Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AT-ATs don't make sense, but are super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Isometric Bacon posted:

They need a movie which explains just how the gently caress those things are cargo carriers. Like they're tiny 2 person craft with lasers on the front and a spear on the back. Do they fire the speargun at cargo boxes and just pull them along at speed?

Yeah they basically just slapped some massive loving laser cannons on a dumbshit cargo lift, which weirdly enough there's some precedent for. Ragtag militias in the middle east use converted two-seater cargo vehicles with massive cannons all the time, they call em "technicals" although I'll grant you most of them probably don't have harpoon tow cables. (maybe)

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The AT-ATs weren't designed for combat, they were for Palpatine's mega CBT stomp sessions and he accidentally ordered 10000 instead of 1.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
you say that op but have you considered how epic they look on a t-shirt?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

zoux posted:

Hey guys if you had to pick one sci fi movie battle as the most recognizable and famous battle scene of all time, what would you pick

The flying monkeys attacking Dorothy

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

Starship Troopers 3 has the best soundtrack too imo

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
They're war elephants op

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Asimov posted:

e: as a young adult I remember reading a short story about an Imperial AT-AT pilot who developed the unorthodox tactic of kneeling down with his AT-AT when taking incoming fire, to minimize damage to the legs and increase stability. He got fired from his job because pointing out flaws is verboten in the imperial forces.

Yep, one of the Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina. I still have that book. That dude ends up being one of the troopers that shoots at the Falcon when it's taking off from Mos Eisley

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

say what you like about George Lucas, i'm very glad he didn't care. if AT-AT's don't make it, it sucks.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
do they jave to assemble the atats on the ground?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

a.lo posted:

do they jave to assemble the atats on the ground?

There are a few conflicting sources, but this bit of artwork is my absolute favorite because it's hilarious

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yep, one of the Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina. I still have that book. That dude ends up being one of the troopers that shoots at the Falcon when it's taking off from Mos Eisley

It's even dumber. He's the "Look sir, droids" guy. Also, he ends up sympathizing with Han/Luke/Obiwan trying to get away so he shoots his lieutenant or whatever in the back so they can get up the ramp and into the Falcon. It ends with him all ~~~I'm gonna help the rebellion from the inside~~~.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

PinheadSlim posted:

There are a few conflicting sources, but this bit of artwork is my absolute favorite because it's hilarious

All the stories I read had them just landing with a heat shield around their.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

zoux posted:

Hey guys if you had to pick one sci fi movie battle as the most recognizable and famous battle scene of all time, what would you pick

The dance-off from the end of the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Speleothing posted:

All the stories I read had them just landing with a heat shield around their.

the long legs are just so they can absorb the impact when dropped from orbit

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

PinheadSlim posted:

Me picking up my dog to put him on the bed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dudeness posted:

Me picking up my dog to put him on the bed.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

AT-AT walkers would have made all the difference in dealing with those Ewok bastards.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If at-ats are so dumb how come the rebels still lost at Hoth

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

If at-ats are so dumb how come the rebels still lost at Hoth

rebels objective on hoth was to escape with the majority of their dudes in one piece which they did, therefore they won :smug:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Chillgamesh posted:

rebels objective on hoth was to escape with the majority of their dudes in one piece which they did, therefore they won :smug:

"“We must be very careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
These might be dumb, but they look cool, which means they are good

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chillgamesh posted:

*pans over snowfield littered with rebel bodies and destroyed equipment*

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

SolarFire2 posted:

"“We must be very careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations."

Actually wars are won by saving what we love, which is kind of an evacuation.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

*pans over snowfield littered with rebel bodies and destroyed equipment*

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pick posted:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

as a handsome idiot i can attest that this works

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Pick posted:

My thought process every time I get back into Warhammer

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The dumbest part about AT-AT's is how much wasted real estate they have that could have been utilized. At the very least they could have had additional guns on the sides and/or especially an AA-turret on the top.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Even a tiny laser .50-cal on the bottom to shoot at Luke's trying to get in would have been an improvement

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

but an elephant doesnt have tusks in any of those places

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
An elephant also isn't 80% leg, some stylistic departures are expected

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
they're based on horses you fool

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

a horse doesnt have tusks in any of those places either!!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

So what do you call this then? Looks like a perfect place for an anti air turret to me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Up Circle posted:

So what do you call this then? Looks like a perfect place for an anti air turret to me.

:hmmyes:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If an AT-AT has four legs and an AT-ST has two, does that mean there's some kinda like... AT-RT that has three legs or something? What's the naming convention on these things.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Up Circle posted:

Looks like a perfect place for an anti air turret to me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Beet Wagon posted:

If an AT-AT has four legs and an AT-ST has two, does that mean there's some kinda like... AT-RT that has three legs or something? What's the naming convention on these things.

Sorry but the AT-RT (All Terrain Recon Transport) has two legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's also the AT-RT (All Terrain Riot Control Transport)

Which, obviously should be the AT-RCT, but you know how the EU is

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 8, 2020