Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i like pvp and im glad they are intentionally sabotaging the pve experience to cater directly to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Section Z posted:

Okay, this is actually perfect as an example for why people are wondering in spite of your good intentions for PvE.

For example, what does the Steam Store have to say about Soldat, the game constantly referenced as the core inspiration for the combat feel, and now the inspiration for the PvP goals.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638490/Soldat/

And then the preview footage shows 3/4 of the gunplay being done with huge 50 foot leaps with a side of jetpack.

In that context, someone rushing in to say "What? How will you evade sniper rifles without quake hopping? Clearly they have decided to hate the game already and just doesn't like things other people like" sounds incredibly off base.

There is nothing wrong with Soldat, there is probably in the end going to be nothing wrong with your eventual gunplay. But if the intended sales pitch is "It will not play like a frenetic bunny hopping arena shooter", and the #1 google result to someone unfamiliar with Soldat is... that. Yeah.

We've only ever quoted Soldat as the inspiration for the combat and physics, never once was the game's structure intended to resemble it in any way or a part of our PvP goals. We also quote Rimworld and Terraria just as often for different aspects of the game's design. We even outright set up a functional Rimworld style job priority checklist recently for the NPCs, that doesn't mean we've shifted our entire design in that direction, it's a part of a whole, but unfortunately designing and creating a whole from a game development perspective means targeting certain systems and elements as we go along, and right now that is implementing rudimentary PvP functionality ALONG with the event system I mentioned before. It's merely one of many concurrent goals that we've decided to strip down and focus on piecemeal rather than throw everything on our plate at once. This is simply the reality of having a small team.

Before PvP is in people's hands during the playtest, we'll have gotten everyone up to snuff on our ideas and what they can expect to experience. We show off our new features and developments off often on our social media so we won't be hiding what you can expect until it's in your laps or anything like that.
We just can't answer incredibly general questions about balancing goals because we haven't even implemented something to balance yet. The most we have to work off of is our existent physics system and slight experience of PvP firefights and from that we can easily say the speed of our physics system isn't even slightly approaching anything as frenetic as you may fear.

Keep an eye out to see what the devs end up working out for our first test run and then we can better address your concerns, for the time being there's just not enough in the mix beyond me telling you how we plan to pull it off in the most general sense.

Popete posted:

I'm curious do you primarily see this as a coop or single player game?

Everything we implement is designed from the perspective of singleplayer first, then we get it functional for multiplayer and hash out those issues so we don't have a heap of conflicts waiting for us later.

Singleplayer > coop > PvP. With the PvP being an element of the coop that can be fine tuned when starting a new world. We want them all to be fleshed out though and not feel tacked on.

metasynthetic posted:

I'm optimistic for this game and have been lurking this / the previous iterations of this thread for years, but I too absolutely get the chills when I see PVP mentioned as a major feature in a genre where I don't expect it. Developers can and do pull off PVP and PVE in the same game, but it's gone wrong often enough that people get spooked for good reason. At the very least your marketing needs to be cognizant of the issue.

This is a big reason why we post regular updates regarding our progress, features, and goals - so everyone has a good idea of our plans. Greater marketing down the road will be a different beast, but by gradually and transparently showing how we're implementing PvP to mesh with the existing game we can hopefully assuage fears that it will be something so divorced that we'd be essentially working on two projects at once or something as nightmarish as that.
I'm not lying when I say we post updates to our social media oftentimes as quickly as we have something somewhat decently implemented in the dev build.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 19, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’ve been watching this for ages and I’m till interested and excited and I can’t wait to see the creation y’all come up with because it’s your creation.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've really enjoyed saying the word "PvP" and seeing :kingsley:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I just wanna know what designing a shuttle really entails.

....because then I can start making Lego mockups.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i like pvp and im glad they are intentionally sabotaging the pve experience to cater directly to me

Same man, same

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
attacking other players was always part of the design, as were modes other than straight coop. i was aiming for a minecraft/rust style thing where everyone exists on the same server and its up to them whether to team up or whack each other to death

that does not mean this is going to turn into some wacky MLG game where you need to minmax to get anywhere

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I just wanna know what designing a shuttle really entails.

....because then I can start making Lego mockups.

