Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i think part of what i have trouble with is that individual oss devs would not necessarily align with what we’d consider ethical

consider the ‘angry at immigrants’ license: https://www.treefinder.de/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

the abstraction you learned at is bad, I learned at is good

i think there’s value in understanding lower level but better programmer feel is not worth dealing with a bespoke http server in every loving program

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rjmccall posted:

i get your argument about not giving stuff away to google and facebook for free

but those companies are not actually built on top of open-source software in any way that fits your narrative about having gotten big by exploiting massive free labor. when they heavily use open-source projects, they’re pretty much always huge contributors, assuming they didn’t start the project themselves. the alternative to open-source here is just that all of that work is fully proprietary to those same companies. google is perfectly capable of writing its own os instead of funding linux

fuschia lol

but in general im skeptical about restrictive licenses as a way to prevent unethical use of ur code because companies will reimplement, license an alternative, or steal as needed

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rotor posted:

This is completely correct. But you don't have to grease the wheels for them, and if you want to stop evil people from doing evil things then probably step zero is "stop helping evil people."

i dont disagree, but i have a hard time getting my head around what the follow-on effects would look like; im not just throwing sand into the gears of the me-palantir, but me-otherdev, otherdev-otherclient, etc.

‘stop helping evil people’ at the cost of ‘stop helping some non-evil people’ when the cost to evil people of me not helping evil people is low or nonexistent; but how much of helping non-evil folks ultimately benefits evil?

idk

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rotor posted:

So for individual hobbyists i think this entire thing is a nonissue. If you get your license revoked for whatever dumb reason you'll just do what everyone will: pirate it anyway because who gives a poo poo

for companies, it means that if they want some assurances then they'll have to pay money for it, or if the dev isn't willing to sell and they're not willing to do a cleanroom version then they'll have to hew to whatever moral standards the dev demands.

The entire open source movement has been, for some bizzare reason, entirely focused on the rights of the software consumer and I think it's weird as hell.

im thinking less about first order direct consumer effects but more about community, for lack of a better word-network effects.

i can license my ethical kubernetes alternative but if no one adopts it no one benefits from my work and I don’t benefit from publishing it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

over-funded vc-backed company mad that their open source product is getting used in the way
that impedes investor storytime changes license and drives everyone to use competitor’s fork, lol

let them fight, etc

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

per n-gate

quote:

Elastic is a hosting provider who thought they were a database vendor, and now they will be digested by hosting providers who are large enough to underwrite a database engineering team as a rounding error.

otoh elastic has a fifteen billion dollar market cap lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

posting thread to make rotors head explode:

https://twitter.com/_msw_/status/1469716143245967360?s=21

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rjmccall posted:

i figure we have another two or three years before it's common wisdom that everything about blockchain is a scam (which is not to say that there won't still be true believers). at that point there are going to be an awful lot of programmers with weird gaps on their resumes from 2019–2022

i wish that were true but yospos has been saying that for nearly a decade now and well

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

MononcQc posted:

https://twitter.com/fxcoudert/status/1476204806381395969

they may have nukes, but we didn’t get paid, so...

admiring the strict policy there.

on a nine figure procurement hpe can spend a few dollars to make nnsa happy

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Dudes' just a schmuck namedropping, who told his client they didn't need to buy a fortran compiler.

i can guess which procurement this is, and I can guarantee they’re paying orders of magnitude more for compilers than what they’d pay for a bounty

id bet they validated one of their forty year old go-boom code on gfortran a decade ago, or they need to have fma on all supported compilers before they can use it in the code

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

and hpe is not lacking in bureaucracy either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Would have been fun in the psych eval - "So this code that got saved in a doomsday vault, the one massive corporations are using to exploit you - we googled it, it's real, and it seems you did that for free?".

there’s a vignette in infinite jest about a psych patient going into a mri that i think about frequently