Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Stefan Prodan posted:

thank GOD there's a new british politics thread because I tried to post in the last one to ask something and it was closed

so what I want to know is

what does brexit mean

this but put brexit in there instead

http://halliejones.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Baudrillard-The-Gulf-War-did-not-Take-Place.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stefan Prodan posted:

thank GOD there's a new british politics thread because I tried to post in the last one to ask something and it was closed

what does brexit mean

I means Britain is no longer a European State

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Open season

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

staberind posted:

We have not declared Marshall Law, quite yet.
this will probably get p. hairy though.

I hereby declare Marshal Law

to be AWESOME.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

twoday posted:

I don't think there were many, if any, tories in the last thread

I think by now the EU is sick of endless negotiating, and having a whole extra year seems more than enough to negotiate a deal. IIRC they have already figured out a solution to the Northern Ireland problem, which was to make the trade border effectively be between NI and Britain, enforced by the UK entirely (which allows of course for a tremendous loophole of smuggling opportunities, and various other problems). I think most of the extension is to grant even further time for companies and governments to adjust to the reality of things, and work out some small kinks

My bad, meant the Tory gloating in the media whilst the UK blunders into the abyss over the next year. This clown show will only start getting interesting to follow again once the schadenfreude starts hitting, which requires suffering and hubris first.

Agean90 posted:

so when's Scotland gonna sack up and leave

Hopefully after the poo poo hits the fan, until people realize how hosed they are another referendum won't succeed anymore than the previous did.

In so far as one can enjoy watching a house of inbred racists slowly burn to the ground by their own making, I am looking forward to how the next act plays out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

roarpower posted:

no. you stupid people still have a monarchy in 2020. You are supposed to be a first world country

Are you American because lol if you think youdont have a monarchy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
We haven’t been first world since austerity was implemented in 2010.

Part of how Boris won the election was somehow convincing large parts of England that the reason the country is just so utterly poo poo was Labour meddling.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

Are you American because lol if you think youdont have a monarchy

oligarchies suck but that doesn't make them monarchies.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

US first families are treated exactly like royal families by the public and press

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

US first families are treated exactly like royal families by the public and press

counterpoint: JEB!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Mirror: Brexit chuds try to burn EU flag but fail due to EU fire-proofing regulations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
trying to imagine what would happen if a bunch of brown people would set the union jack on fire

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Having a monarchy and not being a member of the EU seems to work out for Norway, so I think Brexit should just be louder and angrier. And every time Prince Andrew is not in frame, everybody should ask "Where's Prince Andrew?".

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Norway are basically in the EU in all ways except having representation in the parliament, they're signed up to the four freedoms and pay into the budget. So the same as the UK for the next eleven months.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

what does brexit mean

that's what they call cookies

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

twoday posted:

I don't think there were many, if any, tories in the last thread

I think by now the EU is sick of endless negotiating, and having a whole extra year seems more than enough to negotiate a deal. IIRC they have already figured out a solution to the Northern Ireland problem, which was to make the trade border effectively be between NI and Britain, enforced by the UK entirely (which allows of course for a tremendous loophole of smuggling opportunities, and various other problems). I think most of the extension is to grant even further time for companies and governments to adjust to the reality of things, and work out some small kinks
On the one hand, the Tories do have a firmer majority to push through stupid deals, but a year doesn't seem like much when you consider the speed at which negotiations happened the last few infinitely long years.

Plus the Tories are probably gonna attempt to somehow trick the EU and roll back negotiations, somehow.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

British Liveleak is exactly what I thought it’d be named

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

A Buttery Pastry posted:

On the one hand, the Tories do have a firmer majority to push through stupid deals, but a year doesn't seem like much when you consider the speed at which negotiations happened the last few infinitely long years.

Plus the Tories are probably gonna attempt to somehow trick the EU and roll back negotiations, somehow.

Tories tricking the EU... or even the word negotiations. Hah!