We're so far away from that but we've tossed around ideas of making it like cars -- a handful of different chassis that you can soup up in small ways.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rhopunzel posted:

attacking other players was always part of the design, as were modes other than straight coop. i was aiming for a minecraft/rust style thing where everyone exists on the same server and its up to them whether to team up or whack each other to death

that does not mean this is going to turn into some wacky MLG game where you need to minmax to get anywhere

The issue isn't your intentions, but the fact your explanations keep fighting against the tone you want to present.

What do you think it sounds like every time someone says "But it is only loosely inspired by Soldat/other games, it won't play anything like it! Nothing like a fast PvP game at all.", only for someone to turn around and declare how excited they are at the chance to add Jetboots and mobile cover creation to PvP base raids.

I trust you actually give a poo poo and want PvE to be good. But oh man are the attempted assurances like reading off a list of traditional "Multiplayer sandbox games" claims instead, complete with "If you don't like it go make a PvE server" hot takes.

I know you actually give a drat about the PvE side and want to avoid the past sins of other Sandbox Exploration Games™ But you really, really need to realize what it sounds like to keep describing a blackjack and hookers starsiege tribes PvP experience you have a clear PvP vision for, and then act surprised if someone takes "Literal jetboots and deployable cover PvP." at face value for how PvE will play.

And honestly, even that could be pretty loving sweet in PvE anyways considering Starbound started out with bullshit mobility options and one of the best grappling hooks of all time, then kept removing them :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 19, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ichabod Tane posted:

We're so far away from that but we've tossed around ideas of making it like cars -- a handful of different chassis that you can soup up in small ways.

Hey, one of my ideas was for a big ol' frame that the center pod you could change out for a giant cargo bay, a livestock focused transport (able to move livestock or large numbers of people easily), pod with guns mounted on the side (so less cargo), a mobile science lab, etc.

It was gonna be ugly as sign and I was going to want to call it Flipper, because you flip out the center bit to do whatever. Also dolphins.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HelloSailorSign posted:

Hey, one of my ideas was for a big ol' frame that the center pod you could change out for a giant cargo bay, a livestock focused transport (able to move livestock or large numbers of people easily), pod with guns mounted on the side (so less cargo), a mobile science lab, etc.

It was gonna be ugly as sign and I was going to want to call it Flipper, because you flip out the center bit to do whatever. Also dolphins.
I am legitimately amazed by the sudden mental image of a crane game to collect livestock for transport without landing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Section Z posted:

I am legitimately amazed by the sudden mental image of a crane game to collect livestock for transport without landing.

It's an air compressor connected to a giant suction dart.

Conversely, they do that to rescue horses in ravines already. The harness attached to a helicopter, that is.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Section Z posted:

The issue isn't your intentions, but the fact your explanations keep fighting against the tone you want to present.

What do you think it sounds like every time someone says "But it is only loosely inspired by Soldat/other games, it won't play anything like it! Nothing like a fast PvP game at all.", only for someone to turn around and declare how excited they are at the chance to add Jetboots and mobile cover creation to PvP base raids.

I trust you actually give a poo poo and want PvE to be good. But oh man are the attempted assurances like reading off a list of traditional "Multiplayer sandbox games" claims instead, complete with "If you don't like it go make a PvE server" hot takes.

I know you actually give a drat about the PvE side and want to avoid the past sins of other Sandbox Exploration Games™ But you really, really need to realize what it sounds like to keep describing a blackjack and hookers starsiege tribes PvP experience you have a clear PvP vision for, and then act surprised if someone takes "Literal jetboots and deployable cover PvP." at face value for how PvE will play.

And honestly, even that could be pretty loving sweet in PvE anyways considering Starbound started out with bullshit mobility options and one of the best grappling hooks of all time, then kept removing them :v:

i guess i can just assure you otherwise since everything we say seems to be taken to someplace dire.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Or, hear me out, we can just do the magical wait and see technique employed by the forefathers and mothers of yore.

I'm just dropping in after seeing this thread for the first time so this is just my fresh take; Starboard was, to me, as whimsical as it was flat.

Everything felt floaty, combat lacked punch, and overall it was an unsatisfying experience.

I have no idea if Outworlder is going to make it past those same pitfalls, but I know that regardless of what I read im gonna do the tried and true, wait and see TM technique i mentioned earlier. Either way, if these folks are serious then they'll make good game without my input, or bad game without my input.

My input isn't corrobitory to what a good game makes, its just my take.

