Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also the Ewoks aren't even a problem imo but I know that's what you're gonna say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Other than a bit of weirdness with the luke-leia-han situation really nothing. I was a lil babby and I liked the ewok scenes well enough. It's just also the least good of three good movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly I think it's got the best Jedi related stuff, I like chill force master Luke. The Jabba palace escape is insanely convoluted if you spend even one second thinking about it, but the whole point of it was to get the scene where Luke grabs the diving board and catches his new green lightsaber mid air and owns everyone with it, so that's worth it.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

bringing back the death star created a precedent of bringing back the death star

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You've got to admit it looked badass all half built

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

come to think of it did it really need to be a death star? its not like it blew up any planets or anything

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:whitewater:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*leaning over to date when the Death Star shows up on screen* "That's no moon"

Also I had no idea DS2 was supposed to be bigger than DS1

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What if another Death Star isn't the most interesting plot, Harrison Ford wasn't into it, Lucas was all in on making toys.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

It has the best space battle in all the movies, and the final confrontation with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor was perfect.

I don’t get how the fuzzy teddy bears offsets that for people

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Other than the sex slave Leia bit, I am perfectly fine with RoTJ and think its a great movie.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
“Well, you should fight for your outfit. Don’t be a slave like I was,” Fisher told Ridley. She later added, “You keep fighting against that slave outfit.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

What if another Death Star isn't the most interesting plot, Harrison Ford wasn't into it, Lucas was all in on making toys.

The death star thing was really an afterthought, they blew it up quite easily.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Nothing, it's a fun good movie and also the Ewoks are good.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's a pretty good movie OP but the opening on Tatooine kinda drags when they are getting all the main cast into place so they can have the battle later (which does not drag).

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

apparently the yub nub song is about power and how much they love fighting and killing things. ewoks are loving evil man. theyre super dark side

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh thanks for reminding me of the true biggest crime of the special editions

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

yeah its fuckin terrifying

Burns
May 10, 2008

The soundtrack is also dope as hell.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

zoux posted:

The death star thing was really an afterthought, they blew it up quite easily.

That's not a point in its favor. If anything that's a key reason why it's not as good as the other two. Blowing up the second death star drives a substantial portion of the plot but there's no gravity to it, especially when it exists in comparison to the original attack on the death star. The scenes on board are the big ones there but the other characters aren't connected to them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Tatooine sequence is just weird (and not good weird), and it goes on for loving forever. Luke trying to be a cool detached Jedi guy is cool, as is everything with him and Vader and the Emperor, and the space battles. Then there's the Ewoks.

It's OK.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ItBreathes posted:

That's not a point in its favor. If anything that's a key reason why it's not as good as the other two. Blowing up the second death star drives a substantial portion of the plot but there's no gravity to it, especially when it exists in comparison to the original attack on the death star. The scenes on board are the big ones there but the other characters aren't connected to them.

Yeah there's no reason the Emperor couldn't have just been on the Executor, or the final battle be a surprise attack on the Imperial capital world or something.

The scene where it starts sniping Rebel capital ships and Lando realizes just how loving screwed they are is pretty cool though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Palpatine conquered the galaxy so he'd never have to hear a nerd say 'but that's unnecessarily complicated' again

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's my personal favorite of the OT even though I think they're all very good and still worth watching decades later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational battle station hell yeah

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

C-Euro posted:

It's my personal favorite of the OT even though I think they're all very good and still worth watching decades later.

You know, same. ROTJ definitely has its problems but the highs, like badass Jedi Luke and the space battle and the speeder bike chase and Anakin's redemption, are so high that I'm willing to overlook a lot of the lows.

EDIT: man I'm getting hyped just thinking about the end of the speeder bike chase where Luke decides he's loving done playing around, busts out the lightsaber, and chops that bike in half while it's blasting past him at full speed :hellyeah:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 29, 2020

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The Tattooine segment is great. Saving your friend by kicking people into the giant sand vagina is cool and good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Tatooine segment in ANH also drags, so it's like poetry

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The rancor is cool. And all the aliens in the palace are also cool, even if they were made to sell toys.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Empire is still my favorite of the OT, but RotJ is really great still.

And yea, I liked the tattooine stuff. That's where cool hand Luke really shines.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I did really like the Ewoks as a kid, so mission accomplished there.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

The rancor is cool. And all the aliens in the palace are also cool, even if they were made to sell toys.

man if every new design is to sell toys then i would like to recommend some films you may like: star wars episodes 7 8 and 9

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

man if every new design is to sell toys then i would like to recommend some films you may like: star wars episodes 7 8 and 9

Did you not notice BB-88 plastered on literally everything or :thejoke:

E:

ANH was George not getting the Flash Gordon license, Empire was realizing there was a good thing going here, and Jedi was him realizing holding on to toy rights is the best thing he could have possibly done.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 29, 2020

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

no im making a backhanded comment about how the sequel designs are boring and i hate them. im just wondering why you keep going on about the selling toys thing. all of the star wars movies are about that

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

He leaned into it a lot harder for Jedi is all.

No disagreement on the design in the sequels.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no clean version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTMGaVT6BCI

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

it sounds like theres a sweet spot between not enough new designs and too much which is fair enough i guess

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a solid 6/10 like the rest of the OT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Thread stickied for three hours while we get to the damned problem