Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
(jump to votecount)

You woke up when the sunlight hit your eyes. It was late - way later than you hoped, maybe even past noon. Your head was in a vice and your mouth felt like cotton. What happened last night? Oh right, wine. Why do you do this to yourself? Everyone has vices and you love yours but maybe---
Then you felt like a lightning bolt had struck your chest. You cursed, you threw the covers off your bed, and you ran to your boudoir. You grabbed the first presentable thing you could find, coursed your fingers through your hair to straighten it, and were out the door three minutes after you woke up. You walked quickly at first, but soon it became a jog, then a run, and then a sprint. The bakery was barely half a mile away, past the chapel and down the hill where the cooper used to live, but you weren't sure what time it was, and you couldn't risk being late. The grocer was putting away vegetables in front of his store, and you almost tripped over a display of turnips, but you managed to catch your balance. You apologized for bumping into his wares and promised that you'll buy a dozen on your way back as penance, "but I really have to go sorry!"
You rounded a corner and saw the bakery. The woman sitting on a bench in front of it was unmistakable, even at a distance; her bright silver hair shimmered in the sunlight. Good! She's still there. You slowed down and tried to catch your breath, desperately hoping to look composed and collected instead of the shamble you clearly were.
"Well?" the woman asked as you gasped. It was essentially winter now, and your lungs felt like they were both frozen and on fire at the same time, while your diaphragm remained uncomfortably clenched. "I'm sorry Madame," you replied in between pants, "I lost... track of my morning..."
"It's one in the afternoon!"
"See?" as you felt your normal heart rate returning. "Clearly I lost it."
The woman sneered and entered the bakery, motioning you to follow. "Get whatever you like." How kind of her. You ordered a cheese croissant and an Arrentish coffee and sat at a window booth. You wrapped your fingers around your mug as you admired the mangled branches of an elm tree stripped bare with the season. Beneath it were piles of orange and red leaves, and a squirrel rummaging through them, one pile, then another, searching frantically for the thing that will keep him safe this winter. How relatable.
When Madame Prae finished her order - a sandwich and some hot water with lemon - she joined you. "I like your dress Madame," you said, hoping a compliment would start your conversation on a proper footing.
"It's nothing special. I purchased it in Ledola. Have you ever been to Ledola? Of course not," she said before you could speak, "you've probably never left Rest."
You screamed inside your skull. "Actually, Madame, I've traveled a bit. I've been to Porta Regina, and Rossetia, and I spent a summer in Madriu at university."
"But you haven't been to Ledola," Prae said.
You imagined stabbing her with a fork. "No, I haven't."
"It's lovely. A city on stilts in the middle of the sea." She looked idly out the window and sipped her water. "You know I took Robert when he was thirteen. We stayed at our flat near the central square, attending balls and festivals. I had hoped I would find someone," she paused, "suitable for him. But obviously that didn't happen."
Your fork upgraded to a sword. "Who could be more suitable than someone he loves?"
"Someone who isn't a peasant."
Your lip twitched. You commanded a dragon to bite her head off. You let it go. "Lovely day, isn't it?"
"I hate autumn. The days are too short, and the cold flares up my eczema. I prefer summer. It's bright and happy, and I like bright and happy things in my life."
"Summer is good too," you said, trailing off. Your head still ached, but the coffee was helping.
"Miss Salt," Prae said after a few moments. "This spring you are going to marry my only son, and yet I feel like I hardly know you. I can hardly get more than a few words out of you when we talk. You seem constantly distracted, and even now you're looking at me with, what, contempt? What have I done to you to deserve that? I don't want this kind of acrimony in my house, and I find in my business the best way to clear a problem is to talk it out."
You took a deep breath. "Well, what do you want to know about me?"

Welcome to this game of mafia! This is a 9 player closed-setup game. It is a "traditional" game; there will be little that isn't featured on the SA Mafia Wiki or the Mafia flash thingy. However there might still be some surprises thrown your way! Who knows?

The standard mafia rules apply: don't do anything that could be construed as "not in the spirit of mafia." But I'm not a huge stickler for rules, so as long as you don't break the game it'll probably be fine. For instance, feel free to edit your posts to fix minor things like formatting, even if you get caught by the ninja; just be reasonable about it.

