Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Sekenr posted:

As an outsider to UK politics, what struck me the most about pre election polls was that Boris is more prime ministerial. I was like "wtf does it even mean". On one hand you have an honest man with an uncompromised 20 year record of plain utilising power of government for the good of the people. And the other is lying cheating coward who hides in the fridge. How the gently caress is that prime ministerial? The answer is simple, british people are so thoroughly conditioned that they plain see honesty and benevolence is anti prime ministerial it scares them, and screwing you by your betters as right and proper British approach.

The bar for being a respectable leader has been considerably lowered in recent years.

If you can mumble through a speech without loudly sharting yourself or yelling racist slurs you've got a decent chance of getting elected.

I mean, even that level might be a tad optimistic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Stoatbringer posted:

The bar for being a respectable leader has been considerably lowered in recent years.

If you can mumble through a speech without loudly sharting yourself or yelling racist slurs you've got a decent chance of getting elected.

I mean, even that level might be a tad optimistic...

What is respectable leader? How much respectability is from family or school?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sekenr posted:

As an outsider to UK politics, what struck me the most about pre election polls was that Boris is more prime ministerial. I was like "wtf does it even mean". On one hand you have an honest man with an uncompromised 20 year record of plain utilising power of government for the good of the people. And the other is lying cheating coward who hides in the fridge. How the gently caress is that prime ministerial? The answer is simple, british people are so thoroughly conditioned that they plain see honesty and benevolence is anti prime ministerial it scares them, and screwing you by your betters as right and proper British approach.

The symbol for respectable authority in the UK is a posh british lad that went to Eton and, well...

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

The symbol for respectable authority in the UK is a posh british lad that went to Eton and, well...

I read this in very chav accent for some reason. Pretend I am your mate Davy, the galaxybrain, "the glory or our nation, mate is not celebrating royalty mate but by bending them over."

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Dance Officer posted:

Lol okay boomer

bless your heart, you still think like it is 2016, memes and all

i refer you to courageous investigative journalist roberto saviano and other brilliant economists, who have long since concluded that the only reason london exists - and by extension the rest of the uk - is because it is kept afloat on an ocean of illegal profits funnelled through The City. saviano is not a man given to drama, yet he has said the UK is the single most corrupt country on earth. very sad, but very important to swallow these difficult truths about our rainy fascist shithole.

gh0stpinballa has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Feb 2, 2020

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sekenr posted:

It's one of those things where our horrific press just unilaterally declare someone 'prime ministerial' or not, and thus is becomes reality. And the criteria as to whether you're 'prime ministerial' or not has nothing to do with your record, your acheivements, your personality or your conduct but whether you maintain suitably right-wing (and friendly-to-billionaires-who-own-newspapers) policies.

So Jeremy Corbyn was never going to be 'prime ministerial' despite, as you say, a near-perfect record as a campaigner, politician and MP. So he was criticised for being 'scruffy' because he had a beard and because they took pictures of him when he was 'off duty' and had just been working on his allotment. He 'disrespected the memory of our war heroes' by wearing a slightly padded (and perfectly smart) jacket on Remembrance Sunday, despite being entirely appropriately dapper and well-presented. Meanwhile Johnson shows up with a Saville Row overcoat strained over his beer gut, looking generally pasty-faced and flabby-cheeked, with his hair askew and he lays his wreath upside down and...silence.

The press always take a side and work backwards from there. Corbyn talked intelligently and with nuance and thus was 'arrogant' or an 'intellectual'. Johnson shambles around an interview and flings out lies, errors and racial slurs and is 'a straight-talker'. Had their personal styles been reversed the soft-spoken, considered Johnson would be 'an intellectual titan able to present complicated issues in a straightforward way' while slurry, hesitant, bumbling Corbyn would be a dumb leftie who can't even tie his own shoes (although they tried that attack line too, in between casting him as an ivory-towered North London intellectual elitist).

Same with one of the press' most pressing concerns - a fash-like 'strong leader'. Corbyn was never going to satisfy them because his policies weren't suitable (for the press barons), so if he enforced the party whip, kept his MPs strictly on line with agreed policy and punished dissent he was a petty tyrant who was the reincarnation of Stalin, Mao and Hoxha simultaneously. If he allowed a multiplicity of viewpoints and divergence of opinion he was a weak, hopeless doddery old grandad. Meanwhile Boris sacks so many of his own MPs that he loses is parliamentary majority and he's Our New Churchill Taking The Tough Decisions And Ruling With a Rod of Iron.

So a huge part of electorate has spent the last three years that Jeremy Corbyn is Not Prime Ministerial, and Boris has years, even before he became Tory leader, of being presented as some powerful everyman political giant. And round the circle goes - "Corbyn would be a terrible PM because I read in The Sun that he's a scruffy, shambolic, arrogant, stupid man. It must be true, it was in the papers".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1223666265946034178?s=20
https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1223671834916290570?s=20

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

It's one of those things where our horrific press just unilaterally declare someone 'prime ministerial' or not, and thus is becomes reality. And the criteria as to whether you're 'prime ministerial' or not has nothing to do with your record, your acheivements, your personality or your conduct but whether you maintain suitably right-wing (and friendly-to-billionaires-who-own-newspapers) policies.

