Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm gonna sit on it for a bit, I've only put 15 minutes into it but the AI seemed to get stuck fairly easily which didn't bode well. Hopefully this can get patched quickly and I'll check back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Do weapons have stats?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah we're kind of in this inbetween spot between early access and full release, in that unless we went by the terms we were offered, we were basically sunk after already putting years of work into something we do believe is fun (when it's not getting in the way of itself lol), is worth investing time into, and is something we want to support basically forever as long as we can keep getting away with it. We don't have like a "Game 2" or anything lined up, we're committed to Farworld.

Peachfart posted:

From everything I'm seeing on Steam, the game launched with 1.03 but it is version 1.05 that has all the fixes. I am cautiously optimistic that things will get much better after that patch comes out. Will sit on it until then.

Yeah we've also got more stuff planned for the very immediately future after that too, we've identified a lot of the problems with colonist health and priorities that will be out soon as well. I know I posted give me your money a lot in the OP (AND I STAND BY IT) but no one here's gonna get mad if anyone wants to hold off for more stability lol.

Elendil004 posted:

Do weapons have stats?

they do! stuff like recoil, fire patterns, NPC damage, damage to terrain, etc. are different across the guns and melee implements

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Babe Magnet posted:

they do! stuff like recoil, fire patterns, NPC damage, damage to terrain, etc. are different across the guns and melee implements

Does that show up anywhere? I know when I look at armor it shows stats but weapons just show value.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Elendil004 posted:

Does that show up anywhere? I know when I look at armor it shows stats but weapons just show value.

I thought it might be cool to keep them unseen and vague, but this is a request we're getting often so we'll probably just go ahead and add them to a tooltip.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Played around a bit more and I like it, some weirdness going on. I was out wandering around and got a notification that somebody was approaching my base, I started to head back and along the way found a bunch of loot on the ground from what I think may have been another survivor heading to my base that was killed. Hoping that doesn't mean I'm missing a new denizen.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the weapon stats being hidden thing might be a remnant of some more hardcore survival stuff we moved past at some point, all of that data is easily accessible on our end, we just need a UI to explain it, and we've got a big UI thing coming along soon so we'll talk to the team about throwing a readout in there somewhere for people.

Popete posted:

Played around a bit more and I like it, some weirdness going on. I was out wandering around and got a notification that somebody was approaching my base, I started to head back and along the way found a bunch of loot on the ground from what I think may have been another survivor heading to my base that was killed. Hoping that doesn't mean I'm missing a new denizen.

it sounds like you might have come across a rando that got murdered by the wildlife or something. I think it'll give you a specific name if a colonist gets murdered.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I can tell I’m going to like this game, for sure, but the onset feels rough. I had a blizzard within like, 20 minutes of playing and didn’t really have anything set up, so most of my time was spent trying to figure out how to keep Buddy alive.

Which is probably somewhat important, but also, initially, I kind of want to have a chill time and explore a bit and have a chance to set things up before getting hellmurdered by weather and fauna.

Also the game doesn’t really explain setting up for said blizzard so I’m suddenly scrambling to find a heat source, which the campfire didn’t seem to provide so I’m just trying to heal buddy through a Blizzard. Perhaps the initial tutorial could be expanded a smidge.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the game goes from tutorial to, running around frantically fighting off giant squirrels and bats well freezing to death really fast. I hear that getting attacked by raiders also happens pretty quickly as well but I haven't encountered it yet myself.

Pro tip your starting crashed escape pod has a bunch of useful supplies and a gun in it, I found that out when I accidentally disassembled it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Saxophone posted:

Also the game doesn’t really explain setting up for said blizzard so I’m suddenly scrambling to find a heat source, which the campfire didn’t seem to provide so I’m just trying to heal buddy through a Blizzard. Perhaps the initial tutorial could be expanded a smidge.

Just getting your colonists in an enclosed area is generally a good start; torches provide heat near them as well.

Question: if I completely entomb my colonists in an underground biosphere, will raiders still give them poo poo? Will they just dig down to them? Is there an eventual point where they'll just kind of ignore my colony? I guess I could just play on Peaceful or w/e at that point...