However, please remember that I reserve the right to punish someone as I see fit for whatever thing they do.

My unique quirk: please ##unvote before re##voting. I will not count revotes without unvotes unless you are a double-voter.

If you haven't posted for a while, I'll prod you with a PM. If you have a reason why you're not posting, feel free to tell me -- I like to think I'm fairly reasonable. If you aren't posting and it's going to be a chronic problem, I'll ask if you want a replacement; it's up to you, I just want everyone to have a good time, you included.

Every game day will have a deadline. If a majority vote has not been reached by then, the day will end with no execution. Note that if I am ever for some reason unavailable for a deadline I've set, you should assume it to be floating.

To sign up, say whether you want to play or be a replacement, and whether or not you have PMs. If you don't have PMs, include your email. I'm "eccoraven" via g-mail. I only check my email once a week, so if you don't have PMs you should really consider getting it!

If you are living with, or otherwise have direct RL contact with, another player in the game, please tell me when signing up. It won't affect your chances for playing the game, I just like to know these things in advance.

Here we go!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Player List:

1) b-minus1
2) Dick Bastardly
3) got some chores tonight
4) Hal Incandenza
5) IllegallySober
6) Jonathan Fisk
7) merk
8) Monathin
9) wins32767

Night actions:
Night 0: TaoJones, I'm chronically late for things (town-aligned tracker).
Day 1: Jonathan Fisk, I was once engaged to another man (town-aligned vanilla).
Night 1: b-minus1, I'm not religious (town-aligned vanilla).
Day 2: merk, I drink too much (town-aligned watcher).

SCUM VICTORY
GAME OVER

:h: N / A
:d: N / A

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 8, 2020

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'll RNG all the signups. I'll close it by Friday. it'll start Saturday. hooray.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'll be closing signups and RNG'ing the player list when I get home from work today, probably in about 16 hours from this post, idk life is a fog of uncertainty.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm home from work.

Player List:

- b-minus1
- Monathin
- wins32767
- got some chores tonight
- Dick Bastardly
- merk
- Tremendous Taste
- Hal Incandenza
- IllegallySober

if you didn't make the cut it's because I think you're smelly but not so smelly you can't be a replacement.

role PMs go out tonight when I get home from work again.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm home from work. Role PMs have been distributed. Please say something if you haven't received one! If you have, congrats, you don't need to say anything more, I'll assume you're aware and confirmed.

Here we go!

"Well for starters, you can tell me where you were this morning that was so important you couldn't be on time."
You hesitate. You decide to tell the truth. You force your fake smile into a fake grimace.
"I overslept."
"You overslept?" she repeats, contemptuously.
"Yes. I overslept. Normally I'm up around dawn for work, but today's market day, so I decided to sleep in. But I slept for too long. I know how inconvenient that was for you, and I really do apologize."
She purses her lips. "So when you told me your morning 'escaped' you, you were lying."
You scream inside your skull.

:s: TaoJones, I'm chronically late for things (town-aligned tracker), was revealed night 0. :s:

It is now Day 1.

:h: With 9 alive it takes 5 votes to execute.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Tuesday, February 4th, ~11PM EST / ~8PM PST.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

Not Voting (9): b-minus1, Dick Bastardly, got some chores tonight, Hal Incandenza, IllegallySober, Jonathan Fisk, merk, Monathin, wins32767

:h: With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is February 04th, 2020 at 11 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 19 hours from this post.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
sil.vjan

page sniper 360 no scope headshot

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
more like stupid bowl

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

IllegallySober posted:

Also am I missing a Votefinder link somewhere? Ecco’s link at the top of the OP just takes me to the bottom of the OP but I don’t see VF there?