Back when there was a chance the UK might come to its senses the EU took things slowly to not look too harsh if Brexit was reversed or was going to be very soft.

Now the EU's united against the UK and the Tories have zero leverage to negotiate. They're getting a Hobson's choice on the terms and there will be no loving about with extensions. There's no words for how fed up people are looking at Johnson and his lackeys and the EU, overwhelmingly supported by public opinion, will no longer be tolerating dithering about or Dumb Tory Bullshit.

When the deadline hits, there better be big reasons that are in no way the fault of the UK in reality or in the public's eyes for an extension to even be a real consideration. EU's been prepared to walk away from the table since the 2017 election, and Corbyn was the only open question. Even before that significant EU factions were calling for just telling Britain to gently caress off without any deal at all. Now the side calling for leniency has more or less joined them.

Or in shorter terms: Every major faction in the EU that doesn't hate the British in general really hate the Tories now. It's less of a negotiation and more the Tories being presented with two options, labeled "gently caress you" and "gently caress off".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

endlessmonotony posted:

Back when there was a chance the UK might come to its senses the EU took things slowly to not look too harsh if Brexit was reversed or was going to be very soft.

Now the EU's united against the UK and the Tories have zero leverage to negotiate. They're getting a Hobson's choice on the terms and there will be no loving about with extensions. There's no words for how fed up people are looking at Johnson and his lackeys and the EU, overwhelmingly supported by public opinion, will no longer be tolerating dithering about or Dumb Tory Bullshit.

When the deadline hits, there better be big reasons that are in no way the fault of the UK in reality or in the public's eyes for an extension to even be a real consideration. EU's been prepared to walk away from the table since the 2017 election, and Corbyn was the only open question. Even before that significant EU factions were calling for just telling Britain to gently caress off without any deal at all. Now the side calling for leniency has more or less joined them.

Or in shorter terms: Every major faction in the EU that doesn't hate the British in general really hate the Tories now. It's less of a negotiation and more the Tories being presented with two options, labeled "gently caress you" and "gently caress off".
My point isn't that they'll be able to, or that the EU will play ball with Tory shenanigans - but that the absolutely best faith negotiation I expect from any Tories would be them trying to trick the EU into a completely lopsided deal. It's basically the UK side of the argument for why a year isn't enough time to negotiate a deal, because one side isn't trying - and as you say - the other side would fight over who would get to push a big red button labeled "Britain sinks beneath the waves".

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

lol the tories are going to blame the big bad unelected eurocrats for not giving BRITAN the best deal ever and the gammons are going to believe them

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My point isn't that they'll be able to, or that the EU will play ball with Tory shenanigans - but that the absolutely best faith negotiation I expect from any Tories would be them trying to trick the EU into a completely lopsided deal. It's basically the UK side of the argument for why a year isn't enough time to negotiate a deal, because one side isn't trying - and as you say - the other side would fight over who would get to push a big red button labeled "Britain sinks beneath the waves".

Now now, not everyone in the EU hates Britain that badly. Everyone in the EU hates the Tories that much, but only some hate Britain in general that much.

The one thing agreed upon by all sides is the lack of trust in the Tories.

I mean, I guess I agree - at this point nobody trusts there will be a deal at all, and all you're getting in this timeframe for the UK is a Hobson's choice for a deal utterly... balanced, given the relative strengths of the sides.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

did big ben's bonger bong bigly for brexit, y/n

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It did not.

There were no bongs and there will be no bongs because the Tories are cocaine or nothing.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

"Hi, now we've left your fancy club and aren't going to pay our fees anymore, we'd still like you to give us all the perks of membership, please."
"Haha gently caress off, get to the back of the queue."

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

There's a reddit thread where people try to get leavers to seriously tell their reasons for voting that way.