Also, if you're taking suggestions: cribbing some stuff from Rimworld when it comes to job priority/workshop bills might be a good idea, particularly numbered job priorities and a workshop bill that says "ensure we have X in stock/make more X when we run out"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Are there bigger ships or space stations later on? I honestly thought this was another year or two out so I hadn't been following too closely. I got half the dropship supplies ready but I'm wondering if there are more orbital-home sized stuff later

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Danaru posted:

Are there bigger ships or space stations later on? I honestly thought this was another year or two out so I hadn't been following too closely. I got half the dropship supplies ready but I'm wondering if there are more orbital-home sized stuff later

Related to this: how many planets/moons/stations/whatever are there? Friend and I found 4 FTL-related components from the 2nd planet and researched the 2 FTL options that popped up, but there doesn't seem to be anything to build or do with them.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_yGJkQvPms

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If you click 'Join our Discord' from the main menu, the invite has expired.
Also, I saw that version 1.05 was out on Steam and was going to try it, but Gamepass is still on 1.00(or at least it says so in game).

Edit: Okay, started a new game and things are going way better. I think maybe Gamepass did get a patch but just didn't show in game, the patch version in game is 1.0 and in Gamepass's menu it is 1.06(?). Also I noticed that oddly, torches give massive amounts of heat compared to campfires. So I just use torches to light everything and freezing is much less of an issue. Not to mention going underground basically stops freezing. Also, there seems to be an effect like Terraria where when you have multiple colonists in an area, it suppresses spawns. Lastly, I rebound Build to 'F', which while not perfect, feels so much better.

I can tell I am going to love this game(combined I have over 1000 hours in Terraria and Rimworld), keep up the good work.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 2, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Raider got into my base well I was away, we managed to kill them all off but I died during the raid and upon respawning had nothing on me. It doesn't appear there is a way to recover all your inventory upon death, as I'm missing a bunch of items. Also the entire stockpile inventory is missing, I looted all the raiders but they didn't have all our stuff. That's a bummer, basically like starting over from a resource standpoint.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I have like 400 Baked Potatoes and unless I walk up to each colonist and give them a stack, they just whine about being hungry.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thanks for the feedback guys, the beginning of the game being too intense (as in, right out of the tutorials into being raided) is something we're getting from all angles so I'm going to talk to our code team to see if we can slow it down a little (I mean, we can, but we're putting out other fires right now lol)

The first of quick series of patches is out, and we're hoping to have the next set out pretty quickly as well. We've identified the source of some of the issue like the weird customization loss after loading a previous save and dying, as well as stitching up some weirdness with chunks failing to load. We're also making adjustment to make fighting climate easier, I actually think some of that may be in the recent patch? if not it'll be in the next one.

Sorry for the roughness, and thanks for the support!

Peachfart posted:

I have like 400 Baked Potatoes and unless I walk up to each colonist and give them a stack, they just whine about being hungry.

the "colonists are hungry" message has a real low threshold for displaying apparently, they're not actually all that hungry we've found. It's one of the things we're adjusting lol

Peachfart posted:

If you click 'Join our Discord' from the main menu, the invite has expired.
Also, I saw that version 1.05 was out on Steam and was going to try it, but Gamepass is still on 1.00(or at least it says so in game).

I think the porting team we were assigned are handling the game pass version because of how it's gotta sync to xbox, but it should be on the same version, weird. Actually, it should be on 1.03, the version everything else launched with. I'll bring this up with the team.

As for the discord link I'll look into getting a permanent one, but in the meantime I'll update that.

Popete posted:

Raider got into my base well I was away, we managed to kill them all off but I died during the raid and upon respawning had nothing on me. It doesn't appear there is a way to recover all your inventory upon death, as I'm missing a bunch of items. Also the entire stockpile inventory is missing, I looted all the raiders but they didn't have all our stuff. That's a bummer, basically like starting over from a resource standpoint.

So I'm not sure if it's in this latest patch or if it's in the next one, but stuff like losing your hair and skin customizations happens when you die after loading a save. I'm not versed enough in code to tell you exactly how it happens but I can tell you that our guys have identified the issue and hopefully have something for it soon.

Losing the stockpile though, that's a new one. Strange, I'll see if I can replicate it.

death cob for cutie posted:

Question: if I completely entomb my colonists in an underground biosphere, will raiders still give them poo poo? Will they just dig down to them? Is there an eventual point where they'll just kind of ignore my colony? I guess I could just play on Peaceful or w/e at that point...

