Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

hakimashou posted:

If it was a question of evidence or common sense they wouldn’t be that way to begin with.

If that was true there wouldn't be any liberals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
America is the great satan, the mistake is to think that means its opponents are necessarily good in all respects

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The problem I see with that study is it's asking the online white supremacists what their motivations are, which assumes a) they are fully cognisant of them and b) they're honest about them

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's got your knickers in a twist?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shumagorath posted:

Disappointed this didn't make the OP

Global Orwellian AI Police State is 100% what we're going to get

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

WarpedNaba posted:

It's like D&D made flesh.

Drones as Beholders works for me but I'm afraid to ask about the rest

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The PLA rations were all foul-tasting and/or rancid but it was a Ukrainian ration that put Steve in hospital with botulism. That was a recent-manufacture bad batch still within its expiry date.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Blistex posted:

In Korea guys being deployed on exercises never touched their MREs because there was always a granny or two would would drive their ATVs with a cart behind full of food that they would sell.

The British Army of the Rhine had Wolfgang The Bratty Man:

quote:

It didn’t matter where you were In a little wood – out miles in the hulu, coming down the drive you’d hear beep beep and everybody would drop everything because you had to be first in the queue at his stall to get his butties and whatever else he had in his van.

Edit: with more and better pictures:
https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5307

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Humphreys posted:

drat that is a cool piece of military history I knew nothing about! I would love to find 3D files to print my own scene for an upcoming modelers show.

Going by the pics here and the video above, Wolfgang had at least two vans: some kind of Mercedes T2 and a Mercedes TN (seen in two of the pics and the video). Hopefully you can use that info to find 3d models to base a bratty wagon on

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

WarpedNaba posted:

I'll admit, it doesn't get more communist than that.

It's any large organisation in which being honest about mistakes or poo poo that went wrong is disincentivised. I've worked in businesses where we all knew poo poo was hosed but nobody dared to actually say it and everyone pretended it was fine.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Charlz Guybon posted:

WTF does that mean?

A lovely knock-off with a chip on its shoulder

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Known Lecher posted:

Baffled why a law student would want to cap off their legal studies by spending a semester in a place with an almost complete absence of rule of law or fair judiciary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iCZpFMYd0

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDtB8dajZxU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Probably just clumsily translated

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Shirt, tie, waistcoat, trousers, jacket, mask

Six pieces by my count

e: not talking about the pictures above

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ziv Zulander posted:

That thing about them lasting forever is just a myth too. They last longer than they should, but they’ve still got eggs in em, and anything with eggs has a definite shelf life

Sexist

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Media Bloodbath posted:

It's quite delusional to think that something like this happens out of pure incompetence.

BrainDance posted:

You say that man, but... yeah, it does. At least on the software side.

Too often I see people talk as if it has to be either malice or incompetence.

I think you find them together more often than you find them singly.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Reflexive anti-Americanism is a sensible position, where it gets stupid is assuming that anyone else against America is automatically therefore good.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Despera posted:

I dont think the United States has territorial ambitions in SE Asia. Vietnam for instance seems to believe China has more eyes on its territory than us.

They have ambitions, but it's not for territory to incorporate directly into the United States of America

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Blistex posted:

Took the quick way down some stairs this morning and broke my left Scapula.
And already you're back posting!

How broken is it? I've only broken a metatarsal but even that required general anaesthesia and pins.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dick Bastardly posted:

is that where the :itwaspoo: came from?

also, ..... why...... just why

No, for :itwaspoo: search the internet for coogee bay hotel poo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Blistex posted:

My friend got a call from a mainland China number last evening. He outright blocked it without answering it.

I forgot about your friend's drama at first and thought you were talking about someone so terrified of coronavirus that they won't even talk to a Chinese person on the phone

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LimburgLimbo posted:

To be fair that was a dumb title and they knew what they were doing. You can call out the Chinese economy without using colonial-era terms that are pretty iffy.

