, Rabbit is China.

Japan is wild boar not pig

Central Asia it’s snow leopard not tiger

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

no why

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

finnish beef, which is mostly grass fed, free range and ecological by most standards

Finnish beef is 100% just a by-product of this:

and I'm pretty sure dairy farms mostly don't keep free-range cows. Or feed them grass.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Finnish beef is 100% just a by-product of this:

and I'm pretty sure dairy farms mostly don't keep free-range cows. Or feed them grass.

Beef cattle and dairy cattle are not the same animals and while people _do_ slaughter old dairy cows for meat, it's not the kind of meat that ends on human table. Mostly dog food.
Similarly, Poland is sorta up there with milk consumption, but beef as a meat is still... not exactly exotic, but a more "extravagant" choice than the Default Meat (pork and chicken). There simply isn't a cultural history of eating beef in the region, all the native cow breeds are dairy too.

Source: graduated farming college

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Speaking of cows

We always get raw milk when I'm in Kaifeng, and I'm always like "I wanna just drink it raw I'll take the risk" cuz it's hard to get raw milk in America. And my wifes always like "no you dont" then they boil the milk. And I never got it, raw milk is a little risky but it's not that risky and boiling milk ruins it.

Then the other week I went and saw the cows, and I get it. I know cows can just be dirty but I think these are dirtier than average. That's all the space they got, too, there's no more, this is in a residential area so there's just houses on every side which really sucks if those people wanna open their windows lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

BrainDance posted:

Speaking of cows

We always get raw milk when I'm in Kaifeng, and I'm always like "I wanna just drink it raw I'll take the risk" cuz it's hard to get raw milk in America. And my wifes always like "no you dont" then they boil the milk. And I never got it, raw milk is a little risky but it's not that risky and boiling milk ruins it.

Then the other week I went and saw the cows, and I get it. I know cows can just be dirty but I think these are dirtier than average. That's all the space they got, too, there's no more, this is in a residential area so there's just houses on every side which really sucks if those people wanna open their windows lol

wasn't there something a few years ago where a bunch of republican reps repealed health regulations on milk, celebrated it by drinking raw milk at the press conference and then they all got incredibly sick?

back on topic, what's the difference between scallion pancakes and the taiwanese savory egg pancakes you get at those breakfast shops?

NoiseAnnoys fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 3, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

NoiseAnnoys posted:

wasn't there something a few years ago where a bunch of republican reps repealed health regulations on milk, celebrated it by drinking raw milk at the press conference and then they all got incredibly sick?

back on topic, what's the difference between scallion pancakes and the taiwanese savory egg pancakes you get at those breakfast shops?

https://time.com/4253495/raw-milk-west-virginia-sick/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

goblin week posted:

Beef cattle and dairy cattle are not the same animals

Most beef comes from male offspring of dairy cows (because their milk tastes really weird!) and old dairy cows.

Only 50-60% of their food is grass.

Source: I don't give a gently caress about your degree from some Kepu-infested hell school, I'll rather believe the WWF.

I mean Hulk Hogan was in the WWF and what doesn't he know about meat?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Even the anti-meat people agree finnish beef cattle is mostly grassfed, even if they don't think this means jack poo poo.
https://animaliamedia.fi/en/is-finnish-beef-an-eco-friendly-product-or-greenwashing/

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

With any luck that'll be me some day.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BrainDance posted:

Speaking of cows

Have you tried UHT milk? You can drink it out of the container without worry, and it doesn’t have that boiled milk taste

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Rinkles posted:

Have you tried UHT milk? You can drink it out of the container without worry, and it doesn’t have that boiled milk taste

I think that's what we normally drink, if it's the milk that comes in boxes that you dont gotta refrigerate until you open it. I can't buy any of the Chinese brands because there were a bunch of milk quality scandals. So, my wife basically said there were all these brands we can't drink. Turns out, the brands with the scandals were all the brands.

