Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i'm kinda starting to regret open sourcing that python script i wrote to scrape whitepages.com for addresses of people whose last name ends with a z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

"i'm not in it for the money"
- a former engineering director for capital one

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

i took it as meaning the customer is a government entity and can't offer a bounty because that's not how government contracts work

ofc that doesn't preclude the contractor from paying the bounty

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I really doubt that. It's been eight hours and I already forgot the guys name.

but have you offered him a job in the past eight hours

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Zamujasa posted:

perhaps people should use libraries with single ansi colors (1.1 million weekly downloads)

i try not to front on people for poo poo they give away for free, but that guy's contributions are an utter embarrassment

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rotor posted:

i feel like the pathological case of dependency management for node is really driven by Problem 3 aka using open source as a resume.

"Why yes I have many npm libraries, each with several million downloads each" [each one is a one-liner]

this is definitely a pathological case. there's a middle ground imo. i have open source poo poo that i put on my resume, and one of my projects was a reason i got my current job, but poo poo, i'd feel like an rear end in a top hat showing someone my npm package that imports a single ansi color. wtf

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rotor posted:

what I mean is that the 'ansi-red' package and left-pad and all the others are predictable outcomes of someone whose career is incentivized to have popular open source projects

cobra farms but for lovely single-liner js packages

i don't get the cobra farms reference but i don't think i disagree with you either

if "npm package with a zillion downloads" looks good on a resume to anyone at all, there are people who will optimize for it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

ty, makes total sense now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

i think there was a similar issue with a few gun buyback programs, where people got paid for bringing guns made of wood and duct tape