Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Look at the end of the day it was a good idea and an effective weapon that the empire must have spent a lot of money on. People complain like “oh another Death Star... How lazy” but realistically speaking they aren’t going to scrap the project just because the first one blew up. They’d been developing that thing for at least 22 years since you see designs for it in Attack of the Clones. They really going to just sack off 2 decades worth of work? The rebels didn’t prevent them from making more so they’re just going to patch the exhaust port try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i hate to admit it but starkiller base pretty much worked perfectly

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We didn't build just one aircraft carrier did we

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

We didn't build just one aircraft carrier did we

no we built hundreds. the death star is yamato class super battleships

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no we built hundreds. the death star is yamato class super battleships

a yamato battleship.....in space?? intriguing :thunk:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
op, I think the plural is deaths star

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I kind of liked the Death Star 2 because it's like, the Empire built a technological terror which got taken down by the Force, so they're like Well, OK then let's build an even bigger one that is even more scary

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean speaking with my BA hat on, it's not like the business requirement vanished the moment the first death star blew up. They still had the problem of keeping headstrong planets from defecting.

Now I know someone is going to pop up and say "But Base Delta Zero can accomplish the same thing with like 4 ISDs or one super star destroyer", but that's never really been discussed outside of the old EU. Despite it being a badass idea. Also, as demonstrated in Jedi, it would be possible to overwhelm even a super star destroyer with a decent sized fleet, and a bit of good luck. If a few relatively well developed civilisations decided to revolt, they'd probably be able to accomplish this.

The idea behind the (flawed) death stars was that once complete, no amount of cobbled together fleet of capital ships would be able to take it out. Leaving the reactor accessible to starfighter attack again was loving idiotic, but I guess they assumed the big rear end planetary shield they had pointed at it would hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The emperor's pork barrel spending on building a variety of planet destroying superweapons is all the justification you need, IMO.

The real dark side force power is kuat drive yards' lobbying and the space military industrial complex.

Why do you think TIE fighters don't have shields? Because that ensures there will be contracts to build more of them!