Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Where are you finding starbound weirdos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No I mean are you like geting @ed on twitter from starb0n3r_69 or something?

E: oh like on press sites or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey timmy I got you the best present, it's a broken teapot and a roll of gaffer tape.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you can streamline managing consumable resources like ammo/potions etc by allowing automation of restocking, like if you can just walk past an object and it refills your consumables from storage, and also maybe unloads your inventory crap.

Factorio robots are good, essentially. Minimising repetitious clicking is nice when games allow it. The inventory management is one of the few complaints I have about terraria and is carried over to most games in its genre.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't like soldat but that's because it was multiplayer, I'd probably like the mechanics in a singleplayer game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wishlisted, happy to see you're still going with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Press a button at the right time mid-reload to finish reloading faster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coming from STALKER I don't necessarily mind a lack of indicator for how much damage you're doing, because to an extent that can be part of the fun, you don't know how close to death something is or how much it's going to take to kill it until you have fought a lot of them and know your guns and the enemies well, which fits in well with the general experience of screaming and flailing and running away when you get jumped by something out in the wilderness. Developing confidence in your ability to deal with threats is part of the progression and exploration element and also part of the narrative, because that's literally what your character is supposed to be doing as they spend time in the zone.

But it doesn't have to dovetail with crappy guns. I would appreciate perhaps things like audible ping noises when you're shooting something that can just bounce your bullets, because that can sometimes be non-obvious (and also shooting/being shot and having the bullets ping off is pretty cool) but as long as you can have relative confidence that you are doing something to an enemy, I don't know that having to give specific numbers is necessary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Yeah it CAN work great. but a big part of why it works in STALKER is you are way more badass than most fans give you credit for. "Oh no, a psychic mutant who can create a bullet deflecting force field!... Oh I auto shotgunned him so hard his corpse froze upright halfway through his shield casting animation :black101: " Granted, my big turning point in those games was realizing that everyone telling me "This isn't doom you know! A poor craftsman blames his tools" was full of poo poo and MMO progression was the name of the game because usually a later gun you find half broken in a ditch on full auto is more accurate than an early gun lovingly aimed down sights with careful semi-auto with recoil upgrades.

I've just had it beaten into me over the years that claims of "Hiding the information because that is so immersive and proves you are not like an MMO" is often a bad time. Gameplay information does not ruin immersion.

Whenever someone's big argument for a gameplay element that inconveniences the player rather than aids them is "Oh but we love lore and/or immersion so much!", nearly every time it turns out they are lying to themselves to put some PR polish on a personal preference and will backpedal to "It's a game and we need to think in terms of gameplay not immersion" if it would benefit the player instead of be the set dressing for a detriment.

like how early on in Elite Dangerous there was a reccurring trend of the Devs poo poo talking the idea of tractor beams people wanted due to awkward (if not outright buggy) ore scooping because it just wouldn't be lore friendly or realistic, then U turn to "Uh... that wouldn't fit the gameplay we want" when a well meaning veteran of the franchise suggested the set and forget automatic mining machines from the games being put up on a pedestal instead of just being part of the "It is elite dangerous not elite casual. We love immersion." echo chamber.

So these days I start to get twitchy when people start declaring how lore friendly and immersive hiding relevant gameplay information from players or restricting core gameplay loop resources is.

You know, like survival games showing helicarrier bases and flying strip mining operation trains on the store page, where the devs preen about how they just HAD to nerf water table generation because people were just "solving thirst by drilling" and that isn't how immersive realistic survival gameplay works :downs:

I suppose it depends on whether you are obfuscating something important. A lot of shooters don't necessarily need to show damage numbers because you can get a fairly intuitive feel for the relative power of guns because you know how many shots it takes to kill the same enemy, and that extrapolates into the entire game.

Starbound I think specifically has the problem where it has randomly generated guns and randomly generated enemies and none of them have consistent damage or hitpoints, so there is no sense of "this gun kills enemies twice as fast" or even "this enemy has twice as much HP" from combat because you aren't ever fighting the same enemies or using the same gun long enough to have these static reference points. You are just adrift in an endless soup of subjective damage:hp ratios and honestly putting numbers on it doesn't really help aside from the monkey brain "big number good" feeling you get. And that not even touching on how some guns just didn't work on some enemies or how armour worked.

If Outworlder has either more consistent damage (per ammo or per gun) or consistent enemies that keep showing up throughout the game I think that would help to establish the effectiveness of guns in a more intuitive fashion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I've played a multiplayer game in the last decade so yeah PvP not really relevant for me either but hopefully the time spent on things like general combat mechanics and stuff will translate to other parts of the game too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Downloaded the demo, but the new game button does not do anything, and the "host server" option causes the game to hang on "failed to connect to server" and has to be terminated using the task manager.

9/10 menu simulator though. Options have sliders and I can set them in many places.

E: apparently on the third restart the button now works.

E2: initial impression is I wish the icons at the right side of the screen would stop beeping at me constantly and popping up and going away without seeming to display any more information.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 2, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm really struggling to know what I'm supposed to be doing, I've found some metal ore and have build a tool bench, and a kitchen, but I am not sure how to keep people alive or where to go from here, the colonist you start with just dies to a blizzard because he can't use a ladder to go underground, and i don't understand how to get him to do anything other than run around and not do much.

E: and a bunch of monsters spawned inside the base underground and killed everyone...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I gave the demo another go and I'm still struggling with it, still kind of hard to figure out what I'm doing off the bat but it feels a lot less hostile than it did when I first tried it.

The colonist management thing is interesting, feels sort of like terraria mixed with rimworld.

I will plug away at it some more and see if I can get it to click.

E: oh also the delete button on the save menu does not seem to work.

One thing I would request is whether it would be possible to hold ctrl or something to move a whole stack from the inventory to a container and vice versa, and also could the top inventory bar have duplicate functionality to the inventory bar in the inventory window, I keep dragging things out of my inventory to the top bar which doesn't work. Also a way to eat food from the inventory rather than putting it on the hotbar. Little stuff like that does help a lot with the usability.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 19, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't work on the public demo so it may only be on your more recent build.

Is there some trick to getting colonists to do jobs? Sometimes they seem to do mining orders, plant work etc, but sometimes not, they stop in the middle of doing things and just wander around. They have tools etc appropriate and everyone is set to do everything. Is there some limitation to what they will do that is not obvious?

Possibly if an order is selected using the selection tool it could list why it is not being performed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They have a straight line path, they will generally wander over the top of the jobs without doing them, it's odd. Even if I start building a blueprint they will just ignore it, as I said it's inconsistent, they will more reliably complete workstation orders if I put the resources in the station though they will not take from stockpiles to complete orders, not sure if that is intentional or not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure I'll go find it and upload it somewhere, anywhere preferable?

E: hmm hang on, restarting the game seems to have given them a shove and they now appear to be happier doing work, will see if it fixes it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 19, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Will PM you a link to google drive, cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure that's what "post coital glow" means.