Also, if you're taking suggestions: cribbing some stuff from Rimworld when it comes to job priority/workshop bills might be a good idea, particularly numbered job priorities and a workshop bill that says "ensure we have X in stock/make more X when we run out"

Answer: For the most part yeah, though if you've got like pockets where nothing that keeps spawns away, like big storage rooms, they may get in that way.

The rimworld "job priority" thing is like our number one request we're getting from the community, on twitter, reddit, the discord, everywhere lol. It's coming.

Danaru posted:

Not at the moment but the Big Ship/Station is one of the "sooner rather than later" things we want to get in once we've put out as many fires as we can.

caedwalla posted:

Related to this: how many planets/moons/stations/whatever are there? Friend and I found 4 FTL-related components from the 2nd planet and researched the 2 FTL options that popped up, but there doesn't seem to be anything to build or do with them.

just two, the main planet and the desert planet, once we've got a handle on making the game less broken we're putting the finishing touches on more stuff to use those on so keep 'em lol

Saxophone posted:

Opinion solicitation for anyone who's digging this far through my post: should we disable the blizzard in the starting tundra biome? the grassy one. It would be limited to the snow one so you'd see it less, but it is kind of intense to deal with if you get unlucky and it happens early.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just picked this up because I desperately want a better Starbound. Well, that or for some more mods to get ported to the latest Terraria patch version. I'll be sure to write some impressions when I get a chance.

Babe Magnet posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys, the beginning of the game being too intense (as in, right out of the tutorials into being raided) is something we're getting from all angles so I'm going to talk to our code team to see if we can slow it down a little (I mean, we can, but we're putting out other fires right now lol)

Sounds like y'all are a little too familiar with the game. Never underestimate how badly people suck at videogames :v:

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

Opinion solicitation for anyone who's digging this far through my post: should we disable the blizzard in the starting tundra biome? the grassy one. It would be limited to the snow one so you'd see it less, but it is kind of intense to deal with if you get unlucky and it happens early.

If it can be telegraphed a bit better I'd keep it. It's a good reason to have to build a shelter with light and heat for all your colonists and it's pretty.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah, the blizzard itself is less of a problem, it’s more that it happens a little quicker than you have time to prepare for if you’ve never played the game and it’s not something dealt with in the tutorial so you won’t really know to set up for it unless you’ve died to it or you’ve played the game enough times that you know it’s coming.

This is something that I feel like happens in a lot of these types of games. They adjust things on internal/closed testing, but most of those folks are pros, so when it gets released to the public, it’s rough/too hard. 7D2D comes to mind.

So yeah. Keep blizzard, telegraph it’s coming, have something in the initial tutorial on how to deal with it. Also maybe make campfires work to warm you up at a certain threshold of coldness, because I have absolutely frozen to death standing on top of a campfire indoors.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Saxophone posted:

So yeah. Keep blizzard, telegraph it’s coming, have something in the initial tutorial on how to deal with it. Also maybe make campfires work to warm you up at a certain threshold of coldness, because I have absolutely frozen to death standing on top of a campfire indoors.

I think we still have code somewhere of a countdown that warned you when the blizzard was coming. It dates back from when our publisher was trying really hard to make the game a Rust clone (ask us about that at some point in the future). They decided that we should encourage players to make their bases deep underground and discourage surface bases by having some kind of periodical event that made the surface uninhahibitable. We decided to make some kind of blizzard event (originally radiation). Surprise, almost everyone hated it and when the publisher finally let go of the Rust thing, we kept the blizzards in and toned down their intensity so we didn't have to waste the month or so it took to code in the event and effects.

Peachfart posted:

We've actually disabled "colonists are hungry" notifs if there's food in stockpiles since it's redundant and frustrating.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like the blizzard event, it looks neat and having some weather dynamics is neat. I think once you have a heated base it's really not a big deal, the main problem with it is the AI will randomly wander or get stuck outside trying to fight a bat or whatever and start to freeze.

Here's another piece of feedback, I find the bats annoying. They hover above you and only swoop down briefly to attack and they are difficult to hit with a melee weapon, they seem to take way too many melee hits to kill so at night you end up spending what seems like way too much time fighting bats. I'd suggest lowering their health, they aren't so much a challenge as an annoyance. I know you can shoot them but I don't like wasting ammo on them.

Overall the more I've put into the game I am enjoying it, so please keep at it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah I’m always down with mechanics that make me cozy my base. But also yeah, bats are annoying at most.