I knew I was forgetting something, thanks. I haven't run a game since 2018 so that's my excuse.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

SOME OF US HAVE JOBS, LATE NIGHT DEADLINE ECCO

I have a job and I go to bed in the AM like a sprightly youth.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
the deadline is ~floating~ as I make dinner and eat dinner, slowly, while watching ABC's The Bachelor.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
After a few minutes you've calmed her down, and your conversation is going much more smoothly. She's asking you emotionally-neutral details about your life - where you're from, what you do, what's that like - and you feel yourself gaining better footing. That is, until there is a brief lull, then:
"Have you ever been in a serious relationship before?"
You're taken aback. You didn't think she'd be so blunt about it. "What do you mean, serious?"
"You're an unmarried woman at thirty, either you've never been in a serious relationship, or you have and it ended. I want to know which is it."
You feel your heart start to beat more quickly. "I've dated before. I've had boyfriends. But never anyone like Robert."
"So they weren't serious relationships."
"No, well, one was very serious." Why did you say that.
"What was he like?" Crap.
"He was," you pause. You steel yourself for what's to come. "He was my boyfriend at university. He was kind to me. He - I was very ugly when I was younger, and he met me when I was growing out of it but I was still," you make a gesture with your hand. "But he thought I was beautiful. He said he saw my real self, the one I kept hiding in shame. He helped me grow into a better, more confident person."
Madame Prae has been nodding along, paying very close attention, but also looking at you, as if she's analyzing your every gesture. She asks, "So why didn't it work out?"
"When we graduated university, we-"
"How long were you together?" she interrupts.
"About five years." Here it comes.
"Five years of just dating? You never proposed to him?"
And there it is. You feel your diaphragm begin to clench. "No. We were engaged. When we graduated university we started to fight, a lot. Little disagreements that we'd blow out of proportion, that sort of thing. I had to get more schooling to be an alchemist, and he worked outside the home to pay our bills that my guild stipend wouldn't cover. Even at the time I knew we were just, like, transferring our stress about work and school onto each other, but we still fought, all the time. They got more intense and more passionate as time went on, and during one of these fights he said that I didn't take him seriously as a partner, because if I did I'd have proposed by now. So I proposed to him then and there. It was really stupid. We broke up a few months later when we finally came to our senses."
You can't tell how she feels about this; she's had no reaction to any detail of your story. She sips her water, and asks "do you still keep in touch?"
"No. He wrote me a letter a few years ago, he's doing well, but I can't ever see him again."
Madame Prae slightly nods, and changes the subject.

:s: Jonathan Fisk, I was once engaged to another man (town-aligned vanilla), revealed. :s:

Night actions.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: The FINAL Day 1 Votecount :c:

:redhammer: Jonathan Fisk (5): Monathin, -Monathin, merk, Monathin, IllegallySober, Hal Incandenza, wins32767
b-minus1 (2): wins32767, Jonathan Fisk, Dick Bastardly, merk, -merk, -wins32767
merk (1): b-minus1, -b-minus1, b-minus1, Hal Incandenza, -b-minus1, b-minus1, -Hal Incandenza
Lynch No One! (1): got some chores tonight
got some chores tonight (0): IllegallySober, -IllegallySober
Dick Bastardly (0): Hal Incandenza, merk, b-minus1, -b-minus1, -Hal Incandenza, -merk
Hal Incandenza (0): wins32767, b-minus1, -wins32767, merk, -b-minus1, -merk, merk, Monathin, -merk, -Monathin

Not Voting (0):

