Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when I was a kid I went to space camp and there was a lecture by this old german dude [not von braun] and 10 years later when I was in college I was watching a history channel show about operation paperclip and dude who I saw at space camp's picture popped up on the screen and it blew my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

mozilla and the rest of netscape's offspring all deserve to die for loving up the web with javascript

counterpoint: competing scripting languages of the time had read-write access to the users' hard drive

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember in like 1999 there was a webpage that would eject cd drives on windows machines

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NecroBob posted:

Yes but how else will graphic/web designers justify their existence if they can't make your branding statement fly out from your monitor as you scroll down the screen and reiterate your core values as catchy animated bullet points

love that people blame designers for this and not coked out marketing executives

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a lot of early career designers get caught up in spec work or contests/bakeoffs to try to build out their portfolios

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the "someone who wants as many users as possible" model is the current default. any restrictive license will reduce the pool of potential people and orgs who would use it, but that's the point if you don't want palantir to fulfill ice contracts using tech you created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rjmccall posted:

it sounds like this dude did get recognized. itís just that he got recognized as a crazy idiot who nobody wants to employ. and that was before this latest poo poo

seems to me like the open source economy has provided a niche for shitlords who can't work with other people but are ok at touching computer to be temporarily useful