Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

to be fair, lots of software has value. it's just software that has strong open-source competitors that doesn't

this is not a counter argument, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ngl I think open-source contributions are one of those things that people think is necessary but generally aren't. in all the interviewing I've done, I've never made any sort of decision based on that. it's the same as having patents - cool if it's there, sure, but in no way necessary (or even important)

at least, I know that resume-building motivated a lot of my FOSS stuff, but realistically it didn't do a ton for me. conference presentations that came from FOSS tools I wrote probably did 10x more, and all they did was give me something to talk about.

my FOSS contributions (esp the ones they turned into conference talks) have forced me to learn poo poo that makes me a good candidate and enables me to do well on interviews, but the actual releases and contributions and stuff aren't the important part. the important part is that I know more about x than most people, not that I wrote a tool to exploit x

I generally agree with the paper, and generally think the argument re: devaluing is valid. I just don't think that it's sound. of course, it is certainly sound for some dumbass orgs - just not for the software industry as a whole, in my experience.

it's also worth mentioning that FOSS is a great way to learn things from people with experience. just _having_ problems to work on with built-in userbases is extremely helpful for people who want to learn. much more so than coursera or whatever.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

cobra farms but for lovely single-liner js packages

im gonna need to hear more about this analogy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks! i cottoned on to the meaning but really wanted the story behind it. did not disappoint

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MononcQc posted:

:siren: OSS DRAMA :siren:
https://pelock.medium.com/a-story-about-donations-to-open-source-project-asmjit-and-petr-kobalicek-30e8e907417

I PAID YOU 125 EUROS OVER SIX YEARS AS SPONSORED DONATIONS!! HOW DARE YOU TAKE DOWN THE NOTES ABOUT THAT WHEN I WAS USING IT AS AD SPACE?

The dude has been emailing corporate sponsors of the OSS maintainer to link to that blog post full of complaints.

oh my god i loving hate this writing style so much

im angry about writing