Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

He was calling out Ragin' Al, so if he's not happy about it, I guess not him :shrug:

Yeah I mean at #14 he's probably happy to fight anyone ranked above him, wonder if it's Alex Hernandez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Wow I totally forgot Hernandez knocking out Dariush. His only fight I remember was Cowboy smoking him.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brut posted:

Yeah I mean at #14 he's probably happy to fight anyone ranked above him, wonder if it's Alex Hernandez.

him being Mad Online makes me think he's going to be fighting someone unranked

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

him being Mad Online makes me think he's going to be fighting someone unranked

Drew Dober?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brut posted:

Drew Dober?

that would make a lot of sense. the only other unranked guy who I could think of being in the conversation is Taisumov? is David Teymur still around? Islam being extremely mad about having to do that fight would make a buncha sense.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I woke up the other night for no apparent reason, and the first thought that coalesced in my mind was, "I haven't heard about Dan Henderson in a while. What the gently caress is he up to?"

Anyone know? I could use the Google machine, but I'd rather ask goons.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He did some Submission Underground stuff I think, apart from that he's just enjoying his retirement, grilling on the deck with his family.

Speaking of people who should be doing that

https://twitter.com/DominickCruz/status/1232787637724823552?s=19

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 27, 2020

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I look forward to seeing his bones literally dissolve into dust in front of our eyes

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cruz hasn't been in the octagon for 3 full years.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BlindSite posted:

His ligaments have waited 96 years for this chance tho

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

BlindSite posted:

So you're telling me he has been conserving energy for 3 full years???

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
First it was some drunk family friend, now it's an airbag
https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/2/12/21135277/hawaii-police-investigating-b-j-penn-for-dui-after-accident-family-rep-responds

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
KO (airbag)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ahh ze airbag is ze toughest challenge of my cah-reer

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Memento posted:

He did some Submission Underground stuff I think, apart from that he's just enjoying his retirement, grilling on the deck with his family.

Speaking of people who should be doing that

https://twitter.com/DominickCruz/status/1232787637724823552?s=19

Is Dominick Cruz still a big draw? He hasn't fought in 3 years, he hasn't won in 4, and he's only won 4 fights as a champion in the UFC. The last time he fought was right around when the UFC was sold, an entire term of a US presidency. I feel like far more people would recognize him as a commentator now than as a fighter.

I didn't really watch WEC and I wasn't watching UFC as much when he was champ though, so maybe I'm underestimating how much recognition he would have.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

piratepilates posted:

Is Dominick Cruz still a big draw? He hasn't fought in 3 years, he hasn't won in 4, and he's only won 4 fights as a champion in the UFC. The last time he fought was right around when the UFC was sold, an entire term of a US presidency. I feel like far more people would recognize him as a commentator now than as a fighter.

I didn't really watch WEC and I wasn't watching UFC as much when he was champ though, so maybe I'm underestimating how much recognition he would have.

I watched a ton of WEC in his heyday and he was known, but not as known as the other WEC champs and known faces like Aldo, Faber, Bendo, Pettis, Mike Brown (arguably, given all his title shots), Cub Swanson, Jens Pulver...running out of steam here, but thinking back on all the tinypunchmen on the blue canvas, those are the guys I followed the most. Dom was more of a second tier champ to me. His rivalries with Faber were pretty spicy, but it always seemed like Faber was the A-side and Dom wasn't, even when Dom had the belt.

I mean, it was impressive when he came back from knee surgery and actually won again right away, but other people have done that since.

Dom's time has passed.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
looking forward to earning tens, if not hundreds, of dollars after i bet everything i own on yoel romero beating adesanya

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
If you win, can I have $10?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The appeal in watching Dom is in the mystery of whether he'll be completely broken when he gets to the ring. His record looks amazing on Wikipedia so long as nobody looks closely.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

looking forward to earning tens, if not hundreds, of dollars after i bet everything i own on yoel romero beating adesanya

Considering Romero hasn't done a wrestle in like... forever. This is a bad bet.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Considering Romero hasn't done a wrestle in like... forever. This is a bad bet.

he’s going to win

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

I.N.R.I posted:

Speaking of betting on Adesanya/Romero, can I challenge someone to an avatar bet? As in we bet on who wins and the loser buys the winner an av?

Im betting on Izzy btw.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

CommonShore posted:

The appeal in watching Dom is in the mystery of whether he'll be completely broken when he gets to the ring. His record looks amazing on Wikipedia so long as nobody looks closely.

Yeah I have anti Dom feelings, but after he came back from 3 years and beat the tar out of Mitzugaki, that ruled.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nothing But Hate posted:

Speaking of betting on Adesanya/Romero, can I challenge someone to an avatar bet? As in we bet on who wins and the loser buys the winner an av?