In a change of pace, I will allow Night Time In Thread Chatting, i.e. I don't want to lock the thread. Have at it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
You're explaining to Madame Prae what your parents were like when a server interrupts you with your food - your warm, freshly baked croissant, and her sandwich. You bite into your small pastry before you notice Madame Prae closing her eyes and praying. When she's done she notices you already started.
"You don't pray before meals?"
"Well, no. Nobody I know does."
"Robert does."
Maybe when you're around. "You're right, he does. I've just never really been big into the whole 'religion' thing."
"How do you mean?" she asks in a way that seems genuinely curious but in the corner of your mind you know is a trap.
"Well, I mean, I've been to university. If the goddesses are real, they don't have anything to do with us, not really. They don't cause storms at sea, that's just hot and cold air interacting. Droughts and floods aren't their wrath, just extremes of normal seasonal weather. They're not the source of magick, that comes from the aether that surrounds us, as natural as fire. They won't punish you for ignoring them, and they won't reward you for being extra good. I'm skeptical there even is such a thing as 'good' and evil' - they're human concepts, they don't exist in nature."
You see her narrowing her eyes but you continue. "When good things happen to bad people, or bad things happen to good people, we explain it as 'oh, just Their plan, They work in mysterious ways,' but it's only mysterious if you think they're real. If they're not real then it's just life being unfair, in the way it always has been unfair and always will be unfair."
You see yourself from the outside looking in. You beg yourself to stop, but you can't. "Don't get me wrong, if going down to the river once a week to pray makes you feel better, then feel free, do what makes you happy. But it only makes you feel better because you believe it will. Some of us are good people regardless of what some willowy women in the sea think."
She washes down a bite of her sandwich with a sip of her water. When she's finished, she says: "I'm a vicar."
"Oh. A vicar."
"Yes. A vicar."
"Robert didn't mention that."
"Clearly."

:s: b-minus1, I'm not religious (town-aligned vanilla), revealed. :s:

It is now Day 2.
:h: With 7 alive it takes 4 to execute.
:d: Day 2 deadline: Thursday, February 6th, ~11PM EST. That's in about 24 hours from this post! I can extend it if y'all are struggling but that'll make it a friday deadline which is even worse so, idk, just post. :sun:

If you submitted a night action but did not receive a PM, assume your action was successfully performed and didn't require a response.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
tonight's deadline will be floating, I'll be video chatting with my best friend and then simul-watching the Good Place Series Finale, At Long Last, No Spoilers

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
[b]##unvote ##vote[/b

:d: deadline is extended 24 hours to Friday, 11 PM EST, enjoy this monkey's paw timeline

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Madame Prae is trying to tell you about the complicated trade dynamics between Savomary and Porta Regina when she spills some of her sandwich on her clothes. She flags down a server, criticizes the "shoddy construction of your sandwiches," and asks for the washroom.
Once she is out of earshot, but before the server has finished cleaning the small mess the Madame left, you ask him for a glass of wine, "or, better yet, a shot of brandy. I don't care what kind. Please hurry." Sixteen seconds later one and a half ounces of brandy are in your belly, and you feel content for the first time all day.
The Madame returns with darkened spots of water along her skirt where the food had fallen. She starts to tell you about the similarly low-quality washroom when she sniffs the air near you. She asks if you have been drinking. You lie and say no, but your breath confirms it. "Did you drink... is it, brandy? While I was in the washroom?"
In your panic you continue to lie. "No, honestly, I haven't had anything to drink in, in days. I don't even like alcohol, not really, it's too bitter. No, I'm completely sober right now, I wouldn't even think of it. How could I? You were only gone for a few minutes. No, I couldn't, and I wouldn't. I don't. It's just not something I do. I mean, other people do, and I don't judge them, but it's just not for me."
You both sit in silence. You feel like throwing up. You almost do. You feel like crying. You do, a bit. You speak, because you can't not speak anymore.
"I'm sorry."
"I should say so."
"I'm really nervous. This conversation is, I'm afraid it's going really, well, not, not badly, but not as well as it's supposed to. I really love Robert, I swear, and he's so good to me. But I know you don't think I'm good enough for him, and I really don't drink much, that part's true. But I thought a little brandy would calm my nerves, help me relax, you know? Clear my mind of the, of the, terror, that I've been feeling all morning."
"It's afternoon."
"I'm sorry."
There's another long pause. Your stomach is churning, it's like your entire midsection has twisted into a knot and is only getting tighter. The Madame closes her eyes and takes a long sigh.
"You're not good enough for my son. You're rude, you're dishonest, you're arrogant, you're an atheist, you're impulsive, and you're also a drunk. Yes, I noticed you were hung over earlier. I'm not stupid, though you seem to think I am with how often you lie to me. You think because you went to school you're better than what you are. You think you're smarter than me, that you deserve to marry into a family like mine. You don't. You are, and always will be, peasant trash. The only thing you deserve is pity.
"My son loves you, but goddess forgive what he sees in someone so common. I'm sure he can learn to love someone else."
She grabs her bag and stands up.
"Good day, Miss Salt."

