Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

abolish ice. also, npm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

It's the nodejs package manager and it's even worse and stupider than you would imagine given that

the only thing I've seen that's worse than npm was bower but that's a really high bar to reach.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

npm is github but it only hosts javascript people reference in production.

bower was literally just github

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lancemantis posted:

I remember how many devs I spent time around outside of work tended to always be front end types and they’d always be talking about bower and poo poo and I didn’t get wtf those things were supposed to do other than being examples of someone with too much time pasting over broken garbage

package managers for javascript. good idea in theory, badly executed and managed.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

I remember in like 1999 there was a webpage that would eject cd drives on windows machines

in aol chat you could type a command that would make everyone's a drive look for a disk and prompt a message if one wasn't inserted. made a bonus head motor noise

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and actually there was some something awful parody site thing that would eject the cd

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol if you think getting a Wikipedia page is an accomplishment

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

psiox posted:

what if we put consent on the blockchain

I think people have tried this.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmao at his meltdown
https://web.archive.org/web/20210628030444/https://marak.com/blog/2021-04-25-monetizing-open-source-is-problematic

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

https://twitter.com/VessOnSecurity/status/1480189534625320960

gently caress this rear end in a top hat, and not in the good way

ed: nevermind. you side with the meltdown guy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've used faker for some one off test type things. I wouldn't appreciate this guy putting malicious code in a dependency because he didn't like his npm fame.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

If you want dependable code, your company should pay for it.

lol if you think paying for code makes it dependable.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if you want to make companies pay for your open sores project do the old fashioned thing and license it under gpl and offer a commercial license

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lol this rules. hopefully some of these idiots learn not to use js

yeah the biggest problem with npm is the lovely people who contribute to it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

prisoner of waffles posted:

marak squires has problems, yeah

wait, is that seriously the same guy?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol nobody should be giving this whack job any money

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

it would be kind of maddening to be struggling with homelessness while knowing that many large companies rely on your software for day-to-day operations.

especially after neglecting your child and burning your house down preparing for a terrorism

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

something tells me this fella wasn't employable even if he didn't do open sores

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

I think repeatedly reminding industry that they should pay for open source support by crashing their poo poo constantly is far more likely to result in actual corporate dollars being funneled to maintainers than quietly just declining to participate in the system.

it just means the one or two problem idiots who do this poo poo will be banned from npm. oh look, that's what happened

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

there are better ways to "stick it to the man" than publishing malicious javascript dependencies

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

given the manner in which his house burnt down, I think he knew that too.

he took "direct action" against ever being employed again

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dude is a wannabe domestic terrorist who burned down his apartment trying to be the next boston bomber.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

his open sores claim to fame is a library with constants for ansi color codes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if you’re really upset about react just find an abandoned dependency it uses and offer to take it over