So Jeremy Corbyn was never going to be 'prime ministerial' despite, as you say, a near-perfect record as a campaigner, politician and MP. So he was criticised for being 'scruffy' because he had a beard and because they took pictures of him when he was 'off duty' and had just been working on his allotment. He 'disrespected the memory of our war heroes' by wearing a slightly padded (and perfectly smart) jacket on Remembrance Sunday, despite being entirely appropriately dapper and well-presented. Meanwhile Johnson shows up with a Saville Row overcoat strained over his beer gut, looking generally pasty-faced and flabby-cheeked, with his hair askew and he lays his wreath upside down and...silence.

The press always take a side and work backwards from there. Corbyn talked intelligently and with nuance and thus was 'arrogant' or an 'intellectual'. Johnson shambles around an interview and flings out lies, errors and racial slurs and is 'a straight-talker'. Had their personal styles been reversed the soft-spoken, considered Johnson would be 'an intellectual titan able to present complicated issues in a straightforward way' while slurry, hesitant, bumbling Corbyn would be a dumb leftie who can't even tie his own shoes (although they tried that attack line too, in between casting him as an ivory-towered North London intellectual elitist).

Same with one of the press' most pressing concerns - a fash-like 'strong leader'. Corbyn was never going to satisfy them because his policies weren't suitable (for the press barons), so if he enforced the party whip, kept his MPs strictly on line with agreed policy and punished dissent he was a petty tyrant who was the reincarnation of Stalin, Mao and Hoxha simultaneously. If he allowed a multiplicity of viewpoints and divergence of opinion he was a weak, hopeless doddery old grandad. Meanwhile Boris sacks so many of his own MPs that he loses is parliamentary majority and he's Our New Churchill Taking The Tough Decisions And Ruling With a Rod of Iron.

So a huge part of electorate has spent the last three years that Jeremy Corbyn is Not Prime Ministerial, and Boris has years, even before he became Tory leader, of being presented as some powerful everyman political giant. And round the circle goes - "Corbyn would be a terrible PM because I read in The Sun that he's a scruffy, shambolic, arrogant, stupid man. It must be true, it was in the papers".

Are you for real or so destitute that baiting Brown moses to hire you as a copyrighter? Where do you stand with this essay

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

remember when the boy said ulysses was his favourite book and the press took this as a diabolical outrage against workington man, who loves the simple things in life like drinking warm lager and beating his wife with a bag of sports direct footwear, no time for that student union "reading" nonsense

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
tories have very powerful chaos energy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

remember when the boy said ulysses was his favourite book and the press took this as a diabolical outrage against workington man, who loves the simple things in life like drinking warm lager and beating his wife with a bag of sports direct footwear, no time for that student union "reading" nonsense

Lol no they didn't believe him because he obviously couldn't have been able to read Joyce as he didn't go to Oxbridge

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Imagine being some EU bureaucrat having to negotiate any kind of deal with Britain in the coming year

I would just quit my job and start a new career, I think

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The UK is that one kid that all professors despise. The one who never shows up and asks for extensions to homework.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So what's going to happen to scotland? One guy I was speaking to (a racist, pro trump free market capitalist boomer/Gen x type) said it worked like this: They voted to stay with the UK. Now that the UK is leaving they're stuck with that and have to stick with the UK (even though scotland on its own wanted to stay with the EU). This logic is laughably inconsistent and dumb and in character for the guy.

But can scotland jump ship back to the EU? And will the EU welcome them back?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Basically there's two ways for Scotland to leave, by election or by violence. BORIS already said they aren't authorizing another Independence referendum so that only leaves one option

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

i think the mistake people are making is assuming that britain is "a country" or a "nation state" anymore. it isn't. it is a bunch of land that surrounds london, and london itself is not a city, it is a gigantic washing machine for billions of dollars of blood money that flows into it from gulf states and various oligarchs and organized crime groups all around the world. it is a ghost land where ghost acts stand in for real change. brexit, like the gulf war, did not really happen. this is why i am struggling to engage with the labour leadership race - until they recognize these facts about "the united kingdom", there is no hope.

