Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lancemantis posted:

I guess I'm just a person that's lost a lot of faith in institutions so maybe my thought patterns come off as weird

do you have faith in yourself to attempt to claw back what you've made from being used for evil, even if that attempt is ultimately unsuccessful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

abolish ice. also, npm.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont even know what npm is and i laugh every time somebody drags them

It's the nodejs package manager and it's even worse and stupider than you would imagine given that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

therefore, just merge my loving PR you nerd

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

Its basically impossible to prevent people from actively stealing your code and knowing they're stealing it. But making a lawyer say "we're not legally allowed to use this" is an 80% solution.

The problem is if the enforcement is "or we get sued" that does jack and/or poo poo for an individual

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Progressive JPEG posted:

there’s ambulance chasers for everything - if it’s a slam dunk case and you have no resources it’s possible to get someone to do it on commission

imo there are no slam dunks in software law because there aren't enough judges or jurors who actually understand what the gently caress is going on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Progressive JPEG posted:

I mean it’s not like busybox had a lot of money to kick the poo poo out of dozens of garbage hardware manufacturers, for example

though I'll admit I'm not that familiar with this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suffix posted:

looking forward to choose between the entirely incompatible israel and palestine supporting tech stacks

this exists and the dividing line is called ITAR

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think that dude is a nice developer who got poo poo on by lkml but I barely read it tbh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lancemantis posted:

oh so raytheon license then

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Progressive JPEG posted:

hippocratic license now has a v2.1 and has moved quite a bit from its “mit plus a clause or two” origins

it’s might actually be getting into the territory of not necessarily being a poison pill for commercial use, adding a bit about “Hague Rules on Business and Human Rights Arbitration” for arbitrating disagreements

one interesting thing, that doesn’t really relate to the ethics bits, is: “Licensee must cause any modified versions of the Software to carry prominent notices stating that Licensee changed the Software.”

You think anyone would commercially use that, when it reduces their right to force you into regular corporate arbitration?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suck my woke dick posted:

idgi

if the government is already doing evil by dronestriking people, then we should at least make it slightly less evil by making sure the drones are controlled using free and open source software :spergin:

what the gently caress is this title

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

~Coxy posted:

ConsenSys; your digital ecosphere for recording and validating affirmative consent.

yikes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i wouldn’t continue to post about doing that, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PCjr sidecar posted:

there’s a vignette in infinite jest about a psych patient going into a mri that i think about frequently

lol u read infinite jest