Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Remember that report about China planning to speed-build a couple of hospitals to deal with the current outbreak?
There's a post about the results, and the one from the famous construction site pic is supposedly operational already.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-51280586

Social media is eating this poo poo up, and I'm sure the facility is going to provide some amazing throughput numbers specifically for the current situation, but calling a rapidly-built modular structure a fully-functional hospital is a bit of a stretch.
The logistics behind this are legit intriguing to me and I really, really want to read more about it, but my bullshit-flag flew hard at the picture of the MRI

If you throw enough man-hours at it, almost anything is possible.

From the images, it is entirely lightweight prefab style construction, which is to say that if anything worse than a mild rainstorm hits that building, it's going to be rather unpleasant, and possibly dangerous.

The point is to increase capacity for triage and isolation for the current outbreak. Anything not related can go to the already existing hospital.

Here in the US, they put MRIs in mobile trailers and haul them around the country to hospitals who don't have them. No different here, just fewer wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MRC48B posted:

From the images, it is entirely lightweight prefab style construction, which is to say that if anything worse than a mild rainstorm hits that building, it's going to be rather unpleasant, and possibly dangerous.

The point is to increase capacity for triage and isolation for the current outbreak. Anything not related can go to the already existing hospital.

Here in the US, they put MRIs in mobile trailers and haul them around the country to hospitals who don't have them. No different here, just fewer wheels.

Chabuduo

people gonna die

more so

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah. Smaller hospitals may not have all the big dollar equipment so some stuff gets hauled around between them for checks that aren't critical. I forget what it was but we had a mobile lab at our hospital a few weeks ago.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

There are a lot of things to criticize about the CCP's reaction to this outbreak.

Building temporary facilities overnight should be at the bottom of your list.

If they're still using those "Hospitals" a few years from now, then fire away. But for now they need the clinic space.

Here in the US we'd be converting sports stadiums or erecting large tent cities.

One of the few advantages of authoritarian governments is the ability to mobilize large projects like this quickly.

EDIT: those construction workers would otherwise be occupied building lovely "luxury" housing that never gets occupied. Probably the most useful project they've worked on in years.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Adam smith crying flag over all the empty dead malls that could be built instead

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MRC48B posted:

There are a lot of things to criticize about the CCP's reaction to this outbreak.

Building temporary facilities overnight should be at the bottom of your list.

If they're still using those "Hospitals" a few years from now, then fire away. But for now they need the clinic space.

Here in the US we'd be converting sports stadiums or erecting large tent cities.

One of the few advantages of authoritarian governments is the ability to mobilize large projects like this quickly.

EDIT: those construction workers would otherwise be occupied building lovely "luxury" housing that never gets occupied. Probably the most useful project they've worked on in years.

Wouldn't a sports stadium be way better because you don't have to burn down and bulldoze the structure after? Don't know the numbers off the top of my head but considering Australia is literally on fire and climate is hosed across the globe I can't really applaud anyone making disposable construction.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Eej posted:

Wouldn't a sports stadium be way better because you don't have to burn down and bulldoze the structure after? Don't know the numbers off the top of my head but considering Australia is literally on fire and climate is hosed across the globe I can't really applaud anyone making disposable construction.

i mean, normally, but they've got the loving plague, man

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Patware posted:

i mean, normally, but they've got the loving plague, man

It’s this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eej posted:

Does the US army just bulldoze and destroy its field hospitals when they’re done?

Wait maybe I don’t want to know the answer to that one

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

drowning my captain trips concerns in lols at this latest poll from iowa

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

hobbesmaster posted:

Does the US army just bulldoze and destroy its field hospitals when they’re done?

Wait maybe I don’t want to know the answer to that one

I'm pretty sure that's never been how the army handles field hospitals.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
In recent history we've let the Russians have them.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

In recent history we've let the Russians have them.

:golfclap:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wow, Bernie getting after it. Really look forward to whether the DNC tries to sabotage him at the convention or if they tank him during the general. Whether he's the nominee or not it's going to be really rad getting told for years how this is all our fault because we didn't support centrist Dem candidates and wanted things like "not to go into bankruptcy for a broken arm" or "not to be debt slaves"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

MRC48B posted:

I'm not denying how impressive the logistical effort of that undertaking is, I'm in fact pretty drat impressed by it, the issue is just that, right now, they need procedure and capacity tailored to a specific purpose, not a couple of extra all-purpose instant-hospitals that barely contribute on the scale that currently matters, and will probably be obsolete/derelict/demolished after this outbreak is over.

It's an impressive prestige project that a country like China can easily make happen, and will earn global brownie points for, but outside of that, it's really just a marketing stunt.

The whole MRI as a cherry on top of the dog-and-pony show for me is that a friend of mine works in that very division at Siemens, and had a healthy laugh at that specific picture.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Spray some Lysol in there and call it modular housing for the homeless

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1224077132713820161

Great journalism by Hannity

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Any time Hannity shows his stupid face in public people should follow him around with towels and jugs of water.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1224076304217202689

Remember when Kerry won what should have been a layup in 2004

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Eej posted:

DONT Spray some Lysol in there and call it modular housing for the homeless Uyghur

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

Remember when Kerry won what should have been a layup in 2004

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1224088942519164929

shame on an IGA posted:

drowning my captain trips concerns in lols at this latest poll from iowa

Here's the real motherfucker:

https://twitter.com/amjoyshow/status/1223647822614007808

Again, Bernie-->Trump voters were not very significant, or at least no more significant than usual in 2016. Just lollin at the numbers. The Yang stuff is hilarious too.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 2, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thats the superbowl interview right? Its never supposed to have been a hard hitting interview.

