Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hijacking a twothree year old effort post lmbo.

Yahoo! opened up today yesterday so fantasy baseball is officially back.

Here's me assessing my draft options and going for my super secret sleeper pick and the result that follows during the season
https://i.imgur.com/C3PcICf.mp4

Dingers, baby!

Put your keeper questions, sleeper questions, jeepers and creepers questions. They all go here. If you ask a question, you better put your league settings or else it'll probably get ignored.

News/Advice Stolen word for word from Last Year's OP was, "Draft Mookie" genius
Razzball - I typically draft using Grey's rankings, and I actually pay money for access to their Stream-O-Nator and HitterTron tools. Grey's daily summary posts are the first thing I read each morning during the season. In my opinion, this is the best fantasy baseball site out there.
FantasyAlarm - Ray Flowers gives very good advice and his rankings are typically solid. Can also follow him on Twitter @BaseballGuys, where he is very active during the season.
FanGraphs - The site you should all be using for your baseball stats. Lots of good articles as well, and the host of Ottoneu (see below.)
Rotoworld - General injury/transaction news geared towards fantasy players.
FantasyPros - Fantasy rankings aggregator (Spoeank Note: They are branching out into writing too, some good stuff there).
Ottoneu - I started playing Ottoneu last year and I love it. It's 12 team, 40 player MLB/MiLB dynasty with a $400 salary cap. If you are interested in doing a $50 FanGraphs Points startup league, let me know and I might start a goon league with enough interested parties.
Pitcher List - Amazing pitcher info, amazing pitcher .gifs.

Good Podcasts That Will Make You Smarter (IP note: lmao I have no idea if all of these even still exist, please share any good ones that aren't listed and tell me if I should remove any of these, also if you provide links I will even add that in!)
CBS Fantasy Baseball Today
ESPN Fantasy Focus (not that dumbfuck Matt Berry anymore)
Flags Fly Forever (Baseball Prospectus)
Sleeper and the Bust (Fangraphs)
MLB.com Fantasy 411 is technically good but I boycott it because they're no Cory Schwartz or Mike Schiano

GOOD AND COOL AND FUN STATISTICS YOU SHOULD USE
BABIP - Measures good or bad luck. League average is somewhere near .300, but different batting profiles can sustain higher or lower BABIP. Look to a player's career average. Look for high pitcher BABIP and low batter BABIP for sleepers, basically.
K-BB% (pitchers)- combines K% and BB%, which are better than K/9 and BB/9 for various reasons, and makes them into one number.
LOB% (pitchers) - A high LOB% with a low K% probably means the pitcher got really lucky and may be due for ERA regression.
Hard% in conjunction with ISO (hitters) - they have a strong enough correlation, and if someone has a good Hard% but a bad ISO, that could be bad luck (WELINGTON CASTILLO I'M LOOKIN AT YOU)
WRC+ (hitters) - easy to sort by to start from to figure out who is really good. It's a decent enough short hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Buxton will give you Acuna’s production at a fraction of the draft cost!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
THIS is the year for Kyle Schwarber, baby!

After 20 years it seems like my original home league is finally toast. We tried to keep it interesting and went from a snake draft to auction/keepers format about six or seven years ago, but most of the members don't keep up with it. I was the commish and getting tired of it, asked the group if someone else would take over. Crickets. Oh well. :smith:

Still gonna do two leagues I think, a cash league and the TGFBI satellite leagues that Justin Mason is running on Fantrax. Came in 3rd in my satellite last year because my pitching was dreadful (Taillon :smithicide:) but what can you do. The Cubs will be hot garbage this season so I'm trying to focus more on fantasy.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Drafted my first team of the season last night. Love the offense.

12 team h2h 5x5

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I renewed the Fire and Forget and Dinger leagues.

For the former I just renewed everyone's team so please post in the league if you're planning on staying (or if you want to be replaced), I'll probably cut anyone who doesn't reply sometime in the middle of February.

The Dinger league I have made with a fresh start, so please let me know if you would like to join. Current settings are 16 teams with 6 players each but that's flexible.

For those not familiar with the leagues: Fire and Forget is a Roto league where teams are completely locked immediately after the draft. The Dinger league is a points league where the only stat is dingers and rosters are just UTIL.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hell yeah lemme back into that Dinger League, I gotta defend my crown.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I want to join the dinger league if possible. I’ll send you a message though one of the other 30 leagues we’re in for an invite.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

im back in for dingers, for fire and forget, and the S&r keeper if thats happening again

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aye Doc posted:

im back in for dingers, for fire and forget, and the S&r keeper if thats happening again

you should have had auto renewals for the latter two of those so if your e-mail notifications are off check the yahoo page

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Anyone interested in a 20 dollar league so I don't have to go to the dregs of yahoo

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Doltos posted:

Anyone interested in a 20 dollar league so I don't have to go to the dregs of yahoo

Yes

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

you should have had auto renewals for the latter two of those so if your e-mail notifications are off check the yahoo page

ruh roh, definitely didnt get any emails but I'll check on site when I get home

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also I really can't recommend PitcherList highly enough. I'm a Pateron supporter so I could get into the Discord and them and you goddamn goons are the only people I can stand to talk baseball with.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

IcePhoenix posted:

I renewed the Fire and Forget and Dinger leagues.