:s: merk, I drink too much (town-aligned watcher), revealed. :s:

:twisted: Monathin, Dick Bastardly, and IllegallySober have won the game.
:rip: The town has lost the game.

Rip.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
The Many Secrets of Miss Sylviane Salt

A Game for 9 players

- 3 mafia
--- 1 Roleblocker
--- 2 Goons

- 6 town
--- 1 Doctor
--- 1 Watcher
--- 4 vanilla town

Player List:

1) Monathin - I've never loved anyone as much as I've loved Robert (mafia-aligned roleblocker)
2) IllegallySober - I'm a good cook (mafia-aligned goon)
3) Dick Bastardly - I love kids (mafia-aligned goon)

4) Hal Incandenza - I can't have children (town-aligned doctor)
5) merk - I drink too much (town-aligned watcher)
6) Jonathan Fisk - I was once engaged to another man (town-aligned vanilla)
7) got some chores tonight - I used to crime all the time (town-aligned vanilla)
8) wins32767 - I'm sexually attracted to the thought of someone being partly a dragon and partly a man and then they gently caress me and also their voice is the same as my father's (town-aligned vanilla)
9) b-minus1 - I'm not religious (town-aligned vanilla)

==============================

Day 1:
Town executes Fisk

Night 1:
Monathin blocks chores
Sober kills b-
Hal protects chores
merk watches b- (SEES SOBER)

Day 2:
Town executes merk (lol)

game over, wow they sucked real bad.

=================================

Role PMs:

Monathin - I've never loved anyone as much as I've loved Robert (mafia-aligned roleblocker)
It's the truth. It's... to be honest it's the weirdest feeling. I'm thirty years old. I thought I had felt every emotion there was to feel, and the rest of my life would be that all over again, but in different ways and to different levels. But Robert is something else. He's something new. He's like a need, but, I don't need something from him. I don't need him to tell me how beautiful and wonderful and funny I am. I don't need him for his body, or because he likes my cooking, or because he's warm when it's cold outside. I need... just him. To be around me, just knowing he's there, and knowing I could reach to him and hold him whenever I want. I thought I was in love before, and I don't know if this feeling *is* love, but, I can't imagine spending the rest of my life without him.
I hope this is love. I hope this is that thing everyone else has been talking about. Because it feels so wonderful.

You are a mafia roleblocker. Your scumteam consists of: Monathin, IllegallySober, and Dick Bastardly . You win when you have unassailable dominance over the game.
Make your own OOT chat.

FAKECLAIM:
Monathin - I initially liked Robert for his money (town-aligned vanilla)
"I mean, I'm not poor. I know you think I'm a peasant but I'm really not, I have a degree, I'm an alchemist at the academy, I make a scholar's wage, I live on my own in a flat in Wayrest, I'm obviously doing fine. And when I met him I liked him for who he was, honestly. But when I found out he was Robert Prae, well, that made me pursue him harder. But I swear when I got to know him better I realized I actually did love him. I know you might not believe me, but it's the truth."
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned. You win when all scum players are eliminated.

IllegallySober - I'm a good cook (mafia-aligned goon)
"I learned it from my mother. When Dad died, she had to - thank you, it was a long time ago. When he died, my mother had to take care of the cooking and cleaning, so me and my brothers helped share the load. She and I would plan out what meals we were going to have that night, and while she was at work, I'd go to the market. We had some staples we liked making - bouillabaisse, couscous, flounder. Every Midwinter we'd splurge on something decadent, like a steak, or a turkey to roast. Now that I'm on my own I can't get too elaborate, but whenever Robert's around I try to make a stew or cake for him. I know what tastes good and how to make it, and Robert loves that about me."
You are a mafia goon. Your scumteam consists of: Monathin, IllegallySober, and Dick Bastardly. You win when you have unassailable dominance over the game.
Make your own OOT chat.