But I hope its good. :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
devs if you don't listen to my input I can guarantee your game will be good

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
:same:

I don't enjoy PvP but I enjoyed the playtest up to now so I will Wait and See(tm)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm still real interested in this, PvP or no.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Quoting from the GBS thread because I'm a lazy PoS, but there's news!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Hi muddafuckas, it's been awhile.
The game's gone through some pretty heavy development in the past few months, and we not only have a new trailer to show for it:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256854000/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1633033193

But we're also a part of Steam's Next Fest dealio where a bunch of indie devs are showing off their games complete with :spooky: FREE DEMOS :spooky: and that includes us, you can try it out right here at the Steam page where it is helpfully linked by the DOGSHIT company known as Valve.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Outworlder/

So just to go over what's new -
  • A complete, functional faction system, you can now form teams on the fly, leave teams on the fly, and decide whether or not you want to coop or PvP on the fly. You don't have to set teams beforehand, all of it is handled ingame. We will of course eventually make it so that the host can force coop or create premade teams while in the lobby, but for the time being, it's all freeform baby!

• Energy weapons, explosives that damage terrain, and all kinds of other fancy weaponry have been added. We're continuing to refine these, and raiding a bandit lair or another player's base by nuking the crap out of it will absolutely be an option. Conversely, we hope to make it so players can create especially strong bunkers to prevent this.

• Hazards have been added. Currently there's an ice storm that forces you to seek refuge underground in order to survive. This has made base building more goal focused and also makes venturing out a gamble. Outposts become necessary and so will planning for long treks out with food, ammo and some good old digging implements. We've also adjusted our temperature system to be more reactive to heat sources, while also changing based on how high you are (colder), or how low you are (hotter). Yes we know that's not scientifically accurate but this is a videogame!

• We have added super special crates with high value loot in them which can only be opened via keycards that vary from Tier 1 to Tier 3. Each progressive Tier requires rarer and more voluminous goods to be exchanged at a Vendor for keycards. Once a keycard has been obtained, you can initiate a hacking procedure at the appropriate chest. During this period of time, for around three minutes or so, other players will be alerted that is chest is being hacked, and you can either invade and try to jack their poo poo, or, in the future, once implemented, help them fend off hordes of enemies that will collapse on the chest. This way functionality is retained for both PvP and coop. You can imagine that along with blizzards, fighting for these chests can get dynamically messy.

• Weather effects! So far we've got rainstorms and the aforementioned blizzards. The temperature drops during these events and if it's pouring you gotta watch out not to get zapped by lightning. We're glad to have implemented these because we plan on adding so many more of them, and each one will end up affecting the experience in unique ways.

• A Rimworld style management system. Remember checking those boxes to assign jobs and roles to colonists? Well, we've got that too. All your little doofuses can now be assigned to specific jobs so they don't step all over each other or do things you don't want them to. This was a big step in cinching the management aspect of Outworlder, and we plan to expand it even further from that point on.

• Points of interest. Random structures will be sprinkled around the map containing loot and enemies. These are fairly rudimentary for the moment and only consisted of bandit lairs of various difficulties, but later on these will vary from isolated cabins with a single lunatic inside of them, large technobases, crashed spaceships, high up observation posts, mining camps, creature infested dungeons, a goon's computer room with biohazardous hair, and so on and so forth. Players will of course be able to help each other clear these out, or heck, take some armed colonists with you.

• Mobility items. We've got rocket boots, speed boots, double jump boots, wall jumping boots, gently caress man, we've even got the Hulk Hogan meat shoes in here. You can peep some of them in the new trailer. We want to go absolutely nuts with specialized items such as these and later on introduce good old standbys like grappling hooks or even a screw attack.

• We're Steam integrated now, so that means you don't need to do any port fuckery to host or join a game, it's as easy as pressing a button then inviting people with a code. Our multiplayer is also astonishingly stable compared to how it used to be, so multi hour sessions are entirely possible without too much making GBS threads of the bed.

• There are fancy shaders now! Lights glow, lazer weapons light up the night sky, muzzle flashes illuminate the room, bright sparks fly out as you mine ore, and you can see the red glowing eyes of creatures in the dark. It's a little bloom heavy at the moment, and we're still heavily adjusting the values, but the game is popping to an extent it just wasn't anymore. Far more visually exciting than it used to be that's for sure.

