Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

An Eccogame?!? Holy poo poo yes I’m in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Not gonna lie: you’re the only person I’d have fanboyed a signup for like this :D

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Eat The Rich posted:

Is this full? I'd like to join.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Promise not to post your role PM?

Jeeeeeeeeeez, be nice Hal :roflolmao:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

EccoRaven posted:

I'll RNG all the signups. I'll close it by Friday. it'll start Saturday. hooray.

Just know I’m going to be very sad if I get RNG’d out of this :cry:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hal Incandenza posted:

Same! But if I’m in and wins isn’t I want him to have my spot

I’ll also make this pledge, with the slight modification that I’d move to substitute status and continue to read along :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

wins32767 posted:

I mean, I'm touched but I have no idea who you are. And frankly I think trying to butter me up is pretty scummy.

I’ve been around long enough to have seen some games you played but I don’t think we’ve played together.

That said, I’m totally looking scummy right now and you should vote me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

PMush Perfect posted:

We should play a mini game while we wait for the real game. LYLO SIMULATOR.

Three people volunteer, I'll send one of you a PM telling you that you're scum.

in

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dick Bastardly posted:

Slather me in butter

:yikes:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yay! My great mind says it’s Sal but I don’t want to put him at -1 yet

My great mind says first one to post is the one who got the PM.

##vote Hal

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

##unvote

We’ll see what Sal says though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

wins32767 posted:

So I've been out of the loop for so long, has anyone built a mobile app with forums mafia in mind? Or any sort of improvements beyond votefinder?

The regular Awful App works great for me on iOS. I know there’s an Android one as well. I do 99% of my browsing/mafia playing through that.

Thread with more info about the iOS app is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837546

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

I don't have a PM so I the fact you think I have a PM makes me suss on you IS!

Read what I posted again.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hal Incandenza posted:

I read the part where you put ME at -1 for like 10 seconds, hmmmm

I sure did. Then after I unvoted, nobody posted for the next twelve hours.

Hmmmmmm.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Sal, if you got scum, it’s time to self-vote.

Otherwise, I’m 80% sure it’s Hal.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hal Incandenza posted:

Oh wait you’d probably vote Sal then unless you are trolling us

Correct, if I were scum I would have voted Sal and already ended it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Sal, since you know your own alignment and you both now know I’m town, this should be pretty clear.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hal Incandenza posted:

Lol ok so vote and decide it, you know what Sal will do

The only thing he’s said so far was that he was suspicious of me, so he might very well vote me instead and put all of us at 1 vote each. :lol:

But sure. ##vote Hal

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

1 - 50 - Hal
51 - 100 - Sober

##vote Sober

Jesus Christ Sal

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hello, friends.

Monathin posted:

It is a lovely day for a game of mafia.

Counterpoint: it is the Super Bowl so I will probably not be around much this day but will be around after that!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

EccoRaven posted:

I'm home from work. Role PMs have been distributed. Please say something if you haven't received one! If you have, congrats, you don't need to say anything more, I'll assume you're aware and confirmed.

Oh, come on, it isn’t an Eccogame if everyone doesn’t have to post this, right??

I Understand That If I Do Not Unvote The Mod Will Not Count A Revote Unless I Am A Doublevoter.

There, I feel so much better.

Hey, there’s scum #1! ##vote chores

merk posted:

B- usually makes bad votes.

:discourse:

EccoRaven posted:

more like stupid bowl

:fireman:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

b-minus1 posted:

^^ :raise: is that a real vote? I thought we were past jokephase

I’d call it semi-serious. In a game this small anyone proposing no-dunk (joking or not) is going to raise an eyebrow from me. We don’t have time to no-dunk.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

That said, there’s barely a page of posts since the game started, if that, so I don’t think there’s enough material yet for super serious cases.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Jonathan Fisk posted:

The nice thing about the super bowl is that people will forget about my team’s collapse

Probably to a lesser extent sober’s team’s collapse as well

That was an unnecessary shot :argh:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dick Bastardly posted:

J Fisk; are you scum and if so, why?

:crossarms:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

got some chores tonight posted:

no lynch d1 is big brain town move, just trust me

Gonna need to see more logic behind that one than “trust me.”

