Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The actual quote is way better and funnier, his problem wasn't with the film itself (though apparently shooting on location in Tunisia was a pain) but with the fact that a childrens fantasy film had taken such a deep root in the consciousness of the world and so many people had become obsessed with it to the exclusion of everything else:

Sir Alec Guiness posted:

A refurbished Star Wars is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy. I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the film was first shown, it had a freshness, also a sense of moral good and fun. Then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The first bad penny dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy's eyes I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form and I guessed that one day they would explode.

'I would love you to do something for me,' I said.

'Anything! Anything!' the boy said rapturously.

'You won't like what I'm going to ask you to do,' I said.

'Anything, sir, anything!'

'Well,' I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?'

He burst into tears. His mother drew herself up to an immense height. 'What a dreadful thing to say to a child!' she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

The actual quote is way better and funnier, his problem wasn't with the film itself (though apparently shooting on location in Tunisia was a pain) but with the fact that a childrens fantasy film had taken such a deep root in the consciousness of the world and so many people had become obsessed with it to the exclusion of everything else:

lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God if only I could live in a world of secondhand childish banalities instead of this one

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Here is that anecdote from the other side

Or at least so they say.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

dont watch secondhand banalities, like george lucas directing alec guinness on how to portray his vision of a powerful old man sitting around the desert in some robes lamenting the predations of imperial soldiers w guns, in starwars. watch thirdhand banalities, like david lean directing alec guinness on how to portray his interpretation of lowell thomas’s depiction of an old man sitting around the desert in some robes lamenting the predations of imperial soldiers w guns, in lawrence of arabia

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Alec Guinness sure did hate Star Wars but had no problem coming back for Empire and Jedi lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
"I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars" - Alec Guinness

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

yeah that sure would be awkward if any of us did that right guys haha

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

yeah that sure would be awkward if any of us did that right guys haha

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

next RSF should just be about alec guinness movies. need to watch river kwai again

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

next RSF should just be about alec guinness movies. need to watch river kwai again

Hell yeah

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StashAugustine posted:

never seen it, is it good?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

its been like a decade but i remember it being good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Older established serious actors love acting in independent films so they can feel like they haven't sold out and they love acting in childrens movies because it lets them reach an entirely new audience, Star Wars was like the perfect storm of that.