After skimming it the top reasons are

Sovereignty
Immigration (poles)
The EU being a super state/federation and not being democratic
The UK being a money big for the poor countries such as Romania and greece

All in all I'm quite looking forward to this brave experiment the brits are undertaking, and wish them good luck. Lmao.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

GSD posted:

do we know what brexit means yet?

rum sodomy and the lash is back baby

awoo (wolf howl)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sabrina_huck/status/1223358824675008513?s=21

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

gh0stpinballa posted:

i think the mistake people are making is assuming that britain is "a country" or a "nation state" anymore. it isn't. it is a bunch of land that surrounds london, and london itself is not a city, it is a gigantic washing machine for billions of dollars of blood money that flows into it from gulf states and various oligarchs and organized crime groups all around the world. it is a ghost land where ghost acts stand in for real change. brexit, like the gulf war, did not really happen. this is why i am struggling to engage with the labour leadership race - until they recognize these facts about "the united kingdom", there is no hope.

Lol okay boomer

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

There's a reddit thread where people try to get leavers to seriously tell their reasons for voting that way.

After skimming it the top reasons are

Sovereignty
Immigration (poles)

Remind them that the Poles flew Spitfires alongside Are Brave Boys in the Battle Of Britain and literally gave their lives to help save us.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Well, he's not wrong.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

gh0stpinballa posted:

i think the mistake people are making is assuming that britain is "a country" or a "nation state" anymore. it isn't. it is a bunch of land that surrounds london, and london itself is not a city, it is a gigantic washing machine for billions of dollars of blood money that flows into it from gulf states and various oligarchs and organized crime groups all around the world. it is a ghost land where ghost acts stand in for real change. brexit, like the gulf war, did not really happen. this is why i am struggling to engage with the labour leadership race - until they recognize these facts about "the united kingdom", there is no hope.

You had me right up until 'somehow this is all Labour's fault'.

Yeah ok.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Isizzlehorn posted:

You had me right up until 'somehow this is all Labour's fault'.

Yeah ok.

I mean, a Labour outside of Corbyn ain't going to be poo poo.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/goodclimate/status/1223652474810195976

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If labour is gonna win the next election they gotta studiously avoid falling into the scotland trap, or the next election will just be a shitshow about labour trying to break up the UK.

If you feel bad about having to turn on scotland remember that all this is actually all their fault. If they had voted for independence it would have destroyed cameron and the tories and there wouldnt have been a brexit.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

hakimashou posted:

If labour is gonna win the next election they gotta studiously avoid falling into the scotland trap, or the next election will just be a shitshow about labour trying to break up the UK.

If you feel bad about having to turn on scotland remember that all this is actually all their fault. If they had voted for independence it would have destroyed cameron and the tories and there wouldnt have been a brexit.

you are consistently the dumbest poster on these forums op, don't you think it's time to find another hobby?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

hakimashou posted:

Poor little England, dragged out of the EU by the perfidious Highland barbarians. :-(

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Stoatbringer posted:

"Hi, now we've left your fancy club and aren't going to pay our fees anymore, we'd still like you to give us all the perks of membership, please."
"Haha gently caress off, get to the back of the queue."

"Ok, fine. How about we negotiate our new trade deal that we just scrapped. We would like everything as before, but cheaper please."
"Haha gently caress off, everything is now at least 10% more."
"I say, thats rather unfair. I'm going to complain!"
"To who?"
"Bugger!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

We haven’t been first world since austerity was implemented in 2010.

Part of how Boris won the election was somehow convincing large parts of England that the reason the country is just so utterly poo poo was Labour meddling.

As an outsider to UK politics, what struck me the most about pre election polls was that Boris is more prime ministerial. I was like "wtf does it even mean". On one hand you have an honest man with an uncompromised 20 year record of plain utilising power of government for the good of the people. And the other is lying cheating coward who hides in the fridge. How the gently caress is that prime ministerial? The answer is simple, british people are so thoroughly conditioned that they plain see honesty and benevolence is anti prime ministerial it scares them, and screwing you by your betters as right and proper British approach.