Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

i don't care OP, this whole campaign is super creepy tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

i wasn't really impressed with the attempt a few years back to pin the holocaust on ibm either

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

i decided over a decade ago that i wouldn't seek employment in military/police tech projects (which were plentiful in my area) which is fine because i think those jobs are mostly reserved for vets anyway. aside from that i'd rather eat than moralize

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

in before someone does another left-pad and breaks the world to screw palantir

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

what if the baby is hitler

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

"Let me die with the Phillistines!" *deletes left-pad.js*

e: looks like i already made that joke but wth, software development is for paying rent not making the world better

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 15, 2020

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

"he should have just quietly taken his project offline"

"why cant he just protest quitely somewhere no one will hear him?"
why can't he seek counseling instead of huffing qanon vapours and displacing his personal issues onto the industry

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

akadajet posted:

wait, is that seriously the same guy?
yes

https://twitter.com/marak/status/1320465599319990272

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

maybe set up and advertise a business entity that companies can pay for work done, regardless how it is licensed? something that this guy likely knew how to do as a startup founder

oh wait, that's something you'd do if you actually want to rise out of your predicament, not drag others into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

since we keep circling this i will try with less sarcasm: a lot of people keep getting told that they will reap real rewards from doing open source work. build a portfolio, make something useful and it is an inherent good, you will get recognized, the successful open source people do make money, etc. etc. and it is mostly bullshit. if everyone is a perfectly rational actor recognizing a supposed objective reality, sure, they're idiots for giving poo poo away to start with expecting anything. should just set up a entity charging for the work, sure. but a lot of people are getting lied to by a lot of people (and weirdly those groups overlap heavily).

which does not mean all open source is bad, or that this insane guy is good, but we at least shouldn't fool young people into devaluing their (and others) work.

e: also, this may not be everyones favorite angle on this, but imagine trying to actually organize labor in this industry with scabs already at work even before a strike starts.
yeah i agree with all this. there are ideological apparatuses that promote open source as a moral principle and others that promote goldbug/libertarian ideas among the alienated. this guy chose a path that others had a part in laying out, something to be regretted and not valorized