Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

vidoe game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nice im gonna grab this

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:toot:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think we're having some MP server overload issues atm, which is a good problem to have I guess??? worked fine last night.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey I've stuck the thread for a week! Congrats on launch! I'll be picking this up today.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Watching some guy stream this in Japanese so I have no idea whats going. The snow storm effect looks really neat!

I bought this game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does this support cross platform? I bought it on Steam but I'm thinking about asking a couple friends to check it out, they would probably want to get it on PS5 though.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Plays nice on Steam Deck so far too, there's a community key config that works well enough.

Congrats on getting it all done and launched!

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

I think we're having some MP server overload issues atm, which is a good problem to have I guess??? worked fine last night.

Here's to hoping all the purchases overload steam's servers next. :cheers:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hell yeah. I'm surprised (and pleased) to see this immediately release without Early Access.

I know it's just a flag these days, but it's nice to be able to drop into it knowing you guys consider it a complete game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Hey I've stuck the thread for a week! Congrats on launch! I'll be picking this up today.

Thanks!

Popete posted:

Watching some guy stream this in Japanese so I have no idea whats going. The snow storm effect looks really neat!

I bought this game.

yeah we've got a surprising little bump from the japanese gaming community we weren't expecting, it's been pretty cool

Popete posted:

Does this support cross platform? I bought it on Steam but I'm thinking about asking a couple friends to check it out, they would probably want to get it on PS5 though.

reasonably sure we're gamepass/windows cross play, there's no PC to PC crossplay between gamepass and steam though, sorry

Dirty Needles posted:

Plays nice on Steam Deck so far too, there's a community key config that works well enough.

Congrats on getting it all done and launched!

Thanks!

Hyedum posted:

Here's to hoping all the purchases overload steam's servers next. :cheers:

:pray:

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hell yeah. I'm surprised (and pleased) to see this immediately release without Early Access.

I know it's just a flag these days, but it's nice to be able to drop into it knowing you guys consider it a complete game.

I think everyone here's on board with continuing to support and work on the game as long as we can, too. There's always ways to expand and draw more out of games like these.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

reasonably sure we're gamepass/windows cross play, there's no PC to PC crossplay between gamepass and steam though, sorry

Does this mean cross play between Playstation and PC?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I saw this pop up in Gamepass, I will play this evening when I get a chance.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Started the game for the first time since the first beta release. Got swarmed under by snakes because I built on the ground floor with no doors and all my colonists got downed with no medical supplies.

Started a new game, built a base on stilts. Buddy ran off into the distance for no explicable reason, got downed, and one by one all my other colonists ran after him and also died.

Game is good, was worth backing.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
how do I avoid freezing to death? radiators don't seem to make a room warm enough

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TwoDice posted:

how do I avoid freezing to death? radiators don't seem to make a room warm enough

This is one of the issues I found in just under an hour of play. Along with the game desperately needs an auto stack(unless this exists and I just didn't see it), the information on mouse hover behaves oddly in that if you are looking at the hover text going from item to item sometimes it disappears and doesn't show again until you mess around with it for a bit, and I don't understand why my colonists won't eat carrots and why there don't seem to be any recipes for them(along with all other veggies except potatoes). Also my colonists are dumb as hell and I will get an alert that they are hungry, only for me to go over to the stockpile and see plenty of food, and then see them walk over and grab a bite to eat.

Also, build on L? Really?

The game has a lot of cool stuff(I love the obviously Rimworld-inspired work order system) and I will play more later, but those were the big things that leapt out at me.

Edit: Oh, and lighting is weird underground. I have a permanent light bubble around me, but I put down a lantern and it seems to barely give off any light. I would personally take a far darker underground(with no personal light bubble) in exchange for light sources that are nice and bright.

Edit2: Oh, I almost forgot about this: All seeds look the same in inventory. So I can have 12 different types of seeds, and they all look identical and stacking them was driving me crazy. Maybe just swap colors?

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 31, 2023

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
I was going to ask about Outworlder pre-orders being honoured, but I just had a look and I can see a key there in Humble. Nice! Congrats on the launch.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Played for a couple hours with a friend today. I had fun despite some jank. This really feels like an EA game but assuming it gets fixes and stuff, not a huge deal.

I like the building and letting your AI do most of the hard work, though I agree with Peachfart, L is a strange build key. It should also put your focus into the text box so you can go "L bed" and get beds instead of having to click.

We ran into a ton of research issues, with research stopping at 99.98% then upon restart spamming complete constantly.

AI colonists also scream about being hungry I think before their AI tells them to find food because we had plenty of food they'd just get upset, then eventually go find food. That needs some work.

Impossible to not draw comparisons to Terraria and Starbound but that's not a bad thing. I just hope the ship stuff is solid...so far we haven't figured out what to do in the underground base, I assume we need C4 but we haven't researched it yet.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Elendil004 posted:

Played for a couple hours with a friend today. I had fun despite some jank. This really feels like an EA game but assuming it gets fixes and stuff, not a huge deal.