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

So Fisk and Chores are scum together, got it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

merk posted:

Huh. This is weird. ##vote DB

Can you explain what about this you find weird (apart from using “towns” instead of “townies” like I’d probably expect?)

I’m in agreement with the sentiment which is basically what I said to chores earlier.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I’m in and out of meetings most of the day today but will be checking in when possible. I’m still happy with my vote on chores for now but am open to reviewing other cases- I’ve skimmed but want to reread the last 20 or so posts that I haven’t digested fully yet.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Monathin posted:

I'm laying down right now but I'll be up with plenty of time before deadline. Obviously I will switch to either of my main picks as needed and also consider other cases should they crop up when I wake up.

wow jinx much??

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

wins32767 posted:

Nearly every one of the last 20 posts is a one liner. What haven't you digested?

20 was a rough number, I mainly wanted to look more into these posts I skimmed this morning:

Monathin posted:

Ok this is gonna be a little truncated (I have class in an hour and some light reading to finish) but here's some quick casework to satisfy Merk:

You already pointed out Hal's weird interaction later on but this was right at the start. While, yes, there's a thin veneer of jokephase over the comment it still reads as weirdly forced. If Hal wanted to be jokey he coulda just voted one of myself or Merk out and out, instead it reads as this light shade Hal can either back off of 'as a joke' or revisit more seriously later to try and build a case.

re: wins vs binus, binus throws out a vote on Hal after wins cases Hal, wins immediately turns on binus to call him scummy. Don't really think anyone's scum in that interaction (and I usually have a good meta read on binus, imho), so I'm not sure if there's anything more there I can say that hasn't already been said.

I emptyquoted the 'bruh' chores said in response to this, but Fisk kind of just throws this out here, doesn't really back it up, and then follows up with light shade on binus countervote on wins. I think Fisk actually looks the shadiest here (though I'm biased and usually assume Fisk is scum until proven otherwise) because it's kind of in the same vein as the thing you threw shade on Hal for: an empty +1. Fisk has a few other posts in thread that also make me feel like they're devoid of content. Which, I'm aware, is pot calling the kettle black given I haven't really started digging into the game until just now, but it feels weirder coming from Fisk, imo.

Regarding Chores and the possibility of NL I think I fall on the side of "town should always try and axe someone because it is their only way of removing scum". I don't think Chores is scummy for it though.

Scum picks right now: Hal, Fisk
Town picks: binus, wins, chores

Hal Incandenza posted:

I don't have a particularly strong read anywhere yet, merk definitely a little suss for reasons I mentioned to me but he also stated earlier that he was going to drive content. Mona case on me and fisk felt like working backwards in both cases, so also not a good look, but those two are also the only two who have done much casing other than a bit from you so it feels wrong to list both them.

of everyone else, DB maybe, he's jumped in a lot to ask other people who they think are scum and make side comments but hasn't offered anything of substance. IS I think has been really strong thus far and I have a good town read on them. Null on almost everyone else at this point.

I'll ##vote DB for the time being but now I really have put suspicion on merk and mona that I may revisit more seriously later

Re: the Mona case on Hal, it seemed very clear to me that Hal’s first post naming merk and Mona was a joke given neither had posted yet. I’m not quite sure why Mona didn’t pick up on that.

I would be interested to hear more from Mona about which other posts from Fisk pinged them. I’ve admittedly not gone back to look myself as I’m on mobile between meetings, so apologies in advance if it’s blindingly obvious.

Re: Hal’s post, I saw he flagged DB as similarly not offering anything of substance and I also want to go back and look at that when I have time (unless Hal has time to elaborate first).

I probably won’t be back in thread much for the next 2 hours or so but will hopefully be around after that. Reminder that Ecco-deadlines generally aren’t to-the-minute so we have have a little extra time, but I’d still rather have consensus early if we can.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

Re: Hal’s post, I saw he flagged DB as similarly not offering anything of substance and I also want to go back and look at that when I have time (unless Hal has time to elaborate first).

Went back to look at this- Dick hasn’t provided a lot but he’s provided more than chores and frankly more than Fisk, too.

I still like the chores vote but would happily switch to Fisk as well given that neither has provided much of anything for town to go off of.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I didn’t re-quote Mona or myself but I did go back and look at Fisk and as mentioned don’t see much there. I don’t have the meta-read Mona seems to in terms of “feels weirder coming from Fisk” but neither of Fisk or Chores seem invested in the game or in hunting scum to any appreciable degree.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Monathin posted:

Good evening.