Good callback to that classic essay OP

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Agean90 posted:

Basically there's two ways for Scotland to leave, by election or by violence. BORIS already said they aren't authorizing another Independence referendum so that only leaves one option

Where does Wales, Cornwell, Northern Ireland and Real Ireland stand if Scotland decides to gently caress off or get hosed up?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Outrail posted:

Where does Wales, Cornwell, Northern Ireland and Real Ireland stand if Scotland decides to gently caress off or get hosed up?

couldn't even begin to tell you. If the Scots decide to separate and has a real movement still backing it up (ie the year long delay of real brexit doesn't sedate everyone into apathy) then youre watching a country dissolve in real time, which will be unpredictable to say the least

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Imagine being some EU bureaucrat having to negotiate any kind of deal with Britain in the coming year

seems like it would be pretty easy though

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SardonicTyrant posted:

The UK is that one kid that all professors despise. The one who never shows up and asks for extensions to homework.

oh, a bojo!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

[https://www.ft.com/content/af7ac1d8-441a-11ea-9a2a-98980971c1ff

could someone tell the financial times what Brexit means?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
lol scotland's not leaving. the uk's just going to get shitter and shitter for the unfortunates who are trapped there

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

So what's going to happen to scotland? One guy I was speaking to (a racist, pro trump free market capitalist boomer/Gen x type) said it worked like this: They voted to stay with the UK. Now that the UK is leaving they're stuck with that and have to stick with the UK (even though scotland on its own wanted to stay with the EU). This logic is laughably inconsistent and dumb and in character for the guy.

But can scotland jump ship back to the EU? And will the EU welcome them back?

It’s interesting how those sorts are always gleeful that Scotland is stuck with us. Like they know it’s bad for Scotland. Like they know it’s a sinking ship.

Outrail posted:

Wales isn’t going anywhere. Reasons range from a depressed despondant populace to the more controversial such as there’s just too many old English retirees here now who just want wales to be England with cheap housing. Also everyone with drive leaves quickly. Cardiff might retain some talent but the rest of here is a wasteland of the old or sick.

I guess Wales is like an entire country of those dying American towns you see on tv. The ones where everyone is always leaving and everything slowly closes.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Feb 2, 2020

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Well, that didn't take long.

Racist Brexit sign demanding tower block residents speak English reported to police

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Outrail posted:

wales and cornwell both voted for brexit despite being some of the areas most dependent on EU funding and lol at boris keeping that up

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm sorry but they would expect British people to learn to speak their language from where they came from so why shouldn't they have to learn English if they come to live here? Inside their own home they can speak any language they want but when speaking to a British person they should speak English.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

oliwan posted:

I'm sorry but they would expect British people to learn to speak their language from where they came from so why shouldn't they have to learn English if they come to live here? Inside their own home they can speak any language they want but when speaking to a British person they should speak English.

The flats are their own homes, you pillock.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

oliwan posted:

British expats, noted for adopting the local language

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oliwan posted:

That's not what the lovely fash letter says though

(Also you have clearly never seen the horrid boomer ex-pat communities full of your racist granny living on the Costa Del Sol in nightmarish spots with nothing but other old white racist Brits who can't even manage to say "Por Favor")

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus christ ops that is obviously a quote from the comments

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oliwan posted:

jesus christ ops that is obviously a quote from the comments

Probably says something about the high calibre of your posting.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

(Also you have clearly never seen the horrid boomer ex-pat communities full of your racist granny living on the Costa Del Sol in nightmarish spots with nothing but other old white racist Brits who can't even manage to say "Por Favor")

Can't wait to see these people beaten and deported, their english pubs burnt to the ground.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

twoday posted:

I don’t know, I think seeing the realisation slowly dawn on the UK negotiators that this isn’t going to be “the easiest negotiation ever” and that their position is actually very weak could be quite enjoyable.

As for Brexit being a disaster, don’t forget that Dear Leader is in favour of it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

therattle posted:

I don’t know, I think seeing the realisation slowly dawn on the UK negotiators that this isn’t going to be “the easiest negotiation ever” and that their position is actually very weak could be quite enjoyable.

As for Brexit being a disaster, don’t forget that Dear Leader is in favour of it.

You're making the mistake of thinking they a) want a deal and b) therefore care about anything other than looking strong at home

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

You're making the mistake of thinking they a) want a deal and b) therefore care about anything other than looking strong at home

I think they do want a deal because they still look after business interests to a degree, but that may well conflict with your b, which is also a powerful factor.

I think when it comes to China and the US we are going to be absolutely shafted.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

therattle posted:

I think they do want a deal because they still look after business interests to a degree, but that may well conflict with your b, which is also a powerful factor.

I think when it comes to China and the US we are going to be absolutely shafted.

They don't give a gently caress op, all the brexit decisions are made for short term domestic political concerns and personal greed. The people who funded Boris' leadership campaign actually want No Deal

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

therattle posted:

And Brussels is to blame! :argh:

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

therattle posted:

I highly doubt that the negotiators think it's going to be easy given they will all be career diplomats.

It's the Tory partisans and leadership that would have to realise it, but instead they will blame the deep state and the perfidious EU.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Purple Prince posted:

I highly doubt that the negotiators think it's going to be easy given they will all be career diplomats.

It's the Tory partisans and leadership that would have to realise it, but instead they will blame the deep state and the perfidious EU.

absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/LondonEconomic/status/1223753626985926656?s=19