Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
"Wet Market."

Looks like the newest Coronavirus sufferer in the US is in Maricopa County, AZ, where I also happen to reside. Been nice posting with you all.

I will be dead and unable to see its glory but hopefully China will finally become #1 by 2025 as planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

New av for Caps Lock Broken?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

radicaldreamer posted:

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1223639844829769734?s=12

These bizarrely terrifying videos keep surfacing on Twitter every few days, but the first one I saw was just people resting in a hospital hallway and not actually dead bodies... these definitely look like bodies, but who knows, maybe it's just sacks of pillows or tarp or something.

They’re probably just having a little nap.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Bardeh posted:

the whole video is kinda weird, he wanders in, perfectly timed just as the doctors pronounce that dude dead, loudly pronouncing everything he sees, but everything looks real. hosed up

Yeah, I thought the same. Plus they’d probably be freaking out and yelling at the guy for taking a video.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

They're the most selfish, impatient, destructive, and wasteful things on this Earth. The worst example I witnessed was a horde of them trampling a bunch of toddlers because they were in a rush to get some samples. "What were these coveted samples" you might ask?

Children's books.

A bookstore in Shenyang was giving out one per child and the old ladies rushed the table they set up in front of the store, sending the several small children that were lined up waiting to the wind. It looked like a dozen people each threw a bowling ball down the lane at the same time.

Worst example I heard about was a food bank in the US giving out big bags of food, and naturally the bored Chinese grannies dominated the queue. They were so shameless that they were throwing the goods they didn't like in a trash can just a few feet away. The video used to be on YouTube, but I can't find it anymore.
I once saw a horde of aunties descend on a table of discounted chicken hearts like a biblical plague of locusts, it was absolute chaos.

Quasi-related to aunties, that reminds me - I'm guessing goons have more sense to, but did anyone ever visit any major tourist attractions/landmarks during May Day? I thankfully never did but seeing photos like this, I cannot even imagine how aggravating that must've been.

Wonder what the "bathrooms" looked like after...:thunk:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

"Boss, I'm afraid he died."

"That's not allowed. I am ordering you that he live."

oohhboy posted:

They say the doctor is still performing CPR to this day.

After an insane order like that how would you even report back that yeah, he is super dead.

Waltzing Along posted:

"We've already cremated him."

"Just add water."

There is sadly precedent for doing something very much like this but way worse :barf:

:nms: :nms: :nms:
https://icantbelieveitsnonfiction.com/2018/02/14/hisashi-ouchi-and-masato-shinohara/

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

The North Tower posted:

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

New thread title, please?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

that's fascinating. in vietnam they got places where u can blow up a cow with an RPG
There is a military installation on Hainan where you could do this back in the 00's, except the cow part (somewhat surprisingly). I wasn't going to spend like 5,000RMB to do it or fire the anti-aircraft gun, they let me pretend to though:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

i don't think that shadow's projected right
:confused:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/chinadaily/status/1232960609257287680?s=21

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Magna Kaser posted:

i remember a friend told me she grew up in some rural rear end part of Anhui, and there was a time when for some reason her small town couldn't get any fresh milk, so the local government gave out a ton of white rabbit candy (a "milk" flavored candy which is actually p good) and told them to melt it down and drink it as a replacement lol.

This same idea worked so well with steel during the Great Leap Forward.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Fojar38 posted:

Imagine how many bad people we could get rid of if there was a virus that was only cured by sucking dicks

:rip: my wife

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
TCM: Construction Edition

https://twitter.com/pdchina/status/1236298774533808128?s=21

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

The North Tower posted:

I get all but the grey one with dialogue. Can someone translate?

No why

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

BrainDance posted:

What Ive noticed about the domestic narrative has been this shift to 'China is going to save the world we are the most prepared only we can help every other country we're so kind we're even sending our doctors to other countries.' which is, whatever.