I'm probably missing a whole bunch of small things, but we developed the poo poo out of this game in the past few months and you should download the demo and try it or look at Glenn and I playing it like pieces of poo poo on the stream.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Downloaded the demo, but the new game button does not do anything, and the "host server" option causes the game to hang on "failed to connect to server" and has to be terminated using the task manager.

9/10 menu simulator though. Options have sliders and I can set them in many places.

E: apparently on the third restart the button now works.

E2: initial impression is I wish the icons at the right side of the screen would stop beeping at me constantly and popping up and going away without seeming to display any more information.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 2, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OwlFancier posted:

Downloaded the demo, but the new game button does not do anything, and the "host server" option causes the game to hang on "failed to connect to server" and has to be terminated using the task manager.

9/10 menu simulator though. Options have sliders and I can set them in many places.

E: apparently on the third restart the button now works.

E2: initial impression is I wish the icons at the right side of the screen would stop beeping at me constantly and popping up and going away without seeming to display any more information.

Yeah we have to adjust those, they were put in very recently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm really struggling to know what I'm supposed to be doing, I've found some metal ore and have build a tool bench, and a kitchen, but I am not sure how to keep people alive or where to go from here, the colonist you start with just dies to a blizzard because he can't use a ladder to go underground, and i don't understand how to get him to do anything other than run around and not do much.

E: and a bunch of monsters spawned inside the base underground and killed everyone...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 3, 2021

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Gave it a shot myself but I couldn't figure out how to butcher a corpse and buddy died earlier before because they wouldn't stay put underground while I tried to setup a building, not to mention it was not clear that the hazard the blizzard presented was not just cold but radiation. In general things don't really feel intuitive at the start so far and while buddy might have been able to help they tended to struggle to navigate before I realized I could make them follow me, which is probably why it didn't occur to me they may have wisdom to share.

I wish I could provide more detailed feedback but it was mostly just too frustrating for me to want to keep trying without taking a break.

edit: also my world either straight up did not load when I came back or just took way too long to load, not sure which because after 4 minutes gave up.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 3, 2021

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Both issues are being worked on. NPCs will use ladders and were going to make it so that pickaxing corpses will yield a small amount of meat.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

finally, a game that lets me be a meat miner.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

To Do: a world made out of strange meat-like blocks.

(it's a dead space titan)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's your mom, btich

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I have been following Outworlder news off and on since the start, but I only tried the demo a week or two ago. I felt pretty lost in the beginning, I figured out how to get the starting colonist to follow me and I defeated a random bandit in a bunker, but I couldn't figure out how to place anything. I accidentally broke the bed in the bunker, and whenever I tried to place it back down I got an error message.

I didn't see any guides on the steam community page, either. Anywhere I should look to get a solid step by step guide for early players I can read before I give it another go? The in-game hints were not super helpful.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

avoraciopoctules posted:

I have been following Outworlder news off and on since the start, but I only tried the demo a week or two ago. I felt pretty lost in the beginning, I figured out how to get the starting colonist to follow me and I defeated a random bandit in a bunker, but I couldn't figure out how to place anything. I accidentally broke the bed in the bunker, and whenever I tried to place it back down I got an error message.

I didn't see any guides on the steam community page, either. Anywhere I should look to get a solid step by step guide for early players I can read before I give it another go? The in-game hints were not super helpful.

What was the error message when you tried placing the bed?

What happened when you tried placing anything else? How were you trying to place them? How were you selecting them?

Why did you feel lost in the beginning? What did you feel you had to achieve at first? What were you trying to do?

All of these questions help us better :)

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Been plugging away at the game, lots of huge updates and gameplay improvements.

Of particular note:

-Completely new art style. Almost every in game asset has been reskinned and redesigned. The player character is slightly bigger and far more expressive now, instead of the faceless thing we had before
-NPCs can now be ordered to haul, construct, craft and plant. Their pathfinding is also hugely improved
-Building is now done like in RimWorld where you place down plans and NPCs come deposit materials and build them
-The player can function as an NPC and can do all of the same things they do, so if the player so chooses you can assist NPCs or perform their tasks for them. (Its pretty cool running around helping NPCs build things)
-Power and wiring is now a thing. Certain objects will need power to function, and generators need fuel.
-Raiders come and attack you, and there are raider set pieces dotted around the planet for you to go raid
-Tons of new music from our fantastic in-house composer, Failpositive
-A million QoL fixes (made with input from this thread) that should make the game and its mechanics far easier to understand
-Fancy new main menu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahQ3PZeHxBM)

