Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I bet a lot of us olds on this dead forum have a lot of big tax energy to share. This is a thread where you can let it out. Really go wild here, folks.
  • Tell us where you're going to be e-filing this year. Let us know where the hot deals are!
  • Tell us why you always print the forms and mail them in a physical envelope with a stamp and everything.
  • Are you so important that you outsource your taxes to a CPA? Well get the gently caress outta this thread you cheater.
  • Gripe about how much you have to pay, you rich bastards.
  • Gloat about how little you have to pay, you poor poverty goons (or you rat-loving billionaires).
  • Point out how simple income tax is outside the US where the tax code maybe isn't intentionally obfuscated due to lobbying from tax prep corporations.
  • Make fun of your dumb relatives who don't understand how tax brackets work.
  • Ask questions about the tax forms you can't figure out, and get non-professional answers from random goons that are sure to get you audited.
  • Declare that as a sovereign citizen you don't owe the US government a thing, and if they disagree they're welcome to try collecting it from your compound.
  • Muse about how many new war orphans your 2019 tax dollars will purchase.
  • And more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I pay my taxes using sexual means

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I guess I'll start. I got my W2 in the mail today (even though every year I opt for the paperless option through my company's HR site??) and I really don't want it to just sit on my desk until April. I'd like to roll up the ol' short sleeves and get started. Unfortunately I have a brokerage account that hasn't generated my 1099 yet, so I have to wait a little bit longer to file.

I think I'm going to use credit karma this year because it looks like it will be free. In the past I've use taxact because it was either free or very cheap and pretty good, but it looks like they're going to want $40 this year just to send a goddamn PDF to the IRS. Plus I already have a credit karma account and they've probably stolen all the valuable information about me already, so I might as well hand over my W2 as well.

I bought a plug-in hybrid vehicle (PIV) this year. Yes I'm that cool. It says it's eligible for the full $7500 federal tax credit and I'm looking forward to not feeling so bad about financing a new car when that check comes in. Other than that my taxes are always super simple because I'm too lazy to do side jobs or be self-employed.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I pay my taxes using sexual means

Beaten to the opening post in my own thread. I even wrote most of it ahead of time to avoid this kind of embarrassment :negative:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Gonna try freetaxusa this year. Grabbed the W2s and started entering the info. The wife didnt have any taxes taken out all year. :bang:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't had PIV in awhile

Forgot how expensive it was

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Gonna try freetaxusa this year. Grabbed the W2s and started entering the info. The wife didnt have any taxes taken out all year. :bang:

Surely that means you've been earning interest on the non-withheld tax money this whole time! What a boon!!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I think I didn't file last year

I'm not 100 % sure if I didn't file or I did and totally lied (no health insurance)

But I've gotten nothing in the mail yet so :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Spinz posted:

I'm not 100 % sure if I didn't file or I did and totally lied (no health insurance)

This is actually a really great strategy unless someone notices.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I user credit karma to file because a couple years ago it was the only one I could find that was still free for doing a schedule C

and then I do the state one for free on their website which sucks but it's free

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Oh yeah, I'm from Florida and it sucks here, but the one upshot is that we don't pay any state income tax because I guess we get all of our tax revenue from tourists due to our natural wonders (humidity and swamp stench).

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Self-employed so I file my own through turbo taxo. I hate all of it. Every year

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm poor so I just use Turbo Tax's free filing.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Self-employed so I file my own through turbo taxo. I hate all of it. Every year

turbo tax is terrible for us self employeders, switch to credit karma at least

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm angry about taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
every single year, tax season allows me to see what people are really like. hint: oof

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i never paid what i owed last year :blastu:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I filed yesterday. Getting a nice refund. Will probably buy a new posting rig.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My job is providing a person to do my taxes and filings so I plan to buy a bunch of stogies and try to act rich while he goes through my pathetic returns.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
You must report all interest income even if you didnt meet the $10.00 minimum threshold to receive a 1099.

Ok thanks tax software for reminding me to report my $8.55 savings account interest. Wouldn't dare dream of cheating out uncle sam what he is owed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

You must report all interest income even if you didnt meet the $10.00 minimum threshold to receive a 1099.

Ok thanks tax software for reminding me to report my $8.55 savings account interest. Wouldn't dare dream of cheating out uncle sam what he is owed.

Unless you have like $250 in your savings account I recommend finding someone to revisit your options re: cash and cash equivalents.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

lol if you dont cheat on your taxes for reals though

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Chinatown posted:

lol if you dont cheat on your taxes for reals though

you don't want to do your part to fuel the war machine??

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

turbo tax is terrible for us self employeders, switch to credit karma at least

:thunk:

I owe money this year >:^(

Whats better bout da karma?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Does anyone actually check 'yes' when turbotax asked if you bought items online that weren't taxed?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:thunk:

I owe money this year >:^(

Whats better bout da karma?

I owe money every year because I don't pay estimated quarterly taxes because I'm stupid lol credit karma doesn't charge you (at least as of last year) to file the schedule C. turbo tax makes you bump up from the free filing to like $60 or something for the privilege of filling out a schedule C. I think the only form turbo tax still does free is the 1040EZ, it's lame. so to sum up: I file my 1040 with a schedule C and multiple 1099-MISCs and that's free to do on credit karma

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does anyone actually check 'yes' when turbotax asked if you bought items online that weren't taxed?

if my background investigator is reading this right now, yes of course i do, and no i don't know any of these people

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I like giving the government an interest free loan each year and receiving a "refund". :hellyeah:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
I keep my millions in an offshore account. What are taxes?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I owe money every year because I don't pay estimated quarterly taxes because I'm stupid lol credit karma doesn't charge you (at least as of last year) to file the schedule C. turbo tax makes you bump up from the free filing to like $60 or something for the privilege of filling out a schedule C. I think the only form turbo tax still does free is the 1040EZ, it's lame. so to sum up: I file my 1040 with a schedule C and multiple 1099-MISCs and that's free to do on credit karma

Oh man i do the same thing! I really shouldn't. 2grand is...not in the budget.... neither is the drat q1234 taxes...its like they want me to stay poor

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my tax preparer prepares my taxes

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
my accountants have been preparing my tax strategy for nearly a year now. so far they seem deadset on e-filing which i find fascinating

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Spinz posted:

Call the IRS. Penalties and interest ain't nothin' to gently caress with.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Antivehicular posted:

Dont rat them out!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Pick posted:

my tax preparer prepares my taxes

:guillotine:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Two years ago, my taxes were 110 pages long.
Even though I live in Washington, I make sure I have a southern california taxidermist because they know industry deductions.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I get nervous if I don’t get my taxes done by March. Why aren’t my w2 and 1099s available electronically within a minute of midnight New Year’s Day?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

i would rather google how to file late. adding the oversight of an authority couldnt possibly improve things
but if your withholdings were set such that you overpaid by any amount you should be safe

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

your tax software was written by a gaggle of cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

gary oldmans diary posted:

i would rather google how to file late. adding the oversight of an authority couldnt possibly improve things
but if your withholdings were set such that you overpaid by any amount you should be safe

Yeah, it's also probably fine to file a late return if it's only a year late -- it takes a while for penalties to accrue, so you'll probably be okay. My point is just that you shouldn't just let tax accounts rot, because then the penalties get gross if you have a balance due, and if you're overpaid you'll lose your refund to the statute of limitations.