The boxed stuff comes from Australia I think so it's scandal free, at least as far as we know.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Rinkles posted:

What are you talking about. It absolutely does have a super weird taste. Its also much sweeter than normal milk.

Still, beggars cant be choosers when you're desperate for English style tea.

E: aus milk comes from black and white milk specific cows. Ive only ever seen them in paddocks and never heard of barn raised or kept. New zealand would probably be "cleaner" tham aus if you were being very strict.

BrassRoots fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 3, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It might have a different taste from raw milk, which i only rarely drank as a kid, but it’s a distinct taste from boiled milk, which I hate.

Can’t drink much milk nowadays, anyway. Still love it, but can’t stomach it anymore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also fwiw, i preferred European milk to what’s here in America, which is sweeter.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
A lot of american milk has the fat taken out (2% etc). my guess is most euros are drinking homogenised full cream. When you take the cream out, the lactose concentratiin is higher. Thus, sweeter milk.

Generally milk is pasteurised. Doesnt taste as bad as boiled milk. Never had fresh myself.

Fyi UHT stands for ultra high temperature. They techically super heat it to like 135degC.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Most (all?) American milk is separated from from its fats and then recombined to give it uniform consistency between packages. I’d be surprised if European milk wasn’t as well.

Don’t drink raw milk. Just like your dog can eat raw meat and be fine, calfs can drink raw milk and be fine. If you hate how your milk is pasteurized, pasteurize it yourself. You can use a ziplock bag or one of those huge half gallon jars and put it in an immersion cooker at a minimum temperature for a length of time. American dairy’s consensus seems to be 145 degrees for 30 minutes.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I love raw beef raw horse raw fish.

How can I enjoy raw milk???

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rocky eats raw eggs, looked great

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

NoiseAnnoys posted:

egg pancake (蛋餅)is like thinner and soft and chewy (usually) and always has egg i believe and scallion pancake (蔥油餅)has more flaky/crispy pastry, is thicker, and doesn’t necessarily have egg though if u get one without egg you’re definitely fuckin weird. also i think the scallion pancake is made with more oil. at least that is my understanding

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Wtfffff

蔥油餅沒有雞蛋. No ducking eggs in a scallion pancake. Everything else is right.

And scallion pancakes better be made in a big pan so they can get a bit of extra surface area and have some fluffy air inside so you aren’t biting chewy dough all the time.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
There’s also 煎餅果子. Which is stuffed with a bunch of things inside like peanuts , julienned scallions, thin paste of doubanjiang, fried crispy dough 油條, a freshly cracked egg to make the waffle have that egg springiness, and some other stuff.

I’m not a northerner

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i like my scallion pancakes 加蛋加起司加辣 and i will not apologize for it!!

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yugioh mishima posted:

egg pancake (蛋餅)is like thinner and soft and chewy (usually) and always has egg i believe and scallion pancake (蔥油餅)has more flaky/crispy pastry, is thicker, and doesn’t necessarily have egg though if u get one without egg you’re definitely fuckin weird. also i think the scallion pancake is made with more oil. at least that is my understanding

cool, i'm going to try track down a good recipe to surprise my wife with egg pancakes one of these mornings because she misses them a ton and we haven't been able to visit Taipei and her parents since the beginning of the pandemic. it's a shame my mandarin and taiwanese are absolute dogshit, I gotta work on that this year, but hopefully some cooking blog has a good english-language recipe.

yeah egg (and sometimes cheese) is key, but the egg pancakes I loved from the breakfast joint in her neighborhood always had bacon or pork in them. definitely one of the all-time great breakfasts, even if the milk tea always gives everyone the shits.

Wonton posted:

Wtfffff

蔥油餅沒有雞蛋. No ducking eggs in a scallion pancake. Everything else is right.

And scallion pancakes better be made in a big pan so they can get a bit of extra surface area and have some fluffy air inside so you aren’t biting chewy dough all the time.

Yeah, super hot pan, and you gotta stretch and tear them while they cook so they get flaky and crispy, right?