I think people are misunderstanding why that posts pinged me.

Yes, it was a 'joke'. But it was a joke that Hal could have easily revisited in order to shape into some sort of case if he decided he needed to push for me or merk today. It feels more like leaving something out there that he could then go back to, in order to provide some false consistency. It might be a joke, yes, but it was something that gives Hal a free safety net to go "well, actually-" which is inherently scummy. Did he do that? No, because it turned out to not be needed based on how d1 shook out, but the fact that he put it out there like that as something he could revisit sticks out to me as odd.

I guess my question in response to you would be this: if he did indeed go back to it later to try to push a case, would you and/or others (like myself) not have immediately pointed out that the post was made before either of you posted?

I feel like that would have come out pretty quickly and would have been just as scummy, if not more so, as what you’re saying. I DO see the potential for it, but given the lack of circling back to it and given the (relative) engagement with D1 Hal’s had, are there other reasons I should be looking at to think Hal is scum, or mainly this?

Also, can I get your thoughts on Chores? I feel like I’m the only one who sees the NL push in a small game as exceptionally scummy and I’d like a second opinion from you (or others, too).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Monathin posted:

It was obviously meant to be concurrent with merk's case about Hal's awkwardness during d1. I'd like to point out that Hal's participation in the game has been largely defensive in nature without any real scumhunting. Their main casework is that merk and I fabricated cases on them or worked backwards? I guess if you don't see merk's case as legitimate there's little reason to think I have anything going on here, too.

I don't have a good read on chores. Advocating a d1 NL is probably not a pro-town move but I think that leans more towards differences in Mafia theory than it does on actual scummy behavior on Chores. Hard to say.

Okay, fair enough. I’ll ponder on what you said re: Hal for a bit.

I’ll also go re-read DB and B- as they seem to be the choices today (or NL, I suppose, but out of principle I REALLY don’t want to let that happen).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

DB:

Reread Dick and don’t see a ton that jumps out at me other than the weird wording on “towns” I think I mentioned earlier.

DB has three votes on him. One is Hal who said this:

Hal Incandenza posted:

of everyone else, DB maybe, he's jumped in a lot to ask other people who they think are scum and make side comments but hasn't offered anything of substance.

Another is Merk who was the “this sounds weird” comment on “towns.” The third is B- who just moved. Was there more of a case I was missing?

Going to look at B- next but driving for the next few minutes.

Preview edit: and I’ll look at Merk then too since they just picked up votes

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Also am I missing a Votefinder link somewhere? Ecco’s link at the top of the OP just takes me to the bottom of the OP but I don’t see VF there?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Just got to where I was going. I’m having dinner with friends so will be distracted from now till likely deadline or shortly after.

I skimmed B- quickly and they seem to be closer to may wavelength than not on most things. I’d vote here to avoid NL but don’t feel great about it.

merk posted:

Ok. ##unvote; ##vote b-

merk posted:

I don't think it's you, but if it's you vs me, it's not gonna be me.

merk posted:

##unvote; ##vote Hal

I don’t like this series of posts from merk but I guess it’s more likely self-preservation than not.

I don’t want to vote without seeing status and I can’t load VF. Can someone post it please?

Preview edit:

EccoRaven posted:

I knew I was forgetting something, thanks. I haven't run a game since 2018 so that's my excuse.

No problem :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Monathin posted:

:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

b-minus1 (3): wins32767, Jonathan Fisk, Dick Bastardly, merk, -merk
merk (2): b-minus1, -b-minus1, b-minus1, Hal Incandenza, -b-minus1, b-minus1
Jonathan Fisk (2): Monathin, -Monathin, merk, Monathin
got some chores tonight (1): IllegallySober
Lynch No One! (1): got some chores tonight
Dick Bastardly (0): Hal Incandenza, merk, b-minus1, -b-minus1, -Hal Incandenza, -merk
Hal Incandenza (0): wins32767, b-minus1, -wins32767, merk, -b-minus1, -merk, merk, Monathin, -merk, -Monathin

Not Voting (0):

:h: With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is February 04th, 2020 at 11 p.m. EST -- that's in about 54 minutes from this post.

:D

Okay, I think I feel best about this at the moment.