FAKECLAIM:
IllegallySober - I lied when I told you I've been sailing before (town-aligned vanilla)
"Sorry. I panicked. I had been on a boat before. A rowboat. But you asked if I knew how to sail and I wanted to impress you so I said yes, and then you asked me some follow-up questions because I think you thought I was lying, and I was just bull-- I continued to lie, making up stuff that sounded believable, and I don't know if you knew but you probably did but just in case you didn't, well, I did. I lied. I feel awful about it. I'm sorry."
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned. You win when all scum players are eliminated.

Dick Bastardly - I love kids (mafia-aligned goon)
I didn't think I did. I certainly didn't like kids when I was a kid. They were so mean, so selfish, so simple and so small. I developed a kneejerk negative feeling about children that I carried into adulthood. Lately I've been interrogating that, and I've realized that when I'm near children, what I feel isn't disgust or anger, but fear. I was afraid of them! I was afraid they'd size me up and within moments say something biting and hurtful and undeniably true. But as I met more kids, as an adult, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them. For one, they're really dumb. They're, I mean, they're just kids. The few times a child has tried to make me feel bad they say I smell funny or have a stupid face. Normally they're pleasant and silly little creatures. They are adventurous, curious, and love to giggle. They're so gullible, it's adorable. My brothers have five kids between them, and they're just so fun, even when they're being naughty. I really want my own some day.
You are a mafia goon. Your scumteam consists of: Monathin, IllegallySober, and Dick Bastardly. You win when you have unassailable dominance over the game.
Make your own OOT chat.

FAKECLAIM:
Dick Bastardly - I'm uncomfortable around Livireen people (town-aligned vanilla)
When I was at university I spent a summer in Madriu. I had an awful time. It was so hot, my hostel had bugs and mice, and the local school didn't actually have the courses I wanted. But the people were the worst. They were so rude. I'd try to smile and say hi as I walked by, but nobody smiled back. They all just grimaced or rolled their eyes at me. And they didn't like that I was a woman. The professors wouldn't call on me, men at parties would lecture me about something I already knew, and whenever I'd walk into a bar the patrons, all men, would stop talking and stare at me. I hated it. I don't think of myself as a hateful person, but I can't help it. I know they're not... I know they're not literally, horsefuckers, anymore, but. Whenever I meet another Livreen, my first thought is, "great, another horsefucker."

Hal Incandenza - I can't have children (town-aligned doctor)
I mean, I don't know that I can't. But I didn't get my first period until I was fifteen, and even then I only have three or four a year, with really light flow. Mother thought it was because I was too skinny, so she kept feeding me sweets and cakes until I got really fat, but that just made it even worse. It also made my skin really greasy and have even worse acne, so, that was fun, to be a fat greasy pimply teenage loser. I starved myself for years, thinking, maybe if I was pretty I could be normal and everything wrong with me would go away. I'm better now - this was all a long time ago - but, it's still months between periods. When I met Robert, and when I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, I started to panic. This thing was about to affect someone else, and I couldn't marry him without knowing what's wrong with me. I splurged on seeing an expensive and well-regarded healer, hoping she could just cast a spell to make it all better. She didn't. She said conceiving a child would be really hard for me, maybe impossible. She gave me a potion that might help, but she said it would be a year or more before I notice any changes. I don't know. I hate this. I hate my stupid body. I'm terrified Robert will find out and that'll be the end of it. I won't know what to do without him. I need him. But. Augh. Oh no. No no no. He can't know. He just can't.
You are a doctor and you are town-aligned. You win when all scum players are eliminated. You may protect the same target each night. You may not protect yourself.

merk - I drink too much (town-aligned watcher)
I don't like to think I drink too much. But, if I'm being honest, if someone who doesn't drink much looks at my life, they might reasonably think that I drink too much. But people who do drink would know that I actually don't drink much at all. So what if I have a drink more days than not. It's only most days, not every day. And even then, it's only a glass with dinner, maybe two if tomorrow is market day. People who drink too much drink for every meal, and finish their bottles each night. They're sloppy with their labor and their acquaintances are embarrassed to be seen with them. It's not similar to me at all, not even close. I have a normal and healthy life outside of drinking. In fact, drinking helps me by calming my nerves when I'm stressed. And, I accept that maybe last night I happened to drink more than I expected. But this was exceptional. I was worried about this conversation today because I knew if it went poorly that'd be the end of me and Robert. Of course I'd want a drink to unwind. I was just too distracted to notice I was going too fast, but that's an easy mistake to make. Nobody is perfect. But I'm fine. I'm totally fine. Honest.
You are a watcher and you are town-aligned. You win when all scum players are eliminated.