I also had a colonist just absolutely lose her poo poo and infinitely attack a slug that was immortal I guess? It never died and eventually she did because literally no amount of anything would keep her from immediately running back to trying to kill the slug. RIP Denise. You were the worst.

Plus then the whole colony was mortified that they watched Denise die after forsaking sleep, food, tasks, everything because this slug had. To. Die.

I can already tell this game has the potential to do awesome and hilarious storytelling.

One thing you can do: lock the doors on the base. If the colonists can’t get out, they won’t freeze to death trying to fight slugs.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

First observation - please make it so doors automatically open/close when walking through them. First mod I install every time I go back to Terraria and Stardew Valley, screw clicking and button presses.

Optional feature for folks who are extremely hardcore about making bases pretty - some kinda extra button or toggle for leaving them permanently open, since they can already be locked. It's possible to do wild cosmetic poo poo by messing around with placeables in ways they aren't supposed to be used :v:

Otherwise getting all the right vibes for a 2d exploration/crafting game. Good poo poo

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 2, 2023

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While the tutorial town blizzard itself is kinda annoying, it is made worse by the surrounding "It is only realistic if it makes you need MORE button presses, and MORE running back to babysit! not less!" stuff. You can't even think of good reasons for why they don't rebuild fires without realizing the fact they go out at all does not add anything.

"Well gosh, what if the colonists use up all of my wood to not freeze to death like idiots!... The same colonists I can order to plant and harvest trees, build torches in bulk, or research sewing machines... why am I making excuses for why it would be bad for fires to not burn out beyond 'uh.... immersion?' "

Even before all the interruptions before you can finish researching better clothing and scrounge enough to make a clothing station because of bats and bandits. Between running back to the research station to restart research. "Did I not set a new one?... no the bar is 1/4 filled they just stopped giving a gently caress I guess."

So it does feel like you probably had most of your early feedback from people who think immersive survival realism is only the inconvenient parts.

Or simply well meaning gamers with bad context for balance over brand loyalty. Like the nice Discord fellow who suggested automated gun turrets. Actually admitting they don't play on survival when faced with how impossible it is to protect your colony with a machinegun bunker so everybody doesn't die while you are digging up your very first pieces of ore.

Which honestly was a breath of fresh air compared to more common doubling down on "Just play faster idiot, why don't you have the entire game memorized? Reporting save corrupting bugs is trolling!" or the more insane bullshit getting me burnt out on bug reporting, like watching my bug reports result in having the UI elements needed to prove I am not just lying about bugs stripped out of the game. Survival game fans able to realize their advice won't work? That is a miracle right there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have never joined a video games Discord because it always sounds like it's just a bunch of people arguing with each other over whose idea is best, a lot of drama.

As far as torches, I assume the lanterns last longer? Perhaps there is a tech you can research that doesn't require refueling? I haven't gotten that far and honestly a few torches is enough to keep my base warm, they give off a lot of heat. I believe filling in the background walls also helps to keep the heat in.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m certain that needing to supply fuel to torches/campfires would create a lot for the game to keep track of, but at the same time, if it’s as trivial as supplying a piece of wood… why have them burn out at all? I get wanting to have reasons to consume supplies but they take an absolutely trivial amount of a resource that can grow anywhere, so at that point… yeah.

I mean, you could even make ‘infinitely burning torches’ a research item or something if you really feel the need to have them be consumable, but if they’re gonna be like that, make them a permanent fixture that colonists will resupply if it burns out so I’m not running back to the base after a mining expedition realizing I now have to retorch my base.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Functionally the lanterns are almost as cheap as torches once you start churning out metal and coal. I kind of like that torches and campfires burn out for versimilitude and are basically cheap emergency/available from spawn heat & light sources.

Jorge Bell fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 3, 2023

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My colonists got downed by some unkillable aliens that wandered so I tried to save and load to see if they'd despawn so my colonists wouldn't spend 10 minutes whacking them with an axe.

I reloaded, fell through the floor, and got stuck in the background layer of the stone below.

What I played up until my save got ruined though I enjoyed, so hopefully with some bug fixing and polishing the game will be fun to build a colony in.

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Enjoying this so far. Tried it on gamepass and it hooked me so i went ahead and bought it on steam cuz honestly im not really using gamepass.

I haven't moved past the mining pick but is there ever an option for Colonists to mine out background walls? i figured there would be a toggle on the task menu but im not seeing one.

