Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody play this game? I just tried the Droideka last night, loving awesome, so much fun. They’re adding the little white cuck ball in a few days, that’ll be cool to have another rolly droid to play as.

I’m on PSN, and will start a list of gamertags if there’s interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked this game from the start, and love it now that they’ve patched out the loot box poo poo. The objective-based starfighter mode is especially great, nothing else quite like it out there. I’m on Xbox though

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I haven’t tried any of the starfighter modes yet...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm glad they have an entire mode that is Clone Wars only so I can roll around as a destroyer droid blasting clones.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I liked the single player campaign, and how it bridges some story elements between the OT and ST movies. Palpatine having a scorched earth policy just to punish the Empire if he dies is completely insane and totally a thing he would do.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Roman Reigns posted:

I liked the single player campaign, and how it bridges some story elements between the OT and ST movies. Palpatine having a scorched earth policy just to punish the Empire if he dies is completely insane and totally a thing he would do.

It is, especially considering he IDDNT JIEVNE DIE

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

:sigh: Yeah. It liked it better that it was the last act of vengeful spite from a lovely evil old wizard rather than "actually it was all part of a BIGGER plan after all!"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Roman Reigns posted:

Single player was cool but I wish you stayed on the imperial side for more than 3 missions

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

One complaint I have is that I wish there was a respite from the heroes instead of there being two active at once at all times.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

I haven’t tried any of the starfighter modes yet...

You’re missing out, it’s really fun. One side has unlimited respawns and an objective (or multiple) to defend, while the other has a certain number of spawns to use to destroy the objective. There’s multiple stages per map too, and it’s a 24-player mode that also has a bunch of bots so it’s chaos everywhere.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I loved the original Battlefront 2 and I saw some footage of someone playing as a droideka in this. I might get it

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I liked this game from the start, and love it now that they’ve patched out the loot box poo poo. The objective-based starfighter mode is especially great, nothing else quite like it out there. I’m on Xbox though

The starfighter modes should be the highlight of the game, but they did some really fucky nonstandard stuff with the controls and I just can’t wrap my head around where the yaw and roll are supposed to be vs every other flight sim game out there. I’ve played with the settings and each time I’m like yeah, this is it, and five seconds later my brain is just like nope, it’s fuckered.

Would love to see something like the old battlefront II where you had two capital ships that could be boarded and sabotaged in space.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

2house2fly posted:

I loved the original Battlefront 2 and I saw some footage of someone playing as a droideka in this. I might get it

It seems to go on sale pretty frequently.

If you get it, I recommend watching this user’s videos, especially the new player guides:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3gda9uFD2hIS7kgkoQmJDA

There’s a lot of stuff the game doesn’t really explain, like how to level up your characters without getting wiped out by veteran players (play co-op) and how to best play the different classes and heroes.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Picked this up a bit ago and my favorite class are the enforcers. The Rep Commando and the Superbattle Droids are fun as hell on Capital Supremacy.

Also the Droid general is the best voice in your head.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I love the Republic Commando. They even have their own unique ammo mechanic and reload animations to more closely match the 2005 Republic Commando game lol

Imperial Death Troopers are my favorite class though, they look loving cool and their LMG just absolutely shreds everything in front of you

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKPbf7Wfys

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
picked it up for $15 for pc on a game key store last week. it's fun! not a big fan of heroes though in the 40 player game modes though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Roth posted:

One complaint I have is that I wish there was a respite from the heroes instead of there being two active at once at all times.

this. a 40 player game mode where you dont have to worry about a couple jedi completely wrecking your team's poo poo as you're trying to cap an objective would be nice.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i will say i definitely miss aspects of the original battlefront. like how on the geonosis map you could pilot the hailfire droid or homing spider droid or play as a geonosian.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
You can kill the heroes, or escape from them. I think it’s cool. And there’s nothing more badass than a 10-second showdown where Obi-Wan thinks he can block all of your Droideka’s shots AND cover the distance, but then you activate overcharge and win the battle of attrition mere meters before he gets into attack range.

Also, you should level up your own heroes in co-op, then you’ll be able to go toe-to-toe with the enemy heroes in PvP. It’s impossible to level them up from scratch in the PvP modes. The only problem is that they don’t have an OT co-op mode currently, but I think that’s coming in February or March, with Scarif.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
oh i know you can kill heroes or escape them they're just a huge pain in the rear end especially the lightsaber wielders.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Darkman Fanpage posted:

oh i know you can kill heroes or escape them they're just a huge pain in the rear end especially the lightsaber wielders.

Oh for sure. That’s when you respawn as a hero and take them out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just miss when heroes weren't a thing in the very first game or just a temporary power up in 2. I feel like it takes away from the whole "Play as the common trooper" thing when I can just spawn as one of 20 heroes.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Roth posted:

I just miss when heroes weren't a thing in the very first game or just a temporary power up in 2. I feel like it takes away from the whole "Play as the common trooper" thing when I can just spawn as one of 20 heroes.

Yeah. I loved in the very first Battlefront how the heroes were AI driven. It made for great 'oh gently caress, it's Vader! - let's get the gently caress out of here!' moments.

