Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

reignofevil posted:

Thread stickied for three hours while we get to the damned problem

wow thats just enough time to watch the movie. you planned all of this all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cuntman.net posted:

no im making a backhanded comment about how the sequel designs are boring and i hate them. im just wondering why you keep going on about the selling toys thing. all of the star wars movies are about that

I don't really see how ANH was made to sell toys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It may not have been originally but they wanted to toyify it so bad after it was a hit they gave kids vouchers for action figures that hadn't been made yet

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

cuntman.net posted:

it sounds like theres a sweet spot between not enough new designs and too much which is fair enough i guess

I mean, l like 'em, they're cool designs and they flesh out the world a bit, but you can't help but feel Lucas only put so many of them in because he knew he could sell an action figure of them, not to serve any role in the movie. Same reason Han didn't die (according to Harrison Ford anyways). Just part of why Jedi doesn't feel as well crafted as the others.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Luke going NEVER and going apeshit on vader (incl the tense buildup) is some of the best and most raw saber action in the series, also one of the best soundtrack moments in the series

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I personally always considered RotJ my favorite in spite of the ewoks

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

I mean, l like 'em, they're cool designs and they flesh out the world a bit, but you can't help but feel Lucas only put so many of them in because he knew he could sell an action figure of them, not to serve any role in the movie. Same reason Han didn't die (according to Harrison Ford anyways). Just part of why Jedi doesn't feel as well crafted as the others.

i think the movie would have been worse off without them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

YOu don't have to say the forest moon every time, just say Endor.

Oh also growing up as an Evangelical Teen, one of the secret satanic things about SW was using the name "Endor"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

alnilam posted:

Luke going NEVER and going apeshit on vader (incl the tense buildup) is some of the best and most raw saber action in the series, also one of the best soundtrack moments in the series

:yeah:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's interesting when production limitations somehow result in excellent scenes, ala the Indiana Jones gun thing. David Prowse couldn't see poo poo in the DV mask so they didn't do any fancy choreography in the Throne Room scene and it's all the better for it. I'm not against fancy choreography but the saber poo poo in the third act rules

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Coming from watching empire strikes back there's a marked decrease in the quality of the cinematography imo

It has a lot of cool elements tho like luke being confident and using "dark side powers"
I also like how the throne room scenes are inconsequential to the rebels fight. Makes it more personal for luke and gives more agency to the rebels which is a stark contrast with ep 9's ending

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I love how Jabba was cruising along blasting that poo poo out at full volume across the dune sea. What a baller.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's two short movies playing one after the other with a little interlude where the characters discuss retcons. It feels like they were in a rush to wrap everything up. Who even bothers watching the first two-thirds of the film though, the big climax is where it's at and it's bad rear end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What retcons

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
RotJ has the same problem BttF2 has where the entire first third of the movie is spent returning everything to the status quo after the ending of the previous movie shook things up and then the entire last third of the movie is revisiting something we already saw in the previous movie, and in the middle it slams on the brakes to close up a bunch of open plot threads and explain the different retcons to the audience. It just isn't as well paced and doesn't bring as much new stuff to the table.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

zoux posted:

What retcons

The whole scene on Dagobah is "Is Darth Vader really my father? Hey Ben you told me Darth Vader wasn't my father! Yoda mentioned something about another Skywalker? Leia's my sister? Yikes!"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Mostly already covered, but the reason I rank it (albeit fairly closely) behind the other two is that the first act drags, the middle act really does jarringly slam on the brakes, and then there's that god awful bit of dialogue between Luke and Leia, and then Han and Leia on Endor, before he takes off to confront dad, that really should have been a warning sign to all to not let Lucas write any more dialogue ever again. It's AOTC level bad, and I'm guessing Fisher and Ford were too loving over it to bother re-writing it for him like they did for the earlier material.

I would have rather they shaved half off the Tatooine bit, maybe done Dagobah a little bit differently (especially Yoda's last couple of lines, sheesh), and maybe have had Ben say "yeah brass tacks I didn't want you running straight to daddy before you understood the dangers there, champ", instead of that lovely "certain point of view" line.

Ewoks weren't that bad, but I think of all the space battle scenes that probably got cut so they could include more TEDDY BEARS GO TO WAR scenes and it makes me a bit forlorn.

The loving throne room scene was amazing start to finish, the space based Battle of Endor stuff and the speeder bike chase are some of the best bits of cinema in the series.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

alnilam posted:

i feel like this tense action is let down quite a bit by vader just walking over to the rail and laying down to let luke wail on him and chop off his hand. he doesnt even get pushed or manipulated there, vader just sets it up himself. its not a satisfying end to the duel to me

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Vader was just tired

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He was so tired of all these star wars

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
little did he know.

roy beatty's monologue, but with "time to nap" at hte end

https://i.imgur.com/bVUvgjR.gifv

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Besides the story weaknesses, it has the worst shot composition and cinematography

Ewoks rule tho

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The movie looks like dogshit and is painful to watch back to back with ESB. Jabba's palace looks like a cheap TV set due to poor lighting and shot composition. Endor feels like it was shot on a soundstage even though they had an entire forest to work with. Though I have to say, the throne room has some good camera work and mood lighting, which makes you wonder why the cinematography for the rest of the film is so poor.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The movie looks like dogshit and is painful to watch back to back with ESB. Jabba's palace looks like a cheap TV set due to poor lighting and shot composition. Endor feels like it was shot on a soundstage even though they had an entire forest to work with. Though I have to say, the throne room has some good camera work and mood lighting, which makes you wonder why the cinematography for the rest of the film is so poor.