##unvote

##vote Fisk

Will try to check in ASAP but can’t promise it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Good morning. I have a day filled with mandatory work training today so I will be in and out (but hopefully around enough).

merk posted:

IS scum because his participation looks like someone who wants to be reactive to the thread rather than original in scum hunting. He wants to see how chips are falling and put his bets where it gives him the least culpability in the event of lynch. If you read him over, there isn't any original targeting (besides the initial chores vote) or any content on people that you'd read at and look to IS in the event that player flips town.

For example, he wants to make sure we don't take his chores vote too seriously - and it's based on general mafia theory instead of actual scum hunting. He sat on this vote for most of the day:

His analysis for who to vote after chores is basically based on who has contributed to the thread or not:

This isn't a vote that gives IS any culpability when Fisk flips town, but it looks like he's being helpful.

##vote IS

I don’t mind being cased, but this is at best a misinterpretation of my D1, and at worst a sloppy attempt to throw shade.

I was pretty clear throughout D1 that chores was my preferred vote based on pushing the idea of no-dunk right out of the gate. That was my first vote and I stayed on it throughout most of the day. I did say I’d be open to considering other cases, and in fact mentioned Fisk at that point as well:

IllegallySober posted:

Went back to look at this- Dick hasn’t provided a lot but he’s provided more than chores and frankly more than Fisk, too.

I still like the chores vote but would happily switch to Fisk as well given that neither has provided much of anything for town to go off of.

IllegallySober posted:

I didn’t re-quote Mona or myself but I did go back and look at Fisk and as mentioned don’t see much there. I don’t have the meta-read Mona seems to in terms of “feels weirder coming from Fisk” but neither of Fisk or Chores seem invested in the game or in hunting scum to any appreciable degree.

When it became clear I was the only one on chores as we neared deadline, I opened up and looked at other cases. Merk, you can label my feelings about chores as “mafia theory instead of scum hunting” if you like, but the facts are I latched onto behavior that I thought was scummy- that being pushing the idea of NL in a 9-player game.

I also don’t really understand your point regarding my vote on Fisk. If anything, I’d figure you would have pushed the idea that I’d softly set up a Fisk vote earlier in the day, given the quote of mine above I pulled out (which isn’t the case, but if you were trying to create a case on me, that’s the angle I’d figure you’d take).

Here’s what I posted right before I voted Fisk:

IllegallySober posted:

Just got to where I was going. I’m having dinner with friends so will be distracted from now till likely deadline or shortly after.

I skimmed B- quickly and they seem to be closer to may wavelength than not on most things. I’d vote here to avoid NL but don’t feel great about it.

I don’t like this series of posts from merk but I guess it’s more likely self-preservation than not.

I don’t want to vote without seeing status and I can’t load VF. Can someone post it please?

Preview edit:

No problem :)

IllegallySober posted:

Okay, I think I feel best about this at the moment.

##unvote

##vote Fisk

Will try to check in ASAP but can’t promise it.

If you go to that last post, I quoted the vote count. Top 3 vote leaders at that point were B-minus, merk, and Fisk. I’d just explained I felt good about B and okay about merk and I’d said earlier I’d be fine with voting Fisk, so that’s why I voted there. Obviously Fisk flipped town so I was incorrect, but I did provide justification. I didn’t have a ton of time to restate why in that post as I was admittedly distracted and posting from a restaurant.

I’m not sure yet if this is a fabricated case by merk on me or just not understanding context at all. I’ll have to go back and reread merk after I finish my next training class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

(Phone-posting so this is going to be several shorter posts likely instead of one big one)

I reread merk and there’s a distinct shift in their tone this game day with zeroing in on me vs. yesterday where merk was far more scattershot.

merk posted:

If you're reading self preservation, I think you don't get where I'm at this game. I'm more trying to figure out who I think is scum. I'm not even persuading yet which is usually what I spend the most time doing.

I don’t know whether this post was made D1 foreshadowing the intent to tunnel in on me today or not, but it’s interesting in light of how things have gone today particularly with such a short D2 planned.

I’ve got a slight scum lean on merk right now but am reading back to see if there’s better options. I think I’d still sooner vote chores’ lack of participation (and whatever these weird non-vote votes are this game day) but I’ll see. I also want to reread the players who reacted to the case on me.