NoiseAnnoys fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 3, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrassRoots posted:

E: aus milk comes from black and white milk specific cows. Ive only ever seen them in paddocks and never heard of barn raised or kept. New zealand would probably be "cleaner" tham aus if you were being very strict.

They're called Holsteins in some places like the US and Friesians in others. They produce huge quantities of milk (over 23,000 pounds of milk per year, for US cattle).

The big dairy operations I've seen tend to have large outdoor pens with a structure in the middle that has a roof but no walls, to provide shade and shelter from the rain. I've never heard of anyone keeping the whole herd inside all the time, it would be really expensive to maintain that much barn space and cattle like to be outside.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Lmao

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
No Why Kenobi

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I got a Shen Yun door hanger on my door last week.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most beef comes from male offspring of dairy cows (because their milk tastes really weird!) and old dairy cows.

Only 50-60% of their food is grass.

Source: I don't give a gently caress about your degree from some Kepu-infested hell school, I'll rather believe the WWF.

I mean Hulk Hogan was in the WWF and what doesn't he know about meat?

The cattle industry is a complex thing, a land of contrasts, if you will. Meat & dairy are usually completely different industries.

In the western US, heavily subsidized rageland cattle subsist almost entirely on perennial bunchgrasses, annual cheatgrass and a variety of forbs. Cattle grazing does incredible damage to rangeland ecosystems in the process, but when grazing pressure is high it's especially detrimental to soil carbon storage, organic matter decomposition, erosion control, water regulation, soil fertility, forage quantity/quality, etc. Bulls are bought/auctioned to breed with range cattle, and the most viable offspring are kept while the majority of cows are then sold to feed lots once they hit 3-5 years of age, where they're fattened up on alfalfa hay (the most widespread and most water intensive crop imaginable, used almost entirely to feed dumb loving cows) while living in absolute filth and being mostly sedentary for a relatively short period before they're sold for slaughter. I don't know dick about the dairy industry because none of the cattle I see out on the range or in feed lots are used for dairy.

p much I'm saying that the cattle industry is disproportionately responsible for climate change, widespread drought, mass extinction, environmental degradation, and ultimately the deaths of millions of human beings if we let this clown show continue. Also cows with the freedom to roam wide open landscapes are just as disgusting and covered in their own poo poo as the cows living in an alley way. They lay down in their own poo, they roll around in it, they eat poisonous plants and deliriously stumble around and drool all over themselves. gently caress cows, they're bad. thanks for reading.

also Hulk Hogan would lose if he wrestled a cow. he'd break his hand punching their thick rear end heads and then they'd just sit on him.

treat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 4, 2023

The Liquor Snurf
Jul 22, 2021

I am the Liquor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNu-LGkdzY

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god I m dying....

I feel that ccp would be alot more fun

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Okay can someone explain the shen yun jokes to me. It's always here in the SF Bay area and I've never gone.

Is it worth going or is it just some loving culturally appropriated joke

I need to know from the China thread enjoyers

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

loving lool

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

treat posted:

dumb loving cows
Cows are actually pretty smart. I don't feel as bad eating beef as I do octopus, but scoring on my two axes of "how smart is it" and "how much does rearing it destroy the planet" they're the clear winners.

Turkey and chicken? Dumb as gently caress, not nearly as awful to grow, eat 'em all day.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay can someone explain the shen yun jokes to me. It's always here in the SF Bay area and I've never gone.

its really chinese but its a cult. they are nuts

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The jokes are just about the aggressive advertising. It's everywhere.

It's a very dumb Falun Gong cult propaganda show. Do not go. People have gone thinking it would be funny and it is not.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

People have gone thinking it would be funny and it is not.
"I'll just go to it baked; that will be fun, right??"

"No, you really don't get it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It’s a fundraising and awareness campaign for an insane right wing cult that’s just as pro-chud as they are anti-CCP.

Their omnipresent marketing is funny. They are not.