If the party keeps pushing insane aggressive poo poo in their foreign facing media and China as the worlds savior in their domestic media they can pretty easily make it look like the world is bullying China even when they do something good if other countries give them poo poo for it. You know, like Chinese media does all the time. I honestly think they know exactly how the conspiracy theory type message will be received outside China and how nuts it is, but that that's the point.
https://twitter.com/jacktindale/status/1238441570069774337?s=21

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Did you know? Covid19 is stored in the balls https://twitter.com/pdchina/status/1238880069457764352?s=21

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Get them a 100-year egg, they'll never forget it.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
If you hadn’t had one before and saw/smelled it for the first time, how gung-ho would you be about eating it?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

Considering the propaganda arm (Not D&D/C-SPAM, the official arm) is currently claiming that the virus had nothing to do with China, wasn't China's fault, etc etc? I wouldn't hold my breathe on the 'taking it seriously' part.

That's what I'm afraid of / most frustrated by - the political and propaganda aspect of this.

None of this stops unless Big Daddy Xi decrees from on high that is absolutely must be stopped and prevented. Then the local officials have to feel the pressure to keep wet markets and the wild animal trade closed and that it significantly impacts their career in the party/bottom line.

Unlike his purges for corruption or "corruption", this probably won't help him consolidate power and eliminate adversaries, plus vested interests want to keep it going. Local officials aren't going to change and combat it until it is very painful and untenable to do so.

Xi and the CCP now playing triumphant Hero and doing victory laps that they've somehow defeated this instead of recognizing and addressing the part China as a culture played in this happening in the first place (I'm not even talking about the coverup and suppression because no way in hell that is ever acknowledged) is pretty troubling and a recipe for something hosed up to emerge from there again in 5-10 years (or possibly less!).

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Honky Dong Country posted:

You guys talking about enforcement doubts makes me think of that Ace Ventura scene where as soon as his landlord's gone a whole menagerie comes outta the woodwork.

:lol: I hadn't considered that but it does describe that perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3faboOu1pM

(1:40 if the time doesn't work)

sticksy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 18, 2020

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

The only @gselevator tweet I can still remember is "It's hard to believe the Italians used to be the Romans" and that was about the sovereign debt crisis.

Thank you for reminding me about that account, thought this would be well-received in China thread:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Lol, "countermeasures" - hmm maybe as in this was an espionage operation, not journalism..?

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202003/19/WS5e72a99fa310128217280367.html

Chinese Pravda posted:

Countermeasures taken against United States media outlets are legitimate and justified self-defense that Beijing is compelled to take in response to Washington's unreasonable oppression of Chinese media organizations, Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said on Wednesday.

"They are entirely necessary and reciprocal. We urge the US side to immediately correct its mistakes. Otherwise, it will be the US side who suffers greater loss," he said, adding that China has all the options on the table.

In countermeasures announced by the ministry early on Wednesday, it demanded that US journalists working with The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post whose press credentials are due to expire before the end of 2020 notify the ministry's information department within four days and hand back their press cards within 10 days.

It also demanded the branches in China of the three newspapers as well as the Voice of America and Time magazine provide information about their staff, finances, operations and real estate in China.

The ministry said the measures are in response to the US decision this month to reduce by 40 percent the number of Chinese nationals working for five Chinese media outlets in the US, which were designated "foreign missions" by the US State Department in February.

"If any US media outlet has any complaints over China's countermeasures, they can bring it forward to the US government," Geng said.

When asked whether the journalists have to leave China immediately after 10 days, Geng said that unlike what the US has done with Chinese journalists, China will deal with the issue in a more considerate and humanitarian way given the current epidemic situation.

"China's fundamental State policy of opening-up has not changed and will not change," Geng said, adding that foreign media outlets and journalists who cover stories in accordance with laws and regulations are always welcome in China and will get continued assistance from Beijing.

"What we reject is ideological bias against China, fake news made in the name of press freedom and breaches of ethics in journalism."