I love Trump trying to insult Moscow but remembering he has a hotel there so its actually the greatest. The only way it could've been better is if he said something like "you don't necessarily think in terms of marriage until Trump Hotel Moscow, the greatest wedding venue"

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:kiss:

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats the superbowl interview right? Its never supposed to have been a hard hitting interview.

I love Trump trying to insult Moscow but remembering he has a hotel there so its actually the greatest. The only way it could've been better is if he said something like "you don't necessarily think in terms of marriage until Trump Hotel Moscow, the greatest wedding venue"

It wasn't going to be hardhitting but man it shouldn't be two minutes of hate before the Super Bowl

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1224088942519164929

Again, Bernie-->Trump voters were not very significant, or at least no more significant than usual in 2016. Just lollin at the numbers. The Yang stuff is hilarious too.

That's tweet isn't too shocking. It doesn't say that they'll vote for Trump if their preferred candidate doesn't win the nominee, just that they are only interested in one candidate or it depends on who the nominee is. And based off the earlier graph with Biden having 1% of the 18-34 crowd, I could believe a large percentage of that age bracket just wouldn't care to vote if he won the primary.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's an impressive prestige project that a country like China can easily make happen, and will earn global brownie points for, but outside of that, it's really just a marketing stunt.

That’s exactly what it’s for.

“Do something!”
“Ok we’re imposing a quarantine”
“DO SOMETHING!”
“Here’s an hospital.”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

And this is why the Democrats will probably lose. They only win if they show up united; if the party doesn't ratfuck Bernie out of the nomination and slide it to Biden, Bernie loses the general. Dems who turn to Trump aren't the problem, Dems who stay home will be.

Warren is likely better in the general, but it doesn't look good for her getting there in the first place.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If they don't nominate Sanders or proceed to gently caress him over during the campaign we are going to see the party just murder itself trying to eliminate any and all non-centrists and totally hand it over to the GOP to gently caress us in to oblivion. We will be told this is all millenials faults for not being more responsible about health savings accounts

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

FrozenVent posted:

That’s exactly what it’s for.

“Do something!”
“Ok we’re imposing a quarantine”
“DO SOMETHING!”
“Here’s an hospital.”
Would prefer a "Here's a meaningful shift in our authoritarian government that encourages proactive steps against emerging problems and fosters accountability for those who govern from those whom they govern," tbh

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Godholio posted:

And this is why the Democrats will probably lose. They only win if they show up united; if the party doesn't ratfuck Bernie out of the nomination and slide it to Biden, Bernie loses the general. Dems who turn to Trump aren't the problem, Dems who stay home will be.

Warren is likely better in the general, but it doesn't look good for her getting there in the first place.

Doesn't every poll on the subject show Sanders doing significantly better against Trump in the general than Warren? Better than every other candidate in fact?

edit: looked at a bunch and it looks like Biden is a little stronger in the general* than Sanders but Warren is consistently even lower. The only way Warren is getting in the white house is as Sanders VP.

*according to the polling at this time.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 2, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever posted:

Would prefer a "Here's a meaningful shift in our authoritarian government that encourages proactive steps against emerging problems and fosters accountability for those who govern from those whom they govern," tbh

Lmao

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Hey all ,

Is there any upside at all to being one of those saps that gets put on camera standing at attention at stupid dark thirty at el adid [sp] or similar for a glamor shot on National TV during the super bowl’s National Anthem?

Like do you get a nice snack spread with the TV people or something?

Or do they all just get this to deal with on top of regular duty stuff?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

And I’d like a pony for Christmas.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

my kinda ape posted:

Doesn't every poll on the subject show Sanders doing significantly better against Trump in the general than Warren? Better than every other candidate in fact?

edit: looked at a bunch and it looks like Biden is a little stronger in the general* than Sanders but Warren is consistently even lower. The only way Warren is getting in the white house is as Sanders VP.

I'd be down for Sanders/Warren or Warren/Sanders. Either is way better than the alternatives.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

Hey all ,

Is there any upside at all to being one of those saps that gets put on camera standing at attention at stupid dark thirty at el adid [sp] or similar for a glamor shot on National TV during the super bowl’s National Anthem?

I guarantee their command made them jump through hoops for the "privilege."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"BUT YOU GET TO GO TO SUPAH BAWL!"
"I'd rather sit at home and jack it"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Standing around at attention for any amount of time is never the right choice

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

fresh_cheese posted:

Hey all ,

When I was a recruiter in Cleveland in 07 or 08, we had to do the flag ceremony for the Cavs/Pistons playoff game. I brought a bunch of poolees in their USMC shirts and reservists in their Dress Blues. Before the game they had a giant room full of catered and stadium food and probably half the of Cavs came over and gave all the kids autographs and pictures and stuff. Charles Barkley and one of the other commentators came in too and spent 15 minutes or so talking basketball with everyone.
After the ceremony, everyone got seats to watch the game (not great seats but it was the playoffs).

I'd imagine something like that is a pretty standard setup.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

my kinda ape posted:

Are we back at "electability" now?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

So I found a thing the other day.

It's a british economist lecturing about, well, how boomers are still stealing all the wealth from everyone else and he brings graphs and facts.
The thing is... it's Lord David Willets, who was a conservative MP and in Thatcher's government in the 80s. He's a boomer as well.

It's a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXzvjBYW8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Here's your regular reminder that Biden and probably Warren won't act fast enough or meaningfully enough on climate change or dealing with the more toxic elements of late stage capitalism to even have a chance at turning the ship around before it all collapses into Fury Road.

I guess things will be a bit less racist in the lead up though?

Either way, my country is on fire, and our idiot opposition party won't adopt a progressive agenda because they think it lost them the last election (it didn't), so let's put this third way poo poo to bed, set a good example for the rest of the idiot west, and either start taking some power structures apart, or have us a good old constitutional crisis already.