I like the building and letting your AI do most of the hard work, though I agree with Peachfart, L is a strange build key. It should also put your focus into the text box so you can go "L bed" and get beds instead of having to click.

We ran into a ton of research issues, with research stopping at 99.98% then upon restart spamming complete constantly.

AI colonists also scream about being hungry I think before their AI tells them to find food because we had plenty of food they'd just get upset, then eventually go find food. That needs some work.

Impossible to not draw comparisons to Terraria and Starbound but that's not a bad thing. I just hope the ship stuff is solid...so far we haven't figured out what to do in the underground base, I assume we need C4 but we haven't researched it yet.

The L/I/Tab distinction is temporary. We're working on unifying them into one UI element, so you won't have to deal with constantly pressing the wrong button.

The research spam is already fixed in 1.05, we wanted to launch with that but were overridden.

Improving AI is at the top of our list.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^ lol of course you show up as I'm typing my post up ^^

Apologies for the absence, we're all scrambling to answer questions on like 5 different platforms and then I took a nap lol

Popete posted:

Does this mean cross play between Playstation and PC?

Ahh sorry if I worded that weird, no. Perhaps someday but honestly a lot of the crossplay stuff outside of Windows Store/Gamepass is a minefield to navigate

There's a lot of jank that's bubbling to the surface now that we've gone from 8 regular testers to hundreds that we're prioritizing. In particular Pathfinding is a big thing we're being hammered on that we're looking to address ASAP. This is also where usability concerns are starting to rear their head; please do not hesitate to hit us with more suggestions about stuff with build-mode weirdness or strange hotkey priorities, we need outside eyes for that sort of thing. once you deal with it long enough internally it just sorts of becomes normal, you know?

As for continued support and bugfixes, we're definitely going hard in on smoothing it out more. We all like working on it and we feel that we've got a good base for a fun game that we really don't want it to be drowned out by usability problems. I myself am but a simple artist so I can't personally speak on behalf of our code team on what our exact priorities are but I've been blowing up our launch-day feedback and bug report channels with everyone's concerns, trust lol.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Am I missing a sort stockpile button and/or a dump inventory to stockpile if like items are there?

Is the search radius on stockpiles squares or something else, it seems small but AI bring stuff from pretty far.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Bought two copies of the game earlier today, but based on thread chat it will probably be better if I hold off actually playing for a bit until the delayed patches show up. The guy I am going to be playing with would probably prefer not having to re-learn the building system. Still, I remember having a lot of fun with this when I tried a public demo before the name change. Looking forward to seeing what changed when I boot it up in a week or two.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm at the title menu and it says FARWORLD PIONEER5

Should I have played the first 4 games or can I just pick it up from here?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'm interested in playing this, but I don't like the idea of being harassed by raiders on my starter planet. Is that a thing?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

avoraciopoctules posted:

Bought two copies of the game earlier today, but based on thread chat it will probably be better if I hold off actually playing for a bit until the delayed patches show up. The guy I am going to be playing with would probably prefer not having to re-learn the building system. Still, I remember having a lot of fun with this when I tried a public demo before the name change. Looking forward to seeing what changed when I boot it up in a week or two.

the actual building/inventory/work order system isn't subject to change as far as I'm aware, just some convenience reworks on how you access it all.

Popete posted:

I'm at the title menu and it says FARWORLD PIONEER5

Should I have played the first 4 games or can I just pick it up from here?

you gotta know the lore

Tombot posted:

I'm interested in playing this, but I don't like the idea of being harassed by raiders on my starter planet. Is that a thing?

yeah it is, but you're not the first person with those kinds of concerns I've seen so I'll bring it up to the code team, see if we can do some modifying of early game difficulty or something.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Feels like my NPCs get stuck on 4-5 story ladders, even though there's ladders. Lots of them will just stand around in their rooms even though it's 100% passable. Also I have no idea how far they'll go to do tasks - the radius for planting/harvesting seems way more generous than the one for crafting, but I don't have a clue either way since there's no UI indicators for anything. I almost wish there were some kind of "Claim Bubble" that would define the center of my colony and highlight the travel radius for tasks.

I like the art and the combat so far though! Lots of neat stuff, but a pillar of the design like "NPCs being able to move" being borked is keeping me from really going ham with everything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tombot posted:

Building a wooden shack because an open campfire does not stop you from freezing in a blizzard. Shack building interrupted by fending off bats with my dwindling bullets, because my knife can't aim up, because my sleeping colonists respond to attack by repeatedly going back to sleep.

Finally, finally, I finish putting in the background walls and doors... Right as raiders show up. At least now I have a machete capable of hitting a bat. Which is great because research keeps stopping, and I have not had time to even really find ore, and the campfire is gone so everyone is freezing again in the next freak blizzard.

Can they even eat raw potatoes I ordered them to plant and harvest while I lack the material to build a kitchen if the campfire goes out while I am looking for iron? Sorry guys no meat for simple meal, the last thirty seven birds and chickens I have killed with a machete have dropped either feathers or nothing.

