Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Apparently, there is a Neuromancer movie in development. It was off and then back on and there doesn't seem to be much news about it. Tim Miller of Deadpool fame is supposedly doing it as his next project following Terminator: Dark Fate (which I haven't seen).

I just re-read the original book and part of me just wants it to stay as that. Gritty cyberpunk hellworld corporate future seems more and more realistic. I just think that actual Space Rastas on the big screen is going to seem super lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
No. I feel like there isn't anyone working today who could handle the material well.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Denis Villeneuve? Maybe lets see how Dune does first.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

You don't really need Villeneuve for a project like Neuromancer. He will work well with Dune because he's good at taking these internal stories and making them breathe. So much of Dune takes place inside the character's heads, which is where the Lynch film falls short. The book Dune actually has a pretty straightforward narrative but Lynch obscures and omits things to the point that the film can be hard to follow.

Neuromancer reads like an action novel or film noir. Christopher Nolan could be good. He did Inception which is basically Neuromancer but "Dreams" instead of "Sense/Net" .

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

No, you want a Necroscope movie.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Paddyo posted:

It's going to own like all his other movies

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I want Johnn Mnemonic 2.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I want a Bridge Trilogy mini-series. Also, a pony.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

I want Johnn Mnemonic 2.

I want ROOM SERVICE!!!!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
No there should be no cyberpunk anything because it'll just rub our nose in the fact that instead of being sexy cool and dangerous, the dystopian future turned out to be stupid boring and morbidly obese.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

If Netflix did a Titus Crow miniseries it would be a thing people watch and there would be memes about THOSE OF US WHO READ THE BOOKS because loving nerds ruin everything.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It might be good but I'm horrified of the thought of just how bad a 'written by committee directed by a person who's never read a book and edited into oblivion to appease Chinese censors' Neuromancer will be.

At best it'll be decent but ignored by most and get dismal box office performance because nobody will go see a loving movie anymore unless it has a Marvel or DC or Star Wars superhero in it.

Speaking of cyberpunk movies that got dismal box office numbers here's as good a place as any to let you all know that Battle Angel was surprisingly good and worth watching.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ghost in the shell movie was pretty loving bad I tell you hwat

Lemon
May 22, 2003

It's basically just a heist story so get the dude who directed Ronin

naem
May 29, 2011

Salem Saberhagen posted:

No. I feel like there isn't anyone working today who could handle the material well.

that Cyberpunk 2077 game looks like it might hit the visual aesthetic of these books pretty well

but yeah the grimdark reality of 2020 stinks

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

check this out

the black hole remake

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Instead of neuromancer why not a Burning Chrome movie? About a fabulously gay guy who willingly gets turned into a 2D ad.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What color is the sky

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What color is the sky

static

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What color is the sky

When the book came out? Weird greenish-grey-almost-black.

Nowadays? Bright, brilliant blue.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Lemon posted:

John frankenheimer rules but has also been dead since 2002.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

EvilJoven posted:

Battle Angel was surprisingly good and worth watching.

That was an optical illusion caused by movie magic. It was no where near as terrible as any reasoning conscious being was expecting, yes. The shock of it being not total garbage then created the illusion of it being good. It was not.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Lemon posted:

Ronin is loving so loving awesome

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Frankenstyle posted:

That was an optical illusion caused by movie magic. It was no where near as terrible as any reasoning conscious being was expecting, yes. The shock of it being not total garbage then created the illusion of it being good. It was not.

:wrong:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

numberoneposter posted:

I want Johnn Mnemonic 2.

Hollywood would have to dump a chunk. :airquote:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
The sky was the color of a monitor
tuned to a dead forum

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I want one

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Why not, it will suck rear end and everyone who watches everything anyway will go see it, so like who cares.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What color is the sky

THE SKY ABOVE THE PORTWAS THE COLOR OF TELEVISION TUNED TO A DEAD CHANNEL

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Julius CSAR posted:

Ronin is loving so loving awesome

:hmmyes:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

A Grand Egg posted:

Why not, it will suck rear end and everyone who watches everything anyway will go see it, so like who cares.

I kinda care, but a lovely movie adaptation isn't going to detract from the enjoyment and entertainment that Gibson has brought me otherwise. Sounds like you've got a great outlook on life though.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

only if they keep the ganja space station in

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Battle angel Alita movie sucked. HARD.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Paddyo posted:

:hellyeah:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Nah, Gibson himself has surpassed it several times and anything novel it gave us has been absorbed into cliche.

I’m cautiously excited for The Peripheral TV show.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

John frankenheimer rules but has also been dead since 2002.

Train an AI on his movies and get that to direct it

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I actually do want this

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Neuromancer: I cast a spell of darkness at the gazebo

GM: Oh gently caress you

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Necroscope could work if the director goes all in with the two-fisted pulp angle, anything else would be terrible.
I'd actually rather have some of the Blue Ant books done as movies, they're way more interesting Gibson stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mirage posted:

When the book came out? Weird greenish-grey-almost-black.

Nowadays? Bright, brilliant blue.

I like how the march of progress completely reversed the sentence's meaning.