It was a term coined by an emperor to describe another empire.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The forced bleach drinking is the result of local leaders who don't understand what's happening and are unwilling/unable to admit uncertainty. Decisive action must be taken, but it won't be helpful (or even harmless).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
counterpoint: the cap fits

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Blistex posted:

No cases in my Podunk city, but that didn't stop idiots from cleaning out every scrap of TP, hand sanitizer, and even paper towels. I don't think western society would survive an actual health threat. People are just too stupid and quick to panic.

40 years of telling people there's no society, to look only to their own needs, and that believing in anything bigger than yourself is the mark of a naive (and probably dangerous!) idealist.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Blistex posted:

Austria was pretty high on itself when one of its citizens managed to kill Hitler.

He was a German national at the time though

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Contrast to musicals, which are performances put on by the rich for the entertainment of nobody.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Devils Affricate posted:

Century egg is good

Grass jelly drink is bad

You are exactly wrong and I am drinking a can of grass jelly drink now to prove it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Here's a source that isn't run by climate-change-denying, intelligent design proponents: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/05/travel-costs-outstrips-disease-budget-170522101226365.html

quote:

The WHO, which employs 7,000 people worldwide, said that less than half of its travel costs were on its staff.

In 2016, the agency spent $200m on travel while the figure was $234m in 2015, the year of the Ebola outbreak in west Africa, according to AP figures.

In comparison, the report said, WHO spent about $71m on AIDS and hepatitis last year. On malaria, it spent $61m, and to slow tuberculosis, it invested $59m.

WHO's transport costs were much higher than that of other comparable aid agencies, AP continued.

With 37,000 aid workers, Doctors Without Borders spends about $43m on travel per year, while the UN children’s agency UNICEF, which employs 13,000 people, said it spent $140m on global travel in 2016.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I hadn't heard of the Washington Examiner before so I looked it up and Wikipedia says it's owned by this rear end in a top hat

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Grand Fromage posted:

There is a malaria treatment in the TCM pharmacopia, artemisinin, but it's been studied with actual science so it's just regular old medicine now. That's what got the Nobel. It is true that the exact mechanism of action isn't understood. There are a lot of drugs that we know work but can't identify how though, like anesthetics.

Is that the one which is destroyed by boiling and in TCM is prepared by boiling?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yes, it was artemisinin:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4966551/

quote:

One day, Professor Tu was reading some recipes written by Ge Hong ~1700 years ago. In one of his recipes, Ge Hong described how to obtain ‘juice’ from Qinghao (A. annua) plant to treat fever using cold water, instead of the traditional methods of boiling herbs for preparing Chinese medicines. Professor Tu suddenly realized that high temperature could be the cause of instability in antimalarial activity they experienced. The second hint Professor Tu had from Ge Hong’s description was that the plant leaf was likely the part having the most activity because the ‘juice’ could be obtained from the leaves much easier than other parts of the plant. She decided to use ether, replacing ethanol, to extract the active ingredients from the plant leaves and obtained sample #191 that could inhibit rodent and monkey malaria with 100% activity on October 4, 1971.

So it used to be effective, then someone hosed it up by adding boiling to the instructions, presumably because that makes it better for healthy

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://twitter.com/michellevermaak/status/1246507067487268869

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If only they'd been harder to stomach

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53tGLKlsQv8

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnTISLZh_lg&t=2237s
If you've hosed up your browser and that doesn't start partway, it's supposed to start from 37:17

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

McSpanky posted:

^^^ lol getting better US news out of New Zealand

the A in ABC doesn't stand for New Zealand

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Rime posted:

Both of these are official sources from the CCP. Whether or not they deliberately suppressed and continue to suppress the true number of victims in China is, IMO, less relevant than direct evidence that they set out to create an artificial shortage of medical supplies worldwide beginning in January.

Is that what it actually says?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
lol RIme's a proponent of eugenics

Rime posted:

Discarding eugenics last century was a deathblow mistake for the entire species, is what I'm saying.