EDIT: Bats are seemingly immune to machetes, and all five of my colonists are dying off screen to more raiders according to the message system. But hey, at least I finally found some iron ore! :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 31, 2023

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
For anybody averse to getting their sandcastles kicked down, there is a Peaceful Mode toggle in the ESC menu at the moment. It seems to automatically toggle to not peaceful after you get through the tutorial, and also controls aggressive monster spawns. I just flip it back on unless I need meat or something. Getting through the first big objective area the game points you towards really boosted my ability to arm my colonists, and I found some very good guns in there as well. Building 4 tile high walls on the edge of your colony space helps a lot with controlling aggressive animals, although it won't stop raiders, who just need loads of lead.

Use the Buddy teleporter! It's in Buddy's inventory, and will teleport you back to him instantly, for free, and as many times as you want!

Annoying that the pneumatic drill can't dislodge furniture items like the pickaxe can, I was happy to be done with the low-tech option until I discovered that.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Section Z posted:

Building a wooden shack because an open campfire does not stop you from freezing in a blizzard. Shack building interrupted by fending off bats with my dwindling bullets, because my knife can't aim up, because my sleeping colonists respond to attack by repeatedly going back to sleep.

Finally, finally, I finish putting in the background walls and doors... Right as raiders show up. At least now I have a machete capable of hitting a bat. Which is great because research keeps stopping, and I have not had time to even really find ore, and the campfire is gone so everyone is freezing again in the next freak blizzard.

Can they even eat raw potatoes I ordered them to plant and harvest while I lack the material to build a kitchen if the campfire goes out while I am looking for iron? Sorry guys no meat for simple meal, the last thirty seven birds and chickens I have killed with a machete have dropped either feathers or nothing.

EDIT: Bats are seemingly immune to machetes, and all five of my colonists are dying off screen to more raiders according to the message system. But hey, at least I finally found some iron ore! :buddy:

You can pick up animal corpses and drop them on the butcher's table to get meat, even if they didn't drop any originally. I think colony members will do it automatically as well.

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

caedwalla posted:

You can pick up animal corpses and drop them on the butcher's table to get meat, even if they didn't drop any originally. I think colony members will do it automatically as well.

You can also manually butcher corpses with at least the knife you start with. Just crouch and stab it for a second or two.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I'm having a hard time getting my colonists to do anything. Most of them will sit around idle while there's some blueprints within range to build and building materials nearby. As well as mining orders just being ignored even though they have a pickaxe.

I don't know if they're supposed to load up furnaces with the right material to smelt the things I've added, but they're not doing that either. Nor will they research at my research station even when I remove all other tasks.

This is really rough and I'm not sure if it's because I'm doing something wrong, or if there's an issue with the game.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm having a hard time getting my colonists to do anything. Most of them will sit around idle while there's some blueprints within range to build and building materials nearby. As well as mining orders just being ignored even though they have a pickaxe.

I don't know if they're supposed to load up furnaces with the right material to smelt the things I've added, but they're not doing that either. Nor will they research at my research station even when I remove all other tasks.

This is really rough and I'm not sure if it's because I'm doing something wrong, or if there's an issue with the game.

Your research station does need power, so maybe it is unpowered?
Otherwise the rest of that all 'worked' for me, though the colonist response times ranged from instant to a few minutes.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

The station is powered (I think?). I put a power conduit nearby, wasn't sure exactly how I or if I needed to plug it in. But it seems to be slowly researching something without a colonist on it's own so I assume it's powered.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Our colonists love inexplecibly getting cold despite being in heated areas, then dying, then spawning multiple copies across the map which can't be interacted with it's really confusing.

Question about ladders though, If you have a one tile wide gap in a floor, do you bring the ladder to the floor like FFFLFFF or do you put it one tile below with a platform across the top?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Will colonists actually tend to their own/others wounds? Do they need to have bandages/medical kits/etc. manually put in their inventory to do so?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

death cob for cutie posted:

Will colonists actually tend to their own/others wounds? Do they need to have bandages/medical kits/etc. manually put in their inventory to do so?

They should do. Doctors are also able to revive/heal without medkits.

edit: working on a fix for idle colonists ASAP

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
I already had a bad feeling when my many many years ago now pre-order, which was supposed to grant early access to a beta, quietly became a "nah, you just get the game on launch day" key without any warning. And then somehow they ran out of these keys to hand out on launch day?

But wow, actual game is in a pretty dire state considering the length of development. It's a tough market these days, more competition than ever, you don't really get a chance to drop a hot anthill of bugs like this and recover from it without a serious advertising budget to accompany. lovely situation.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I saw people on the Steam forums asking why it wasn't early access and they got brushed off, which I found a bit puzzling.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

HopperUK posted:

I saw people on the Steam forums asking why it wasn't early access and they got brushed off, which I found a bit puzzling.

It gave us options at a time when it came between either that or canceling the game entirely. For all intents and purposes we're treating the game as early access. We intend to continue updating it and adding content to it indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

From everything I'm seeing on Steam, the game launched with 1.03 but it is version 1.05 that has all the fixes. I am cautiously optimistic that things will get much better after that patch comes out. Will sit on it until then.