Jonathan Fisk - I was once engaged to another man (town-aligned vanilla)
"I know, I know. I'm sorry. This was a long time ago. It didn't work out, we never got married, we were only engaged for a few weeks before we realized we weren't right for each other. It turned out that he didn't love me, and I didn't love him, we were just young and foolish. We never got married. I'm older now, and more mature. I know what love is. And who I love is Robert. Nobody else, and never anyone else."

got some chores tonight - I used to crime all the time (town-aligned vanilla)
When Dad died I felt angry in ways I had never felt. I was old enough to know that sometimes bad things happen to good people, but young enough to still think that my parents were going to live forever and always be there for me and they could do no wrong. I'm sure my father wasn't a perfect man. Maybe he was quick to anger or maybe he had an unpleasant way of picking at his teeth or maybe he was very clumsy. But he died, to me, a kind of god. The loving patriarch that cooks for his children and keeps the home neat and warm. The paragon of the nurturing and sensitive man that everyone wanted in a father. He returned to the sea before his time, and I expressed my anger in unhealthy ways.
It started when I snatched an apple off a cart at market. I felt so powerful. I felt like I had control over my life again. After a time, I found myself sneaking into places I didn't belong, and leaving a sigil to mark that I had been there. Finally, not often, but more than once or twice, I'd break into a house and take something, something I wanted, something valuable. A bag of coins, a necklace, a ring. Mother found my cache under a floorboard in my room, and when I didn't have a good answer for what it was, she whipped me fiercely. I stopped after that.

wins32767 - I'm sexually attracted to the thought of someone being partly a dragon and partly a man and then they gently caress me and also their voice is the same as my father's (town-aligned vanilla)
...WHY DID I JUST SAY THAT.

b-minus1 - I'm not religious (town-aligned vanilla)
"What? Don't be too surprised, I've been to university remember. The goddesses aren't real, or if they are they don't ever have anything to do with us, not really. They don't create storms, that comes from hot and cold air intermingling. Floods and droughts are not divine wrath, they're just extreme variations in the seasons. The goddesses don't grant us magick, the power comes from the universe itself, as natural as fire. Praying to them won't grant you a wish, and denying them won't earn their scorn. When bad things happen to good people, or good things happen to bad people, we just explain it as "it's Their will, mysterious and unfathomable," but that's just a lazy excuse for life being unfair in the way that life always has been unfair and always will be unfair. Fairness doesn't exist in nature, it's entirely a product of the mind. I just, I mean, if believing the goddesses and going down to the river once a week makes you happy or a better person, then go ahead, I won't stop you. But some of us are good people even if we don't. Right and wrong - also products of the mind. Not from some willowy woman in the sky.
...What? Oh. You're really a vicar? Well. I mean. I. Um."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
NOTES:

- This game was a spiritual sequel to my grandma game from 2013. I mostly wanted an excuse to write a short story.

- The better Arrentia scholar will recognize the Prae family as a family of soap magnates. Robert, being male, is not entitled to inherit the fortune, which is why he is even permitted to consider marrying a peasant.

- Voting for a claimed watcher out of fear of it being a senseless scum gambit. A bold move that paid off like you'd expect it would. In the future, maybe, don't do that, Halbert.

- A tough game that would have been less tough had you voted for the caught scum rather than hemming and hawing about it for days.

Hope everyone had fun (I know you didn't, thanks for lurking friends and colleagues, reminds me why I don't make games anymore).

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
the 24 hour deadline was because the activity was low and a long weekend deadline would kill the game for sure. plus I thought merk would claim and you'd all quickly vote IS, womp womp

I don't mind people thinking this game isn't balanced - it's probably not! Sylviane needs to get her poo poo together, she's kind of a mess, convincing the Madame would have been doable, but tough.