Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
i think it's interesting considering the dynamics in the middle because people who really do buy into either end of the relevant ideological spectrum (one side labelled "social darwinism", one side labelled "human rights, actually") are pretty much spoken for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I don't work on open source stuff directly or indirectly.

I support anyone who wants to put such terms in their OSS license because duh.

It's cool that lawyers and corps are concerned about OSS authors asserting their rights specified in license terms and it's amazing that that very very narrow bit of power can have literally any effect on a process where other lawyers have already decided "yeah gently caress the substantive and very important rights of these other people." I guess OSS authors are generally not dehumanized and have a place and value even in the social darwinist / fascist system of values and power.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
re: control and whether the relevant license terms have any effect, I think the effect is at least confronting whoever does license review with a question that, properly handled, requires getting a lawyer to internally pooh-pooh away the concerns

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Including the source zipped in your distribution is minimal, and I get paid if it gets used anywhere else, because that code becomes GPL.

username post combo? also I don’t think this makes sense, hth

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Anyone who uses my GPLed code pays by having to follow the GPL. If I consider other people's improvements and enhancements to my code fair payment, then by complying with the GPL they've paid me.

If it's important enough to me, I can pay the $250 to initiate a pro-se federal lawsuit and use the references on the software freedom conservancy to aid me.

dang.

edit: The filing fee is now $400, but po folks can have the fees waived.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The beauty of pro-se is that if you have time to show up in court, and the other party has to pay a lawyer you've already won.
the argument is that GPLed code pays for itself and I wonder if you’ve ever benefited in this way.

you might be more serious if you were talking about affero but lots of code is used by businesses without being redistributed.

“GPLed code pays for itself because if somehow I find a company in breach, I can waste my time and money and unless they (who probably have both much more time and money than me) waste their time and money, I might win some money- OR they could come back into compliance by releasing their (largely useless to anyone) code OR switching to something similar under a more permissive license OR choosing to reimplement the subset of functionality they need.”

if that pays off as a hypothetical cost-benefit analysis for you, go nuts. in my mind it still looks like donating effort to the benefit of companies, primarily large ones.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

maybe I completely misinterpreted the sense in which you meant your posts. by open source “paying” you, I was assuming that you meant a direct economic interaction or some sort of second or third hand economic interaction mediated by reputation/contribution

instead of the direct benefits of contributing to software that you and others want to exist

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
speaking of log4j, was this already posted?

https://dev.to/yawaramin/the-human-toll-of-log4j-maintenance-35ap

short read, okay points

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
“customer has nukes” sounds like a brag or an indirect way of saying “customer thinks they are super important but have an awful, bureaucratic internal culture”

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
good principle for all elements of life: anything you can achieve without involving nuclear weapons, even indirectly, is best achieved without involving nuclear weapons

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

marak squires has problems, yeah

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'd like to point out that this is what he decided to do after receiving mental health treatment.

… sounds like people itt know marak squires more personally than I do

e: yikes Twitter searches appear to deliver

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

rotor posted:

what I mean is that the 'ansi-red' package and left-pad and all the others are predictable outcomes of someone whose career is incentivized to have popular open source projects

cobra farms but for lovely single-liner js packages

this made me scurry over to the Wikipedia article for Goodhart’s Law, which has a bangin’ list of articles related to unintended consequences:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

rotor posted:

i like that despite only being three lines long, it still has a dependency

“the buck stops somewhere else”ism, an explosion of dependencies being taken as normal, and resume-driven development / “look at how many stars I have on github” driven development, too many different transpilers, a language gradually changing and causing even more fragmentation of “stylistic best practices”, plus major frameworks coming through and altering patterns of development: the story of why the node ecosystem sucks