I'm gonna make the fuckin draft this year

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Definitely draft Jacoby Ellsbury in the first 10 picks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

I'm gonna make the fuckin draft this year

I'll believe it when I see it

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Doltos posted:

start one up!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'll be back for Fire and Forget.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

anybody do nfbc?

also, do not draft buxton--i legitimately think he has brain damage. all of the concussions, the headaches, the collisions. he has all the symptoms of something neurologically gone wrong.

also, do draft luzardo and corey seager.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Excuse me the thread title clearly states that this is Byron Buxton's Year

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, i get it, and i love the guy, but something is seriously wrong with his head. he suffered multiple migraines after multiple concussions in his career and uhhh that is very much a blinking bright light indicating brain damage.

it's sad, and i really hope i'm wrong, but he probably should call it quits.

that said, i would be surprised if he gets more than 400pa.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

This is the year Buxton out-produces Trout.

abelwingnut posted:

also, do draft corey seager.

shhhhh.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 1, 2020

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Drafted my first team of the season last night. Love the offense.

12 team h2h 5x5

Traded Machado and Ryu for Devers and Bumgarner. Trade season is underway!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

https://prospects365.com/2020/02/02/the-2020-best-shape-of-his-life-log/

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

drafted 2 more teams.

yahoo 12 team H2H leagues. I know my RP in both is not great but I will figure that out in season when the closer carousel begins.

Team 1. Went offense heavy as usual. I loving love this team.

C:Will Smith
1b: Paul Goldschmidt
2b: Jonathan Villar
3B: Jose Ramirez
SS: Carlos Correa
OF: Ronald Acuna / Yordan Alvarez / Giancarlo Stanton
UTIL: Luis Robert / Marcell Ozuna
BN: Tommy Edman / Dylan Carlson / Avisail Garcia / Kolten Wong

SP: Zack Greinke / Zac Gallen / Jesus Luzardo / Carlos Martinez / Jake Odorizzi / AJ Puk
RP: Ian Kennedy / Keone Kela / Alex Reyes

Team 2: Went pitching heavy for once, not sure how to feel about it. I think it ended up ok.

C Will Smith
1B: Matt Olson
2B: Scott Kingery
3B: Anthony Rendon
SS: Tim Anderson
OF: Yordan Alvarez / George Springer / Luis Robert
UTIL: Shohei Otani / Byron Buxton
BN: Willie Calhoun / Nick Senzel / Dylan Carlson / Avisail Garcia

SP: Gerrit Cole / Zack Greinke / Jesus Luzardo / Carlos Martinez / Sonny Gray / Zack Wheeler / AJ Puk
RP: Mark Melancon / Alex Reyes

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 4, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Team two seems pretty clearly better than team one imo

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Team two seems pretty clearly better than team one imo

you may be right.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I think he was making a joke about team 2 having Buxton...

Can you show your draft for team 1? I'm curious how you landed Acuna/JoRam/Yordan/Stanton.

I haven't looked at ADP's yet this year, so that seems like a very good haul for the first 4 rds.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

:)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I got my first roto team out of the way. 12 team.

C: JT Realmuto
1B: Carlos Santana
2B: Whit Merrifield
3B: Yuli Gurriel
SS: Bo Bichette
OF: JD Martinez, Yordan Alvarez, Eloy Jimenez
UT: Michael Brantley, Edwin Encarnacion
BN: Jean Segura, David Peralta

SP: Jacob deGrom, Brandon Woodruff, Madison Bumgarner, Shohei Ohtani, Yonny Chirinos, Ross Stripling (?)
RP: Kenley Jansen, Keone Kela, Adam Ottavino, Zack Britton, Ryan Pressly

One guy was going crazy with pitching and snatching up all the targets I had, so I pieced together what I could. As is customary, I barely dip in to closers and the RP are just for ratios and extra strikeouts until I drop them for new closers.

I'm happy with how it turned out. I swore off sluggers who can't make contact. I don't care if their counting stats are a little down, as long as they don't go on 0/30 streaks. Though I took EE because 30+ HR and 90 or so RBI is good for a very late round pick. Could use a little more speed. We'll see.

I should call it EZ Riders

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 4, 2020

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Can you show your draft for team 1? I'm curious how you landed Acuna/JoRam/Yordan/Stanton.

I haven't looked at ADP's yet this year, so that seems like a very good haul for the first 4 rds.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 4, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I respect the balls to take Acuna over Trout

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I respect the balls to take Acuna over Trout

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Oh, we're doing the Jonathan Villar thing again this year?

Don't get me wrong, his counting stats were great and the average wasn't bad, but I wasn't fooled after 2016 and won't be this time either.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Moneyball posted:

Oh, we're doing the Jonathan Villar thing again this year?

Don't get me wrong, his counting stats were great and the average wasn't bad, but I wasn't fooled after 2016 and won't be this time either.

you do you fam.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Goon keeper league question....

7x7 with OBP, SLG, K/bb, and OBPA added.

we get 4 keepers.... I can't decide out of my 5 best options who to drop out.

Story
Judge
Yordan
JRam
Buehler

who do I drop back into the draft pool?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Story
Judge
Yordan
JRam
Buehler

Normally I say throw pitching back but the first 2/3 of JRam’s season was utter dogshit I might lean him.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

jabro posted:

Normally I say throw pitching back but the first 2/3 of JRam’s season was utter dogshit I might lean him.

yeah that's kinda how I was leaning.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
His utter dogshit was still on pace for 30+ steals. Speed is quite valuable currently.

You have a tough pick ahead of you, those are all studs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Story
Judge
Yordan
JRam
Buehler

I mean this sounds crazy but I would drop Yordan. Story/JRam have too much speed and you can't let a young ace like Buehler go. So for me it's Yordan or Judge and I think Judge has a higher floor. Also if Yordan is DH-only that hurts.