Of course, being 2003ish era multiplayer ai they were rather comically easy to avoid, or would hang around non-strategic command posts, or even air juggle in a silly fashion as you pounded round after round of AT-AT blasts at them, but the concept is cool.

This game is entirely to focused on microtransactions and incentives for people to play star wars dressups though for it to not be a thing any more. Plus I think I'm in the minority - most people want to swing a lightsaber around and fly around spastically.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The AI in those old games was comically bad. Still have fond memories of trying to land boarding parties in the space maps only for the AI to then try to take off and end up crashing in the wall.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Roth posted:

The AI in those old games was comically bad. Still have fond memories of trying to land boarding parties in the space maps only for the AI to then try to take off and end up crashing in the wall.

yeah the old games don't really hold up because they're trivially easy until you get randomly murdered by a lucky grenade or sniper. they were the absolute poo poo when i was 12 though

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i tried this because i got a month of origin access whatever for turning on 2FA

ended up buying it for $11 and i think i've got 80 hours in it. its fun

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
BB-8 and BB-9E are out today. I haven't tried the evil one, but they seem to be pretty dangerous little droids.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

BB-8 and BB-9E are out today. I haven't tried the evil one, but they seem to be pretty dangerous little droids.

they loving rule, really. watching a vader and a kylo get backed up by a BB-88 they don't know how to counter is pretty loving hilarious and the Reveal Enemies thing that BB-9E has is crazy good too

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
How bad is the BF2 online community in terms of trouncing noobs? I'm lousy at twitch FPS gameplay and I don't subscribe to PS4 online services, but I love the idea of starfighter multiplayer.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
it's definitely hard starting out, but if you want a quick way to level up your classes you can play the coop modes.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MJP posted:

How bad is the BF2 online community in terms of trouncing noobs? I'm lousy at twitch FPS gameplay and I don't subscribe to PS4 online services, but I love the idea of starfighter multiplayer.

Well, no one’s going to yell at you for playing badly or anything, the big game modes are 40-player so you just blend in with all the other people running around. And since it’s objective-based you can still contribute to the team even without getting any kills. But I don’t think it’s too bad anyway.

If nothing else, the starfighter mode is full of bots so you’ll still rack up a bunch of kills

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Got an SSD and it's so nice to play this game without having to wait for it to load for 10 years.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

MJP posted:

The progression system is kind of poo poo in that there are literally upgrades for 'does more damage' and 'take less damage' - so it can be a bit frustrating early on as you level up and constantly get blown up by people with max upgrades.

That said, the game is that fast and hectic that you're practically right back into it afterwards, so it doesn't stay frustrating for all that long.

They had a triple experience point weekend last weekend though and I just played a bunch of co-op (which is actually good, and fun) and managed to level up most of the standard soldiers to max out the star cards that I use.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Also the blasters you unlock for the different classes generally vary wildly. The second gun for assault is a 3 round burst and is almost a sniper rifle for how accurate it shoots. The next gun after is basically a 100 shot smg that can't hit anything beyond 30 feet.

Also after a few levels you can start swapping out gear. My assault rocks improved thermal detonators, the vanguard, and my dart is replaced with a med stim.

BB-8 is an rear end in a top hat. I spent a whole game once as flame troopers trying to torch the little poo poo.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Do they still have paid loot boxes?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

MJP posted:

Do they still have paid loot boxes?

nope. the only thing you can spend money on is credits with which to buy cosmetics. you can also buy the anniversary edition which has every cosmetic, for i think $35. they also give you a fuckton of credits just for buying the game, enough to buy several Legendary cosmetics

to asnwer some of the noob difficulty questions- no, BF players are not cool to new players. they will gleefully push your poo poo in. all the guides say to do the offline, then co-op, then work up to the big battles. if you've played a BF game before, though, don't worry- stick with your squad, PTFO- and respawn times are in the range of 5 seconds so there's not a huge punishment for dying

edit: playing on PC btw. Origin is Son0fADiddly (that's a zero)

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 7, 2020

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

boar guy posted:

nope. the only thing you can spend money on is credits with which to buy cosmetics. you can also buy the anniversary edition which has every cosmetic, for i think $35. they also give you a fuckton of credits just for buying the game, enough to buy several Legendary cosmetics

to asnwer some of the noob difficulty questions- no, BF players are not cool to new players. they will gleefully push your poo poo in. all the guides say to do the offline, then co-op, then work up to the big battles. if you've played a BF game before, though, don't worry- stick with your squad, PTFO- and respawn times are in the range of 5 seconds so there's not a huge punishment for dying

edit: playing on PC btw. Origin is Son0fADiddly (that's a zero)

I will add tags to the OP, so maybe we can squad up and wreck some pubbies? Having even one friend on your squad to coordinate with can make a huge difference, especially in Heroes Vs. Villains.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

so maybe we can squad up and wreck some pubbies?

:hai:

(but then someone besides me will know how bad i am)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Hell yeah, psn dudes whats up. I haven't played this game since the first major overhaul, but I do remember enjoying it for its mindless shooter qualities, and other than the controls, the starfighter battles. psn is fresh420prince, definitely more than willing to join in with other people.