Li Haidong, a professor of US studies at China Foreign Affairs University, said China's decision is normal behavior in the spirit of diplomatic reciprocity. "China is trying to remind the US of its unjustified conduct and urge it to make corrections so that the media exchanges between the two countries can be smooth and normal," Li said. He said China would not want to see barriers set up to the media of the two countries but has been forced to take measures to guarantee its own dignity and interests.

Shen Yi, a professor at Fudan University in Shanghai, told the Global Times that amity in a relationship can only be established on the basis of equality instead of unilateral tolerance. If the US breaks the normal rules of playing the game, China has to play it according to the US rules, he said.

Li said China holds an open attitude toward exchanges with the US and there is huge space for bilateral exchanges in various fields, including media. "It is critical that the two sides do their utmost to create conditions for strengthening communications and facilitating bilateral cooperation," he said.

:qq:

"How dare the Imperialist US without thousands of years of glorious history not repeated and loudly fellate Daddy Xi and the CCP for the magnificent job during this pandemic they caused and exacerbated through their subterfuge and suppression! Those are the rules of the game, did you not know?"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

oohhboy posted:

Almost crashes foreign policy and the market with Europe because he is too vain to use glasses.

It's this sadly, which is somehow one of the least pathetic yet still terrible things about this moron.

Ashley Feinberg did a good write-up on this. Compare Obama's teleprompter to his size 972 font:

Obama:

Trumpf:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst it is important that China/the CCP covered up the COVID-19 virus, (be it for 3 weeks or 3 months, they intentionally withheld information from the public allowing a highly infectious disease to spread globally.), I think it is equally as important the reasons why they covered it up.

They covered it up because they couldn't be arsed to do anything about it and hoped it would go away on it's own.

They covered it up because bullshit tinpot middle management lower level officials were scared of looking weak/incompetent in the eyes of their superiors, so they actively put lives at risk and threatened those who were trying to help.

They covered it up because those superiors, and the Party has built a culture where looking like you are doing your job, and submitting numbers that look like you are doing your job is a much higher priority than actually doing your job. Resulting in admin officials threatening doctors over the doctor reporting medical findings.

They covered it up for the same reason they are now trying to deflect blame. Because the paper thin facade of "China No.1! Everything we do is good, and nothing we do is bad, even those things we are provably dong bad and wrong are good because someone else once did something bad generations ago" is more important that helping to save lives.

This is a fantastic post and I'd love for it to be spread far and wide to expose the CCP.

Instead of the Chinese or Wuhan Flu, is there a catchy way to name it the Xi Jinping "Pooh Flu" or associate it with the CCP and get that trending somehow?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ronniereagan2_0/status/1241413422765330432?s=21

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Dont Touch ME posted:

What kind of lovely immune system do you have where you are AIDS susceptible in 2020, let alone from bushmeat of all things?

I will eat a pitri dish of HIV cultures and record it if you send one to me.

Hang on, lemme rustle up some of those fresh HIV cultures I have laying around here somewhere.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

My wife was saying that Pharmacies in China (at least her part of the country) are really pushing antibiotics right now. They're being touted as a way of preventing anything and everything Covid 19from taking a hold of you.

Edited the redundant parts of your post - what makes right now so different from the last 100 years? :eng101:

Personal anecdote - I fractured a rib playing basketball when I lived over there - the "doctor" gave me antibiotics and some TCM that I don't even want to think about what was in it.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

The Fear posted:

Gordon Ramsay visits the wet market

https://youtu.be/04dG66tE_wc

:chanpop:

That is amazing, pro-click. The dubbed-over restaurant people killed me.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

The North Tower posted:

lovely startup idea: flood the black market with counterfeit bear bile. Have everyone donate their fingernail and toe clippings for the counterfeit keratin/rhino horn market. 3D printed tiger penises from stem cells.

That's what is amazing/maddening to me - they'll cut loving infant formula of all things with melamine but bear bile obtained through medieval torture and other terrible TCM has to be pure and preferably involving the most rare animals suffering the most unnecessarily.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I think it was someone theorizing in this thread was spot on a month or so ago (Trump Time Dilation Syndrome has hosed up my brain, it feels like it was a millennia) when he was heavily referring to it as the “China Flu.”

