Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
probably the funniest thing about the js package breaking things is that at no point is any js developer going to take a moment to think about "wow, if one dude 57 dependencies down the chain can commit 'crash_app()' and it breaks thousands of builds everywhere, maybe we should be slightly concerned about an entire language built on the concept of implementing basic functions as open-source micro modules and the possibility of modules that are silently evil instead of just the obvious showstoppers"

i imagine that state actors love this ecosystem because all you really have to do is find one or two packages you can poke stuff into and you're tapped into millions of dumb apps

that said github locking the guy out of his own account is a pretty hearty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

akadajet posted:

his open sores claim to fame is a library with constants for ansi color codes

perhaps people should use libraries with single ansi colors (1.1 million weekly downloads)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if you really want a hearty lol there's always log-symbols

21,984,229 weekly downloads and 3,637 dependents

here it is:

code:
import chalk from 'chalk';
import isUnicodeSupported from 'is-unicode-supported';

const main = {
	info: chalk.blue('ℹ'),
	success: chalk.green('✔'),
	warning: chalk.yellow('⚠'),
	error: chalk.red('✖'),
};

const fallback = {
	info: chalk.blue('i'),
	success: chalk.green('√'),
	warning: chalk.yellow('‼'),
	error: chalk.red('×'),
};

const logSymbols = isUnicodeSupported() ? main : fallback;

export default logSymbols;

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

DaTroof posted:

i'd feel like an rear end in a top hat showing someone my npm package that imports a single ansi color. wtf

quote:

Related projects
ansi-reset
ansi-bold
ansi-dim
ansi-italic
ansi-underline
ansi-inverse
ansi-hidden
ansi-strikethrough
ansi-black
ansi-red
ansi-green
ansi-yellow
ansi-blue
ansi-magenta
ansi-cyan
ansi-white
ansi-gray
ansi-grey
ansi-bgblack
ansi-bgred
ansi-bggreen
ansi-bgyellow
ansi-bgblue
ansi-bgmagenta
ansi-bgcyan
ansi-bgwhite

why show one when you can show them all

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Bonfire Lit posted:

if (isUnicodeSupported()) { useUnicode(); } else { useDifferentUnicode(); }

the forums converted it to html entities, it appears as regular text in the code proper. that said i do wonder if the "non-unicode" ones actually work on not-unicode consoles considering that the check and cross marks aren't plain low ascii and presumably the file's encoding is utf8 since it's for console output

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Doom Mathematic posted:

He is the worst programmer that I'm aware of. It would be a net gain if all of his packages were scrapped from npm.

:hmmyes: