Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Masvidal's sub defense is top notch, but his TDD is only adequate. His game does lend itself to getting controlled to a decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

actually masvidal's power level is entirely driven by the level of belief in him from his followers

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'll admit I'm just annoyed because I have to listen to tons of people at work who claim to be "very" into MMA asking me if I've seen this new up and comer George Masvidal. Then again I also work with a guy who will angrily insist that Brock Lesnar is still HW champ and that I need to pay more attention to the sport it I want to claim to be a fan. This thread is the only place I know where I can be like, "remember when Justine Kish poo poo herself" and everyone is like :hmmyes:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Untrustable posted:

I'll admit I'm just annoyed because I have to listen to tons of people at work who claim to be "very" into MMA asking me if I've seen this new up and comer George Masvidal. Then again I also work with a guy who will angrily insist that Brock Lesnar is still HW champ and that I need to pay more attention to the sport it I want to claim to be a fan. This thread is the only place I know where I can be like, "remember when Justine Kish poo poo herself" and everyone is like :hmmyes:

What the gently caress kind of place do you work? :stare: At computer touchers dot com, I had a half dozen people come high five me over my Affliction: Banned poster in my first week.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I seem to recall multiple of Masvidal's split losses were horseshit too. He's really good I think, especially now that he's made the decision to be more aggressive.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I seem to recall multiple of Masvidal's split losses were horseshit too. He's really good I think, especially now that he's made the decision to be more aggressive.

If they weren't horseshit they were really close iirc.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

At the time I thought Masvidal was gonna get the nod over Maia. He was doing all the damage defending well against all the grappling Maia tried. He would lose position but was never in danger.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Brut posted:

All 6 of his UFC losses are decisions, 4 of them split.

that's a crazy stat.

general question for the more trivia minded or better at computers, is there anyone in the ufc now with more split decision losses/wins on their record?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

that's a crazy stat.

general question for the more trivia minded or better at computers, is there anyone in the ufc now with more split decision losses/wins on their record?

Nah I think he has the most split losses.

Most split wins ever is Gleison Tibau with 5

Tied for second is Rashad Evans, Benson Henderson, and John Howard with 4

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

With the title fight looming, I'd just like everyone to remember that win or lose, Dominick Reyes is pretty drat cool.
Reyes vs OSP

Reyes vs Cannonier

Reyes vs Weidman

Reyes vs. Jordan Powell

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The UFC put up a vid of "Iconic Moments in Houston" and Serra beasting GSP lead it off and yeah I'd love for that kinda upset (to a lesser degree here) to happen again.

Also Jones looked pissed off a few times while talking with Reyes at a press conference and again on the countdown when he talked about him.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 5, 2020

Caption Yaypants
Jun 12, 2013
Masvidal is a mediocre fighter and is annoying. I hope Snoozeman wrestle fucks him and then he whines that it isn’t real fighting like a Diaz.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Caption Yaypants posted:

Masvidal is a mediocre fighter and is annoying. I hope Snoozeman wrestle fucks him and then he whines that it isn’t real fighting like a Diaz.

Colby, is that you?

Caption Yaypants
Jun 12, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Colby, is that you?

At least Colby is a pretend thug. The Bisping thing and the Leon thing. Mouthing off to Bisping is okay for him to do, Leon says something and he sucker punches him. He’s trash.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Reyes is one of the few guys in the division who both looks sharp, and isn't wildly outranged by Jones. So I'm looking forward to the fight and will be crushed when Reyes loses.

Edit: Loses and its not even close

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Caption Yaypants posted:

At least Colby is a pretend thug. The Bisping thing and the Leon thing. Mouthing off to Bisping is okay for him to do, Leon says something and he sucker punches him. He’s trash.

You're acting like a little bitch right now.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I dont subscribe to the theory that Jones just doesnt try to fight very hard when he doesnt have to. I think he is such a weird interpersonal fuckup with inconsistent commitment to training that he has lovely performances sometimes, like when he had a razor thin split decision to a one legged Thiago Santos or he was too scared OSP was gonna spread his butt cheeks and lick his b hole so he didnt fight.

It is a lame thing to have to hope for, that Jones was just underprepared and coked out and this time it made the difference. But I also think that if Santos was healthy or the fight was for Brazilian judges then the curse would have been broken last July, so who knows.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
i bet it will be wild as hell for both jones and reyes to be fighting someone who isn't a former or future middleweight

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
im appalled by a professional fighter being prone to violence

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I'm gonna say I don't want Jones to lose the title by a close decision, like if someone 49-46s him or better then fine but if he loses because potentially some judge is an idiot, even if it only seems plausible, we'll never hear the end of it.

I still believe Johnny Walker will be LHW champion, but it's possible he might be too late to catch Jones.

Caption Yaypants
Jun 12, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You're acting like a little bitch right now.

You gonna throw a dolly in a vehicle l’m in? In the back of the arena it would have been concrete. If he knocked him out he could have smacked his head on the ground.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Caption Yaypants posted:

You gonna throw a dolly in a vehicle l’m in? In the back of the arena it would have been concrete. If he knocked him out he could have smacked his head on the ground.

What are you even talking about?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brut posted:

He's saying, hypothetically, if Masvidal had knocked Edwards out cold, Leon could have bonked his head on concrete

Which, to me, just goes to show that Jorge is not the kind of dude to step to without contemplating the possibility that he's just gonna throw hands

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brut posted:

I believe he’s blending the Conor bus incident and the Masvidal/Edwards scuffle, but imagine not sure why.

Bluedeanie posted:

I dont subscribe to the theory that Jones just doesnt try to fight very hard when he doesnt have to. I think he is such a weird interpersonal fuckup with inconsistent commitment to training that he has lovely performances sometimes, like when he had a razor thin split decision to a one legged Thiago Santos or he was too scared OSP was gonna spread his butt cheeks and lick his b hole so he didnt fight.

It is a lame thing to have to hope for, that Jones was just underprepared and coked out and this time it made the difference. But I also think that if Santos was healthy or the fight was for Brazilian judges then the curse would have been broken last July, so who knows.

Maybe, but I think it’s more likely that he wants to use his pool noodle arms to outpoint guys now that he hasn’t lost in a million years and any KO would seriously tarnish his legacy.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Friends I appreciate your efforts but I wanted the incoherent individual to explain themselves as that would be immensely funnier.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

man mma really gets some dudes juices goin and i looooooooove da juice

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Caption Yaypants posted:

Youre my favorite kind of mma fan. The really unfun and lame kind

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think I'll be happy this weekend as long Reyes manages to not look as utterly helpless as Anthony Smith did. I like Anthony Smith but that was just... yeesh.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Angela hill vs Loma Lookboonmee confirmed for UFC Auckland later this month. Will Angela Hill fight 12 times this year? Maybe.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Usman's fight vs. Covington was good and I appreciated him ending the terrible reign of Tyron Woodley.

Looking back, Woodleys reign wasn't actually that bad, he had a good fight against Till and his knockout of Lawler to win the title was clean. It's just that those fights vs. Wonderboy were so soul-crushingly terrible that it blots out everything else in my mind.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Angela hill vs Loma Lookboonmee confirmed for UFC Auckland later this month. Will Angela Hill fight 12 times this year? Maybe.

loving sick fight holy poo poo.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vengarr posted:

Usman's fight vs. Covington was good and I appreciated him ending the terrible reign of Tyron Woodley.

Looking back, Woodleys reign wasn't actually that bad, he had a good fight against Till and his knockout of Lawler to win the title was clean. It's just that those fights vs. Wonderboy were so soul-crushingly terrible that it blots out everything else in my mind.

Haven't watched it since but memory says the 1st match was actually really good and entertaining. The 2nd absolutely sucked since Thompson was scared to throw and Woodley just kept waiting.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I remember the first fight as long moments of inaction with occasional fireworks, most notably the 10-8 round that turned it into a draw.

The second fight was one long moment of inaction. 11 strikes in the first round :eyepop:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The first fight was one of those which had really tense moments of inaction which preceded amazing exchanges. By the second fight they had figured out each other's setups so there were no openings and thus no exchanges.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Brut posted:

that would be... Overkill

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Brut posted:

This is a REAL good fight.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Southpaugh posted:

Reyes is one of the few guys in the division who both looks sharp, and isn't wildly outranged by Jones. So I'm looking forward to the fight and will be crushed when Reyes loses.

Edit: Loses and its not even close

Jones has a 6 inch reach advantage.

I'm shocked anyway feels so strongly at all about Masvidal

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

leftist heap posted:

Jones has a 6 inch reach advantage.

I'm shocked anyway feels so strongly at all about Masvidal

I knew he had a few inches on him - they are freakishly long. Didn't think it was that bad. But I hope the height being the same does something for him.

Masvidals having a moment guys come on.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

I knew he had a few inches on him - they are freakishly long. Didn't think it was that bad. But I hope the height being the same does something for him.

Gotta remember that's not even counting extended fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Marching Powder posted:

FIGHT like reebok will give you 2x more thousand dollars per brain damage after this one

Is a "brain damage" a unit of measurement, or did you mean "per brain damaged"?

e: management -> measurement, sorry for the CTE flare-up

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 5, 2020