Im betting on Izzy btw.

I'm not taking that bet. However i am convinced beyond all reasonable doubt that yoel is going to win

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

I'm not taking that bet. However i am convinced beyond all reasonable doubt that yoel is going to win

I mean did you guys see that backflip??

Something I noticed about MMA fans, which makes discussion so much fun, is that there is never any real consensus on anything. Is Jon Jones actually the best ever, can Conor beat Khabib (no), who should retire, is this guy over the hill, should this division be closed down, should judging/usada rules be updated, etc. But the one thing that has been 100% consistent in my observations- whether it's here on SA, YouTube comments, twitter people with and without conor mcgregor avatars, and even longform articles penned by respected industry insiders and mma legends is that Henry Cejudo, in any context, is cringey as gently caress.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

I.N.R.I posted:

wrong. also he has to make weight first

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

better yet did you see that fight with costa ._. did anyone in this thread notice when he went "look over there" to costa in like round 1 or maybe 2 and then costa actually fell for it and yoel dropped him. that was the best mma moment i've ever seen

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

better yet did you see that fight with costa ._. did anyone in this thread notice when he went "look over there" to costa in like round 1 or maybe 2 and then costa actually fell for it and yoel dropped him. that was the best mma moment i've ever seen

I didn't notice it during the fight but I saw someone tweet a clip of it the other day, good poo poo.

"Can Conor beat Khabib" isn't some hypothetical question, we've seen it and the answer is hell no.

Cejudo sucks.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Brut posted:

I didn't notice it during the fight but I saw someone tweet a clip of it the other day, good poo poo.

"Can Conor beat Khabib" isn't some hypothetical question, we've seen it and the answer is hell no.

Cejudo sucks.

It brings me no joy to inform you of this. But Henry Cejudo is the greatest combat sports athlete of all time.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

beep by grandpa posted:

Something I noticed about MMA fans, which makes discussion so much fun, is that there is never any real consensus on anything. Is Jon Jones actually the best ever, can Conor beat Khabib (no), who should retire, is this guy over the hill, should this division be closed down, should judging/usada rules be updated, etc. But the one thing that has been 100% consistent in my observations- whether it's here on SA, YouTube comments, twitter people with and without conor mcgregor avatars, and even longform articles penned by respected industry insiders and mma legends is that Henry Cejudo, in any context, is cringey as gently caress.

I hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but fightsports are a strange and arbitrary thing cause it's just a handful of dudes punching each other a couple of times a year, at the most. There's no natural rankings or pecking order and predicting any given matchup involves a ton of speculation. As opposed to pretty much any other sport where you look at the other 50 times a team/someone has played in a season and check where they're sitting in the rankings. And even when you've seen a fighter do their thing a ton, maybe they've changed their camp/training style over the last 6 months and they come out looking totally different for their latest fight. Super high variance.

The only thing we can ever agree on is which fighters are the coolest (probably Mark Hunt).

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

piratepilates posted:

Is Dominick Cruz still a big draw?...

I feel like far more people would recognize him as a commentator now than as a fighter.

That why it will be cool, like when Gordon Ramsey does a cooking challenge on Masterchef to prove he's not just a commentator.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1233339049580081152

Undefeated vs undefeated.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Brut posted:

i still want to see a rematch cos if u ask me hes ran khabib closer than anyone else has. which is not to say the fight was close whatsoever. i personally think ferguson hasnt even got a punchers chance

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
and theres no denying his ability to close gaps when it comes to preparing for specific opponents. nate 1 vs 2 was like night and day and its easy to say like, well, nate should have been easy for him to begin with. but for someone who struggles with cardio to go 5 rounds with nate is an impressive adjustment

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I.N.R.I posted:

i still want to see a rematch cos if u ask me hes ran khabib closer than anyone else has. which is not to say the fight was close whatsoever. i personally think ferguson hasnt even got a punchers chance

Al’s fight with Khabib was closer.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

He did well compared to most of Khabib’s opponents. He also cheated his rear end off. I’d like it if Khabib never gives him a rematch. Boy that’d sure crack me up.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Figueiredo missed weight, so only JoeB will be eligible to win the vacant title.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

nate 1 vs 2 was like night and day

It really wasn't.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Figueiredo missed weight, so only JoeB will be eligible to win the vacant title.

Holy gently caress lol. Every time this happens I'm praying for the guy who missed weight to win just so that we have a memorable mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Holy gently caress lol. Every time this happens I'm praying for the guy who missed weight to win just so that we have a memorable mess.

Probably not gonna happen with this one.