Honestly this combination of builder and colony sim is kind of killer. I like watching my colonists run around and do mindless tasks.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

treepunk as hell posted:

Enjoying this so far. Tried it on gamepass and it hooked me so i went ahead and bought it on steam cuz honestly im not really using gamepass.

I haven't moved past the mining pick but is there ever an option for Colonists to mine out background walls? i figured there would be a toggle on the task menu but im not seeing one.

Honestly this combination of builder and colony sim is kind of killer. I like watching my colonists run around and do mindless tasks.

Glad you're enjoying it! BG mining is a feature that's coming soon, just focusing on emergency bugfixes before adding any new stuff.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I reloaded, fell through the floor, and got stuck in the background layer of the stone below.

Hugest apologies for this bug, it's now known and we're working as fast as we can to fast track a fix to address it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah there's something up with stability when you reload a saved game, a lot of our issues with chunks and whatnot are hopefully stemming from one main issue that our code guys are narrowing down. We've got another round of bug fixes coming for a bunch of stuff at some point during the weekend or early next week, going through cert soon. Ideally before too long the cert process won't take as long and we can start cranking out patches and eventually feature/content updates at a much more reasonable pace. We're also looking into getting an opt-in "test branch" going sometime soon if you get that "my game doesn't work" nostalgia bug lol.

The original intent behind stuff like torches and campfires was that they're intended to be part of this early-game scramble to establish yourself, and to be disposable assets later on for you need to quickly and cheaply light an area with resources have to grab from the ground. Like a tier 0 utility light. Lanterns are the real tier 1 starter light source, really. They don't do as much but they also last forever and don't require power.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 3, 2023

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Glad to hear that its in the works.
Echoing a comment from earlier rebinding the build menu to F and Inventory to C has made accessing the menus much easier, and i recommend it to anyone who really doesn't want to hit I every couple of minutes.

The only other opinion i keep focusing on is that 64 feels a little strange for things to have as a maximum stack size if things aren't also in multiples of 8. So far ive found it on sticks specifically, and building tiles. I guess the latter is to encourage use of the construction system as opposed to carrying around thousands of pre-made blocks, but the former kind of puzzled me. Mainly its just because it kind of cluttered up my stockpile and i was unwilling to just trash them for some reason.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If there's say, food, in a stockpile, and you mark that stockpile as not allowing food, will AI go and remove it to the proper stockpile?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Elendil004 posted:

If there's say, food, in a stockpile, and you mark that stockpile as not allowing food, will AI go and remove it to the proper stockpile?

They will, and it also effects the "give all" command, it'll only dump accepted goods from your inventory which is a godsend

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like that the cheesy as poo poo tactic of knocking out the back walls while spelunking for light during the day is also a thing in this game

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure that's what "post coital glow" means.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So is there an issue with certification holding up patches? Sounds like something was in the work for early this week but I haven't seen anything.

I saw someone ask if there were more than 2 planets in the game which I believe a dev responded that there were not. Are there plans for more in the future? How many are envisioned?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, it's less that there's an "issue" and more that it's kind of slow right now immediately post-launch for reasons that are above my paygrade. This restriction is being loosened a bit soon from what I understand. Maybe it's tied to the consoles? I'm not 100% sure, I personally don't really touch the money or interact with the publisher lol

To answer your other question, in the immediate future we've got two additional planets with assets and layout stuff like background parallax layers and generated set-pieces and structures ready to flesh out once we get some of these pathing issues fixed (which is going well, the code team has sussed out the chunk seam issue which is causing a lot of the problems, we just need to make sure it doesn't break other stuff at this point) and get the early game survival stuff tuned in. Beyond the two additional planets, we've got looser plans for additional ones, and eventually once we actually get more in we want to kind of crack the whole thing open and get them generating on their own out in the universe. But that'll probably come after we get these planets full of things for people to actually do.

We've also opened up a pre-release testing branch finally!

Get access to bug fixes ahead of time

If you're so inclined you can peep our fixes and horrible broken development builds in (almost) real time. Be aware that this is somehow more broken than the base game, but in a lot of ways, more fixed. Don't get attached to Buddy is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh hell yeah :toot: I've been on Shadow Empire and Card Survival's "don't get attached to this save" branches since they were available, I can't resist poking at new stuff the second I'm allowed to