Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Blistex posted:

<gets banned by Genesplicer for racism>

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-pandemic.html

Jesus. We’re all doomed.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't read the Daily Mail.

Don’t tell me what to do.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
gently caress

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Oberndorf posted:

Actually, in a totally tangential moment, one of my med school preceptors actually used to carry a license to prescribe cocaine, which was apparently used in rare cases of ophthalmologic surgeries, I would guess for exactly that property. He did it as a lark at the time, since it was something like a $40 rider on the DEA license he already had, but long since stopped doing it as the fee got worse.
ENT still uses it routinely, and I’ve used it a few times for nasal intubations. Most every OR has it stocked in at least one Pyxis.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

exmachina posted:

Also from my understanding you can't use general anaesthesic for eye surgery because of REM so just whack a line in there every so often

Nah, anesthesia produces a deep Non-REM comatose like state. You can do most any eye surgery under general, it's just why risk it when its completely not necessary, the eye is pretty easy to numb. The only time I've ever done general anesthesia for eyeball surgery is for like developmentally delayed folk and combative olds.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Atopian posted:

...with frequently explosive results, given the prevalence of lactose intolerance.

Kids should be just fine, we all start out tolerant. Though the term lactose intolerance is kind of a misnomer, lactose intolerance in adulthood is the normal human condition (if you go by the numbers). The real condition is “lactase persistence.” Statistically people who still make lactase to break down lactose in adulthood are the weird ones, that gene is “supposed to” switch off.

Lactase Persistence is a mutation that is super prevalent amongst Northern Europeans and appears in varying lesser amounts all over the world (usually higher in herding cultures)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Fojar38 posted:

You're misinterpreting Zeihan's work. He suggests that America is growing disinterested in global affairs and is entering an isolationist phase (for a multitude of reasons both political and material, fundamentally driven by the Americans determining that they don't really need the rest of the world that badly.) This isn't a reduction of American material power, it's a reduction of American will to use it.

One of the hallmarks of his work however, is that regardless of how interested the USA is in the outside world, its geographic position necessitates the use of its power to protect its own interests, namely control of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, which he argues is a core US interest on account of North America being fundamentally a giant island.

In fact, one of Zeihan's core arguments across all his writing is that American material power is guaranteed by geography alone, and it is a pretty convincing one.

That all makes sense actually... "Defending the homeland" literally means controlling the oceans.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
https://i.imgur.com/p9R06af.mp4

lol saw this in the OSHA thread

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, there was some genuine loosening up in the late 90s and early 2000s. A lot of people point to 2008 as when that ended, the nationalism ramped into high gear, and then the regression went full speed once Xi gained power.

god drat Obama

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

uninterrupted posted:

Someone tell me why this man deserved to be lit on fire by murderous Hong Kong protestors.

Or is this another “conspiracy theory”?

https://nypost.com/2019/11/11/hong-kong-protests-man-doused-in-liquid-set-on-fire-after-shouting-at-protesters/

Lol owned

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah! They should be brutalized and beaten into submission in a dystopian surveillance police state by the yellow man instead.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
That white guy just ignored me, I was feeling a little unloved.

Now I’m getting my liver harvested for dissent by some one the same color as me, this is great! All hail fascist ethno-states.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Free Hong Kong

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

peanut posted:

welcome u to beautiful shikoku

no

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am no businessman, nor accountant, nor even maker of good fiscal decisions.

But wouldn't the hassle/risk of doing all of this outweigh the cheapness of the Chinese labour?

Wouldn't it be a better business decision to go somewhere a little more expensive, but a lot more reliable?

No because executives and such are paid bonuses and graded on quarterly profits. Ideally you are at a new company by the time all your terrible decisions start causing deaths.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Flannelette posted:

Also why do they fight each other with medieval weapons? Is there some unwritten diplomatic rule that it's all good as long as no one draws a gun or is it more they don't give them guns for patrol to stop them killing each other as much?

I think theres some no guns in the border treaty they both follow so they just bludgeon each other to death with rocks instead.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The White Dragon posted:

if u want a fasces next to ur username go post in cspam they hand them out like candy

if you don't have one yet it's because you're posting too much in other subforums

F that I don’t wanna lose my burrito

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Malkina_ posted:

Nazi goon gently caress off

Lol goon supporting a fascist ethnostate calling some one a Nazi.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qhsojwxkvg1r0uzl6.mp4

THE SOUP MUST BE SERVED

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
His name is a killing word

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Russian vaccine is actually supposed to be pretty good, like 90% efficacy. The concerns with it were just that Russia said gently caress it and pushed out a bunch of doses before doing proper testing. Although now that that is done and over with it seems like it’s safe and good.

Oh and there’s a better chance it’s actually the vaccine in the vial and not industrial waste like the Chinese one.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Shumagorath posted:

That was my view on Sputnik; it's a clever design and I'm glad it works, but the campaign essentially is the test and things could have gone so much worse.

Yeah it was a big gamble on human life but it worked.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

adhuin posted:

Yeah. They're good enough and same goes for the Sputnik.

Sputnik is actually good though.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

the heat goes wrong posted:

Yea, the problem with Sputnik was that it was released too early and untested. they basically used first vaccinators as beta testers. By now there is enough time and data to know it is safe.

Yeah we talked about that a few pages back.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC a study in The Lancet found it was 90 something percent effective at preventing serious illness and death.

This is incorrect. It’s like 91% effective in preventing any illness at all. 100% at preventing serious illness.

American ones are like 95 and 100.