Most of this is accessible on the demo from the Steam page. Would appreciate feedback from this thread.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
is there really no way to rebind the movement keys? 'cuz if not i think i'm done here

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

is there really no way to rebind the movement keys? 'cuz if not i think i'm done here

We can, I guess? Out of all our internal testing and our publishers internal testing, you're the first to ask for this. It just hasn't been a priority because we figured WASD is ubiquitous.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

This gives some very good Stardew Valley vibes.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Weavered posted:

This gives some very good Stardew Valley vibes.

That's good! I didn't like the old menu, the UI was ugly and showing just a planet was cliche and didn't really inspire much for the imagination. So I had our team take a few days to throw this together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I gave the demo another go and I'm still struggling with it, still kind of hard to figure out what I'm doing off the bat but it feels a lot less hostile than it did when I first tried it.

The colonist management thing is interesting, feels sort of like terraria mixed with rimworld.

I will plug away at it some more and see if I can get it to click.

E: oh also the delete button on the save menu does not seem to work.

One thing I would request is whether it would be possible to hold ctrl or something to move a whole stack from the inventory to a container and vice versa, and also could the top inventory bar have duplicate functionality to the inventory bar in the inventory window, I keep dragging things out of my inventory to the top bar which doesn't work. Also a way to eat food from the inventory rather than putting it on the hotbar. Little stuff like that does help a lot with the usability.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 19, 2022

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

One thing I would request is whether it would be possible to hold ctrl or something to move a whole stack from the inventory to a container and vice versa, and also could the top inventory bar have duplicate functionality to the inventory bar in the inventory window, I keep dragging things out of my inventory to the top bar which doesn't work. Also a way to eat food from the inventory rather than putting it on the hotbar. Little stuff like that does help a lot with the usability.

Try holding ctrl and right clicking. It may only be on the privatebeta branch right now, but its definitely an issue that's been addressed and will be rolled out.

Actually here, have a live shot from our dev chat

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 19, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't work on the public demo so it may only be on your more recent build.

Is there some trick to getting colonists to do jobs? Sometimes they seem to do mining orders, plant work etc, but sometimes not, they stop in the middle of doing things and just wander around. They have tools etc appropriate and everyone is set to do everything. Is there some limitation to what they will do that is not obvious?

Possibly if an order is selected using the selection tool it could list why it is not being performed?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't work on the public demo so it may only be on your more recent build.

Is there some trick to getting colonists to do jobs? Sometimes they seem to do mining orders, plant work etc, but sometimes not, they stop in the middle of doing things and just wander around. They have tools etc appropriate and everyone is set to do everything. Is there some limitation to what they will do that is not obvious?

Possibly if an order is selected using the selection tool it could list why it is not being performed?

Pathing may be a bit wonky, its something were constantly refining. Make sure their path to the task has as few obstacles as possible. They also don't do well with jumping across gaps. For build orders, hover over it and till tell you what materials you need.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They have a straight line path, they will generally wander over the top of the jobs without doing them, it's odd. Even if I start building a blueprint they will just ignore it, as I said it's inconsistent, they will more reliably complete workstation orders if I put the resources in the station though they will not take from stockpiles to complete orders, not sure if that is intentional or not.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rhopunzel posted:

We can, I guess? Out of all our internal testing and our publishers internal testing, you're the first to ask for this. It just hasn't been a priority because we figured WASD is ubiquitous.

Not at all. Some folk have mobility issues with their hands, some just prefer their mouse on the other side. Are you looking at accessibility options yet or is it too early for that? I dunno when that would usually get put into a game. I've asked very early access devs before to change fonts and whatnot because of visual impairment and they've either agreed to do it or explained they can't. They haven't acted like I was weird for asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

They have a straight line path, they will generally wander over the top of the jobs without doing them, it's odd. Even if I start building a blueprint they will just ignore it, as I said it's inconsistent, they will more reliably complete workstation orders if I put the resources in the station though they will not take from stockpiles to complete orders, not sure if that is intentional or not.

No, they definitely should be taking resources and depositing them to workstations for orders. Screenshots and/or the save file (located in AppData\LocalLow\Igloosoft) would really be more helpful so we can directly see what's going on.