He is such a primitive moron but somehow his lizard brain is incredibly adept at manipulating the media - by calling it China Flu, he could “trigger the libs” and fire up his base, while getting the media to focus their outrage on that, instead of his bluster, ignorance, and administration’s incompetence that let this get out of control in the US.

Now he doesn’t want this to hurt “his” economy and the GOP Death Cult is desperate to get back to work on or before Easter to enable him/that. It’s a shame these idiots will infect and kill a bunch of innocent people with their callous actions instead of letting this actually run its course. But they are so unbelievably short-sighted they can’t think or do otherwise.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Kharnifex posted:

Do we have proof of horseshoe bats being available and eaten?

The videos I've seen are fruit bats, which carry worse things

https://twitter.com/michellevermaak/status/1246507067487268869

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Well, :rip: Big Cannon Ren

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...19a9_story.html

Washington Post posted:

An outspoken Beijing property tycoon who wrote an essay blaming Chinese President Xi Jinping and the Communist Party’s “crisis of governance” for the coronavirus outbreak has been placed under investigation, party authorities announced late Tuesday in their latest move to silence and punish voices critical of their response to the epidemic.

Ren Zhiqiang, nicknamed “Big Cannon Ren” for his barrage of critical commentary on Chinese politics and finance, wrote in a widely distributed essay in February that the outbreak in Wuhan was caused by a sclerotic party culture that prized propaganda and flattery toward Xi but silenced free speech.

Ren capped his essay by comparing Xi to “a clown who had no clothes but was still determined to be emperor.”
:bisonyes:

A real estate mogul and Communist Party member who was raised in a distinguished party family in Beijing, Ren has long been seen as enjoying a relative degree of protection because of his personal ties to top figures including Vice President Wang Qishan.

But the formal investigation against him — which is likely to conclude with a prison term — showed the party’s determination to silence critical voices, elite and common alike, at a historically sensitive juncture. Ren disappeared a month ago and is believed to be detained in west Beijing, his friends say.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Shadow0 posted:

Today I saw on TV here in Korea a white women with layers and layers of skin whitening on.

I know another foreigner, she's been here only two years, and I saw her profile picture for the first time yesterday and she's also got just the thickest whitening stuff all over her face. It's so - I don't even know. It just seems weird. I wonder how much of it is trying to fit in, and how much of it is actually appreciating the look.

When I was in Japan, a friend of mine did the geisha dress up thing with what amounted to basically solid white paint on her face, and it's so tremendously unsettling-looking.

The funniest thing though is when you see body builders with their dark muscle oil on, and then this solid line where their face begins which is starkly whitened.

I think they should bring back teeth blackening.

White skin, brown hair, and black teeth - the whole rainbow! 🌈

Every time the skin-whitening conversation comes up, it always reminds me of this:

GOB posted:

She wanted to look 48. I nearly airbrushed her into oblivion. Ended up checking ‘albino’ on the form.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
No, why

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
*tosses coin onto various animals at the zoo and aquarium in the hopes of getting good luck and possibly eating those same animals*

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

I would love to be a fly on the wall at a politburo meeting. I bet they are a room full of headless chickens who don't know wtf to do and nobody know who is taking orders from whom. As it were but this time there won't be money to grease every palm

I know this is not the most important part of this, but how loving smokey and disgusting must that room be?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/INVESTMENTSHULK/status/1251006410172895238?s=20

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Kill All Cops posted:

debating with myself over chicken burgering my social media but on the other hand, getting arrested for saying gently caress china before it was cool would kinda own

:rip: caberham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

hakimashou posted:

We should sanction and embargo china and seize chinese assets.

Everything would break and stop working a couple days after we received them, then when we emailed China to complain, the email address would be invalid and we'd have some weird spyware installed.