Anyway apparently the cool thing about the American mRNA tech is how quickly you can modify it. I think I read that if they get approval Pfizer and Moderna can poo poo out variant vaccines in like 6 weeks, just recode the mRNA strands and bam, new vaccine. No dealing with dead carrier viruses etc.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 23, 2021

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Haramstufe Rot posted:

It's not American mRNA tech op.
Yeah it is.

Unless Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts relocated...

Glad I could help.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 25, 2021

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

BioNTech is a German company. They partnered with Pfizer for the trials, manufacturing, and logistics but the actual vaccine (and the tech behind it) was developed entirely by BioNTech before their partnership with Pfizer.

Tech was actually developed at U Wisconsin, furthered at Penn into humans, then Harvard licensed the Penn work which became Moderna. BioNTech then also licensed their work and one of the Penn scientists went there in the mean time.

Anyway the tech was developed in the US so please stop posting ignorant poo poo as facts.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 25, 2021

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

drat son you got me I guess that bumps the USA up to #2 (Taiwan still #1)

Taiwan #1

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

This leads me into a question regarding Chinese athletes.

How does the 'propaganda machine' deal with an athlete that is merely "very good" as opposed to "the greatest in the world"?

Because the CCP, and it's 5000 years of nationalist fervor does not deal with subtleties or grey areas very well.

So how does that work with athletes who win some, and lose some? Is every win a glorious occasion filled with magic and joy, and every loss a humiliating shame that brings criticism and despair? Coz that would be insanely hard on the athlete themselves, of any sport.

Because unless you are the Australian cricket team of the 90s, you can't win them all. Every team/player/athlete is going to have ups and downs, wins and losses.

So this MMA woman's knock out shouldn't be that big a deal. Sure she got kicked in the head this match, but she may well punh the next woman the faces square in the eye for a quick win and all will be well.

She’s going to have to go on a public apology tour for being bringing shame to the Celestial Empire. Then she will disappear and maybe some party member will get her liver.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The whole "China is perfect and has never and will never do wrong" mindset just loving baffles me. Every single country in the world has blood on its hands and I couldn't even name one which isn't plunging its hands into the blood trough to add more as we speak.
The great thing is that went you point out out blatant facts they can’t deny they just engage in whataboutism. "And you are lynching Negroes" etc. Then when your reply is “Yes that was terrible and my country should feel ashamed and others should learn from it” it breaks their brains and they just start the autistic screeching.

Willingly lose face!?!! Impossible!

An embezzlement scheme? In China? Involving poorly made/thought out infrastructure that doesn't eventuate?

Surely that's unpossible.
Yeah a year or so ago someone tracked down the corpses of these things abandoned in some warehouse or glorified carport somewhere.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is literally what happened in the AusPol thread.

One of the idiots said, "If you say all of those things China is doing is bad, then you have to say what the Australian government is doing to the Aboriginal people is bad."

To which I replied, "Yes." and they lost their mind.

It's amazing how it always plays out the same. It's like they work off a script.

Lol I just got probated by genesplicer for my post. I can’t believe that dope is still around. Stay out of this thread gene. We have good mod here.

Son of Rodney posted:

I have engaged with numerous 50c wolf warriors on reddit and what gets me is the amount of obscure bullshit they'll whatabout at me sometimes. "oh Chinas treatment of uighurs is bad? What about the treatment of native americans in the state of washington in 1875 then?" i always reply with "that is atrocious just like what china is doing, also i am not American and whataboutism is not an argument" and they never reply again and just downvote me to hell.

Im 100 percent sure they just have a list of copy pasteable historic atrocities for each country ready to go, but they flounder when they can't figure out which one it is.

Anyway I love how everyone has had the same experience. The concept of acknowledging your own wrong doing as bad is just brain breaking for the them.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 21, 2021

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

ninjoatse.cx posted:

All goons are either on the spectrum or in denial about being on the spectrum. Everyone who isn’t stopped posting in their 20s.

This guy gets it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

LimburgLimbo posted:

I think you’ll find that the Republic of China is without a doubt one of the two separate Chinas that exist.

No actually there’s only one China, Republic of a China. There’s a big insurgent faction on the mainland though that’s been causing trouble for a while though. Hopefully Formosan Stonewall Jackson will burn it down though and put the rebel scum leader Xi Jinping’s fat Pooh bear head on a pike though.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Haramstufe Rot posted:

I just wandered into QCS and demanded that genocide deniers be banned, least of all because I find their posts equating Uighurs with barbarians to be extremely racist.

On the other hand, several people elsewhere feel that this thread is more racist towards Chinese people than it is funny.

Good thing to do would be to take a step back and examine whether posting funny China things could do be done with less racism, imo.

Chinese is a nationality not a race. Even though the CCP would like you to believe otherwise and that they have control over every person of Chinese descent world wide.

Hell Chinese isn’t even an ethnic group. Although Daddy Xi is doing his best to make it one by genociding every non-Han he can.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 29, 2021

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

je1 healthcare posted:

The CCP admitted that they extrajudicially detained at least several hundred thousand Uyghurs.

They then all went on vacation. I’m sure we’ll hear back from them any day now.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Genesplicer posted:

I'm sorry I failed to live up to your expectations.
We’re used to it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The only place in the world with more food availability than the US is Ireland, and that's just because there are huge regions of the US where it's impractical to grow things yet people still live there.

We lucked out pretty good that the entire middle of our continent is prairie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Stink Billyums posted:

also ice water

Bad for healthy