Did they use 2nd unit guys for the other stuff? I was under the impression they just filmed at one location then packed up and did the next etc for those films?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
No idea. I read some making-of stuff over a decade ago and the only relevant thing I can remember is that the DP was an old-school workaday type guy who was more concerned with shooting the film efficiently than doing anything innovative with the cinematography. This was good enough for both the director and Lucas, and they just let him do his thing.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
I think that the flaws that would later characterize the prequels were already obvious in RoTJ.

I get the feeling that Lucas didn't really understand why ESB was such a great movie, and tried unsuccessfully to ape it in ROTJ by just copying different elements of the film and reinserting it into a sequel. Like he watched the movie and took notes. "Oh hey, people like the reveal that characters are related to each other... who can I make related to each other in this film?" "Folks really seem to like the wise jedi thing, I better make all the jedi wise and inscrutable - certain... point of... view... done!"

The things folks like are similar to the things folks like from the prequels - lightsaber fights, things goin fast, space battles, etc.

I loved it as a kid, but it doesn't seem to have sustained its rewatches in quite the same way as ANH and ESB have for me.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think that every time things quiet down and characters stop to talk to one another, we're reminded that George couldn't write emotional language to save his rear end.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
ROTJ is the definitive Star Wars movie as far as I’m concerned

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

that really should have been a warning sign to all to not let Lucas write any more dialogue ever again. It's AOTC level bad

He didn't write that dialogue, Kasdan did, and he also had help writing the dialogue in AotC.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i like the tattooine stuff and then we get to endor and the speeder chase and holy lol the compositing is so bad it's baffling. everything just has a bright blue outline around it for some reason

space battle is pretty underwhelming too imo

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Raluek posted:

little did he know.

roy beatty's monologue, but with "time to nap" at hte end

https://i.imgur.com/bVUvgjR.gifv

I gotta say it's some pretty good swordfighting from a cinematic movie, all things considered. "Block this, block this, block this, block this, block this, WHOOP gently caress you I hit you from a different angle, ZZZT (remove hand from wrist with hateful downstroke)." Just give me that in other media platforms, goddamn. instead it's all sad ww2 actors firing a blank from their rifle, cringing, and then a nazi/japanese soldier slowly falls in the distance.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

It had the worst Lucas changes like the CGI singing aliens and force ghost Hayden

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RotJ is roughly 50% the absolute worst of the Lucas films and 50% the pinnacle of Star Wars. It does something utterly insane and delivers a satisfying ending on every level.

Then these garbage rear end sequels came into existence and I guess it just sucks all the way now

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I have a real problem believing that 2 logs swinging from rope vines could crush an AT-ST with durasteel armor plating. I mean, maybe the contractors cheaped out and made a lovely production line, but c'mon... logs? If you can be defeated by stone arrowheads and lumberworks then your empire is done. The game where they dismissed ewoks as stone-age primitives that should be no threat was right. Fortunately there are no modern examples of a technologically superior army being frustrated by a relatively low-tech, indigenous resistance.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

halokiller posted:

force ghost Hayden

gently caress this part so much

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Casu Marzu posted:

gently caress this part so much

The music number was worse, but only just.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Remember the last movie where Luke was so adamant about rejecting the dark side that he was willing to commit suicide rather than join it? Well what if we act like that didn't happen and instead spend like a third of the movie relitigating the idea that he totally could be tempted to become evil because, like, there's literally zero difference between committing planetary genocide and killing deep space hitler *cocaine noises*

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Remember the last movie where Luke was so adamant about rejecting the dark side that he was willing to commit suicide rather than join it? Well what if we act like that didn't happen and instead spend like a third of the movie relitigating the idea that he totally could be tempted to become evil because, like, there's literally zero difference between committing planetary genocide and killing deep space hitler *cocaine noises*

if i attempt suicide to escape my cocaine addiction and survive i'd still be addicted to cocaine

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

I get the feeling that Lucas didn't really understand why ESB was such a great movie, and tried unsuccessfully to ape it in ROTJ by just copying different elements of the film and reinserting it into a sequel. Like he watched the movie and took notes. "Oh hey, people like the reveal that characters are related to each other... who can I make related to each other in this film?" "Folks really seem to like the wise jedi thing, I better make all the jedi wise and inscrutable - certain... point of... view... done!"

Who was revealed to be related to someone else that wasn't alluded to or revealed in ESB? Vader as his father was revealed already, and Leah was alluded to already in the "there is another" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CainFortea posted:

Who was revealed to be related to someone else that wasn't alluded to or revealed in ESB? Vader as his father was revealed already, and Leah was alluded to already in the "there is another" line.

Leia being the "another" was a retcon. That line was put in ESB because there were concerns that Mark Hamill wouldn't re-up after the third movie and when they were making ESB there was still the plan to just keep making movies forever so they wanted to leave the possibility of a new unseen character that could be introduced to carry the series after him. But then Lucas decided ROTJ would be an ending point because of how stressful helming this huge blockbuster franchise was and what a strain it was putting on his marriage and personal life so they decided to tie off that loose end by making Leia his sister.

In ESB she wasn't written as his sister which is why they have the smooch and Luke is part of her love triangle with Han.